Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Well, well, well. Woulda look at that. :-)

TK

Regarding the defense, one thing that tempers my optimism is Nick Foles. He was awful yesterday. Whenever we needed him to make a small mistake to end a drive, he did.  He didn't throw a pick but he was not very good. Eli is much better.

After watching She-li give it away yesterday against the Falcons I'm not too worried about him. But, I'm scared that this week is a potential trap game. Another test for our emerging team: can they avoid falling to the Gnats, go out and just handle them efficiently? I'm guardedly optimistic they can.

I prefer being the underdog.

Not me. I prefer teams to fear us. Know what we're bringing. Know they're going to be hating life Monday. That's how it was. That's how it's going to be again.

I love this style of football. Hey giants, we're kicking in your front door and we're going to stomp the ever loving **** out of you and you can't stop us.

**** yeah.

Agreed. Eli will be the best Quarterback we've seen thus far AND it's a Division Road Game. If the good Eli shows up Thursday night, then we'll have an accurate gauge of where we stand Defensively. But I know they won't Run on us!

It will be a good test. That is a desperate 0-2 team with a division loss already under their belt, feeling like they gave away two games they should have won, playing at home. I expect a dogfight.

Cantonbound mentioned the swarming d. I'll add to that I noticed several times our guys rushing to jump on a ball, even when it was pretty clear it wasn't a fumble (but no whistle). That's all hustle, and a very positive reflection on the mindset and attitude Barry is instilling in the guys

I prefer being the underdog.  I also believe what I see more then what I hear.  And there's no way around it, all our division games look a helluva lot more winnable all of the sudden, home or away.

remember 1982 season when the Skins won SB XVII?  Underdogs in just about if not every game.  You'd have made a killing betting on them to win.  Mark Murphy kind of the defacto spokesman for the Defense made a huge motivational thing about the Skins getting no respect

I have run out of likes, but I would have used them up in this thread if I hadn't already used them all.

Regarding the defense, one thing that tempers my optimism is Nick Foles. He was awful yesterday. Whenever we needed him to make a small mistake to end a drive, he did.  He didn't throw a pick but he was not very good. Eli is much better.

He was terrible, but a large part of that was our coverage is better and our DL and LBs are better. More pressure and better coverage = terrible QBing.

Anyway, here's the reason I'm not so worried about the Giants game this week:

Culliver, Hall, Breeland. All of them are healthy and none of them are suspended for the first time this season. This should be AWESOME.

Boy, I'm just so utterly shocked a GM with an over-arching philosophy; adding players according to this philosophy; keeping a consistent message throughout the organization based on this philosophy would actually... you know... see some results during the season bearing the fruits of this philosophy.

Just floored by this development. Suddenly, the coaches look competent while utilizing these players acquired based on this philosophy. Earth-shattering, who knew?

That's my thing with Danny.   The idea that he just wants to win and he's tried everything.  Yeah he's tried everything but the most common recipe in the NFL to winning.  Not to get ahead of myself, but if we get three drafts or so under Scot -- like SF and Seattle (with Schneider obviously part of the mix in Seattle, too), we actually might build a perennial contender.

Keeping and adding draft picks versus giving them away - and having a real football GM with real pedigree call the shots -- Danny believe it or not that might actually work so please stick with it! 

I have run out of likes, but I would have used them up in this thread if I hadn't already used them all.

He was terrible, but a large part of that was our coverage is better and our DL and LBs are better. More pressure and better coverage = terrible QBing.

Culliver, Hall, Breeland. All of them are healthy and none of them are suspended for the first time this season. This should be AWESOME.

that should allow us to really attack early. Robinson and goldston are playing great too. KRob has been outstanding and Riley is excelling in the hammer role.

They have one weapon on offense, OBJ and our big corners are a good match. I hope to see more blitzing this game.

Offense shouldn't have to play as much protection against this defense either,but if we do have to rely on it, we know we're good at it.

...Cantonbound mentioned the swarming d. I'll add to that I noticed several times our guys rushing to jump on a ball, even when it was pretty clear it wasn't a fumble (but no whistle). That's all hustle, and a very positive reflection on the mindset and attitude Barry is instilling in the guys

It's pride. You can tell these guys have pride in their work. It shows in how they're coming after people. Chip on the shoulder or whatever, but you can see they want to prove to everyone how they can dominate.

I haven't seen pride in our players for a long time. Maybe temper tantrums for when things aren't going their way (pride because they overestimate their talent) and stuff like that, but not genuine deserved pride.

Yep, I get it. We had decent pressure most of the day, although it only yielded a single sack (I think).  He made a bunch of dumb 3rd down plays though, like one time the ball slipped out of his hands and another time he tripped and fell in the open field with nobody around him. Those things add up. Eli could be equally terrible, but an 0-2 Giants team at home against a Division opponent? I think it will be a better read on our defense.  If we have another strong showing, I'm on board. But I like what I see thus far.

Definitely agree that our DB corp will be full strength for the first time this year and coupled with a surging front 7, we're set up pretty well.

...Robinson and goldston are playing great too....

Robinson really has been playing well. He's the surprise on D that's stepped up to fill in a big role. I'm really happy with the way he was flying around yesterday. I'm looking for the Giants to try and focus their game plan on him because Goldson has been great and is more of a known than Robinson.

The crazy part is, that there doesn't appear to be a huge hole anywhere, no one to specifically attack, besides maybe Robinson. 

I've really been impressed with Barry's defense though, every time I look the team is playing in a different formation from 3-4 to 4-3. It's awesome. People have no idea how to attack the Skins because they have no obvious weakness and they'll have a hard time trying to nail us down as a 3-4 or 4-3.

I love the smash mouth identity we have, Gruden said as much after the game that we're a running team, we have two punishing backs and our line looks great running the ball, the transition to the power game looks good. Joe Barry has been amazing, I like seeing what he does with his defense, and feel like he's the most underrated hire This year

Yep, I get it...Definitely agree that our DB corp will be full strength for the first time this year and coupled with a surging front 7, we're set up pretty well.

Yeah, and like I said in the Twitter thread, we did just beat the Rams who haven't had a winning season since 2003, so I'm not going to go overboard on the team for that. 

Honestly though, the part of the team that makes me worry is the offense, not the D.

Yeah, and like I said in the Twitter thread, we did just beat the Rams who haven't had a winning season since 2003, so I'm not going to go overboard on the team for that.

Honestly though, the part of the team that makes me worry is the offense, not the D.

that's one thing that has me upbeat. Our alleged weakness, oline against opponents strength and we've done well and even improved.

1st round pick - starter from day 1. Successful holding off probowlers.

2nd round pick - situational player already with 1 sack in limited playing time.

3rd rounder - already has a 100 yard game.

4th rounder - backup.

5th rounder -returning kicks.

Except Galette, who got injured, all FA signings looking like solid value acquisitions. Noone I can think of being overpaid. Even Dashon G who came with a bigger pricetag has been invaluable taking London Fletcher's old role of on field General.

Compare Culliver and Knighton signings with Haynesworthless and Archuleta.

I can see Gruden getting taken down a notch like Billick in Baltimore and coerced into a ground and pound while all of his pass happy instincts languish.

The D has done a great job with the run game and put offenses in predictable situations. It's been fun to see offenses consistently in 3rd and long situations. With that said, the first two games have pitted skins against to average qbs and supporting casts. Encouraging up to this pint though.

Is Gruden the worse coach in the NFL still Is  RGIII still the starter who is being unjustly benched?  Is Cousins still the worse QB ever who is 2-8 and throws INT's like he's a combination of Ryan Leaf and Heath Shuler?

Yeah, didn't think so.  Have patience.  This team is going to continue to improve now that they have Scot as GM and Cousins at the helm.

Joe Barry.. wow.  What a turn around!  

The D has done a great job with the run game and put offenses in predictable situations. It's been fun to see offenses consistently in 3rd and long situations. With that said, the first two games have pitted skins against to average qbs and supporting casts. Encouraging up to this pint though.

I think the big difference is about punting. Last year, we rarely forced any. People forgave the defense saying they were worn out due to the offense stinking. I often asked if the were worn out in the first quarter on the first drive.

We almost never forced a three and out or even a nine and out. This D is helping the offense just as much as the O's long drives help the defense.

Ask me after the midpoint of the season how I feel about all this.  Sounds and looks great right now.  But after opposing coordinators get a chance to look at some extensive tape on both sides of the ball and adjust accordingly is when we will truly know what we have here. 

I think its clear that we have some pieces and that GMSM's philosophy about being nasty up front is paying early dividends.

Where I get cautious is patting the backs of Gruden/McVay and Barry.  If they can show me innovation and good adjustments later on in the season, I'll be all in.

Archived