Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Well, well, well. Woulda look at that. :-)

TK

I don't care how many Super Bowls he has won, or how much he's hurt us in the past, I can't be afraid of this.

(Eli drunk pic)

I just love that they signed that moron to another 5 years!  His days of "elite" are LONG over.

Just about as happy as I was when Yoda signed frequent-ambulance-flyer Romo to another 5 years!

Regarding the defense, one thing that tempers my optimism is Nick Foles. He was awful yesterday. Whenever we needed him to make a small mistake to end a drive, he did. He didn't throw a pick but he was not very good. Eli is much better.

Wrong. There was a stat towards the end of the game that showed how many pressures, hits, sacks, knock downs, etc. that we did to him. We were in his grill all game. It wasn't just "decent" pressure, it was pressure most of the game. He didn't play bad. We made him play bad. Jeez, can this team get a little damn credit from our fans? Oh and we stuffed the run and made them one dimensional. Defense is not all about sacks.  Getting pressures, knockdowns and hits are just as valuable.

Where I get cautious is patting the backs of Gruden/McVay and Barry.  If they can show me innovation and good adjustments later on in the season, I'll be all in.

Same here. My opinion right now is this early "success" is due to the personnel upgrades by SM and the massive talent improvements he brought to the roster, and has little to do with coaching. Otherwise, we'd probably be tied for #1 in the division. I'll wait to give bigger credit to Gruden and the coaches (with the exception of Callahan who has done a stellar job with a line that all of us thought would be slightly better than hot-trash) until/if we are close to winning the division at regular season end.

Right now it is too soon to tell about a lot of things, but I hope that this start let's Scot tell TheDan "See? This is how you get there, you have to let it play out"

Helluva start though, two solid games against good Ds, the lockerroom has to feel something building. I have maintained for decades that the psychology of winning is wildly underrated, let this team believe and you never know what might happen.

Agreed. Great post

That's my thing with Danny.   The idea that he just wants to win and he's tried everything.  Yeah he's tried everything but the most common recipe in the NFL to winning.  Not to get ahead of myself, but if we get three drafts or so under Scot -- like SF and Seattle (with Schneider obviously part of the mix in Seattle, too), we actually might build a perennial contender.

Keeping and adding draft picks versus giving them away - and having a real football GM with real pedigree call the shots -- Danny believe it or not that might actually work so please stick with it! 

It is ridiculous that it took this long... but we're here now. I still worry about Dan if we do have success. I feel like that's exactly when he inserts himself and all hell breaks loose. 

I don't care what anyone says, there is a pattern there and it can't be coincidental. 

After the 2005 playoff run, we go nuts in Free Agency and overpay for everyone. And while Gibbs was Team President and in charge of personnel, he was saying at the time how instrumental Dan was to all the decisions.  

After the 2007 playoff run and Gibbs subsequently retiring, we have one of the most embarrassing Head Coaching searches in NFL history, with Fassel essentially being named before being named and all of the coaches he wants brought in. We know the rest.   

Remember the back-to-back division games under Zorn that we won in 2008? Dan basically took over the locker room from there, with his buddy Portis.   

(This one is sure to ruffle some feathers, but oh well) Next up is 2012. An amazing 7 game winning streak to cap off what was an incredible display of offensive scheming by the coaches and QB play by Robert the entire season. It ends terribly with Robert getting hurt, and Dan plays a major role in allowing the issue to fester and perpetuate by siding with the subordinate (the player, Robert) over the authority by title (Head Coach). 

Every single time we have success his direct involvement and undermining of positions are there immediately afterwards. And then we fail in the most miserable of ways. Every. Time.

It's not about right or wrong. It's about maintaining the organizational structure conducive to success. Allowing the various experts to fulfill their roles even if you disagree. 

He seems to do that for a time and everything is quiet... but, imho, it's like he goes wild once there's any sign of success and wants to make sure it's sustained, and we start hearing about all the craziness going on inside the building. It's hard to point at that and say he has nothing to do with it, it's all a coincidence. 

We're just going to have to find out if this time it's different. With the way the team is trending, the test might be sooner than we initially thought. 

I will give Gruden some credit, but at this point my praise is more pointed towards the GM, Bill Callahan, and Joe Barry.

Who didn't bash the hiring of Barry? So far so good and this was two straight weeks missing a starting CB and playing without the starting safety for a game and a half.

Callahan has found ways to attack two pretty good D-lines. They have been pushed back and punished.  After the preseason it didn't look like Scherff or Moses had the right side locked down like this, but so far the shifting of positions have paid off well.

And finally the GM.  Look at his history, the style of this team has his blue prints all over it even after only 1 offseason.  We've seen the DNA of this team change in one offseason. Doesn't mean it will lead to a ton of wins this season, but you see what this team is going to be and the next steps will be building depth where we seem to already be strong at.

The future is looking bright.

I feel like that's exactly when he inserts himself and all hell breaks loose. 

Something will mess up at some point and he'll fire SM and the pitch will be - I watched and learned and now I can do it myself.

Ugh why are we having this discussion now :(

Was such a happy day

Cough, cough, look over here

8. Please use descriptive and accurate topic titles for your thread.
Adherence to this rule assists visitors in utilizing discretion when selecting content to read. It serves to notify members if a particular topic has already been posted and discussed and potentially prevents multiple threads on the exact same topic. Be respectful of the fact that some people come to ExtremeSkins explicitly for latest Redskins news and content, without the editorializing of titles by members.

We are having a preponderance of threads being started, particularly in the Stadium forum, where a title of 2 to 3 non-descriptive words is used. This shows a lack of courtesy to your fellow members. With an ever-increasing number of new threads every day, and an expanding member base, members become more selective about which threads to open and spend their time reading, and which ones to bypass. They cannot do that if the thread titles are 'Guess what?', 'Hey, I just noticed...', or 'WTF!' You are also creating extra work for the Staff who, instead of just merging redundant, repetitive threads based on accurate titles, now has to open each one up and try and figure out where it belongs. So, regardless of the forum, if your thread title is simply "Santana Moss" or any other person's name and nothing else, you may find yourself unable to post. In all our forums, we expect accurate and clear descriptions of your topic in your title.

:)

Callahan's extra sessions with the O-line, our offseason work with the new Strength coach, and the martial arts guy all seem to be making their mark so far this season.  We put in alot of extra work behind the scenes that didn't get alot of attention due to the QB situation, but its definitley starting to pay dividends now.  Getting experience vs. the Texans now seems like a genius move as well.  We seem to be one week ahead of our opponents in terms of line play on both sides of the ball because of how we approached the offseason.  Here's hoping we keep it up!

I love the way we are playing, but I am not one to get all giddy. Been there too many times only to be kicked in the hoo-has time and time again...

That being said, you can clearly see Callaghan's stamp on this team. I am all for keeping Jay if it means keeping Callaghan too.

Last season we were also the #1 Defense and had the #3 rushing attack after the first two games...

We need to remember that the defense last season didn't start out at #31 and stay there all year.

To be fair...our 1st 2 games last year were against the Texans, & the Jags. 2 offenses dwelling at the bottom of the league.

Compared to the 1st 2 this year...while hardly world-beaters, we had a team that many believe in offensively in Miami, & a Rams team that scored 31pts vs Seattle.

I'm riding the wait n'see train as well...but i can hardly bring myself to compare those 2 statistical similarities as relative.

It is ridiculous that it took this long... but we're here now. I still worry about Dan if we do have success. I feel like that's exactly when he inserts himself and all hell breaks loose. 

I don't care what anyone says, there is a pattern there and it can't be coincidental. 

Every single time we have success his direct involvement and undermining of positions are there immediately afterwards. And then we fail in the most miserable of ways. Every. Time.

It's not about right or wrong. It's about maintaining the organizational structure conducive to success. Allowing the various experts to fulfill their roles even if you disagree. 

He seems to do that for a time and everything is quiet... but, imho, it's like he goes wild once there's any sign of success and wants to make sure it's sustained, and we start hearing about all the craziness going on inside the building. It's hard to point at that and say he has nothing to do with it, it's all a coincidence. 

We're just going to have to find out if this time it's different. With the way the team is trending, the test might be sooner than we initially thought. 

I agree.  It seems like he just has too much fun not to play around with team like its his fun toy.   There currently seems to be anger brewing with the fans about the years of losing-false hope, etc.   If the Redskins hopefully get on a roll that anger will likely subside.  But if not, I'd love to see the fan base direct their anger in a specific way with  "Danny you've messed up this franchise, stop interfering or sell the team."

I think Danny gets away with doing his thing because its in the shadows and there has been no concerted effort to expose it in a big way from a fan point of view where most of the anger is directed pointedly at Danny for interfering.  I think this is largely because when things go south there have been easier and more accessible scapegoats.  

Danny seems all about keeping whatever his indulgent behavior is going until he's called out enough where it filters to average fans.  Scot McCloughan IMO is an example of that -- the press, fans, radio talk shows, etc really focused hard at making the connection of the team losing with not having a real football GM.  I recall a reporter maybe it was Keim who said he heard that Danny was aware of the criticism of the FO before they hired Scot.  So he took action.

The first half yesterday was the best football this team has played in three years. Hands down. Maybe the best fundamental football they've played in eight.

To literally see Scot's words start to manifest themselves THIS quickly, THIS effectively, with guys HE'S BROUGHT IN fills me with a sense of pride and excitement I haven't felt in a very, very long time.

The fact isn't lost on me who the opponent was yesterday either which makes it that much more special for me personally.

Talking with my bro before the game we were just looking for "a fight" in this team, much less a win to respond to the classless move the Rams pulled last season.

What we got was not only a fight but a straight-up manhandling. The Redskins out-manned, out-played the Rams yesterday, beat those ************ up and down the field with both lines. Ran with 5 blockers, attacked with 4 man fronts. Punched those SOBs right in the ******* mouth.

Still really early but the first half yesterday was an absolute gift, here's to more moments like that in the future.

Thank you, thank you Scot, thank you Bill and thank you Joe.

I love the smash mouth identity we have, Gruden said as much after the game that we're a running team, we have two punishing backs and our line looks great running the ball, the transition to the power game looks good. Joe Barry has been amazing, I like seeing what he does with his defense, and feel like he's the most underrated hire This year

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop when opposing teams figure out his schemes... but that's the pessimist in me.

This is the best nickname I've heard so far for the two-headed monster of Morris & Jones. Nicely done!

MO-JO!!!

I'm going down to Louisiana to get me a mojo hand

I'm gonna have all you women right here at my command

Got my mojo working

Got my mojo working

-Muddy Waters

Archived