Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

5 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

The West Wing is a nice reprieve from the current White House.

If ever there was a time to start The Wire, it's now. The G.O.A.T.

Love West Wing. I am watching it for the 5th time all the way through. 

Never got the love for The Wire. For me it's just OK. Got a little bored with it into the 3rd season. But lot's of people really like it. That's why they make different shows. 

11 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

In times like these, it's nice to see a cop willing to cut through the thin blue line bull**** and hold his peers accountable.

Its a complicated show, looking back now.  There is some extra-judicial policing stuff that is problematic.  ON the other hand, there is some policing of the police which is good to see.  We finished watching it about a month ago, before all this came to front of (my) mind.  It does make it somewhat more complex in retrospect.  

Edited by bcl05
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Love West Wing. I am watching it for the 5th time all the way through. 

Never got the love for The Wire. For me it's just OK. Got a little bored with it into the 3rd season. But lot's of people really like it. That's why they make different shows. 

Season 2 maybe but Season 3? Hamsterdam bored you?

6 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Season 2 maybe but Season 3? Hamsterdam bored you?

Yea, just started feeling like the same show over and over again.  But that's jsut me. I get I am in the minority. I know a lot of people like it. Not trying to offend anyone. Just wasn't into it. 

Edited by goskins10

Finished watching the original V shows. Interesting to see 80s special effects. Funny that two of the lizard characters, Charles and Diana, get married, right around the wedding of Prince Charles and Princess Diana. The lizard Charles is also lizard royalty, that was too funny! 

Now watching the newer version of V, somewhat repetitive of the original series, but different. And it's like the original series never happened. Hadn't remembered that. 

Decided that I'm going to watch Queer As Folk next.

34 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Yea, just started feeling like the same show over and over again.  But that's jsut me. I get I am in the minority. I know a lot of people like it. Not trying to offend anyone. Just wasn't into it. 

That's interesting, you may get more of it reading along with Alan Sepinwall's reviews or The Ringer's podcast going on right now. That's helped me with other shows in the past.

Absolutely to each their own of course but it's surprising to hear "the same show over and over" when each season has an entirely different focus: police, white working class, drug war/politics, education, media.

On 6/8/2020 at 8:26 PM, PokerPacker said:

In times like these, it's nice to see a cop willing to cut through the thin blue line bull**** and hold his peers accountable.

If you're looking for another show like that, give Line of Duty a shot. It's a British show with 5 or 6 episodes a season, but it's kept me captivated the whole way through the first season. The 2nd season is looking just as intense.

Also, Into the West is a miniseries that's had a good first episode. 1 hour 30 minute run but a fascinating show. It's weird seeing Captain Spiers' actor from Band of Brothers playing a pure, innocent but maturing character lol

I've never seen the show so I wouldn't be able to come up with an accurate comp.

I keep seeing stuff in my news feed about Twin Peaks being a good viewing experience during the quarantine. Not sure about that. I don't think I've ever seen a stranger show. And not strange in a good way

48 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I've never seen the show so I wouldn't be able to come up with an accurate comp.

I keep seeing stuff in my news feed about Twin Peaks being a good viewing experience during the quarantine. Not sure about that. I don't think I've ever seen a stranger show. And not strange in a good way

I'm still struggling through that show, season 2.  It's just odd as ****.  Right now I have a sub to Showtime for Billions and also want to check out season 3 on there which happens like 20 years after season 2.  I'm curious about season 3, but just can't binge season 2 for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched "Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich" on Netflix.  Its a 4 part documentary that lays out his crimes, how he got away with it for so long, and how it damaged the girls he victimized.  The whole affair is a disgrace, and it's a disgrace that Ghislaine Maxwell - and others - haven't been brought to justice for their part in it all.  

~~~

On  a lighter note...

HBO's reboot of Perry Mason got a really good review by the Washington Post's Hank Stuever.  But this Perry Mason is a private investigator with a back story, not a defense attorney like in the original books by Erle Stanley Garner and the old TV serie s starring Raymond Burr.

Edited by Dan T.

4 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Watched "Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich" on Netflix.  Its a 4 part documentary that lays out his crimes, how he got away with it for so long, and how it damaged the girls he victimized.  The whole affair is a disgrace, and it's a disgrace that Ghislaine Maxwell - and others - haven't been brought to justice for their part in it all.  

Watched this last week, and all I could think about was how the Trump clan loved to say that he didn't kill himself because Hillary and Bill had him killed.  I know it takes gold medal mental gymnastics to follow their line of thinking, but wouldn't Trump have much, much more to lose than the Clintons?

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Watched this last week, and all I could think about was how the Trump clan loved to say that he didn't kill himself because Hillary and Bill had him killed.  I know it takes gold medal mental gymnastics to follow their line of thinking, but wouldn't Trump have much, much more to lose than the Clintons?

Yes. Also, he had what the Clintons did not- ACCESS to Epstein's cell. That prison falls under Bill Barr's jurisdiction. There's just no way anybody gets in or out of there and gets a bee line to Epstein's cell without permission from the warden, who answers ultimately to Mr. Barr, who answers directly to POTUS.

Having said that, there's no way on Earth any POTUS, past/present/future will ever be "convicted" of anything. Impeachment is one thing, removal from office is another, and actually going to prison for ANY CRIME is on an entire different level. Never happen. If he was murdered, it was with the approval of (and a sigh of relief from) a LOT of other high ranking world leaders than just Trump and Clinton. Basically the USA, Great Britain, Saudi Arabia and for that matter the Illuminatti all decided Jeffery had to go.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dan T. said:

HBO's reboot of Perry Mason got a really good review by the Washington Post's Hank Stuever.  But this Perry Mason is a private investigator with a back story, not a defense attorney like in the original books by Erle Stanley Garner and the old TV serie s starring Raymond Burr.

So why remake Perry Mason if instead of having Perry Mason be the thing he is, make him a thing he isn't?  Why not make a new IP with a new character?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

So why remake Perry Mason if instead of having Perry Mason be the thing he is, make him a thing he isn't?  Why not make a new IP with a new character?

Yeah, I agree.  I liked the show but it was Perry in name only.  None of the class and dignity Raymond Burr gave the  character.  Like watching Philip, from the Americans, in old timey clothes. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I guess to draw eyeballs.  I wonder what the similarities are to the book and the TV show. What I've heard about the old Perry Mason is it was courtroom driven and that he would always come up with dramatic last minute evidence or the real killer would confess on the stand.

Edited by Dan T.