Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Local Severe Thunderstorm Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

Took a little drive this morning to find ice. I know Olney has no power. I head north from Brookeville.

Stopped in Sunshine. No power. No ice. Sold out.

Head north into Howard.

Rt 97 closed due to massive trees falling in road. I go around side roads. Limbs down all over and piled at the side of the road like blizzard snow. Howard looks worse than Montgomery. I manage to meander back to Rt 97. End up in Glenwood. Find a Highs. They're ice freezer is empty but I ask the guy if he has some stashed in the back. He does. I buy 12 bags. Head home. Put them in freezer.

Then head out again to Hardware store.

Gold mine Rd closed due to power lines in road. I sneak under the tape and turn right onto New Hampshire Ave.

New Hampshire Ave closed due to utility pole broken half way up and about to fall into the Rd. I backtrack and go down Brooke Rd. which takes me into Sandy Spring.

There I find three enormously huge massive trees, side by side, all three of which have broken and have fallen to the ground. These trees were clumped closely together and the closest was only about five paces from a residential house. But, incredibly, all three trees fell in the OTHER direction, away from the house. The house is unharmed. Had one of the trees fallen on the house, it would have cut through to the basement and destroyed the house and killed everybody in it. But the trees fell towards the road, taking down the power lines with it. Sandy spring is blacked out, as is just about everybody in upper Montgomery.

I'm in Leesburg and I swear the whole place is shut down. MCDONALDS, Taco Bell, 7/11, no gas stations. Even the traffic lights are dead

Also talked to a buddy of mine in DC. They don't have power either. And they told him it would probably be middle of next week at the earliest. So I guess Monday night for my power isn't that bad.

To me, the craziest thing about all of this is I had no idea it was coming. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, i don't know. I heard a lot about the heat, but I don't recall a single thing about even simple rain, let alone this. Sitting in the basement watching the Nats game and next thing I know the wind sounds like a train coming through and my power goes out.

I drove around northern va today (didn't have a choice) and I can tell you that it's like the start of a disaster movie. There is power down virtually everywhere. Street lights are mostly (80/20) on.... and cops are out issuing speeding tickets (bless their hearts). The few gas stations that are open have crazy lines. The few places to eat that are open are packed. Arby's in merrifield, for instance, will proabably be breaking a sales record today.

I've never seen it this bad in over 20 years.

Damn fellas. One big reason I moved from NoVa was the miserable humidity during the summers. Highs in the 90's and lows at night in the 80's. For all of July and August, and half of June.

This seems like the worst storm, damage-wise, since Agnes, 1972. But most of the damage due to Agnes was because of the constant heavy rain and subsequent flooding. This widespread wind damage seems like a very rare event.

I'm in Leesburg and I swear the whole place is shut down. MCDONALDS, Taco Bell, 7/11, no gas stations. Even the traffic lights are dead

Also talked to a buddy of mine in DC. They don't have power either. And they told him it would probably be middle of next week at the earliest. So I guess Monday night for my power isn't that bad.

To me, the craziest thing about all of this is I had no idea it was coming. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, i don't know. I heard a lot about the heat, but I don't recall a single thing about even simple rain, let alone this. Sitting in the basement watching the Nats game and next thing I know the wind sounds like a train coming through and my power goes out.

Where were you in Leesburg? I went through there around 1 ish and it looked like things were okay. Then again I only went down market street and headed back on 7 towards Ashburn

Tried to find a place to go near me with AC and ended up at fair oaks mall. It is PACKED. Finally found a seat at the bar at Champs. Probably staying here for a while. I can't believe some people are hearing the middle of next week. I really hope it doesn't take that long. Insanity.

They said at the height of the outages, 150,000 people lost power in the Richmond/Tri-Cities area.

That number is down to about 73,000 now.

I never lost power here. I never heard the storm. :ols: Usually, those kind of storms wake me up, but I slept right through it, and didn't know about any of this damage till the next morning.

Taco Bell only place open....They have an enclosed drive-thru so once you are there, you cannot leave. Get to the menu and there is a tiny sign saying they can't take cards (There is NOTHING that says that when you first enter the parking lot...smh) so I sit in an hour long line for no ******* reason and they look at me like I'm stupid when I tell them how dumb that is...I hate P.G.County so much

I feel lucky to have power right now. There are so many people that I know that are without power right now.

I had a hockey game at 11:30 last night. Left my house at 10:30 to a huge amount of wind and lightning. I had to turn around and go back home after I got about a mile out. Branches and trees falling all over the place, the large branch that almost hit my car when I was driving was enough to turn me around. Probably a good thing that I did.

I left my house at about 11:00 after the wind died down and the lightning had passed. Downed trees all over the place. I had to take a detour when a tree blocked a road I was on and passed what turned out to be one of the fatalities of this storm, a tree collapsed on a house. Made it to the rink and played hockey (yay, the rink had power!). Went back home at about 1:30 am and there seemed to be complete darkness in most areas.

Yeah I'm basically at the point now where I start looking for a hotel room. My house is a damn oven. If I can't find a room I'm just going to try and make sure I end up cooked medium rare because there is no way in hell I'm dying overcooked. :silly:

Got a tub?...that and cold showers are a lifesaver

if it is like here when the major outages occur,the hotels are already full

Got a tub?...that and cold showers are a lifesaver

if it is like here when the major outages occur,the hotels are already full

Yeah I found out pretty fast that all hotels were booked. I did take a cool shower which felt great . Now I'm suffering from electricity envy since people right across the street have now been restored. I can literally see houses with power from my window

Talk about frustrating.

I used to lose electric all the time....days on end. Then I bought a whole house generator. It kicks on automatically. Never a sad moment. Lose power, 10 seconds later, have power. Will never be without a generator again.

Isn't that rather expensive?

Got out of work last night and went walking on the beach looking for giant turtles giving birth. Didn't find any so I came home. Power was out, like it is for a few hours a couple days a week, so I went back out to a different beach. No turtles.

Archived