Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Local Severe Thunderstorm Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

Lost power here at about 9 I believe. Still nothing. It is hot. As. ****. I can't sleep. I was sitting in my car for like three hours charging the phone, listening to the Nats game, taking a nap and blasting that AC . Now my back hurts. At least I get to cut up the tree that fell in the driveway. I actually am looking forward to that.

I think in some ways you people in the flat areas (No Va, PG County) get higher winds because you have few steep hills to block the wind or break it up. OTOH, in Mont. Cty, we have more trees - because less get knocked down over time - but at the same time, have more potential for problems.

We lost power for 2 hours,

From msnbc.com

As of 11:25 p.m., Pepco reported 226,012 outages in Montgomery County, Md., 133,160 in Prince George's County and 66,684 in Washington, according to NBC News.

Police in northern Virginia said two people were killed by falling trees. Fairfax County police spokeswoman Mary Ann Jennings said one of the victims was a 90-year-old woman who was asleep in bed Friday night when heavy winds blew a tree onto her house in Springfield.

Another death was reported in Springfield when a tree collapsed onto a car. Jennings also said police were responding elsewhere to reports of a park police officer injured when his car was hit by a tree and an 18-year-old man struck by a downed power line.

Yesterday was the hottest June day in recorded history for Wash DC. - 104 F.

Down here in St. Mary's it was bizarre and surreal. The storm woke me up sometime around 11 pm and the power was already out. The heaviest wind we've had down here...it sure felt like a tornado passed through my apartment building.

What was strange was it was seemingly directly over us with the most lighting I've ever seen in my life but not one sound of thunder. And it was crazy lightning too, like thousands of light bulbs turned off and on at random all at one time.

Still no power. It's going on 12 hours now. Novec is saying that they are "hopeful" it'll be restored sometime today but if so, probably not until 11PM. ****ing great. This happened a couple of years ago, except it was in the winter during one of those blizzards. I think it was two-and-a-half days without heat. This is worse.

What an insane storm it was lastnight. I was on the second floor of our house lastnight and the house was literally being shaken by those heavy winds. Like others have said, I wondered if a tornado had touched down. It seemed that loud and fierce.

After experiencing that, I can't and don't want to imagine being caught in a hurricane and it's sustained winds.

BTW. During the storm all I could think about was Dec 21, 2012.:D

My first reaction when I heard that wind was "TORNADO/END OF THE WORLD". I'm very worried about people without AC today because this is going to be another intensely hot day.

Agreed. However, enough people in the area have power that those without it need to pack up NOW and find a family member/friend to hang out with. Personally, I have two different families on their way to our house. The more the merrier!

So my friends and I are going to see Ted at Bowie movie theater. As we walk inside, my friend casually says, "Looks like it might rain a bit" We get inside and two dudes are fighting in the theater. Okay more entertainment. AWESOME! Dark Night trailer, Anchorman 2 trailer, then that Campaign trailer...BUT THEN IT GOES PITCH BLACK. The power goes out and I check twitter and apparently, **** is going down outside. Then, they tell us "no refunds but you can get a free pass :)" **** my life...

We drive back and it looks like the aftermath of an Avengers battle and I get home and power is out until 3. Now, my amtrak train to Philly is messed up...

**** MOTHER NATURE

Light went out here in P.W. county @ 10:30 pm and didn't come back until 4am. Smh. There were rumbles of thunder here as if the world was going to end. Truly nobody was prepared for what hit here in the DC metro last night.

What do you really do to prepare though? From a homeowner's perspective, I closed out patio umbrella, made sure I had a couple flashlights close by, and hoped I wouldn't lose power during the O's game.

What do you really do to prepare though? From a homeowner's perspective, I closed out patio umbrella, made sure I had a couple flashlights close by, and hoped I wouldn't lose power during the O's game.

I meant from the power perspective. We've had many summertime thunderstorms here before in the DC area, but nothing of this magnitude where it seemed like a garden variety T-storm and turned into something where people were without power for a prolonged period of time and had to basically sleep in the heat.

I meant from the power perspective. We've had many summertime thunderstorms here before in the DC area, but nothing of this magnitude where it seemed like a garden variety T-storm and turned into something where people were without power for a prolonged period of time and had to basically sleep in the heat.

Oh I see what you mean...looks like people will spend the weekend buddying up with friends and family! If you're becoming a "shelter" make sure your beer is chilled.

Left work at 9ish last night & went to Wally World which is directly behind us. As I'm walking in there's a big gust of wind. Get inside & the power goes out then flicks back on as people scream. Power goes out again & comes right back on. Then the power goes out a third time. It doesn't come back on. They won't let anyone leave because they didn't want to be held liable if someone got hurt. Then they finally started letting people out but said if they left then they couldn't come back in. Way to go WalMart employees! You won't let anyone leave because you don't want to be sued, but then you let them attempt to leave & deny them shelter if they can't make it. :doh: by the time said screw it I'm outta here, there was zero wind. Storm was gone. Power was still out. And there were still people held up in Wally World Jail.

Left work at 9ish last night & went to Wally World which is directly behind us. As I'm walking in there's a big gust of wind. Get inside & the power goes out then flicks back on as people scream. Power goes out again & comes right back on. Then the power goes out a third time. It doesn't come back on. They won't let anyone leave because they didn't want to be held liable if someone got hurt. Then they finally started letting people out but said if they left then they couldn't come back in. Way to go WalMart employees! You won't let anyone leave because you don't want to be sued, but then you let them attempt to leave & deny them shelter if they can't make it. :doh: by the time said screw it I'm outta here, there was zero wind. Storm was gone. Power was still out. And there were still people held up in Wally World Jail.

Holy crap. Is that even legal? I can see them locking the door and keeping people out, but keeping them inside? Can't be.

That said, if I had to think of a place to be locked inside of for an extended period, Walmart would be the perfect place.

Debating, if worse comes to worse, whether to get a hotel room or just sleep in the car. Really don't like staying in other people's houses and I really don't want to spend money on a hotel. Ugh. This sucks much much worse than when we didn't have power for half a week during winter.

We didn't lose power at my place in Leesburg, though the street lights went out for about 10 minutes. My mom didn't lose power in Chantilly, either. Our cable is out, though (Verizon Fios). Definitely can live with that.

at my mom's:

Photo111.jpg

Holy crap. Is that even legal? I can see them locking the door and keeping people out, but keeping them inside? Can't be.

That said, if I had to think of a place to be locked inside of for an extended period, Walmart would be the perfect place.

THAT many people with no air circulating wasn't that perfect. Though I did think about hitting up the beer aisle then heading to sporting goods & camping out in a tent. :)

THAT many people with no air circulating wasn't that perfect. Though I did think about hitting up the beer aisle then heading to sporting goods & camping out in a tent. :)

I was thinking ice cream and toys section, but you are a full year older than me. :D

Archived