Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Local Severe Thunderstorm Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

Pez and i lost power Friday night from 10pm until Sunday afternoon around 2PM. It was miserablebut we did not have any damage to our house. My 14 year old Basset Hound Sadie blamed both me and Pez for no AC. I moved the little ones to our basement and did what we could to keep the hounds cool. When power came back on I found Sadie had moved her bed directly under the AC unit in her dog house and was sound asleep. LOL We trashed all contents of our fridge and freezer last night since trash went out today. I feel sorry for anyone who just did all of the grocery shopping. Luckily we did not have too much to toss.

On saturday we drove out to Tyson's to walk around. Traffic lights were out from Leesburg to Tysons. Loudoun County had cops at every intersection but Fairfax county had nothing. I also heard Fairfax County lost calls to their 911 center and was telling people to drive to the nearest police department or fire house if there was an emergency.

I'm STILL without power. I seriously think the power company is ****ing up because every neighborhood surrounding ours has power. It's stupid because the houses literally right across the street from our neighborhood have power but as soon as you enter our neighborhood, nothing.

I'm STILL without power. I seriously think the power company is ****ing up because every neighborhood surrounding ours has power. It's stupid because the houses literally right across the street from our neighborhood have power but as soon as you enter our neighborhood, nothing.

http://blog.emergencyoutdoors.com/heat-wave-survival-how-to-stay-cool-without-electricity/

Some basic stuff, but maybe it'll help.

buried power lines

right. that is a very simple solution too, and it usually doesn't increase consumer costs whatsoever! :thumbsup:

---------- Post added July-3rd-2012 at 12:43 PM ----------

Tell that to the many people who are still in the dark. :doh: It's not about inconvenience, it's about livelihood.

i do and i have. crews are busting their ass.

PEPCO, as usual, getting crap for their responses. Anyone who lives in the area knows that PEPCO is one of the worst power companies in the area.

When I was in the DC suburbs, we'd have random power outages, even when there was no inclement weather. :ols: Just a normal night, and then power goes out.

This is true, but the utilities have been guilty of not doing a lot of preventitive work. Not upgrading lines, power stations, etc. They are relying on very old infrastructure that has gotten more fragile. That's part of the reason the power is more easily knocked out these days, but even moreso why it stays out so long.

The crews and people working are doing their best in really hot and miserable conditions. They deserve our gratitude and respect. The company has been doing much more to maximize profits than their business and service.

right, and often when they try to upgrade infrastructure, they meet a loud, deep pocketed group of NIMBY's that make it way more expensive if not impossible.

right, and often when they try to upgrade infrastructure, they meet a loud, deep pocketed group of NIMBY's that make it way more expensive if not impossible.

People expect their utilities to always work and ***** about the cost. When they go out and people are inconvenienced, they ***** about needing to upgrade and ***** about how slowly they're getting things turned back on.

That's four days without electricity, Warhead. Glad to see you back online.

Say fellas, this electrical failure reminds me of James Burke's first episode of "Connections". Take a gander if it pleases you folks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcSxL8GUn-g&list=PL79184D14F872B80D&index=1&feature=plpp_video

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/james-burke-connections/

Is there any word on what particular facility failed so bad so as to cause this widespread blackout?

right. that is a very simple solution too, and it usually doesn't increase consumer costs whatsoever! :thumbsup:

---------- Post added July-3rd-2012 at 12:43 PM ----------

i do and i have. crews are busting their ass.

Oh so only free and simple solutions are on the table now

Ordinarily, the height of the Appalachian Mountains would stall storms originating in the midwest. My limited understanding is that the heat on the east coast was sufficient to pull the storms over those mountains.

Oh so only free and simple solutions are on the table now

no, not at all.

but the electrical grid is so much more than your neighborhood and mine.

the cost / time of putting the grid totally underground would be mind boggling. it costs a lot of money just to do it in towns. excavation work is not cheap, nor is it quick.

Anyone going to get a back up generator after this mess is cleaned up?

I went and bought one the other day, just in case it happens again...got a monster too! 5500 watt, 7 gallon gas tank, it will run for 13 hours straight at half load, 7 at full! I had

always wanted to get one before this recent storm and never did.... it was nice to at least hook up the portable/stand up ac unit to cool things off a little for a day at least before power came back on.

no, not at all.

but the electrical grid is so much more than your neighborhood and mine.

the cost / time of putting the grid totally underground would be mind boggling. it costs a lot of money just to do it in towns. excavation work is not cheap, nor is it quick.

When did I say put it totally underground? Dense commercial hubs (that have trees EVERYWHERE), like most of NoVa, is what I'm referring to

I am on BGE and was only out 2 days but this was the worst as it was 98 here on sunday. What is a bummer is 1/4 mile form me is smeco and they never lost power

In the 20 years i have lived in s md

Irene 4 days

Isabell 51/2 days

Icestorm 7 days

3 days before the icestorm 2 days

numerous times 12-24 hrs

When did I say put it totally underground? Dense commercial hubs (that have trees EVERYWHERE), like most of NoVa, is what I'm referring to

and that is fine. but it is not cheap and believe it that the cost will passed on to the consumers. and don't complain about the traffic backups during the process. lol

Archived