Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Local Severe Thunderstorm Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

Valley View looked like a war zone this morning. I think Wally World is still without power.

I heard.

I work over at CRMH, and we lost a panel of our front lobby door. The power is still out over at our psych services building. No air, door locks screwed up.. it's been a mess.

It's amazing how localized the damage was. We had brutal winds pass through our neighborhood but only lost a few branches. Didn't even have a power dip.A few miles away there are many large trees down, significant structural damage and power outages lasting days.

Camping in Montgomery Mall again. Y'know for years I've been hearing how the trouble with America is the government and how private free market does everything so much better. Yet almost every storm or snowfall seems to knock out the power to hundreds of thousands in the DC area. PEPCO, this privately run and privately managed company continues to jury rig and patch things on the cheap... Makes you wonder if maybe the free market doesn't do everything for the best after all. Especially, when they corner the market and have near monopolies.

Just a grumpy thought... Funny how a company that made 600 million in profits, paid no taxes literally does so little to improve its business. Downside of monopolies, I suppose. Long live the Robber Barons. You know rates are going up after this because they had to "make repairs" even while they refuse to change and upgrade the infrastructure.

Finally got to walk thru my hood and all I can say is wow! I have whole streets blocked off. If my house is contingent upon those streets getting power back, then I shouldn't plan on getting any power for the near future.

I think that you would be hard pressed to find a street with more damage then Cherry Street in Falls Church. Unbelievable.

We got our power back on at 4pm yesterday. There were a bunch of large limbs tangled in the power lines down the street, as soon as power came back on sparks and flames started shooting out where the tanglement was. Luckily it happend a pole down from ours and we still had power. I called Dominion power to tell them about it and while I was on the phone the next pole down burst into a fireball two power lines became red then snapped off and flew into our neighbors yard. It continued to shower sparks and flames for a good minute. It was pretty intense to see that. Well when they came out to fix it the workers told us that they would have to shut our power down while they repaired it, all was good until power came back on and I found out that the Fios box outside has no power(it worked before they shut off power for the repair). So now we are with out cable/internet/phone for a few days. Oh well, we have AC!!

my little story. Was in the OBX until Friday. I left there around 6pm hearing about a storm that would roll through. While driving on 64-W you could see flashes way in the distance. By the time I got to 95 it was blowing folks off the road. I get on 95-N and the storm hits, couldn't see anything for 15 min or so, folks slow down.....then all the sudden damage appears. Full trees down on 95 forcing things to creep along.

I get back to MoCo around 1:30am after all the traffic to no power in the condo (Germantown). Still out today. With Family who have a generator. All I want to do is go back to my place with power so I can just chill out. Feels like even though I've been at the condo a few times, I haven't been "home" yet.

The pepco phone app until this morning kept saying "cause unknown" and no updates on when they'd get to it. Now the app is down. Got the phone call that said it could take to the 6th. But this is a pretty dense area of houses, apts and condos. Haven't seen them working on the lines close by at all. Just driving around. Weird.

btw, I'm sure we will be talking about this tomorrow on the radio. If any of you have a good story to share and want 15 minutes or thirty seconds of fame please PM me.

You could do some fill with the benefit vs costs of underground lines

I'm planning to. There's definitely an infrastructure angle to this story. PEPCO has been suffering power failures at an alarming rate recently. Last year, we had half an inch of snow and it knocked out power to about a million customers for about four days. There's something screwy going on in Denmark, esp. considering how much profit the company is raking in.

Underground cables, which they are estimating would cost them about a million or so per mile, might significantly reduce one problem, but certainly there are many things they are doing wrong in addition to being unlucky enough to be hit by a storm of this type.

Finally got to walk thru my hood and all I can say is wow! I have whole streets blocked off. If my house is contingent upon those streets getting power back, then I shouldn't plan on getting any power for the near future.

I think that you would be hard pressed to find a street with more damage then Cherry Street in Falls Church. Unbelievable.

I may have to swing by and check on my father/stepmother...they live in the McLean-Falls Church area, and I ran around Cherry Street tons growing up. Lots of really nice, older trees in that area; I hope some of them are still standing.

I did find out my Dad has been without power since Friday, phones knocked out, the works. Luckily, they have a generator so they've been able to be relatively comfortable.

---------- Post added July-1st-2012 at 03:20 PM ----------

Something I'm wondering is how bad the power is in D.C. I don't know what the Feds are going to do if nothing works in the buildings.

Archived