Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Local Severe Thunderstorm Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

I may have to swing by and check on my father/stepmother...they live in the McLean-Falls Church area, and I ran around Cherry Street tons growing up. Lots of really nice, older trees in that area; I hope some of them are still standing.

I did find out my Dad has been without power since Friday, phones knocked out, the works. Luckily, they have a generator so they've been able to be relatively comfortable.

---------- Post added July-1st-2012 at 03:20 PM ----------

Something I'm wondering is how bad the power is in D.C. I don't know what the Feds are going to do if nothing works in the buildings.

If I get a chance to take some pix I will. Cherry Street is completely closed off from both sides.

There are so many old trees down in the neighborhood. It is sad. I lost 3 trees on my property (one was over a hundred year old black walnut tree)

I'm planning to. There's definitely an infrastructure angle to this story. PEPCO has been suffering power failures at an alarming rate recently. Last year, we had half an inch of snow and it knocked out power to about a million customers for about four days. There's something screwy going on in Denmark, esp. considering how much profit the company is raking in.

Underground cables, which they are estimating would cost them about a million or so per mile, might significantly reduce one problem, but certainly there are many things they are doing wrong in addition to being unlucky enough to be hit by a storm of this type.

Is the profit excessive for the investment?

Have they kept up the tree trimming contracts?(quickest way for disaster from snow or wind)

Good luck to ya'll

Is the profit excessive for the investment?

Have they kept up the tree trimming contracts?(quickest way for disaster from snow or wind)

Good luck to ya'll

From what I understand, the company made 6-700 million dollars in profit while paying not a cent in Federal or Local taxes. Now, we all have different definitions of fair, but considering that they have had a really poor record in delivering or maintaining service plus slow repair times... AND they are undoubtedly going to raise their rates immediately because of the costs incurred by this storm... I'd say there's a lot that stinks in this model.

Mind you, at this point I'm saying that based on a lot of surface knowledge and not a deep understanding of the model, but if you are getting close to a billion dollars in profit and have as many problems as they do due to failing infrastructure and patch jobs that don't hold up... well then, methinks their taking advantage of a whole lot of folks. Mind you, this may be an unfair storm to pin this particular complaint on, but there's enough wrong that we can still kvetch about this utility

Something I'm wondering is how bad the power is in D.C. I don't know what the Feds are going to do if nothing works in the buildings.

I am at work now dealing with getting systems back up after a planned outage in one area of the building this morning. Everything seems to be fine in all other areas. Power was never lost, but our Alexandria site experianced a lot of surges but no outage.

I can't speak for the rest of the Gov buildings, but all is well at the SEC.

Got my power back not even 15 minutes ago. Feel bad that there's still people out there that will have to sleep in 89 degree heat in their house tonight. Feel bad for the Marylanders that have Pepco, see you guys on Friday.

I am at work now dealing with getting systems back up after a planned outage in one area of the building this morning. Everything seems to be fine in all other areas. Power was never lost, but our Alexandria site experianced a lot of surges but no outage.

I can't speak for the rest of the Gov buildings, but all is well at the SEC.

Yeah, I just don't know...I had heard DC was pretty widespread. I had planned on taking Thursday/Friday off and having a long weekend, but I've got a few projects I need to finish Monday/Tuesday. I can't afford to have a building shutdown due to lack of electricity.

Yeah, I just don't know...I had heard DC was pretty widespread.

Yeah, it was. Trees down all over the place including on our street one fell on a house. I live in Falls Church and we were without power for about 40 hours. Also power out in Arlington. We traveled down to Orange County, VA this weekend and there were widespread power outages along the whole way down as well as at the place we stayed. Which, because it is on a well system, not only didn't have A/C but no water because no electric to run the pump. They were told they may not get power back for a week. Was glad to get back home today and at least be able to have a shower, even a cold one.

From what I understand, the company made 6-700 million dollars in profit while paying not a cent in Federal or Local taxes. Now, we all have different definitions of fair, but considering that they have had a really poor record in delivering or maintaining service plus slow repair times... AND they are undoubtedly going to raise their rates immediately because of the costs incurred by this storm... I'd say there's a lot that stinks in this model.

Mind you, at this point I'm saying that based on a lot of surface knowledge and not a deep understanding of the model, but if you are getting close to a billion dollars in profit and have as many problems as they do due to failing infrastructure and patch jobs that don't hold up... well then, methinks their taking advantage of a whole lot of folks. Mind you, this may be an unfair storm to pin this particular complaint on, but there's enough wrong that we can still kvetch about this utility

You only invest profit if it makes sense to do so. Profit is the cheapest form of equity but if no projects have an ROI that exceeds the risk-free ROI by sufficient margin to make risk a non-issue, you should not be investing in those projects.

Got my power back not even 15 minutes ago. Feel bad that there's still people out there that will have to sleep in 89 degree heat in their house tonight. Feel bad for the Marylanders that have Pepco, see you guys on Friday.

Where in Herndon do you live?

Still no power here. Staying with some family for the day, at least thru the soccer game. Then might hit up the movies. I can't see us getting power back till Monday and Dominion is saying it'll be "multiple days." Ugh...

In Chantilly? I know the outages have been spotty, but I got power back yesterday afternoon.

I can't see how that works.

Jeez we just got ****ed up here in Mechanicsville twice in one week. Now we got another thing bearing down. Mechanicsville got slammed by that thing last week Monday night. Car accidents everywhere(8 ambulances and 9 cop cars for just one accident alone which involved 4 cars. All completely crushed), the county was a complete black out, and trees and stuff all over roads. They confirmed we have had two tornadoes in the county in one week.

We got hit in the Charlotte area with T-Storms yesterday afternoon and last night about 11 PM. Nasty lightning. Some power outages and north of Charlotte they got golfball sized hail.

we had that huge hail on the south end too. (Weddington/Waxhaw). Filing some ins claims this week.

we had that huge hail on the south end too. (Weddington/Waxhaw). Filing some ins claims this week.

I'm in Fort Mill, right on the border behind the Southpark mall and we avoided the afternoon hail, thank goodness. I keep 2 cars in the garage, but we have 3.

Archived