Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Local Severe Thunderstorm Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

My power was only off briefly, which is good, but that meant I had to host relatives who lost theirs for an extended period.

I'm not sure which is worse: putting up with brutal heat, or putting up with parents. There were moments where I considered cutting my own power lines.

Checking in from Falls Church, no power

Me either, Falls Church got hit hard as ****. During the storm on Friday it looked like the back yard was lit by a strobe light the lightning was coming so hard and fast. Been up in Wheaton/Aspen Hill area since Saturday where a family member has power but it's only the one neighborhood, everything around it is down. Here's a picture of the only gas station in that area that had power on Saturday, it was backed up like this for hours and hours.

20120630_194230.jpg

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 10:36 AM ----------

As much as Pepco sucks at least they're on the radio and calling people giving updates. Dominion isn't saying ****, can't get anyone on the phone and their automated update line gives a big **** you saying there's no estimate as to when power will be restored.

Me either, Falls Church got hit hard as ****. During the storm on Friday it looked like the back yard was lit by a strobe light the lightning was coming so hard and fast. Been up in Wheaton/Aspen Hill area since Saturday where a family member has power but it's only the one neighborhood, everything around it is down. Here's a picture of the only gas station in that area that had power on Saturday, it was backed up like this for hours and hours.

That picture is crazy...i drove around a bunch in Herndon and Chantilly...seemed like a lot of gas stations were open, but packed. Not that packed though.

Geez makes you wonder what this region would be like if a devastating hurricane ever got up here.

D.C. area has always been abyssmal when it comes to preperation and reaction to weather events. I mean 1 inch of snow cancels school for three days...

D.C. area has always been abyssmal when it comes to preperation and reaction to weather events. I mean 1 inch of snow cancels school for three days...

Which is hysterical considering the number of important government agencies/corporate headquarters etc. are around here.

Plus we're all kind of big babies about weather around here.

Geez makes you wonder what this region would be like if a devastating hurricane ever got up here.

When Isabel came through a few years back we were without power for 8 days.

If a stronger storm came through I imagine it would be the same as it is for any area that gets hit by such a severe storm, devastating and would take significant time to recover. I don't think this area is somehow worse than other areas in the response.

When Isabel came through a few years back we were without power for 8 days.

If a stronger storm came through I imagine it would be the same as it is for any area that gets hit by such a severe storm, devastating and would take significant time to recover. I don't think this area is somehow worse than other areas in the response.

I went through Isabel in 03 down on the bay and it was probably the worst storm I have been through to date. I still remember my parents house creaking and moaning from moving in the wind.

wow, sorry to hear about the storm! I've been in Long Island sine Thursdsay for a summer program at NYIT. my house in McLean lost power friday night and didnt get it back on until 1:30 AM Sunday Morning. My mom was posting all of yesterday on FB inviting "refugees" to our place for some shelter and AC lol. my friend, his sister, their mom, their cousin and his sisters friend all slept at my house last night after playing Dominoes with my family. They live in Falls Chuch and still dont have power...

As of this morning, still no power

But my mom is sitting in comfortable AC in Karachi Pakistan right now :doh:

Yeah, one would think the opposite would be true right now. :silly: Seriously, the power companies were not prepared for this at all and screwed this one up big time.

I hope you folks are able to minimize this unpleasantness the best you can. Up here in Minnesota we have a heat wave too, but our night-time lows are in the comfortable sixties.

I'm trying to visualize icebergs in the Chesapeake. Big bergs. I think cold thoughts. Useless of course, but hang in there anyway.

Yeah, one would think the opposite would be true right now. :silly: Seriously, the power companies were not prepared for this at all and screwed this one up big time.

they didn't screw anything up. it was a major storm and lines got crushed. it takes time to repair that. people are so impatient when inconvenienced.

they didn't screw anything up. it was a major storm and lines got crushed. it takes time to repair that. people are so impatient when inconvenienced.

I agree.

Crews are working around the clock in scorching heat. What else can you ask for?

So true. You have an entire infrastructure built for millions of people in one of the most populated area of the world, that has never had to deal with major weather catastrophe and now that it does and an epic storm can com through or a big snow fall early october or whatever and things go wrong, and people are so unprepared (and I guess rightfully so, since it's always been the same to them) that they can't handle the littlest problems.

I agree.

Crews are working around the clock in scorching heat. What else can you ask for?

This is true, but the utilities have been guilty of not doing a lot of preventitive work. Not upgrading lines, power stations, etc. They are relying on very old infrastructure that has gotten more fragile. That's part of the reason the power is more easily knocked out these days, but even moreso why it stays out so long.

The crews and people working are doing their best in really hot and miserable conditions. They deserve our gratitude and respect. The company has been doing much more to maximize profits than their business and service.

Archived