Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Draft Day Thread

Wildbunny

Just now, mistertim said:

Obviously there's no way to know this so its totally just opinion but I could see Payne easily getting close to the end of the 1st round if we hadn't picked him.

I mean, it's certainly possible. Derwin James also could have blown out his knee walking to the podium after we drafted him.

Life is strange like that.

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Sure. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - but let’s not forget that we really don’t know anything compared to the NFL front office. I don’t take my own opinion on this stuff seriously, heaven forbid anyone else does.

Ah it's all part of it. If you don't believe your opinons over others then why have an opinion at all. I'm absolutely positive Jay Gruden is a better head coach than I am but when he ****s up his clock management I'm going to question him too. It's all relative. 

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I mean, it's certainly possible. Derwin James also could have blown out his knee walking to the podium after we drafted him.

Life is strange like that.

McLovin could have also been totally sober, and not swimming in a vat of tequila when the Browns set their board.

I’ll never get upset about taking a DT in the draft in the first round. Most take some training and development to become good, but patience begets strength. No one truly knows who will bust. This guy might not be Ngota, but he has potential and a motor. It’s a good combination. Plus, his buds are here. That can help if they’re all serious about football.

1 minute ago, wolfsire said:

James is a beast with all the skills to track and deliver. How we pass on him is beyond me. We missed on a future all-pro. This organization is a mess.

He is no taylor,Reed,or palamalu..

Payne's a piece to the defensive puzzle, he's not "the missing piece."

He'll help to make the defense better, not worse. By doing his job consistently, and maybe even doing it pretty well, he'll help others on the defense look better...our linebackers, the db's. 

So, is this a sexy pick? No. 

Does this pick help the team? Yes.

Is there a potential upside to this pick without much downside? Most definitely.

1 minute ago, wolfsire said:

James is a beast with all the skills to track and deliver. How we pass on him is beyond me. We missed on a future all-pro. This organization is a mess.

We went with a super duper safe pick for need. Very unlikely Payne is a bust because he's pretty physically gifted and is a hard worker. But IMO also just as unlikely that he's an All Pro. James would have been a more risky pick with ridiculous upside. We aren't really known for those picks, especially on defense. 

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I don’t take my own opinion on this stuff seriously, heaven forbid anyone else does.

You've been here a long time my friend, you should know better than to ever think this :ols:.

But in all seriousness, I don't believe in always deferring to the wisdom of the pros when it comes to the draft.  It's hard to draft and even smart people who are good at their jobs make mistakes.  Sometimes really obvious ones.  Like giving up the farm to pick Marcus Davenport about ten picks early...

But I'm with you, I don't think picking Payne is an example of the front office making a mistake.  I am as pure a BPA guy as anyone on this board and I believe Payne at 13 is a value pick, especially with the QBs and Nelson and Roquan and Barkley and Ward and Fitzpatrick off the board.

Payne was my boy.  I spent like 5 hours making gifs of him doing his thing and arguing for him the past two weeks, and I wouldn't do that for someone I didn't really like.  This feels like 2015 when we picked another one of my boys in Scherff and the board was really pissed off about it.  But it was the right move.

20 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Not you, Cooley.  He's a lousy talking head who shouldn't be joking about other people in the organization losing their jobs.

Ok, got it. :)  I am citing Cooley not because he or for that matter anyone is the definitive opinion about anything.  But I've just noticed that in his film reviews he's been really spot on about D lineman including saying Ionnaidis is going to be a stud when they took him.   

And like I said weeks back when Cooley did his film reviews -- we all gravitate towards people who share our opinions so maybe that was it with me with Cooley's take.  But he described Payne for my taste to a tee.  Good player -- sees no greatness in him.  And we can do better at 13.  

I don't think he will be a bust, too.  But I will be surprised if we are talking about the dude as one of the better D lineman in the game down the road.    The best analogy I can think of is he will be like a Mason Foster type addition to the D line.  Good player-solid-consistent but nothing special -- not a Sean Lee.

And I really am hoping hard that I am wrong.  :)

7 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

Ah it's all part of it. If you don't believe your opinons over others then why have an opinion at all. I'm absolutely positive Jay Gruden is a better head coach than I am but when he ****s up his clock management I'm going to question him too. It's all relative. 

I know football, I like to think I understand what I’m looking at. But I also know there is a reason I don’t ‘do’football for a living nor do I put the grinding hours and hours into the scouting and grading process those in NFL front offices do. So I’m not arguing we as fans should not have opinions - just don’t fall in love with them and over react based on them.

It is what it is. The proof will be on the field. As Redskins fans all we can do is hope it all works out.

Archived