Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Draft Day Thread

Wildbunny

1 hour ago, HardcoreZorn said:

That’s cool to hear. Regarding Payne and I’ve seen you say Cooley has said that multiple times, and that you trust his evaluation when it comes to DL. But when it comes to Payne, I wonder how much of his opinion would change if Payne were asked to play a different role in that defense.

I am super encouraged by his athletic profile. He honestly is pretty comparable with some of the elites at the position when it comes to measurables, and that paired with Tomsula has me at tha very least cautiously optimistic. We shall see though.

I do trust Cooley on DTs because he's been right on everyone I can think of.  However, my take on Payne had nothing to do with Cooley.   I've watched Alabama plenty.  If i recall ironically the first two players (or close enough to the first two) I highlighted last year on the draft thread were Payne and Guice.  So it was ironic that we ended up with both.  But I don't want to get into it about Payne again -- I'll just say this yeah I am aware (I am sure Cooley, too) about the role of a nose tackle as to eating blocks and at least try to factor that.   And again i am no scout obviously, I could be dead wrong and i hope i am.  :)  

My criticism of Payne is a little different than Cooley.  Cooley's take is he doesn't see much pass rush/play making potential in him.  I actually am more optimistic than Cooley on that front.  My take is Payne isn't this nose tackle immovable rock -- a good center like Ragnow for example can wash him out of the play and create a crease.  I enjoy watching the Giants' Damon Harrison.  I don't think Payne is a monster like that, who just swallows up the A gap and destroy double teams kind of guy.  At times yeah but at times no.   But anyway, will see.  Like Cooley I think he's a good player.  Not a great player.  I think Derwin James and Edmunds will be great.   That's it. 

I might be remembered months from now as a Payne hater.  But am far from it.  I hated the FA signings last year at DT, I thought they were "meh".  And it bothers me that we don't seem to go after high end talent at D line in FA.    But there is nothing "meh" to me about Payne in the middle. He will be fun to watch and I agree with you that Tomsula might help him emerge.  to me this is a bit similar to the Kerrigan pick.  We all love Kerrigan - good pick and it would be weird saying otherwise. Payne to me will end up the same way.  In a vacuum it will be seen as a good pick.  But when we compare him to others who they could have taken, I think we might regret it.  Ironically them taking Settle made me feel worse not better about the pick because my mantra on the draft thread is take an NT (and I included Settle in that mix) later in the draft versus Payne at 13.

Having said that, if you told me before the draft we would end up with Payne and Guice I'd have told you I love it.  So I don't want to whine about it anymore but since you asked in the context of Cooley I figured I'd explain.  I think Guice = stud.  You would be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of the dude on this board I've been singing his praises for a long time.   As for Payne, I actually think he will bring more pass rush than his critics project.  I am just not sold that he's an elite NT run stuffer.  I think he's a good one.  And by comparison to Hood -- it will feel like elite.  But toe to toe with the best NTs like Harrison, I don't think he's in their league.  But I do think Tomsula can coach him up to that -- will see!  

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-tandlers-take-grading-redskins-draft

I think that the topic of drafting Payne with Derwin James and Tremaine Edmunds still on the board has been covered adequately here. I think that the defense may have been better in the long run if they had taken James and then had fourth-round pick Tim Settle of Virginia Tech play nose tackle instead of drafting Payne. But the Redskins did what they believed they had to do to correct the rushing defense, the single biggest deficiency on the team. It’s hard to blame them much for that. 

I don't think Payne is going to be a career DT, but will end up elite at DE. Just not yet. 

James, there's no reason to draft a SS that high. 

Edmunds, maybe, but will he ever learn the game or just be an athlete playing football? 

If they knew they could get Settle in the 5th I'm sure they would've taken James or Edmunds in the 1st......or traded down and taken one of the OGs/Centers.

In the moment our first 2 picks were fulfilling with adding a 3rd. What we did in 3-4 tho.....

I wasn't sure where to post this, but it will be nice to finally not dread short yardage situations. Every time we had another team in 3rd or 4th and short it seemed obvious that they were going to win at the LOS and shove it down our throats. Now we can line up Payne, Settle, Allen, Ioannidis, McGee, Smith and Kerrigan, I don't feel like that is the case. I would expect that group to win at the LOS, more often than not. 

Maybe after adding Guice, even if we don't shore up the LG spot, our short yardage offense will also be better. 

12 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't think Payne is going to be a career DT, but will end up elite at DE. Just not yet. 

James, there's no reason to draft a SS that high. 

Edmunds, maybe, but will he ever learn the game or just be an athlete playing football? 

You could say the same thing about Payne at times as he's still rather raw. Not sure why you rule a player out due to the position he plays. The same thing was said about guards and they've been going top 10 in the past few years. 

23 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

You could say the same thing about Payne at times as he's still rather raw. Not sure why you rule a player out due to the position he plays. The same thing was said about guards and they've been going top 10 in the past few years. 

I didn't rule anyone out. I ruled out draft value of a position. 

Archived