Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: An inmate died after being locked in a scalding shower for two hours. His guards won’t be charged.

China

An inmate died after being locked in a scalding shower for two hours. His guards won’t be charged.

Darren Rainey, an inmate at the Dade Correctional Institution in South Florida, was serving a prison sentence for cocaine possession in June 2012, when guards took him out of his cell, forced him into a shower stall and locked the door.

From the outside, they turned the water on scalding hot, possibly as high as 180 degrees, then walked away. As the narrow room filled with steam, Rainey, a 50-year-old with schizophrenia, could be heard screaming, “I can’t take it anymore,” a fellow inmate would later say.

After nearly two hours, the guards went in to check on him. Rainey lay dead on his back in three inches of water. His skin had reddened and begun to peel off, flecks of it floating next to him, as the Miami Herald reported.

Click on the link for the full article

I've few doubts that the report is a wonderful example of circling the wagons.  "Slippage" from medics moving him.  Yeah okay, medics totally caused peeling of the skin from moving him or doing CPR.

Lets check back in 3 years when the family wins a civil case.  Tax dollars at work.

I truly hate that they let this **** happen to people. I didn't read the full link (or any of it, honestly) but I remember the story when it happened. This was basically the straw that broke the camel's back for the prison industry for me....asaide from the slavery that is. 

I remember reading the other prisoners disruption of this man screening about how he learned his lesson and he was sorry while they burned him to death. I remember reading about the shady hook up they have in the back to bypass they heat regulations on that shower...which indicates this isn't the first time it happened. And I remember that they made another inmate clean up the leftovers when they were done. 

Dangerously sick people do **** like that. Then turn around and call the inmates scum. Then they get away with it. Smh. 

10 hours ago, Destino said:

Terrill Thomas died of dehydration in a Milwaukee County Jail and spent his dying days begging for water which he never received.  I don't think anyone was even charged. 

That's David Clarke's jail. The new celebrity sheriff and the rightful successor to Sheriff Joe. It's disturbing how many people admire those two. 

Lack of empathy causes stuff like this.

the DA in the case has NEVER charged anyone involved in the criminal justice system. Says everything.

Terrible case but it will continue to happen because YOU ALL have no empathy and compassion. (do not mean you all in this thread but you all as a society. Don't care about black lives, prisoners, etc)

1. The biggest issue here is not the guards, or the hot water or his death ... it's that he was in PRISON for POSSESSING COCAINE as a schizophrenic. That's ridiculous for anyone, but for someone with a condition that essentially is like being on LSD all day, an embarrassment for our allegedly great justice system. The only people I want in prison are killers, rapists, sociopaths and other violent people who are a threat walking around everyday. He should've been sentenced to community service and rehab if he needed it.

16 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

I've few doubts that the report is a wonderful example of circling the wagons.  "Slippage" from medics moving him.  Yeah okay, medics totally caused peeling of the skin from moving him or doing CPR.

Q:       How could he not be burned, but have his skin “coming off”?

A:        This is a result of several factors. The first factor is that Mr. Rainey’s body blocked the drain after he died causing the incoming water to pool within the shower.  Second, the humidity within the shower room accelerated Mr. Rainey’s body to decompose and loosen his skin. As a result of the onset of decomposition and loose skin, life-support efforts (such as CPR) caused the loose skin to be dislodged at the points of contact.

(from the report)

Well good thing there's a faq! Makes perfect sense! 

8 hours ago, PF Chang said:

That's David Clarke's jail. The new celebrity sheriff and the rightful successor to Sheriff Joe. It's disturbing how many people admire those two. 

Is that right?

Trump really must be the all time pig caller.

In this election context, I have never seen such an assembly of human swine as those wallowing in don's sty.

On 3/22/2017 at 5:55 PM, Jumbo said:

Is that right?

Trump really must be the all time pig caller.

In this election context, I have never seen such an assembly of human swine as those wallowing in don's sty.

Wait, how can that be? He promised, promised, the best people, the very best!

Archived