Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Tells All on ESPN 980 (RGIII, McNabb, Manning, Haynseworth) Link included w/ Audio

Boss_Hogg

Am I allowed to believe that Snyder enabled Griffin, Griffin was/is not the ideal coachable QB who has a bit of an ego, the cap penalty magnified a lot of our issues, and that the Redskins are and have been a complete mess for as long as I can remember… while STILL thinking that Shanahan was an utter failure who did a piss poor job managing the roster, terrible job managing relationships within Redskins park (including with the owner and QB), and was much more of a factor in most of these things he talked about than the “innocent bystander” role he portrayed in this interview?

Or do I have to pick a side? 

I hope so, because that's where I expect a lot of us are at. And it seems like mainly common sense. 

Telling us that pointing out the lack of believability in Shanny's words means we are "pro-Snyder" is a bit like saying that being against Hitler is an endorsement of Stalin.

I hope so, because that's where I expect a lot of us are at. And it seems like mainly common sense. 

Telling us that pointing out the lack of believability in Shanny's words means we are "pro-Snyder" is a bit like saying that being against Hitler is an endorsement of Stalin.

<staff edit>

;)

(that's more of a joke for Tailgate, please nobody respond to that)

There is a difference between having something "forced" on you and being convinced otherwise.  I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle. 

Shanny wants to keep the picks and grab Tannehill, Front office wants to trade the picks and make a splash with Griffin. 

Front office tries hard to gain Shanahan's buy in on trading away the picks.

Shanny sees and meets with Griffin and then begins coming around to the idea of trading picks.

Shanny can now sell this that it wasn't his idea and pass the blame all the while telling somewhat the truth.

That's Stephen's Smith Story of the trade with First Take.   But it wasn't Shanny's story today.  Shanny talked up the Baylor tape said the price was high but you need a franchise QB to win in this league.   Shanny implied he was all in on the trade, except for he didn't anticipate the salary cap penalty.  Sheehan on another show in the past said he spoke to Shanny on the issue, and Shanny was all in on RG3 but not McNabb.

If people want to turn this as anti-RG3 post, there are some things you can cull to take you there.  But the idea that Shanny didn't want RG3 wasn't one of them, in fact quite the opposite.

I think Shanny is a rat, but his details on the meeting with RG3 and how RG3 talked to him... I mean, wow. 

Which is why I don't buy it.  Shanny wouldn't have tolerated it.  He would have told RGIII to shut up and sit because he ain't the head coach and if he won't run the plays called then he doesn't play.  Shanny's contract gave him too much power and authority and I don't see him whimpering and groveling before Griffin even if the kid was everyone's darling. I don't even see Mike cowering before Snyder. He held all the cards.  Do you really believe he refused to play a single one?

Now, I do believe some variation of that happened. RGIII and the coaches probably sat in some offseason planning meeting and RGIII said something like... Can we change it up? I got killed last year. I don't want to run so much run option.

Now, I do believe some variation of that happened. RGIII and the coaches probably sat in some offseason planning meeting and RGIII said something like... Can we change it up? I got killed last year. I don't want to run so much run option.

I would buy that. 

However, it should be clear by now that RG3 is not a fan of the read/option offense and simply doesn't want to run it much if at all. So for all those fans constantly saying, "Get him back to what he did in 2012," this should be Exhibit Q on why that isn't a viable option. 

He had the right guy interviewing him, Kevin Sheehan would have Shanny's babies if he could.  I generally like Sheehan but I can't recall a radio personality so infatuated with a coach.   Heck I recall Adam Schefter going on to Sheehan's show and Sheehan asked him point blank, Shanny could have had a HC job if he wanted it, right?  Schefter said no, it just didn't work out for him.  Weeks later, Sheehan goes on his show about how Shanny of course could have been a head coach if he choose to take a job, this year. 

Yeah, somebody said it before, it's no coincidence why he was on the Sports Fix and not some other show.  Shanny's a lot of things, but he's no dummy.

This whole thing is a much needed reminder that we are never going to be good... EVER!!! New coach, new DC, new GM, new QB... None of it matters.

Statements like this always make me think... then why the hell are you watching.  Do something that makes you happy. If you have no hope get out. You can volunteer, play catch with you kid, make love to the person you care about, or do any number of things... but if you believe your team will always suck and never be good why put yourself through that.

Why be on a Redskins message board in the off season discussing a team that you have no hope for.

Shanny is an admitted liar....he started every answer with "to be honest with you"

Shanny is full of BS....he wants to coach again...he didn't get a job this year....he needs to make sure the mistakes that happened here were not his fault.   I hope people are not naive enough to believe what Shanny was selling.

You think an owner/GM is going to hire him after he spilled on the Redskins (even though we are the Redskins)?

Nope.

He's probably doing this because he didn't get a job.

We had nothing to gain from doing this, why the **** did Kevin do this....

He had the right guy interviewing him, Kevin Sheehan would have Shanny's babies if he could. I generally like Sheehan but I can't recall a radio personality so infatuated with a coach. Heck I recall Adam Schefter going on to Sheehan's show and Sheehan asked him point blank, Shanny could have had a HC job if he wanted it, right? Schefter said no, it just didn't work out for him. Weeks later, Sheehan goes on his show about how Shanny of course could have been a head coach if he choose to take a job, this year.

Yep.

I used to love sheehan and the sports fix. His infatuation with shanny (and kyle) and continual defending of this guy is borderline bizarre. The man didn't have a show during the season in which he didn't say "guess that's Mikes fault". Or credit kyle with Clevelands relative success.

He's become unlistenable.

Am I allowed to believe that Snyder enabled Griffin, Griffin was/is not the ideal coachable QB who has a bit of an ego, the cap penalty magnified a lot of our issues, and that the Redskins are and have been a complete mess for as long as I can remember… while STILL thinking that Shanahan was an utter failure who did a piss poor job managing the roster, terrible job managing relationships within Redskins park (including with the owner and QB), and was much more of a factor in most of these things he talked about than the “innocent bystander” role he portrayed in this interview?

Or do I have to pick a side?

Very astute point.

Which is why I don't buy it.  Shanny wouldn't have tolerated it.  He would have told RGIII to shut up and sit because he ain't the head coach and if he won't run the plays called then he doesn't play.  Shanny's contract gave him too much power and authority and I don't see him whimpering and groveling before Griffin even if the kid was everyone's darling. I don't even see Mike cowering before Snyder. He held all the cards.  Do you really believe he refused to play a single one?

The cards that Shanahan held, assuming he wants to be in the NFL, are directly related to his ability to get an(other) NFL job.

If there is a "black mark" on his record after leaving Denver and he has limited options of getting back into the league, then despite what his contract says, he has limited cards.

Yes, he can walk away and try and go after Dan for violating the contract and collect the money, but if he has a black mark on his record fighting with Snyder over the money makes it worse (who wants to hire somebody that has sued an ex-employer even if you think the ex-employer is a jerk and an idiot if there are some questions with respect to the guy anyway).

And he's not likely to get another NFL job.

Shanahan might not have the power that we think and even Snyder might not realize that (i.e. Snyder might not know things that other NFL power brokers know with respect to Shanahan getting another NFL job).

This might also explain why he ended up coupled to a personal man that I don't think has a lot of other options in the NFL, a DC that clearly had no other NFL options (Haz had been coaching in all sorts of other leagues for a while, but hadn't sniffed an NFL job), and his son as the OC.

The Redskins with and under Shanahan may have become a place to go when you had no other options in the NFL + Kyle because he was family.

Even now, are we the place to go when you have no other options (to move up) (recovering alcoholic GM, HC that I'm not sure there was a lot of demand for to move above his OC job, a DC that was a LBC on a team with an OK defense that is tied to a 1-15 team as a DC in the past).  Were any of them getting jobs of comparable levels anywhere else?

Then you have to ask what is the cause and effect.  Does the dysfunction attract people with limited options (assuming that's the case) or does Snyder attract people with limited options because it allows him to exercise some level of control creating dysfunction?

Would Wade Philips take the job as the Redskins DC?

Would Snyder offer him the job?

I have difficulty with his statements on McNabb and the trade, because he had the most power he ever would at the time

If he didn't want Donovan he simply could have said "no, or else fire me" and Dan would have been on the hook for 35M

The Robert-Dan stuff I totally buy. There were multiple articles in 2012 comparing RG3 and Aaron Rodgers (including a damn good one written by Chris Brown at Smart football) and no doubt Robert read those also

Ngata sliding into his knee head first killed this franchise.

No injury, no Cousins, no doubts in Robert's head, no "I gotta be a pocket passer" nonsense, and in fact we may roll through the playoffs in January 2013

Archived