Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Tells All on ESPN 980 (RGIII, McNabb, Manning, Haynseworth) Link included w/ Audio

Boss_Hogg

Wow.

Audio here: http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=428&f=4017213

So Mike Shanahan had a telephone interview with Kevin Sheehan and Tom Loverro. 

We're currently posting tweets about this in Zoony Twitter thread, but here are some of the other juicy nuggets:

- Trading up for Robert Griffin III was not Mike Shanahan’s first choice.

- Shanahan said he really wanted to sign Peyton Manning.

- Shanahan said Peyton didn't want to be in the same division as his brother

- The mega trade for RGIII was a "huge risk"

“I did not feel good about giving up two No. 1s and a No. 2, and they all knew I felt that way,” Shanahan said. “I said, ‘Hey, yeah, I would take the chance. But I want you to know that he’s really going to have to commit to what we’re doing.'”

- Griffin didn't like the read-option, even though that's what Griffin did best

- Griffin was bothered by the fact that they called a different style of offense for Cousins

- Shanahan also said he felt at times that Griffin wasn’t being forthright with him about the health of his injured knee

- Mike was very unhappy with the decision to trade for McNabb, but that was a decision that G.M. Bruce Allen made at the behest of owner Dan Snyder.

I'll post more. 

- Shanahan couldn't stand Albert Haynesworth

- says it was frustrating to inherit Haynesworth’s enormous contract and bad attitude.

- Shanahan thinks he was saddled with a bad roster in Washington, right from the start.

-

- Shanahan said that Washington was very high on five quarterbacks in the 2012 draft: Griffin, Andrew Luck, Ryan Tannehill, Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins. 

- But while Shanahan wasn’t happy with the trade for McNabb, he said that McNabb wasn’t to blame for the team’s problems. Shanahan thinks the team would have been lousy in 2010 no matter who was at quarterback.

- Mike Shanahan I went to Dan Snyder & told him there's no way to win in the NFL unless owner, GM, head coach, and QB r on same page

- Mike dodged the question about showing negative RGIII film

Mike Shanahan singing:

I am just a poor boy.
Though my story's seldom told,
I have surrendered all my control

For a pocketful of millions,
And some promises
All schemes and drafts
Still, Dan hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest.

When I left my home

Brought my family,
I was no more than a pro
In the company of strangers
I took the mantle of GM Head Coach
Running scared,
Laying low,
Giving in, to scouts and poorer owners
On all the important calls,
Looking for the results
I'll tell you what I know

Lie lie lie

Lie lie lie lie lie lie lie

Lie lie lie

Lie lie lie lie lie lie lie lie lie lie lie lie.

(With thanks to both Paul Simon and the Capitol Steps)

He also said he knew Dan Snyder was telling Robert he should go to the head coach and demand not to call certain plays that were "unacceptable."

Mike confronted Dan over it, but he denied having anything to do with it.

Sigh.  I can hear the old Guiding Light theme song in the background.

Shanny is an admitted liar....he started every answer with "to be honest with you"

Shanny is full of BS....he wants to coach again...he didn't get a job this year....he needs to make sure the mistakes that happened here were not his fault.   I hope people are not naive enough to believe what Shanny was selling.

Shanahan is yesterday's news to me...plus the more he talks the less employable he becomes.

Unprofessional regardless of the circumstances.

I heard the interview. Griffin comes across as a know it all who's hard to coach.

It's obvious Griffin isn't the most straight forward guy around. So what? That's why we pay coaches millions of $$$$$$.

A bad man manager is always great at pointing the finger of blame in any walk of life.

I heard the interview. Griffin comes across as a know it all who's hard to coach.

Yes because Mike Shanahan is noted for his honesty. Come on, he's absolving himself of everything. He was fired from the Broncos by Bowlen whom loved him because of his horrible personell decisions.

Three picks for what should be in the OP as for what was said...

"We could not have made the trade for Robert if we knew about the salary cap penalty".....

Mike Shanahan's pre-draft assessment of RGIII: "We can do this, but we've got to run the style of offense he ran at Baylor.".....

And finally....

"RG3 told me I have ride with him or don't after he said he couldn't run read option in Seattle playoff game".....

Which we all can agree that Griffin won the NFL's rookie of the year 2012 award because he ran the Read Option and we know that Griffin can't run that offense today because of his knees. We don't know today if he will ever become a pocket passer because he's learning how to do that in the hardest place to do that in and the results so far say he can't but he's our #1 anyway.

I can't wait to hear this whole interview or see it transcribed

Makes sense to me. We have a real problem with just hating coaches around here. after years of hearing about these things snyder does, and after Roberts been benched a second time, some of us still just insist mike Shannahan was a crazy **** that wanted to ruin the team for some reason.

Shanny made himself sound like he had no control.....he blamed Dr. Andrews, RG3, Allen and Snyder.

Here's the bottom line...Shanny had total control of personnel and coaching decisions.....he could have quit and collected his money if Snyder/Allen were over ruling him (breech of contract)

Here's the bottom line...Shanny had total control of personnel and coaching decisions.....he could have quit and collected his money if Snyder/Allen were over ruling him (breech of contract)

You make that sound easy. "He should have just quit his job!".

He didn't want rg3 because it was too costly and rg3 is not a normal qb. he was right. He was right about Haynesworth. he still put together an offense that worked and gave us our best moments as fans in years.

We would have to be undefeated super bowl champions 3 years in a row to respect a coach around here it seems.

You make that sound easy. "He should have just quit his job!".

He didn't want rg3 because it was too costly and rg3 is not a normal qb. he was right. He was right about Haynesworth. he still put together an offense that worked and gave us our best moments as fans in years.

We would have to be undefeated super bowl champions 3 years in a row to respect a coach around here it seems.

Yeah, but remember this isn't just about RGIII. He was dead set against the trade for McNabb too.  Bruce Allen over ruled him on that one :rolleyes:

I dont believe one second of it. But as usual, those who Want To Believe, will. Its no coin idence that the interview took place on The **** Fix.

He had total control of all football ops. It was in his contract. He pedaled out McNabb, Beck, and Grossman, then decided to get Griffin, whom he left in the playoff game.

Griffin did t need to be forthright. The average numbskull fan coukd tell he was laboring, and needed to sit down. Um, thats on the coach. It will always be on the coach.

Use your brain cells

I'm sure it was Snyder's idea to trade a 3rd round pick for Jamal Brown.....I'm sure when Shanny said he'd stake his reputation on on Grossman and Beck; he was just covering for Snyder, because we all know how much Snyder loved those two QB's.

The Snyder haters out there need to realize that the media hates him and everything will be spun to make it his fault.....coaches like Shanny know this and will use the media to take the blame off themselves.

I don't think Mike needs to lie in order to absolve himself. This organization has been messed up for a long time.

However Mike had his hand in this dysfunction with the Beck Grossman crap in 2011

That was actually one of the least dysfunctional years I can remember. Just seemed like we were a bad team that was willing to admit they were a bad team. Played out a rebuilding season without pretending we were one piece away from a Super Bowl.

Archived