Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Tells All on ESPN 980 (RGIII, McNabb, Manning, Haynseworth) Link included w/ Audio

Boss_Hogg

If you're going to cherrypick away his best four years where he benefitted from Elway, you should also throw out the four years where he had to deal with this trainwreck of an organization and idiot meddling owner. So his record goes to 99-81. Which is respectable.

Having said that, I wouldn't hire him for HC anywhere at this point. Kyle, yes.

I wouldn't call 16 out of 20 years "cherry picking".

That's his record. Including this team, of which he contractually had full control for 4 years.

Damage control from the Beav

I wonder why he didn't draft a single QB before RG3. Who commences a 5 year rebuild, and then doesn't draft one in the first 2 years? 

If I was the owner I would have been breathing down his neck too. Draft someone, you idiot!  And at that point, I would have likely started eyeballing QBs, since Mike was not even taking a chance with late rounders. What about RG3? 

Mike didn't have to do what Dan said, especially since they were such awful moves. Yet, we made the playoffs. So how awful were they? The owner makes him take RG3 and we made the playoffs. Mike is basically making excuses for making the playoffs. 

How many NFL coaches would have winning records if you discounted their 4 best years? Lombardi, Noll, and Belichick probably. Gibbs maybe?

Edit: Gibbs definitely does.

Sacks, I'm not talking about 4 out of 8 years. I'm talking about 4 out of 20.

That's 80% of his career, even by my fuzzy, bad math.

If you want to believe a coach or anyone for that matter should be represented by 20% of their work, we'll disagree.

Elway had been to 3 super bowls without Mikes help.

Generally I don't dwell on the injury-Seattle playoff game but the irony of that game is its the closest I've seen Shanny talk about regret and wanting a do-over, forgot when he said it but about a year or so ago, he said something to the effect of he wanted to take him out and he should have listened to his own instincts.

Today, he went there again but pointed the blame more sharply elsewhere so absolving himself from it.  Today it was more or less killing Dr. Andrews.  And more or less saying between RG3 saying he was fine and Andrews really going to town on saying he's fine, Shanny kept him in.  And Shanny gave multiple reasons for why he wanted him out in the game but he was listening to Andrews and RG3.  Ok, so the dude is only the head coach, apparently Andrews and a 22 year old QB are responsible for making the call.

And the McNabb trade.  He wasn't apparently on board with giving up draft picks for him.  He wanted Bulger but that didn't come together.  So again the guy with total control over personnel.  In year 1, he is powerless in influencing one of the biggest trades in franchise history.  He's just some sideline player watching it all unfold and making the best of it.

Two examples for me of Shanny just in spin mode.  The alternative theory is the idea that he's a strong personality is way off the mark and he's truly a pushover who is run over by stronger personalities.  I doubt it but that doesn't make him look good either.  I'd give Shanny credibility if he owned up for something going wrong that he made a mistake about.   But really the interview laid out OTHER people's mistakes and Shanny went into these mistakes in detail.  I'll give him his tone-demeanor was very pleasant as he was laying people out.

And heck am sure there are people to blame in the mess, am not a big Dan fan myself -- but to me it strikes me nuts that Shanny himself, the guy who was the defacto GM and head coach wasn't culpable in what went wrong during his tenure.  

You think an owner/GM is going to hire him after he spilled on the Redskins (even though we are the Redskins)?

Nope.

He's probably doing this because he didn't get a job.

We had nothing to gain from doing this, why the **** did Kevin do this....

Maybe he did it to keep his Hall Of Fame credentials

How many NFL coaches would have winning records if you discounted their 4 best years? Lombardi, Noll, and Belichick probably. Gibbs maybe?

Edit: Gibbs definitely does.

Well, I haven't actually done the research, and I'm doing this off the top of my head, but I'd say that I would be shocked if Shula, Landry, George Allen, Madden, Marty,  Levy, Dan Reeves, Parcells, (maybe) Seifert, Cowher, Holmgren, Coughlin, Reid, Dungy and Sean Payton didn't make the list, and I'm sure there a few more.

Not that it really means anything, but I think it's probably a little more common, at least amoungst the best coaches, than you give it credit for.

You're leaving out Robert. Mike's hand was forced, just like Jay's was. 

the guy with 2 super bowls, with full control of the roster (just like he had his last 10 mostly forgettable years in denver) - his hand was forced? by dan snyder? (jay has no such control, btw)

i dont think so. 

mike shanahan doesnt pick up the phone unless its understood he calls all the shots. especially working for a guy with snyders rep.

no way in hell. 

As great and fun as this interview was (part true, part likely not true, part not owning or mentioning his own mistakes) this probably seals the deal that he won't coach in the NFL ever again.  If you own a team the last thing you want is to hire a guy that is capable of going on a self-serving rant if they're fired regardless of the circumstances.

As great and fun as this interview was (part true, part likely not true, part not owning or mentioning his own mistakes) this probably seals the deal that he won't coach in the NFL ever again.  If you own a team the last thing you want is to hire a guy that is capable of going on a self-serving rant if they're fired regardless of the circumstances.

Well, I think he's banking on people being so down on Snyder that he comes across as a complete victim. To the extent that Shanahan selling his owner out to the media would be understandable. 

It's the kind of thing that could only tried with Snyder, maybe Al Davis when he was around. 

Well, I think he's banking on people being so down on Snyder that he comes across as a complete victim. To the extent that Shanahan selling his owner out to the media would be understandable. 

It's the kind of thing that could only tried with Snyder, maybe Al Davis when he was around. 

I completely understand the why (and the last sentance), but if your the owner of an NFL team you simply don't hire someone who is capable of doing this.  I mean think about this is a rarity of actually hearing stuff like this directly from the former head coach.  Think about Harbaugh's comments the other day, that was a slight at the 49rs but very muted in specifics.  This is generally the extent of what you hear from former head coaches that leave the team on relatively bad terms.

I've seen it before in more traditional corporate environments in hiring decisions.  Especially in a leadership positions the last thing they want to see online is you burning bridges in a public forum........they do google and background searches for this stuff.  The bridge may be burned already privately but you cross a different line when you're the one sharing it publicly.

Sacks, I'm not talking about 4 out of 8 years. I'm talking about 4 out of 20.

That's 80% of his career, even by my fuzzy, bad math.

If you want to believe a coach or anyone for that matter should be represented by 20% of their work, we'll disagree.

Elway had been to 3 super bowls without Mikes help.

Removing 20% of his career to make your point is laughable. You're going to handicap him for having a good QB, but not give him any benefit of the doubt when he's working for a proven dysfunctional organization. Completely imbalanced opinion

The bus will run better in the snow with all the people Shanny threw under it.

Everyone was saying RG3 needed to start working on pocket passing skills and stay in it longer to preserve his career. He wanted the same thing. Shanny says he wanted to focus on read option instead, and people are defending that? Likely some of the same who have said read option would get him killed if he kept using it too much. 

As far as others making decision when the notorious control-freak Shanny had the reigns, that's a laughable notion.

All he shed light on today was why so many former players hate him and why Denver never got back to the big game after Elway (something some fans were dubious about when we hired him), and that is that he doesn't admit his mistakes and learn from them, rather he passes the buck. Seriously doubt Snyder lobbied for Jamal Brown, Beck, Grossman, Haslett, or the under-qualified assistant and position coaches that were Kyle's buddies.

What's also funny is that if you subtract his four best years for whatever absurd reason, he's still a .500 coach which is significantly better than the Redskins have done the last 16 years and significantly better than he did himself while here in DC. lol at people who are so hellbent on believing we're sooooo much better off without Shanahan. 

Removing 20% of his career to make your point is laughable. You're going to handicap him for having a good QB, but not give him any benefit of the doubt when he's working for a proven dysfunctional organization. Completely imbalanced opinion

He was in FULL CONTROL. He had every opportunity to remove the dysfunction. Instead he brought his own brand of it.

Archived