Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Tells All on ESPN 980 (RGIII, McNabb, Manning, Haynseworth) Link included w/ Audio

Boss_Hogg

At least he tended to confirm a lot of the anonymous reports that came out over the past few years.  Of course he was probably the original source for a lot of those reports anyway.  

The fact that the owner would campaign to use a player a certain way just proves for the umpteenth time that he meddles.  He's always going to meddle and it's probably going to impact the team negatively.  Bring on all the scouting whizzes you want (btw, notice he hasn't fired anybody?), it likely won't change anything.  

This is a collective fail on all fronts. Mike Shanahan, Robert Griffin III, and Dan Snyder all deserve blame.

I'm surprised many of you are taking Dan Snyder's side on this.

We can't have both a bad owner and Mike being a failure as HC/GM?

It has to be either/or?

Its not like there isn't a precedent for both.

He had the right guy interviewing him, Kevin Sheehan would have Shanny's babies if he could.  I generally like Sheehan but I can't recall a radio personality so infatuated with a coach.   Heck I recall Adam Schefter going on to Sheehan's show and Sheehan asked him point blank, Shanny could have had a HC job if he wanted it, right?  Schefter said no, it just didn't work out for him.  Weeks later, Sheehan goes on his show about how Shanny of course could have been a head coach if he choose to take a job, this year. 

I'm with you.  I generally like Sheehan.  But there's no question that he's completely in Shanahan's camp.  100%.  

I really don't understand the point of it, either.  Shanahan clearing the air? For what purpose?  

I honestly don't know what to believe, and, at least about the history, I honestly don't care.  

What I care about is SM, and if he actually has control. over the roster. And since there's no way to know that, this whole conversation topic to me is pointless. 

I will leave everybody with one final thought that I learned in Business School: "Beware the Disgruntled Former Employee."

That is all.

What a surprise, RG3 fans out in full force calling it all lies. God forbid we just admit he isn't very good. He's a coachkiller and he can't even read the freaking field. And you guys want to wallow in mediocrity for the next 5 years hoping he "gets it"...

If only we had people posting free of agendas such as yourself.

We can't have both a bad owner and Mike being a failure as HC/GM?

It has to be either/or?

Its not like there isn't a precedent for both.

That's what I'm trying to say. 

This isn't all Dan's fault, or Rob's fault, or Mike's fault. 

There are some serious systematic flaws with this organization. 

Everything that happens with this team is ultimately on Dan.

However, if I embezzle money I can't really claim it's not my fault and all the blame goes on the idiot who hired me.

I totally understand your point. But, what if after you two years later somebody and bezels money. And then two years later after that somebody else and embezzles money. And in three years after that somebody else embezzles money. And this goes on systematically for 15 years. At some point you got to look towards the top and ask, why do people keep embezzling money?

I totally understand your point. But, what if after you two years later somebody and bezels money. And then two years later after that somebody else and embezzles money. And in three years after that somebody else embezzles money. And this goes on systematically for 15 years. At some point you got to look towards the top and ask, why do people keep embezzling money?

You said you totally understood my point, but it seems you're ignoring my first sentence.

However, if I embezzle money I can't really claim it's not my fault and all the blame goes on the idiot who hired me.

If you embezzle money, get fired and then somebody else comes in and embezzles money, then they get fired and somebody else comes in and embezzles money....see where I'm going here?

Now, I do believe some variation of that happened. RGIII and the coaches probably sat in some offseason planning meeting and RGIII said something like... Can we change it up? I got killed last year. I don't want to run so much run option.

I am not a Shanny fan currently, though I liked the hire initially and backed him up until his last year.  Part of why he lost me is the excuse making, its always someone else's fault or about circumstance.  That interview was no different.  He had about 1.5 hours to discuss things and there wasn't one, hey I could have done this better statements, unless I missed something.  That's rare.  Heck even Vinny and Zorn in interviews post tenure own up to somethings they would have done differently.  

The two most curious points to me about RG3 were.

A.   While he said RG3 wanted the read option out, he also said RG3 asked for it to be brought back in during the 2013 season.  So where did RG3 end up on the issue?

B.  RG3 was according to him the ultimate student in 2012, and into every detail.  Sounds like he was saying in 2013, he lost his way on that count?

My most curious point overall was:

A.  If he didn't want the Mcnabb trade how could it go down?  He just got the job and part of the drill is he had full power.  Did Danny steamroll him anyway?  Was Shanny just more wimpy than he appeared and let people walk all over him?  Or is it something in between where Shanny wasn't sure but went along and figured it was such a debacle that he'd put it all on Danny in retrospect?

He understands your point. That doesn't change his agenda.

Not mutually exclusive, Rufus.  Get with the program.

I listened to most of it. Went out to lunch around 1:15 and missed everything from that point on though. But man that was riveting stuff.

I think now that less of the blame is on Shanahan. He still gets some of course, but I think it's more on RG3 and the doctors for their failure to communicate.

I buy most of this. Still, Shanahan screwed the pooch in Seattle. As well as with some roster moves. I don't think he forgot how to coach or anything. But I do think that the owner, GM, head coach and QB were all on different volumes of a series of books, forget different pages. No one is winning like that. No one.

That's not to absolve Shanny. Just to reiterate that this franchise has been an utter mess.

Save us, McCloughan.

Yep.

I used to love sheehan and the sports fix. His infatuation with shanny (and kyle) and continual defending of this guy is borderline bizarre. The man didn't have a show during the season in which he didn't say "guess that's Mikes fault". Or credit kyle with Clevelands relative success.

He's become unlistenable.

So you think the issue is that Sheehan has gone off the rails?

You don't think that maybe he just knows something we don't? Something he can't come out and say any differently than he already has (which, he has said quite a bit as is)?

I only ask because while I've observed the same pattern you have I've chosen to believe that Sheehan knows something and it pisses him off and he's behaving accordingly as opposed to the idea that he's off his rocker...

Yeah, somebody said it before, it's no coincidence why he was on the Sports Fix and not some other show.  Shanny's a lot of things, but he's no dummy.

Besides the Shanny love, RGIII could pull 3 children out of a burning building and the Sports Fix guys would complain that he should have been studying the play book.

Shanahan also said that he agreed that Griffin should start in the 2013 opener against Philadelphia and mentioned that, even if he wanted to start Kirk, Kirk was hurt, which I had forgotten.

This is a collective fail on all fronts. Mike Shanahan, Robert Griffin III, and Dan Snyder all deserve blame. 

I'm surprised many of you are taking Dan Snyder's side on this. 

Yup, plenty of blame to go around.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is.... suppose Shanny pulls RG3 at 14-0, Cousins throws three picks. and we lose by ten points... everyone would be calling for Synder to fire him right away.  It takes a lot of balls to pull your star QB in game he's winning.

Like the old saying "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM"... nobody ever got fired for leaving your star player in when he says he's fine.

So you think the issue is that Sheehan has gone off the rails?

You don't think that maybe he just knows something we don't? Something he can't come out and say any differently than he already has (which, he has said quite a bit as is)?

I only ask because while I've observed the same pattern you have I've chosen to believe that Sheehan knows something and it pisses him off and he's behaving accordingly as opposed to the idea that he's off his rocker...

i think that sheehan basically went all in (like some of us, including me, did) on shanny. and it went wrong, and now, he doesnt want to believe that the guy he so respected, the 'future HOFer' did it wrong, partly because its so much easier to blame the owner and organization that has gotten it wrong for 16 years (as many in this thread do), despite the fact that shanny failed in remarkably similar fashion in denver once his giftwrapped QB retired. 

in 20 years as a HC in the NFL, outside of his 4 years with elway, his record is 123-121 with one playoff win in 16 seasons. 

and hes doing his best to convince anyone who will listen that its not his fault. 

in 20 years as a HC in the NFL, outside of his 4 years with elway, his record is 123-121 with one playoff win in 16 seasons. 

If you're going to cherrypick away his best four years where he benefitted from Elway, you should also throw out the four years where he had to deal with this trainwreck of an organization and idiot meddling owner.  So his record goes to 99-81.  Which is respectable.

Having said that, I wouldn't hire him for HC anywhere at this point.  Kyle, yes.

Yup, plenty of blame to go around.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is.... suppose Shanny pulls RG3 at 14-0, Cousins throws three picks. and we lose by ten points... everyone would be calling for Synder to fire him right away.  It takes a lot of balls to pull your star QB in game he's winning.

Like the old saying "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM"... nobody ever got fired for leaving your star player in when he says he's fine.

The team paid enough for Griffin that the entire fortune of the franchise was tied to his future. It didn't take guts to pull him from a game when he had an injury that jeopardized that future. No more than NFL Head Coaches display weekly.

And if the owner forced you into the trade, then there is even more reason to protect him.

Archived