Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Tells All on ESPN 980 (RGIII, McNabb, Manning, Haynseworth) Link included w/ Audio

Boss_Hogg

Everyone was saying RG3 needed to start working on pocket passing skills and stay in it longer to preserve his career. He wanted the same thing. Shanny says he wanted to focus on read option instead, and people are defending that? Likely some of the same who have said read option would get him killed if he kept using it too much. 

I hope you're joking. You think Russell Wilson doesn't run the read option or has mastered the finer points of playing QB? Wilson is not a pocket passer by any measurement. If Seattle had dropped Wilson into a west coast offense, they'd have won zero playoff games at this point.

He was in FULL CONTROL. He had every opportunity to remove the dysfunction. Instead he brought his own brand of it.

Unless you believe Shanahan is a pathological liar and has taken this radio interview as an opportunity to literally make up wild fantasies, then he clearly did not have as much FULL CONTROL as Snyder would like people to believe

Removing 20% of his career to make your point is laughable. You're going to handicap him for having a good QB, but not give him any benefit of the doubt when he's working for a proven dysfunctional organization. Completely imbalanced opinion

i'm not removing anything. 

i'm pointing out that mike had a great 4 year run as a head coach with one of the best QBs of all time, one who had been to 3 super bowls without him.  

in his 16 years as a head coach outside of that time, he's a .500 coach with one playoff win. 16 years, one playoff win. 

one can make of that whatever they wish. 

i'm not removing anything. 

i'm pointing out that mike had a great 4 year run as a head coach with one of the best QBs of all time, one who had been to 3 super bowls without him.  

in his 16 years as a head coach outside of that time, he's a .500 coach with one playoff win. 16 years, one playoff win. 

one can make of that whatever they wish. 

LOL yeah just make of that what you wish guys, just stating the FACTS.

You're not just stating facts, you're manipulating them to fit your argument. And still, see my other post -- he was "only" a .500 coach after erasing his best years from history, yet we're somehow blaming him for the failures of our vaunted and storied franchise of the last 16 years? Dream on I guess

I hope you're joking. You think Russell Wilson doesn't run the read option or has mastered the finer points of playing QB? Wilson is not a pocket passer by any measurement. If Seattle had dropped Wilson into a west coast offense, they'd have won zero playoff games at this point.

Most any QB would succeed in Seattle. 

Check his stats, his pass attempts have increased each year because they've been working on his passing as well, rather than simply over-relying on his legs. But put Wilson here, behind the same crap OL, and he'd get lit up just the same, have concerns about injury, etc. QBs can have good legs, but they have to lead teams with their arms unless the team around them is awesome, in which case they don't have to lead. Unfortunately RG3 has never been in that situation in DC.

If you want to keep denying that pretty much everybody was, and still is, saying RG3 needs to use arm more, legs less, and for good reason, then that's a conversation you can have with the wall.

GUYS SHANAHAN WAS ONLY A .500 COACH AFTER I ERASE HIS BEST FOUR YEARS FROM MY BRAIN. WE CAN'T HAVE THAT IN THE DAN SNYDER ERA OF ELITE COACHES

Most any QB would succeed in Seattle. 

Check his stats, his pass attempts have increased each year because they've been working on his passing as well, rather than simply over-relying on his legs. But put Wilson here, behind the same crap OL, and he'd get lit up just the same, have concerns about injury, etc. QBs can have good legs, but they have to lead teams with their arms unless the team around them is awesome, in which case they don't have to lead. Unfortunately RG3 has never been in that situation in DC.

What on earth are you talking about? 45 more attempts over a season??? Seattle has been 32nd, 31st and 32nd in the league in pass attempts over the last three years. Their moderate increase in pass attempts for Wilson is singularly because of certain in-game situations and not some large scale plan of developing Wilson. They simply do not throw the ball with Wilson unless it's off play action or out of absolute necessity. 

LOL yeah just make of that what you wish guys, just stating the FACTS.

You're not just stating facts, you're manipulating them to fit your argument. And still, see my other post -- he was "only" a .500 coach after erasing his best years from history, yet we're somehow blaming him for the failures of our vaunted and storied franchise of the last 16 years? Dream on I guess

Not sure what you think I'm saying.

I'm presenting mikes career record as a head coach. Did I misrepresent it? Are my numbers wrong?

If you take away bill walsh's four best years, his record is 39-47-1.

If you take away Gibbs's four best years, he is 107-85 regular season, 5-6 playoffs, and has never taken a team to a super bowl. 

....Gosh, that looks pretty good right now.

Unless you believe Shanahan is a pathological liar and has taken this radio interview as an opportunity to literally make up wild fantasies, then he clearly did not have as much FULL CONTROL as Snyder would like people to believe

I believe Shanny is trying to distance himself from blame so he can garner more interest for a coaching spot next year than what he got this year. I believe Shanny has done this many times throughout his career, and former players have said such too. This is also why he took a radio interview with a reporter who loves him and wouldn't challenge him on anything.

You really think Bruce Allen, in charge of the cap, orchestrated a trade for McNabb at Snyder's request, and Shanny, who had full control and is a notorious control freak, just let it happen and was powerless to stop it. Too bad he didn't, we could have had his genius move of Beck and Grossman, which he staked his reputation on, a whole season earlier. Or we could have had the "amazing" Marc Bulger, which would have likely been just as bad of a move as McNabb. Sweet!

Shanny may have looked like a good move initially, but it was a bad decision of hiring someone past their prime and giving too much control to him. What we're doing now, hiring a proven GM who is still in the mix and builds through the draft, is leaps and bounds smarter than making Shanny in charge of everything.

Holy crap.

I mean, he wanted out of DC because his rookie QB and owner were undermining all the authority and FULL CONTROL he had. He literally wanted out of DC because he didn't have full control, but yeah, let's keep dreaming. RG3 is bad because Shanahan ruined him, and he's also only a .500 coach (after some serious leaps), which according to Redskins fans is unmitigated fraudulence and cannot be tolerated. 

Not sure what you think I'm saying.

I'm presenting mikes career record as a head coach. Did I misrepresent it? Are my numbers wrong?

Yep, you forgot his four best years

If you take away Gibbs's four best years, he is 107-85 regular season, 5-6 playoffs, and has never taken a team to a super bowl. 

Cool story bro, now take a look at Bill Belichick's record without Brady. Every coach who had an elite QB is a fraud if you subtract their four best years.

and you forgot his actual point, rest of your post is laughable. You say Shanny had full control, yet was being undermined. Umm, how exactly could a move be made without his say so when he had contractual full control? 

Shanny was in control, made a bunch of poor moves while in charge and you're ignoring them completely to harp on his pre-packaged narrative. Did Snyder or Allen get Beck, Grossman, trade for Jamal Brown, hire Haslett, etc? Nope. He was a failure here, hired poor coaches to placate his son, who is a spitting image of him and was already booted from Cleveland, and he's doing what he has been doing for years, which is spin blame away to try and distract from the fact that he can't build a team.

I mean, he wanted out of DC because his rookie QB and owner were undermining all the authority and FULL CONTROL he had. He literally wanted out of DC because he didn't have full control, but yeah, let's keep dreaming. RG3 is bad because Shanahan ruined him, and he's also only a .500 coach (after some serious leaps), which according to Redskins fans is unmitigated fraudulence and cannot be tolerated.

You've accused me of "erasing", "removing " and" forgetting" mikes record.

I have done no such thing.

I would say that one playoff win since 1998 isn't good. Heck, the redskins as an organization have won more playoff games since then. And we suck.

However, anyone that thinks that's good is free to express that opinion. This is a message board, after all.

I believe Shanny like 95% of the way after listening to the whole thing. RG3 was stubborn and obfuscated his injuries and then had the audacity after the Seattle game to say that everyone "knew their responsibilities" in what occurred. If RG3 wasn't a little **** he would have said "NO ONE is at fault - injuries happen and I indicated to everyone involved that I was good to go until it gave way."

and you forgot his actual point, rest of your post is laughable. You say Shanny had full control, yet was being undermined. Umm, how exactly could a move be made without his say so when he had contractual full control? 

Shanny was in control, made a bunch of poor moves while in charge and you're ignoring them completely to harp on his pre-packaged narrative. Did Snyder or Allen get Beck, Grossman, trade for Jamal Brown, hire Haslett, etc? Nope. He was a failure here, hired poor coaches to placate his son, who is a spitting image of him and was already booted from Cleveland, and he's doing what he has been doing for years, which is spin blame away to try and distract from the fact that he can't build a team.

lol

I don't think anyone who has a clue actually believes Kyle Shanahan is a bad coach. He voluntarily walked away from Cleveland btw. 

And I'm not forgetting his actual point -- it's just complete garbage. He desperately wants to prove that Shanahan is a mediocre coach by erasing 20% of his career. Ok, let's do that. Now what? We can't possibly tolerate a .500 coach working for the Snyder era Redskins? I'll readily eagerly accept .500 over Jay Gruden or any of the nonsense we've experienced over the last 16 years.

Yeah, Shanahan made personnel mistakes and shouldn't be a GM, but he's easily the best football coach we've had (unless you believe semi-retired Nascar Gibbs and his run-run-pass-punt offense was legit), so fans acting somehow OUTRAGED by Shanahan failing is pure comedy. Maybe we should wake up and realize that 1) our franchise is one of the worst in sports and 2) good coaches aren't lining up to work here. 

Cool story bro, now take a look at Bill Belichick's record without Brady. Every coach who had an elite QB is a fraud if you subtract their four best years.

Chill out man, I'm on your side.  Subtracting the best four years from a HOF coach is ridiculous, especially if you aren't subtracting the worst four on the other end. 

But since apparently we're doing this now....

Dan Snyder's record as an owner, after you subtract his team's four best years:

69-123 (.359)

Never been better than 8-8, never been to the playoffs.

You've accused me of "erasing", "removing " and" forgetting" mikes record.

I have done no such thing.

I would say that one playoff win since 1998 isn't good. Heck, the redskins as an organization have won more playoff games since then. And we suck.

However, anyone that thinks that's good is free to express that opinion. This is a message board, after all.

You're seriously arguing that the Redskins record over the last 16 years is > Shanahan's AFTER subtracting his years with Elway? I'm ready to take 123-121 all day over what Snyder has accomplished.

And huge lol at moving the goal posts by now sorting by playoff wins. "The redskins have won more playoff games than Shanahan after subtracting 20% of his career!" You're making huge leaps here.

Shanahan is the best coach Snyder has had and it's really not close. If you're deluded enough to think the Redskins can readily bring in some elite coach, well you're delusional. 

He was in FULL CONTROL. He had every opportunity to remove the dysfunction. Instead he brought his own brand of it.

Noone is removing the dysfunction. Not Shanny, not Bruce… Marty couldn't do it, Gibbs couldn't do it, Jay can't do it, and neither will McLovin. Everybody thinks that they can be the one to slay the dragon but the dragon just chews up the mightiest of knights and spits em out like nothing.

GUYS SHANAHAN WAS ONLY A .500 COACH AFTER I ERASE HIS BEST FOUR YEARS FROM MY BRAIN. WE CAN'T HAVE THAT IN THE DAN SNYDER ERA OF ELITE COACHES

What on earth are you talking about? 45 more attempts over a season??? Seattle has been 32nd, 31st and 32nd in the league in pass attempts over the last three years. Their moderate increase in pass attempts for Wilson is singularly because of certain in-game situations and not some large scale plan of developing Wilson. They simply do not throw the ball with Wilson unless it's off play action or out of absolute necessity. 

Cool. I didn't realize increasing passing attempts each season was not a sign of increased role in the pocket. Seattle has Lynch, the workhorse, and an elite defense, which is why pass attempts are low. Wilson was 15th in pass attempts this season. All QBs who are expected to be team leaders eventually have to develop their passing skills. Plus, again, nothing you've said negates what so many were saying and could see, that on this Redskins team, with such poor support that Shanny built around him (some understanding of poor quality due to BS cap penalty), RG3 was going to get killed if he stuck with the read option as heavily as it was used his rookie year.

Excellent point.

A better winning percentage, with 3 non hof qbs no less, and a 5-6 playoff record beats the crap out of 1-5.

And all in far less than 16 seasons.

Good stuff.

Shanahan is the best coach Snyder has had and it's really not close. If you're deluded enough to think the Redskins can readily bring in some elite coach, well you're delusional. 

I agree with your main point but to nitpick:

The Gibbs - Shanahan comparison actually is close.

And Marty was better than either.

If only we had people posting free of agendas such as yourself.

My agenda is for the team to become good. For the last decade we have stuck with mediocre QBs past their due date out of some misguided idea that if were just patient and get them an oline and tall receivers and what have you then it'll finally work out. Believe it or not, sticking with a guy that can't read the field in year 3 isn't going to make us better. I am sick and tired of sticking with QBs that lack a basic understanding of NFL fundementals. We just need to keep drafting 1st round QBs until we get it right, in todays nfl you can tell if a QB "has it" more quickly

Archived