Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Tells All on ESPN 980 (RGIII, McNabb, Manning, Haynseworth) Link included w/ Audio

Boss_Hogg

Isn't it possible that the Rams had fielded calls on Bulger's availability from the Skins, wanted more than we wanted to give up for him, and then once we traded for McNabb they thought well there goes the chance to get anything for him and released him the next day?

Again, not saying that is what went down, but it is certainly plausible.

Certainly possible. Just seems strange.

Sheehan today said he spoke to Shanny previously and after yesterday's show.   In terms of who had control, Shanny told Sheehan he indeed had final say over personnel moves but Shanny said with multiple voices in the room its difficult to just ignore them if you want to keep camaraderie or something to that effect.

Lol. So yeah "I had full control, but only over the moves that worked".

Sheehan today said he spoke to Shanny previously and after yesterday's show.   In terms of who had control, Shanny told Sheehan he indeed had final say over personnel moves but Shanny said with multiple voices in the room its difficult to just ignore them if you want to keep camaraderie or something to that effect.

"You can have any color you want, as long as it's black."

My point was that marital matters are private and there are typically only two viewpoints from which to pull information.  With a football team much of what happens is fairly public, so we have ways to confirm what people claim.

There's no way to confirm what was said between Griffin and Snyder, or Griffin and Shanahan. None. Who is gonna confirm what Shanahan was thinking 3 years ago?

And people in a marriage are FAR more likely to confide in friends and relatives about things in their relationships than NFL head coaches, GMs and owners are to confide in the press.

We hear that Shanahan didn't want McNabb, and we then want to guess whether it's believable.  Well, we can look at the team's history: (1) the organization has given up high picks for over-the-hill big-name vets like Jason Taylor, (2) Snyder had previously undermined the autonomy of a seemingly unquestionable coaching authority like Marty, (3) Shanahan was pretty quick to bench a QB he supposedly wanted.

1) Syder didn't undermine Marty. Snyder brought in Larry Centers, Marty shipped him off immediately. Snyder LOVED Darrell Green (as we all did as fans), Marty insulted Green so much that he almost retired. Snyder wanted Santana Moss with the Skins' first round pick, Marty wanted Rod Gardner...we drafted Gardner. In fact, the ongoing rhetoric around here has been that Snyder let Marty go precisely because he knew he couldn't undermine him and wanted to do so (wanted to "play with his toy" again as it is derisively said on ES).

2) If he didn't want McNabb and the QB was forced on him, he wouldn't have been able to bench him, either. The same level of "meddling" that would have forced McNabb on Shanahan would have forced Shanahan keep him in as starter. Plus, it's only being reported that Shanahan didn't want McNabb at that price, not that he didn't want the QB at all.

It's hardly a bulletproof process but we do have more than one individual's word.

There is zero backing up any of Shanahan's claims. Doesn't mean they're not true, just that we need to stop thinking that "stories about Snyder" over the years should be taken as verification.

Again, please don't think I'm in Mike's corner.  I just happen to think his account is believable this time.

But again, just because you (or anyone) can imagine something as believable doesn't mean it's true. And I guarantee you that it's not "truth" but simply his perceptions. Perception = reality, but only individually. Shanahan's perceptions of what happened does not make it reality for anyone except himself.

the guy with 2 super bowls, with full control of the roster (just like he had his last 10 mostly forgettable years in denver) - his hand was forced? by dan snyder? (jay has no such control, btw)

i dont think so. 

mike shanahan doesnt pick up the phone unless its understood he calls all the shots. especially working for a guy with snyders rep.

no way in hell.

Mike calling the shots, "full control in his contract" is all well and good. I'd say that only matters so much when the owner (who ultimately calls all the shots and is in full control)says he wants you to do something. Sure Mike could quit. Mike could sue for breach of contract or whatever. Maybe he'd win. But that's the choice. When the owner wants you to do something, what are you really going to do? My guess....find a way to decide that you agree with him.

This is the event I blame Shanny for the most and the ripples of which are still being felt today. There is no way RGIII should have been out there in the second half of that Seattle game. Its the coaches responsibility PERIOD to do whats right for the team and protect players. Just about every player when asked " are you OK to play" will say yes - its the coaches job to tell him when hes wrong. Shanny failed himself, the team and Robert when he failed in that duty.

Its the decision which eventually got him fired.

I think he's mostly to blame for that decision. I agree that a coach needs to draw the line and trust his eyes. However, I don't think it's outside the realm of realism that a team player would recognize that he cannot play through an injury and remove himself. Hell, Griffin removed himself from the Baltimore game just a month or so prior to that Seattle game. The situation wasn't any less critical since we all figured we needed to win every game to make the playoffs. 

Someone can check my memory, but I recall Griffin getting hurt and trying to stay in for a couple plays (completing a long pass and hopping up to the LOS) before ultimately looking to the sideline to come out. With that event fresh in his mind, is it outlandish to think that Shanahan had developed a trust of his QB and thought that the kids knew his limits? I'm still putting most of the blame on the coach, but it's a much murkier decision given all the events that led to that moment, the frailty of RGIII's ego ("Coach, I got us here, let me close this out!"), etc. 

RG3 has been a pawn in this drama, Snyder has undermined every Coach involved with the team. Is Shanahan guiltless? doubtful... he told the tales after he got his last check from Snyder. We will remain a marginal team as long as Snyder keeps a hands on approach with no accountability.

Again, that's all well and good if you can guarantee yourself you'll get another better or equivalent job when you do so.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Shanahan felt he could indeed get another job, especially if the reason he quit could be blamed on Snyder and his "meddling". His quitting after 1 season would have simply been seen as verification of how terrible an owner Snyder is, even if Snyder did absolutely nothing.

Here are the HC jobs that it appears were filled in 2011 (after Shanahan's first year)

CAR - Ron Rivera (2-14 were a horrible team, Fox wanted out)

CLE - Pat Shurmur (they're Cleveland)

DAL - Jason Garrett (Jerry Jones boy toy, would never give Shanny the control everyone believes Snyder did)

DEN - John Fox (probably not an option to go back to)

MIN - Leslie Frazier (6-10 same record as us)

OAK - Hue Jackson (yeah no dysfunction here)

SF - Jim Harbaugh (The best option by far, went to a hot coaching prospect)

TEN - Mike Munchak (6-10 same record as us)

Add in that by leaving he not only doesn't have a job himself, but also puts his son in the position of not having a job.  Being able to walk out of a job on general principle is a wonderful commodity but sometimes you suck it up and try to succeed through it.

Let's put this in another light.  Say a quarterback gets drafted and his coach tells him he wants him to run a read option offense.  The QB has the option there to quit football right?  I mean if you don't agree with what your boss tells you to do...

Let's also not forget that Shanahan was still being paid by the Broncos up through the 2011 season, so he would have been conpensated one way or another.

And I can see at least 4 of those teams wanting to hire Shanahan (and Shanahan can take Kyle with him, if Kyle wants to go that is).

I'm not saying I think he should have quit...what I was saying is that the issue wasn't about quitting because you "didn't get your way", it would have been more about the job you get not being the job you signed up for. Trust me, a lot of people do that regardless of whether or not they feel they can get another job right away.

Mike calling the shots, "full control in his contract" is all well and good. I'd say that only matters so much when the owner (who ultimately calls all the shots and is in full control)says he wants you to do something. Sure Mike could quit. Mike could sue for breach of contract or whatever. Maybe he'd win. But that's the choice. When the owner wants you to do something, what are you really going to do? My guess....find a way to decide that you agree with him.

So much this. Have you guys never had a boss before?

RG3 has been a pawn in this drama, Snyder has undermined every Coach involved with the team. Is Shanahan guiltless? doubtful... he told the tales after he got his last check from Snyder. We will remain a marginal team as long as Snyder keeps a hands on approach with no accountability.

RG3 has been way more than some naive and easily manipulated pawn. The dude is a two-face narcissist. be real. 

Sheehan just elaborated some more.  He said that Shanny told him Dan didn't meddle in personnel decisions. If so, the McNabb story he told is confusing because he alluded to Dan being excited about it.   But, his beef with Dan is the relationship he had with RG3 which to him was counterproductive and in effect underminded him.   

Reports came out years ago and no one listened that Mike preferred staying put in 2012 and drafting Tannehill vs trading up for RGIII.  Most fans to this day believe that is BS since he had "full control" of the team.  You guys need to understand that Dan Snyder pulls the bait and switch time and time again when he blows it out of proportion how much control you'll actually have.  You can do what you want, but that will get you fired quicker then listening to what he wants.

Dan Snyder = RgIII fanboy.  RgIII brings in the $$$, win lose or draw.

I think Mike Shannhan could've had success here had we not been strapped with the cap penalities and could've turned down Dan's notion of trading away everything we own for Robert.

I didn't listen to the interview or read the entire thread, but I agree with RG3 being mad that Cousins had a different offense called for him than Griffin did. 

When we drafted Griffin, I was pumped for the Shanahan play-action bootleg offense. Jake Plummer looked good in that offense, imagine what an athlete like Griffin could do when he rolls out and puts pressure on the defense. 

I thought we kind of saw that offense against New Orleans and never saw it again. I still believe that was RG3's best game as a passer in the NFL. 

I mean for gods sake, the man hightailed it out of town in 2013. You really think he has any qualms about backing out the moment his contract parameters are violated. At that point, Snyder was desperate for a legit HC after the Zorn debacle. I dont believe for one asecond that anything was forced onto him. Not one second. He couldve traded Haynesworth for a 3rd back to the Titans and kept him around as personal plaything.

Known control freak

Known liar

Bug he was just another victim of The Danny. Give me a ****ing break

If you don't believe that any of the bad decisions while he was here were forced on him,..or could have been forced on him then I don't know what team you've been watching and rooting for the past 15 years.

I never believed Shanny wanted to do the trade for RG3 -- it completely explains the Cousins pick in the 4th round.  It's pretty well documented that RG3 expects to get his way and it's exactly coachable.  So the things Shanny said with regard to that make sense too.  Sure,...Shanny's lied,..doesn't mean he's lying about this though.

Reports came out years ago and no one listened that Mike preferred staying put in 2012 and drafting Tannehill vs trading up for RGIII.  Most fans to this day believe that is BS since he had "full control" of the team.  You guys need to understand that Dan Snyder pulls the bait and switch time and time again when he blows it out of proportion how much control you'll actually have.  You can do what you want, but that will get you fired quicker then listening to what he wants.

Dan Snyder = RgIII fanboy.  RgIII brings in the $$$, win lose or draw.

I think Mike Shannhan could've had success here had we not been strapped with the cap penalities and could've turned down Dan's notion of trading away everything we own for Robert.

In Mike's interview, he never said he didn't want RG3.

That left the Redskins focused on the draft, and Shanahan talked about the internal debates over the trade that led to Griffin’s arrival.

“When we did make the decision, there was a lot of differences of opinions on what direction we should go,” he said. “But at the end of the day we decided to go with Robert, and obviously the rest is history.”

Shanahan said he “really liked” Griffin coming out of Baylor, praising his arm strength, his velocity and spin, his competitive spirit, his courage, his intelligence, his mobility, his release, his leadership, his height and his weight. But Shanahan also said Griffin’s potential weaknesses were clear.

“He wasn’t a pocket passer,” Shanahan said. “I said ‘Hey, we can do this, but we’ve got to run the style of offense that he ran at Baylor.’ I said we don’t know if he’s a pocket quarterback; he’s never done it. He never did it in high school It is gonna take some time. Now does that mean he can’t learn it? Of course it doesn’t. It just means he’s never done something.

I don't see anything there that says he didn't want him. He sounds cautious about it, but he never once said that he didn't want Griffin.

Now he does say he wasn't a fan of giving up the picks but also says this:

"But at the same time I said hey, if he’s willing — and it’s gonna take four or five years, it’s not gonna happen overnight – if he’s willing to understand that it is gonna take some time and be patient and work on the things that give him a chance to be better, I said hey, yeah, I would take the chance. But I want you to know that he’s gonna have to really commit to what we’re doing and he’s gonna have to follow the little things and do the little things the right way, both in the running game and the passing game. I said he’s got a chance to do things that nobody else has done.”

If you don't believe that any of the bad decisions while he was here were forced on him,..or could have been forced on him then I don't know what team you've been watching and rooting for the past 15 years.

I never believed Shanny wanted to do the trade for RG3 -- it completely explains the Cousins pick in the 4th round.  It's pretty well documented that RG3 expects to get his way and it's exactly coachable.  So the things Shanny said with regard to that make sense too.  Sure,...Shanny's lied,..doesn't mean he's lying about this though.

shanny said he wanted griffin. unless you think hes lying about that. 

Sheehan just elaborated some more.  He said that Shanny told him Dan didn't meddle in personnel decisions. 

well, that pretty much blows that scapegoat out of the water.

can we just admit that maybe, possibly mike isnt very good in the HC/GM role. he wasnt good in that role in denver- the place where he was revered as a 2 time super bowl winner- and it got him fired. and he wasnt so good at it here either.

unless we want to blame dan snyder for him getting fired in denver?

Wait, so Dan Snyder undermined the head coach and coddled a star player?

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

Yep! There's no way Turner was going to succeed here with Snyder favoring Deion. Huh, wrong year?

Oh, right...so there's no way that Marty had a chance once he benched Dan's favorite QB, Jeff George! What's that, wrong year?

Say no more...there is no way that Spurrier was going to win a division when he wouldn't use Stephen Davis! Shut the front door, wrong year again? 

Fine...I think Snyder sided with Gibbs, but he was probably pretty pissed when Lavar was benched! Ugh...wrong year? 

Zorn was set up for failure once Dan's buddy CP started bashing him! I'm in the wrong year aren't I? 

Shanahan should have known better than to challenge the owner's Turkey Day buddy, Griffin! 

So, will Griffin be the first player to kill two coaching tenures under Snyder?

well, that pretty much blows that scapegoat out of the water.

can we just admit that maybe, possibly mike isnt very good in the HC/GM role. he wasnt good in that role in denver- the place where he was revered as a 2 time super bowl winner- and it got him fired. and he wasnt so good at it here either.

unless we want to blame dan snyder for him getting fired in denver?

I'm gonna quote it again, if only because I expect it to be skipped over by damn near everyone lol:

Sheehan just elaborated some more. He said that Shanny told him Dan didn't meddle in personnel decisions.

I'm gonna quote it again, if only because I expect it to be skipped over by damn near everyone lol:

ive gotta find that audio clip. 

sheehan must have openly wept to have to announce that little piece of info.

seriously, whats he going to do now that mike told him dan didnt meddle? somebody better call in a suicide watch for him. i'm officially worried.

ive gotta find that audio clip. 

sheehan must have openly wept to have to announce that little piece of info.

seriously, whats he going to do now that mike told him dan didnt meddle? somebody better call in a suicide watch for him. i'm officially worried.

It was today right after the Schefter segment so around if I recall 1:20 or so.   Sheehan even elaborated on it some, saying Dan isn't in the draft room telling them who to draft, etc.  But yeah Sheehan outright says that Shanny outright told him that Dan didn't meddle in personnel. 

Archived