Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Tells All on ESPN 980 (RGIII, McNabb, Manning, Haynseworth) Link included w/ Audio

Boss_Hogg

ive gotta find that audio clip. 

sheehan must have openly wept to have to announce that little piece of info.

seriously, whats he going to do now that mike told him dan didnt meddle? somebody better call in a suicide watch for him. i'm officially worried.

Sheehan is still ok.   To him the narrative is RG3 unfairly got Shanny fired.  The story is Shanny had the right offense for RG3 and RG3 didn't get it.  If he just listened to the sage and wise Shanny, all would have been fine.  And heck the Seattle game was all about Dr. Andrews misleading him so to Sheehan, Shanny is now exonerated from blame for the injury -- he actually said more or less that on today's show.  And Dan's relationship with RG3 empowered RG3 and by extension undermined Shanny.

So that's plenty for Sheehan to hold on to.   But yeah Sheehan isn't on the Danny is involved with personnel bandwagon because Shanny told him Dan isn't involved with personnel.   On other shows, Sheehan has defended Shanny's personnel record and parrots Shanny's line that it was all about the salary cap's penalty handcuffing him.

If you don't believe that any of the bad decisions while he was here were forced on him,..or could have been forced on him then I don't know what team you've been watching and rooting for the past .

And if you dont want to believe that he had all the leverage in the world after this deal (all of it), basically hired Bruce Allen, and could have forced Snyder to fire him, once Snyder breached his contract (because, you know, he basically had football czar written into his contract), and completely miss where Shanahan said In. This. Interview That he actually was on board with Griffin (pre cap penalty) then I dont know what planet youve been living on for the last several years...

Sheehan is still ok.   To him the narrative is RG3 unfairly got Shanny fired.  .

listening to the schefter interview now. doesnt look like the spot right after that is up yet.

but, yeah. now his line is 'shanny was victimized by griffin'. *ahem*(the guy he picked himself)*ahem*

great. just when i didnt think it was possible to become more delusional.

listening to the schefter interview now. doesnt look like the spot right after that is up yet.

but, yeah. now his line is 'shanny was victimized by griffin'. *ahem*(the guy he picked himself)*ahem*

great. just when i didnt think it was possible to become more delusional.

Yeah well to Sheehan, Shanny seems to be up there with Belichick, a great coach who can do no wrong.    The guy though that Shanny laid out more than any one is Dr. Andrews, he makes him sound like a buffoon.  Wonder if he responds.

Yeah well to Sheehan, Shanny seems to be up there with Belichick, a great coach who can do no wrong.    The guy though that Shanny laid out more than any one is Dr. Andrews, he makes him sound like a buffoon.  Wonder if he responds.

i heard him talk as glowingly about shanny as ever at the beginning of the show today. i wanted to scream at my computer.

has he ever talked about denver, and why he thinks his HOF coach got canned there? i'm guessing he would say its because he was so loyal to his defensive coaches that he kept picking and they kept failing, so pat bowlen said 'if you dont fire him, i'll have to fire you' and shanny took the bullet himself.

and then he rescued a baby from a burning 20 story building on his way home.

has he ever talked about denver, and why he thinks his HOF coach got canned there? i'm guessing he would say its because he was so loyal to his defensive coaches that he kept picking and they kept failing, so pat bowlen said 'if you dont fire him, i'll have to fire you' and shanny took the bullet himself.

and then he rescued a baby from a burning 20 story building on his way home.

I've emailed him privately about Denver awhile ago.  I told him, yeah Shanny knows offense but was canned in Denver because his defenses were terrible.  And the same has happened here.  His response to me is that head coaches have niches and its perfectly normal to have a niche.  So he more or less brushed off the point.  If you notice Sheehan defends Shanny generally by making the conversation all about offense, again today he brings up how Steve Young swears by him, etc.  The thing is we didn't hire Shanny as our offensive coordinator, we hired him to run the whole team.   Norv knew offense too, didn't make him a good head coach.   

Kevin is huge on Cousins. For whatever reason....I don't know. His play last year only hurt him I think.

I can understand why people would be encouraged by Cousins. I still think he's the most likely of our 2014 bunch to be a long-term starting NFL quarterback. I'm not nearly as high on him as I was after the Eagle game (he was coming off 8 pretty awesome quarters at that point in time).

But I still think that it's much easier to work on reducing turnovers and having the game slow down for you than it is to learn how to become a pocket passer. There are just too many examples of QBs who took a season's worth of games to overcome throwing interceptions to make me throw in the towel on Cousins so soon. 

One thing that was pretty disturbing to me was a comment Kevin made on today’s show … Shanny before this season told Kevin that if the Skins try to run a conventional drop back offense with Robert without the element of the 50 Series plays, it would be disaster, Robert will take sack after sack and take a beating and … the O-line will take a ton of blame.  Kevin also said there were a few other things that Mike predicted that were dead on – didn’t elaborate. 

One thing that was pretty disturbing to me was a comment Kevin made on today’s show … Shanny before this season told Kevin that if the Skins try to run a conventional drop back offense with Robert without the element of the 50 Series plays, it would be disaster, Robert will take sack after sack and take a beating and … the O-line will take a ton of blame.  Kevin also said there were a few other things that Mike predicted that were dead on – didn’t elaborate. 

I heard that too but didn't know he was talking about Shanahan(tuned in a bit late so missed that part). Just assumed it was Cooley or Russell.

Shanahan's plan was to slowly develop RG3 into a pocket passer while utilizing read option to get him comfortable and have the team competitive. Looked like a good plan till RG3 got hurt vs. Baltimore and he had to watch Cousins go in and execute a pocket passing offense(and execute at a high level). Then RG3 got the dellusions that he could do the same, but he just can't.

I think Shanny's biggest fault was not being good enough at communicating to RG3 what his plan was. Yeah he told him, but a guy like RG3 you have to treat with kid gloves. I think when Shanny was so blunt with RG3, RG3 basically turned on him. Then the whole ship sunk.

I heard that too but didn't know he was talking about Shanahan(tuned in a bit late so missed that part). Just assumed it was Cooley or Russell.

Shanahan's plan was to slowly develop RG3 into a pocket passer while utilizing read option to get him comfortable and have the team competitive. Looked like a good plan till RG3 got hurt vs. Baltimore and he had to watch Cousins go in and execute a pocket passing offense(and execute at a high level). Then RG3 got the dellusions that he could do the same, but he just can't.

I think Shanny's biggest fault was not being good enough at communicating to RG3 what his plan was. Yeah he told him, but a guy like RG3 you have to treat with kid gloves. I think when Shanny was so blunt with RG3, RG3 basically turned on him. Then the whole ship sunk.

Yes! It was Shanny ... not sure why, but the whole story was just a bit eerie/chilling. 

It sure does sound like that was his plan and it sounded like a damn good one. I think by year three Robert would have been in a different place if he stuck with Shanny's plan. 

also, by the sounds of it, Robert started mistrusting Shanny after the Cleveland game! Something to do with the play calling that Kirk got as opposed to Robert.  Isn't that crazy? 

I agree with the kid gloves thing, it's tough dealing with people man. Some react better to a kick in the ass, others a pat on the head. 

Not disturbing or surprising at all really. Mike knew what he was building. Without deception, that o line wasn't going to hold up.  It was highly dependent on movement.  Combo that with a QB that was learning and maybe a half step slow and you have a recipe for disaster.  What the 50 series did was create enough smoke and mirrors to slow down the defense, but the offense was hugely movement dependent. Without trickery, it just didn't work.

Griffin hurt matters through a combination of being indecisive, courageous at the wrong times, and sometimes stupid, but illusions fail if you forget any step of the trick and the 50's series was all about deception.  Once the defense didn't have to guess that oline and all the qbs started facing enormous pressure.

Not disturbing or surprising at all really. Mike knew what he was building. Without deception, that o line wasn't going to hold up.  It was highly dependent on movement.  Combo that with a QB that was learning and maybe a half step slow and you have a recipe for disaster.  What the 50 series did was create enough smoke and mirrors to slow down the defense, but the offense was hugely movement dependent. Without trickery, it just didn't work.

Griffin hurt matters through a combination of being indecisive, courageous at the wrong times, and sometimes stupid, but illusions fail if you forget any step of the trick and the 50's series was all about deception.  Once the defense didn't have to guess that oline and all the qbs started facing enormous pressure.

I think this sums everything up very well.

Just a quick note on one point. The whole Griffin doesn't want to run read-option anymore.

It's not actually what Mike said, but local media and some fans are going with it anyway.

Mike said that Griffin didnt want to run those plays at first but at some point (Dallas?) came to him and said he was ready.

Weird how people are completely forgetting that Griffin did indeed run read-option in 2013, which kinda flies in the face of the narrative that Griffin won't run read-option anymore.

Just a quick note on one point. The whole Griffin doesn't want to run read-option anymore.

It's not actually what Mike said, but local media and some fans are going with it anyway.

Mike said that Griffin didnt want to run those plays at first but at some point (Dallas?) came to him and said he was ready.

Weird how people are completely forgetting that Griffin did indeed run read-option in 2013, which kinda flies in the face of the narrative that Griffin won't run read-option anymore.

Thinking hurts.

Sheehan today said he spoke to Shanny previously and after yesterday's show.   In terms of who had control, Shanny told Sheehan he indeed had final say over personnel moves but Shanny said with multiple voices in the room its difficult to just ignore them if you want to keep camaraderie or something to that effect.

Shanny's attempts to deflect all blame from himself are transparent, but....

Back in early 2010, when the team upper managament was talking about their QB situation, who was the first to say the words "Donvan McNabb"?  Shanny?  Bruce?  Dan?  I would bet a lot of money it wasn't Shanahan.

Shanahan is still partially responsible for allowing the other two to persuade him into it.

Oh, and is there anyone who still thinks Bruce is anything more than the reincarnation of Vinny Cerratto?

Did he make this predicition publicly, before the season?

What I got was Shanny wanted Griffin to run "read-option" i.e. use his legs more, while they tried to bring him along as a pocket passer.  As Shanny said, he felt Griffin was going to get killed if they tried to utilize him strictly from the pocket.  Griffin, however, appeared to not to want to do anything not related to pocket passing as he felt the progression was coming along too slowly. 

[stuff]

But again, just because you (or anyone) can imagine something as believable doesn't mean it's true. And I guarantee you that it's not "truth" but simply his perceptions. Perception = reality, but only individually. Shanahan's perceptions of what happened does not make it reality for anyone except himself.

I didn't say it's true; I said I believe he is being honest.  That's an important distinction.

Edit:  The reason I didn't address anything else you wrote is because it has become clear (through both your posts and others') that I'm wrong.

It was today right after the Schefter segment so around if I recall 1:20 or so.   Sheehan even elaborated on it some, saying Dan isn't in the draft room telling them who to draft, etc.  But yeah Sheehan outright says that Shanny outright told him that Dan didn't meddle in personnel. 

That just doesn't jive with what was said about the McNabb trade, so I guess I should probably realize now that he was not, in fact, being honest!

So, will Griffin be the first player to kill two coaching tenures under Snyder?

I belive Jason Campbell was a big part of the reason Gibbs retired, and part of the reason Williams wasn't hired to replace him.  We all know how the Zorn+Campbell experiement worked out.

If Shanny wanted RGIII but didn't want to trade away what we did, then who pushed this if Dan had no input?  Is our trust in Snyder to not do such a thing? I don't see Shanny pulling the trigger on the RGIII trade without being pushed from behind by the guy who pays his salary.  I think the majority of the fans are constantly throwing rocks at Shany bc of the poor performance from his tenure, but this lackluster team is the norm for Snyder's team.  Same owner, different coaches, different players, SAME RESULTS.  Which of these is repetitive year after year?  I think it's Snyder.

Gary Fitzgerald ‏@GaryRFitzgerald 33m33 minutes ago

About 1 month after Mike Shanahan joined #Redskins as head coach/president, he hosted all team employees in an organizational meeting.

Gary Fitzgerald ‏@GaryRFitzgerald 32m32 minutes ago

In a presentation, Mike Shanahan showcased his vision for #Redskins: football ops & business side, employee expectations & professionalism.

Gary Fitzgerald ‏@GaryRFitzgerald 31m31 minutes ago

It was a comprehensive, impressive, encouraging presentation by Mike Shanahan at #Redskins Park. He set the tone moving forward.

Gary Fitzgerald ‏@GaryRFitzgerald 31m31 minutes ago

You could see how Mike Shanahan won 2 Super Bowls. You got the impression he was fully in charge. You felt optimistic for #Redskins’ future.

Based on my experience, presentations in this type of scenario are one of two things:

1. A "Future State Executive Strategy" which defines a proposed solution, and benefits, for the current state issues and challenges. This is similar to a table of contents in a book. The outline is there, but the book still needs to be written. It is not static and can be modified, as required, moving forward. This is typically delivered "pre-engagement."

2. An Executive Summary which typically represents a highly distilled presentation based on findings from an existing document. This document is usually is based on a much larger piece of work, which denotes the key points, findings/ideas and accomplishments. This is typically "post engagement or critical milestone updates."

It is nice to hear that Shanny started off on the right foot. But I have met too many people that can put together a nice presentation and not be able to execute the plan. So what happened? Did Shanny just not have "what it takes" to execute the plan? If that was the case, than based on his extensive experience he should have surrounded himself with the best people available to compliment his staff and strengthen his weak spots.

Clearly he had some sort of vision (good or bad, I don't know, didn't see what was referenced), but it is also very clear that he lacked the intelligence to properly fill the holes around him as well as failed to adjust the plan during the execution phase. It also became very clear that his immaturity and stubbornness got the best of him. For a coach to be "leaking" to the press or some of the other pettiness which we have heard about is very immature and self centered. To me, it clearly shows he may have some level of "narcissistic personality disorder," which I have defined below (via Wiki):

Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a Cluster B personality disorder in which a person is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity, mentally unable to see the destructive damage they are causing to themselves and to others in the process.

I believe this is ultimately what caused some of his coaches, players and ownership to lose faith and trust in him, as well as maybe how things began to spin out of control. He was not a great leader of men. More like a shyster and kopykat IMO. And when he began to lose control? He began to throw people under the bus and speak ill of others to save his reputation. I have seen it too many times professionally and honestly believe this is what led to his downfall.

(And nowhere did I use the word "hyperbole!" hahahaha)  :)

Archived