Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Tells All on ESPN 980 (RGIII, McNabb, Manning, Haynseworth) Link included w/ Audio

Boss_Hogg

One thing that was pretty disturbing to me was a comment Kevin made on today’s show … Shanny before this season told Kevin that if the Skins try to run a conventional drop back offense with Robert without the element of the 50 Series plays, it would be disaster, Robert will take sack after sack and take a beating and … the O-line will take a ton of blame. Kevin also said there were a few other things that Mike predicted that were dead on – didn’t elaborate.

Half this board either could have or did predict that.

It made no sense to square peg Griffin into a west coast offense and have him sit in a less than impressive pocket.

It didn't make sense to do that when we hired Jay and it doesn't make sense to "run it back" and try again next year.

But I say that as somebody that believes Griffin can run offenses without needing the RO as a crutch but I don't think the WCO was a great fit. If Shanahan wanted to run the Baylor offense when he drafted Griffin like he said he told Dan and Bruce, he sure as hell didn't implement it.

Shanny's attempts to deflect all blame from himself are transparent, but....

Back in early 2010, when the team upper managament was talking about their QB situation, who was the first to say the words "Donvan McNabb"? Shanny? Bruce? Dan? I would bet a lot of money it wasn't Shanahan.

Shanahan is still partially responsible for allowing the other two to persuade him into it.

Oh, and is there anyone who still thinks Bruce is anything more than the reincarnation of Vinny Cerratto?

I personally don't care whose idea it was. If Mike had final say- and he's the qb guru- there's no question who takes the fall for that deal.

It's the most important position on the field, and the one at which Mike made his name.

No way hes not making that call.

So much this. Have you guys never had a boss before?

RG3 has been way more than some naive and easily manipulated pawn. The dude is a two-face narcissist. be real.

So basically I gather from everything you've posted that RGIII is the antichrist and shanahan is completely innocent. Not liking RGIII is one thing, pretending shanahan, whom you obviously admire, is some innocent bystander that would've built this team into a contender if people didn't mess with his plan is absolutely ridiculous. He bombed here because he sucked at his job, plain and simple.

Shanny's attempts to deflect all blame from himself are transparent, but....

Back in early 2010, when the team upper managament was talking about their QB situation, who was the first to say the words "Donvan McNabb"? Shanny? Bruce? Dan? I would bet a lot of money it wasn't Shanahan.

Shanahan is still partially responsible for allowing the other two to persuade him into it.

Oh, and is there anyone who still thinks Bruce is anything more than the reincarnation of Vinny Cerratto?

When has Shanny ever wanted a flat-footed pocket passer? Elway, Young, Brister, Plummer, Cutler were all QBs who could run if need be. Now why would he all of a sudden want a statue in Bulger over McNabb? It doesn't make sense considering his style of offense was so predicated to bootlegs and play action. The QB always needed to be able to stretch the pocket for Shanny-led offense.

When has Shanny ever wanted a flat-footed pocket passer? Elway, Young, Brister, Plummer, Cutler were all QBs who could run if need be. Now why would he all of a sudden want a statue in Bulger over McNabb? It doesn't make sense considering his style of offense was so predicated to bootlegs and play action. The QB always needed to be able to stretch the pocket for Shanny-led offense.

Shhh... you're making too much sense. Just lean back and enjoy Grand pa Shanny's story.

...What I got was Shanny wanted Griffin to run "read-option" i.e. use his legs more, while they tried to bring him along as a pocket passer. As Shanny said, he felt Griffin was going to get killed if they tried to utilize him strictly from the pocket. Griffin, however, appeared to not to want to do anything not related to pocket passing as he felt the progression was coming along too slowly.

I guess it doesn't matter that the above isn't actually what Mike said and for that matter it's not what actually happened on the field since we know for a fact that Griffin did indeed run read-option plays in the 2013 season.

Kyle Shanahan was reported to be the one who really wanted Bulger and definitely didn't want McNabb at the time, I believe. Which makes sense, as Kyle was used to working with guys like Schuab.    

Did he make this predicition publicly, before the season?

Yes. He said repeatedly leading up to the home opener and throughout the season - without the 50 series we will be in trouble and that Griffin needed to get on board with the 50 series because it was his best protection and he played his best in it and it made the redskins offense very hard to stop.

His biggest criticism of the Houston game, after it was over, was that it was the "wrong game plan"; ie: not enough 50 series, too much drop back. he specifically said that, i'm not adding that to his comments. he spent the rest of the season referring to it as the "House game plan" and that they would continue to lose with it if Griffin was the quarterback.

Sheehan has been hard on Griffin since the relationship between him and Shanahan went south (Sheehan is an admitted "Shanahan guy") but one thing he's held consistently positive on Griffin is how he plays in the 50 series. He's referred to it as borderline unstoppable I believe, and he's made it clear it's because of Griffin. Also saying that Griffin only had to run enough to be a threat, the threat alone was enough to make it so good.

In terms of the read option and Robert's willingness to do it, I don't think there's a simple way of looking at it.

For instance, there was a ton of talk about Robert being angry at the end of 2012 that they kept calling it. The way things went that offseason between his dad's comments, the message from his camp about "all parties involved", the contradictory pressers during preseason between he and Mike, etc... seem to corroborate that.    

Furthermore, the RO was noticeably absent the first couple games of 2013 to the point of articles being written by the media on the topic. I specifically remember Robert talking about wanting to be a "spark" for the team and getting back to it in the lead up to the week 3 game against the Lions. That could've been about "easing him in"... or it might not have. 

Certainly seems like it was a significant issue. Mike's comments on it indicate there was some undermining of authority going on for sure. Yes, he did end up going back to it and being a willing participant, but we simply don't know how much back and forth there was between all of them on it. 

You could also add Gruden's hire to the equation, in that it was all about developing Robert as a more traditional dropback passer.  

Allen has brought in mccloughan, and there are some people who think he wanted to do that last year but mccloughan wasn't ready.

He spent his one year as GM (with control) doing nothing spashy (I don't count jackson... that wasn't a 12:01 on first free agency day biggest contract in the history move.)

Allen wasn't a great GM, and he may have wiffed on Gruden (I don't think so, but many do), but Cerratto he is not.

I didn't say it's true; I said I believe he is being honest.  That's an important distinction.

Edit:  The reason I didn't address anything else you wrote is because it has become clear (through both your posts and others') that I'm wrong.

That just doesn't jive with what was said about the McNabb trade, so I guess I should probably realize now that he was not, in fact, being honest!

Cooley elaborated on the Danny interfering issue today.  He reaffirmed Dan didn't interfere with anything with the exception of 2 things, he befriended RG3 and according to Shanny it emboldened RG3.  As for McNabb they got into it a little more, supposedly the full story is, Shanny wanted Bulger and McNabb was the back up plan.  Where Dan came in is Shanny knew that Dan was excited about McNabb. When Bulger clearly wasn't going to happen, Allen was summoned to get McNabb.  Somehow Shanny thought they'd get McNabb cheap (got no clue why he'd think that, the idea that Philly wanted at least a 2nd was out there for everyone to read about) and was shocked with what Allen gave up when he learned about the specifics of the trade.  

If so, IMO it makes Shanny look shifty in his spin.  Because that's an admission he wanted McNabb.  But he blames Dan because he was excited about him and Bruce for giving up too much for him.  As Czaben said even if you buy that spin, how can you be the defacto GM and then remove yourself from conversations about compensation on a trade?   

I belive Jason Campbell was a big part of the reason Gibbs retired, and part of the reason Williams wasn't hired to replace him.  We all know how the Zorn+Campbell experiement worked out.

I hope one day people actually learn from the past and say "Tsailand and Steve, you were right. We shouldn't have stuck with mediocre QBs lacking in basic fundamentals. We wasted a decade hoping Griffin and Campbell would get it."

I think you're right, Campbell did probably have to do with Gibbs retiring. I don't think he would have left if we lucked into Rodgers. There was zero future with Campbell and I don't think Gibbs wanted to go through the trouble of trying to develop another QB.

Certainly seems like it was a significant issue. Mike's comments on it indicate there was some undermining of authority going on for sure. Yes, he did end up going back to it and being a willing participant, but we simply don't know how much back and forth there was between all of them on it. 

You could also add Gruden's hire to the equation, in that it was all about developing Robert as a more traditional dropback passer.  

Going with the Shanny expose, RG3 wanted it out, then asked to put it back in.  The wackiest thing for me about the whole debate is there is so much assumption by the media that RG3 doesn't want to run the read option.  Just about every personality covering the team talks about it as a fact.  I don't get why don't they just ask RG3 about it versus making an assumption as truth.

I recall the local media's wrap up of the Art Briles interview on First Take where Art said that the Redskins should tailor the offense to Rg3's strengths and in response we get a parade of local radio personalities including Sheehan suggesting that Briles is totally out of it because he doesn't understand that RG3 doesn't want to run that style of offense.  I am thinking, Briles who is RG3's friend and mentor and Briles admitted he just had lunch with RG3 -- is supposedly totally out of touch with what RG3 is thinking and wants to do and better yet, gets it 180 degrees wrong.    Maybe.  But it seems like a wild assumption.   I also read Rg3's comments with Philly media before the Eagles game where he praised Kelly's offense and compared it to Baylor's.

The idea that RG3 has no interest in the read option as incontrovertable fact just seems absurd to me but so many people in the media run with it.  Hey you never know they might be right but my point is just ask the dude.  It's the big elephant in the room in my view when it comes to RG3. 

If Shanny wanted RGIII but didn't want to trade away what we did, then who pushed this if Dan had no input?  Is our trust in Snyder to not do such a thing? I don't see Shanny pulling the trigger on the RGIII trade without being pushed from behind by the guy who pays his salary.  I think the majority of the fans are constantly throwing rocks at Shany bc of the poor performance from his tenure, but this lackluster team is the norm for Snyder's team.  Same owner, different coaches, different players, SAME RESULTS.  Which of these is repetitive year after year?  I think it's Snyder.

*Ahem*...

Dan Snyder and Mike Shanahan flew to the Bahamas to celebrate RGIII trade

I vividly remember the Friday night in March when news emerged that the Redskins were trading up in the draft, acquiring the pick that would become Robert Griffin III. Fans were going bonkers. The Internet was exploding in spontaneous joy. Caution was ditched. This is what I wrote at the time.

If you were awake and on the Internet Friday night, or listening to the radio, or walking down random streets in Washington, you probably realized pretty quickly that D.C. sports fans were excited about Robert Griffin III. I don’t recall such Redskins-related elation since I started my blog, and that would include the 2007 playoff run.

Well, it turns out Redskins fans weren’t the only ones celebrating. The Redskins’ brain trust was also living it up. Not just on the Internet, either.

Via Adam Schefter:

The March night when the Redskins agreed to send three first-round picks and a second-round pick to St. Louis for the right to go up to No. 2 in the draft and select Robert Griffin III, Washington’s brain trust celebrated in a style that was beyond grand. Redskins owner Daniel Snyder boarded his private plane with general manager Bruce Allen and head coach Mike Shanahan, and the men flew to the Bahamas to celebrate their franchise-altering acquisition. The men spent the weekend toasting their trade, playing golf and celebrating a deal that neither Cleveland nor Miami could get done....When word of the Redskins’ weekend trip to the Bahamas filtered back to St. Louis last winter, Rams officials kiddingly wondered out loud, “They’re celebrating? Maybe we didn’t get enough.”

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, Coach Mike Shanahan push in all their chips with Robert Griffin III

Jason Reid - Snyder’s decision to send so many picks to the St. Louis Rams to get the chance at Griffin, Redskins people say, is proof of his continued belief that Shanahan still has what it takes to fix the team. Snyder, who declined an interview request, understood that the exorbitant cost for Griffin would hamper the Redskins’ ability to improve the team through the draft. Correctly, though, Snyder realized it was way past time for the Redskins to acquire a difference-maker at the game’s most important position. Shanahan made the right call. Wisely, Snyder approved it.

Shanahan and Snyder saw an opportunity and “went for it,” inside linebacker and team leader London Fletcher, who is beginning his 15th season said. “In this league, the quarterback is so important. Guys who have Robert’s ability, Robert’s potential, just don’t come around often.”

Snyder’s support of Shanahan, Fletcher added, was not lost on the locker room. “Guys definitely understand the significance of the owner believing in your coach,” he said. “For Mr. Snyder to do what he did, you know he definitely understands what Coach [shanahan] is trying to accomplish. That’s what you want to see from your owner and your coach.

From a Sports llustrated article at the end of 2013:

"Inferring the decisions as a correction learned from last year, Shanahan is proactively sitting Griffin to allow him full participation in the 2014 offseason program.  While many speculate that this is a move to provoke a reaction from owner Daniel Snyder—who has wisely stayed above the fray—my sense is this is more personal to the quarterback rather than an affront to the owner. In fact, Shanahan said he ran the decision to bench Griffin past Snyder, and the owner said he wouldn’t stand in the way of the coach’s lineup decisions."

And last but not least, even Florio calls bull**** on the idea that Snyder "pushed" Griffin on Shanahan:

Report: Snyder was the “impetus” for Griffin trade

The latest twist in the Godfather RGIII saga comes from Mike Silver of NFL Network, who reports that owner Daniel Snyder was the “impetus” for the trade that sent three first-round picks and a second-round pick to the Rams for the ability to trade up and draft Griffin.

We say in response, “Baloney.”

Shanahan has final say over the composition of the roster.  If Shanahan didn’t want to trade for Griffin, all Shanahan had to do was say so.  While standing pat for, say, Ryan Tannehill would have placed extra pressure on Shanahan to earn an extension, Shanahan should have taken a stand if the owner were trying to impose his unqualified will on the football operation.

Even if it’s true (and we doubt that it is), Shanahan forfeited the ability to complain about the decision to give up so much to get Griffin by ultimately signing off on the trade.  If Snyder pushed the issue and Shanahan ultimately went along to get along, Shanahan opted to try to have it both ways.

If Griffin had worked out well (like he did last year), Shanahan could be regarded as a genius.  If Griffin didn’t work out (like he didn’t this year), Shanahan or someone close to him could start leaking like a racehorse the notion that Shanahan didn’t want Griffin in the first place.

By the way, Mike Shanahan is on record as saying the only real influence Snyder had on them getting RG3 is that he and Allen went to Snyder to ask his approval of the trade offer since it was so much. Snyder gave it.

Outside of his one playoff win in his last 14 seasons as a head coach, I think he's actually a great coach.

imagine if there were an organization out there so bad that Shanny's teams over the last 15 years had 7 more wins than them despite the fact that he was completely out of the league and amassed 0 wins for two years.

imagine if there were an organization out there so bad that Shanny's teams over the last 15 years had 7 more wins than them despite the fact that he was completely out of the league and amassed 0 wins for two years.

Maybe I should include the post script:"btw, I realize we suck" at the end of every post that declines to kiss mikes ass.

I dont consider the fact that we are terrible a valid reason to refrain from criticizing Mike cuz he's been less of a train wreck. (but I'll point out, again, that our organization has somehow managed to win more playoff games than said untouchable coach the past 16 years, which is a little bit funny, if only to me)

But many do, believe it or not.

Hell, i'd kill for that 5-6 playoff record that excludes Joe Gibbs' best four years.

Such is the state of our franchise.

You won't find a bigger RG3 fan than me.  It's pretty clear what happened after listening to the whole interview.  Robert had Dan Snyder (and probably others) in his ear, telling him that he needs to be a dropback QB to increase the length of his career.  I don't care who you are, everybody wants a long career.  The problem is (as Shanahan said in the interview), Robert had the backing of the owner in order to make those demands.  He said he wouldn't run certain plays, and Shanahan's hands were tied.  The only option Mike had was to bench Robert, which he eventually did.  But I don't blame Robert.  I blame Snyder, and it sounds like Shanahan does as well.

In the following story, the owner can be compared to my team leader.  The coach can be compared to my project manager.  I worked on a project where I invented something REALLY cool.  I was extremely excited about it, and we started doing a project around it.  As we worked on the project, I insisted that we keep the invention as it was.  I had the backing of my group leader, too.  Eventually, the project manager said that if we can't change things, I'll have to be moved off the project.  At that point, I realized that I had to change my approach.  I couldn't listen to the group leader anymore.  It didn't matter if my invention was the coolest thing ever, because it wouldn't get used.  I did a complete 180, and the invention ended up being much better with the extra voices.  It went to a completely new level as I trusted the project manager and other project members.  It paid huge dividends for my career.

RG3 is a smart kid.  He's probably seeing that his career will be shortened anyway if he doesn't go all in with what his coach says.  When you're sure of your capability and accomplishments, it's extremely hard to realize that you need others in order to succeed.  If he learns the lesson I learned, then the sky is the limit.

To be fair, Mike was Elway's QB coach or OC for all three of his SB loses. Elway never played in a SB without Mike Shanahan on the offensive coaching staff.

Poorly phrased. Conceded. They were a great pair.

Without Elway, not so much. In fact, almost exactly average.

(facts- not opinions- for the record, lest I be accused of slandering the almighty one)

Archived