Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Shanahan Tells All on ESPN 980 (RGIII, McNabb, Manning, Haynseworth) Link included w/ Audio

Boss_Hogg

I can understand if you want to say that Mike Shanahan has a skewed perspective or that this is his spin. Just dismissing what you don't want to hear as complete lies is pretty weak though. Guarantee there is a lot of truth in there.

I'm sure there is some truth, but I'm not buying his overall story....sorry.   He was mainly responsible for what happened the 4 years he was here.

So everything that looks bad in hindsight he was totally against. And a bunch of things that would have worked out well are things he really, really wanted to do. And, after famously insisting that football control be part of his contract, he was being overruled on football decisions from day 1, though really only on things that didn't end up working out.

Yeah, no reason to doubt any of this.

I dont believe one second of it. But as usual, those who Want To Believe, will. Its no coin idence that the interview took place on The **** Fix.

He had total control of all football ops. It was in his contract. He pedaled out McNabb, Beck, and Grossman, then decided to get Griffin, whom he left in the playoff game.

Griffin did t need to be forthright. The average numbskull fan coukd tell he was laboring, and needed to sit down. Um, thats on the coach. It will always be on the coach.

Use your brain cells

Me, watching Griffin limp around in the Seahawks playoff game: "TAKE HIM OUT OF THE GAME ALREADY!!"

Everyone on this board watching the same thing:  "TAKE HIM OUT OF THE GAME ALREADY!!"

Most sports media members claim they said while watching the game: "TAKE HIM OUT OF THE GAME ALREADY!!"

Oh, and Cousins 2 years ago:

"Kirk Cousins, the Redskins' talented backup, who relieved Griffin in the Baltimore game and again in the Seattle game, recalls eavesdropping on an intense sideline conference between Griffin and Shanahan: "Robert, you're clearly limping, you're not at full strength, do you think you need to come out? And I'm not quoting anybody, I'm just paraphrasing. And Robert's attitude was: I'm okay. I understand there's a limp, but I'm going to be okay. I brought us this far, I want to finish this thing."

Cousins adds: "I think it was tough for Coach Shanahan to tell him no. And it was tough for Robert to back down. Both of them were in a tough spot, each guy's word against the other."

Shanahan, today: Robert said it was just his knee brace being crooked.

So everything that looks bad in hindsight he was totally against. And a bunch of things that would have worked out well are things he really, really wanted to do. And, after famously insisting that football control be part of his contract, he was being overruled on football decisions from day 1, though really only on things that didn't end up working out.

Yeah, no reason to doubt any of this.

LOL...yep

I can understand if you want to say that Mike Shanahan has a skewed perspective or that this is his spin. Just dismissing what you don't want to hear as complete lies is pretty weak though. Guarantee there is a lot of truth in there.

Im sure there's some truth to it but he was given full control of the roster, it was written into his contract. If Snyder is forcing everyone to start RGIII and he's the one who wanted McNabb than why did he let Shanny bench Donovan and then deal him away? If Snyder had full control do you really think he would've gone into a season with Beck/Grossman? They all made mistakes, it happens.

Shame on the posters who are taking Bruce Allen and especially Daniel Synder's side again on this issue. If this is the 1st time we heard this story then maybe I'll say Shanahan should shut his mouth but we hear this time and time again that Dan Synder mettle's in football decisions. Since day 1 of his ownership we have heard this. I don't doubt a word of this interview.

I will not let this rotten organization fool me again. DAN SYNDER IS THE PROBLEM IS WASHINGTON DC. Mark my words that he will eventually interfere with our new GM and it will end bad as well.  Dan Synder thinks he knows football BUT he hasn't learned a thing in the 16 years he has owned this team. He makes the same mistakes over and over again. His interviews and handling of the press is equally has bad. Someone seriously should check if he is mentally capable of running a business. Maybe he had a stroke or something since he made his billions! 

On top of everything else he is a terrible human being who treats employees and people in general with no respect or class. This organization will be hard pressed to have success with him.  

Yes because Mike Shanahan is noted for his honesty. Come on, he's absolving himself of everything. He was fired from the Broncos by Bowlen whom loved him because of his horrible personell decisions.

We do know Griffin didn't want to run RO. He wants to be Aaron Rodgers. He said it himself.  Problem is he doesn't have the skill set to be that kind of QB. Maybe one day but certainly not now.  

The thing I really really like about Wilson is he knows what type of QB he is. He accepts it and doesn't try to be something he isn't. He's not crying to the coaches to call more drop back plays. That's Griffin's problem, he thinks he's something that he's obviously not. Shanahan pointed that out to him but he ( and his dad) didn't want to hear it.

So let's see....

Shanahan said some things good, some things bad, about Griffin.

My prediction?

Many of those that don't think Griffin is or can be the answer will focus on the bad, and either ignore the good or simply write it off as lip service by Shanahan.

Many of those that think Griffin can be or is the answer will focus on the good, and either ignore the bad or simply write it off as sour grapes by Shanahan.

The reality? Shanahan said a lot without saying much. None of it was massivley surprising. All of the significant things I generally take with a grain of salt given his admitted stance in terms of dealing with the public.

I mean for gods sake, the man hightailed it out of town in 2013. You really think he has any qualms about backing out the moment his contract parameters are violated. At that point, Snyder was desperate for a legit HC after the Zorn debacle. I dont believe for one asecond that anything was forced onto him. Not one second. He couldve traded Haynesworth for a 3rd back to the Titans and kept him around as personal plaything.

Known control freak

Known liar

Bug he was just another victim of The Danny. Give me a ****ing break

There is a difference between having something "forced" on you and being convinced otherwise.  I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle. 

Shanny wants to keep the picks and grab Tannehill, Front office wants to trade the picks and make a splash with Griffin. 

Front office tries hard to gain Shanahan's buy in on trading away the picks.

Shanny sees and meets with Griffin and then begins coming around to the idea of trading picks.

Shanny can now sell this that it wasn't his idea and pass the blame all the while telling somewhat the truth.

I mean for gods sake, the man hightailed it out of town in 2013. You really think he has any qualms about backing out the moment his contract parameters are violated. At that point, Snyder was desperate for a legit HC after the Zorn debacle. I dont believe for one asecond that anything was forced onto him. Not one second. He couldve traded Haynesworth for a 3rd back to the Titans and kept him around as personal plaything.

Known control freak

Known liar

Bug he was just another victim of The Danny. Give me a ****ing break

Even if he is telling the truth, 100% truth, at best, it makes him a spineless guppy. Shanahan refuses to admit he had any culpability (for the record, I haven't listened to the interview, and I probably never will. Completely uninterested in what he has to say.) 

I listened to the whole thing, as for wanting RG3, Shanny seemed pretty clear that he did want him.   He went on among other things about liking the tape from Baylor, he said he had a great arm and loved his competitiveness.    He did say that he wouldn't have made the trade though if he knew they would be saddled with the salary cap penalty.  We all am sure remember the salary cap penalty according to Shanny was the cause of most evil. 

Shanny does more or less flat out say he disagreed with the McNabb trade and put it on Danny.  It was an entertaining interview, covered a lot.  Shanny though yeah does paint himself as a victim of circumstance, he talks in a nice demeanor but regardless to me he comes across arrogant in a way -- unless I missed something, there was no, I could have done this or that better.  He basically blames the injury on RG3 and doctor Andrews.  

He had the right guy interviewing him, Kevin Sheehan would have Shanny's babies if he could.  I generally like Sheehan but I can't recall a radio personality so infatuated with a coach.   Heck I recall Adam Schefter going on to Sheehan's show and Sheehan asked him point blank, Shanny could have had a HC job if he wanted it, right?  Schefter said no, it just didn't work out for him.  Weeks later, Sheehan goes on his show about how Shanny of course could have been a head coach if he choose to take a job, this year. 

Shanny is an admitted liar....he started every answer with "to be honest with you"

Shanny is full of BS....he wants to coach again...he didn't get a job this year....he needs to make sure the mistakes that happened here were not his fault.   I hope people are not naive enough to believe what Shanny was selling.

I believe the truth is almost always somewhere in the middle.  If you believe Robert is the innocent choir boy he portrays to the public then you're just as naive as those whom you criticize.  Mike, with his clout as a two-time Super Bowl winning coach should have drawn a line in the sand with Dan and Bruce.  Whom I believe did interfere too much.  Robert needs to let his actions match his words.  A truly humble, Christian would not have to go around telling everyone how humble and good he really is.  Russell Wilson is the real deal and doesn't have to create a brand.  He's authentic. 

Bottom line is that both Mike Shanahan and Robert are reaping what they have sown. 

Am I allowed to believe that Snyder enabled Griffin, Griffin was/is not the ideal coachable QB who has a bit of an ego, the cap penalty magnified a lot of our issues, and that the Redskins are and have been a complete mess for as long as I can remember… while STILL thinking that Shanahan was an utter failure who did a piss poor job managing the roster, terrible job managing relationships within Redskins park (including with the owner and QB), and was much more of a factor in most of these things he talked about than the “innocent bystander” role he portrayed in this interview?

Or do I have to pick a side? 

Archived