Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Eagles Make Us Sad

KDawg

14 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Is it the players or the scheme? Lot of people pointing the finger at JDR. His defense is stacked with 1st rounders and over achievers like Curl. We’ve seen what the individuals are capable of. 

There’s no doubt scheme is an issue, but a DL paid for and drafted like ours should be producing game changing plays every Sunday - scheme be damned.

In fact, that’s the strategy JDR seems to deploy which is rushing 4 the majority of the time.  They just don’t seem to get home vs. top talent.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

On 10/1/2023 at 6:40 PM, KDawg said:

Offense

[...]

Our entire O-line should be graded as a dud until we crawl out of the last place in the League in sacks allowed.

As of this moment we are dead last with a terrible 24. That's a cool 6 PER GAME.

Second-worst is Chicago with 17 sacks allowed. They are 0-4 and possibly the worst team in the League. 

That's pathetic and surely deserves a "Group Dud".

Edited by El Mexican
Clarity
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, KDawg said:

:( - Cody Barton

I think I find more frustration with Barton than most. He was hand picked as an improved (or at least equal) to Holcomb.

So what was the deal with Barton? Was it just more of the same like not being able to work through tackles, late to plug the holes and more chase than take on so late even though he has some speed?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There’s no doubt scheme is an issue, but a DL paid for and drafted like ours should be producing game changing plays every Sunday - scheme be damned.

In fact, that’s the strategy JDR seems to deploy which is rushing 4 the majority of the time.  They just don’t seem to get home vs. top talent.

4 vs 5 you’re not going to win every time. maybe depth is our issue. 

2 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Nearly every damn snap we rushed four.  Finally blitzed in OT only to get torched.  JDR needs to get creative with the blitz packages.   Where is a CB blitz from the slot or a LB coming off the edge on a delay?  So vanilla that teams know exactly what to expect.

The OT blitzing did ok. Forced a quick throw away maybe 2, and of course the intentional grounding was good as a sack. The problem was JDR did the EXACT same blitz over and over, and had his DBs 8 yards off the receivers. They only needed what 15 yards for a 50 yarder. JDR had his DBs WELL off the LOS. Coupled running the same blitz, they got enough yardage to ruin our week.

Edited by RandyHolt

29 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I think I find more frustration with Barton than most. He was hand picked as an improved (or at least equal) to Holcomb.

So what was the deal with Barton? Was it just more of the same like not being able to work through tackles, late to plug the holes and more chase than take on so late even though he has some speed?

Cody Barton is a poor man’s Cole Holcomb. Just so happens that Cole Holcomb is a poor man’s Cody Barton. It’s a vicious cycle of mediocrity.

• Haha 7

30 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Cody Barton is a poor man’s Cole Holcomb. Just so happens that Cole Holcomb is a poor man’s Cody Barton. It’s a vicious cycle of mediocrity.

Except Barton is super cheap and just a stopgap while Holcomb signed for relatively big bucks.  Losing Cole was no big loss.  Bostic actually improved the run defense last year.  

• Like 1

Just look at the coaching staff's of the 49ers, Bills, Jets, Cowboys and other good defensive teams and pluck one of their leading, young creative defensive coaches. Pull the plug on JDR and move on, you did it with Turner and the results are pretty good so far. Does anyone besides RR really believe that JDR would be any kind of a loss moving forward? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

There’s actually a lot more in the clip which is really good other than the quote which was tweeted.

FWIW, Peyton Manning would be someone who you would consider to have an expert opinion.  Agree with him or not.

Unlike incompetent gas bag who goes on our radio waves and podcasts. 

I thought JDRs insensitive public tweets about ahem non football related subjects likely made him lose respect (at minimum) from most of his players. Only deleting the tweets after being called out was an embarrassment to the franchise. Instead of using the chance to move on from JDR and his endless slow starts to start seasons, RR doubled down on him. They are attached at the hip so Harris may need to ax both at the same time.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

What do I know but that Cam Kurl number looks way out of whack low.  

Don't know.  But I know Pro Football Reference which tracks stats thinks he's been really bad this season.  i got to rewatch the games to decide for myself.  i haven't had the time to do it.  PFF is typically ironically higher on Curl than the national talking heads -- and also over some personnel guys judging by the ESPN articles this season that quizzed NFL personnel guys about who are the best at various positions -- they didn't even have Curl top 20 at that spot. 

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

What do I know but that Cam Kurl number looks way out of whack low.  

He’s not having the type of season he needs to have to get paid.  That’s likely to our benefit should we opt to keep him.  He’s rarely the reason for the blown play, but he’s also not likely to make a big play.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome