Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A new new start! All things Josh Harris and new ownership group.

MartinC

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The NFL CBA, Revenue Sharing and salary cap mean every team has basically the same playing field.

Everybody seemed to ignore the fact when they were swearing Snyder had such big money problems he couldn't pay a hotdog vendor the Green Bay Packers, who have NO owner (publicly owned) managed to give Aaron Rodgers the most lucrative deal in the NFL. Gate revenue is shared, so even the fact they sell out Lambeau doesn't fully explain it.  

They do get more money from a variety of places, but the Packers are a publicly owned, small market team.  

If the Brown family wanted to spend money on players they could.  They have chosen not to.  That's a CHOICE they are making.  And unlike Snyder who did have a lot of debt, the Browns would not, since they are the original owners of the Bengals.  

Any NFL team CAN do whatever they want to do as far as player personnel goes.  It's always a choice whether they WANT to or don't.   

I'll slightly disagree here.

It's more about how you spend it, wisely or not.

And in that department, we've been spending not really wisely overpaying most of the time for subs and such.

I'm expecting that part of our FO to improve by a wide margin on here.

Yep, it was the Short One's ego that led to his downfall:

https://theathletic.com/4705414/2023/08/03/dan-snyder-commanders-washington-women-employees/

All was silent. Then came the emails.

A handful of the 650,000 emails reviewed in the Wilkinson investigation emerged, showing then-Raiders coach Jon Gruden made racist, homophobic and mysogynistic comments in messages to Washington team president Bruce Allen and others over several years. Gruden resigned on Oct. 11.

“That sparked everything,” Coburn said.

Immediately, the silence faded and dominoes began to fall, as many wondered what else was hidden in that trove of emails.

Coburn was interviewed in prime time on MSNBC and CNN and wrote an op-ed in USA Today. Congress demanded documents from Goodell.

Six former employees appeared before Congress in February 2022, including a new face. Tiffani Johnston, a former cheerleader and marketing manager, accused Snyder himself of touching her leg inappropriately and aggressively pushing her toward his limo, prompting White’s investigation.

Then came allegations of financial impropriety, spurring local and federal investigations. Any enthusiasm from D.C., Maryland and Virginia over partnering with the Commanders for a new stadium evaporated.

Everyone wondered who leaked the emails. Was it Snyder? Did he topple the first domino himself?

It seemed logical, even before Allen testified to Congress that NFL legal counsel Lisa Friel attributed the leak to the team. None of the Gruden emails were about Snyder, despite the Wilkinson investigation being centered on him. Antennas were also raised because the Wall Street Journal, which revealed the first Gruden email, had given the reclusive owner a soft landing spot for a rare interview four months earlier.

Gruden’s active lawsuit against the NFL contends that the league was responsible. A recent ESPN report pondered the leak’s source, mentioning multiple possibilities. Many pointed the finger at Snyder.

“We’ve been saying that since it happened,” Applegate said, referring to group chats and phone calls among ex-employees. “I don’t think anybody should be surprised about that in any way.”

However it came about, Applegate and others are now trying to turn the page. Their stories didn’t end when Snyder became a former NFL owner.

The Wilkinson report has never been released. Nobody has been held criminally accountable for lewd videos that were secretly made using footage from cheerleader photoshoots. Many wonder what stories of misconduct have yet to be told publicly.

That just means Jason Wright isn't in the room when they're talking about it. Why would anyone want him to be involved when his work on the last rebrand was so poorly planned and executed??

I'm sure Jason Wright will be the last person Magic Johnson informs once the new name has been selected...right before he hands him his pink slip.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Hot take BS - He said "It hasn't been a topic of conversation this week." Not "We aren't even talking about it."  From that sound bite, she could have just as easily said "New stadium not important to new owners."

:229:The Rook

Edited by The Rook
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

Until Josh has his people in place, we will

suffer the mediocrity of the Dan holdovers.  

Ron may have been the right coach for the turmoil of the final years of Dan but to move beyond that; Josh needs to blow the front office/coaching in January.

If it were me, baring a deep playoff run( nfc championship or superbowl); move on  regardless.

I see 2 potential points of contention when Ron and Josh met next January. One Josh will want to bring in his own Gm and separate the Gm from the coach. Ron has the Gm powers and brought in his team if gms.  Will Ron give that up that power and Allow his Gm team axed?

Also, Josh seems to be aggressive in how his sports teams operate. Ron is the opposite. Will those philosophies mesh? We could see that play during the season. No Josh won’t force anything on Ron but he may ask Ron, is there anything we need to do to get better and Ron will say it’s all good.

4 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Ron may have been the right coach for the turmoil of the final years of Dan but to move beyond that; Josh needs to blow the front office/coaching in January.

If it were me, baring a deep playoff run( nfc championship or superbowl); move on  regardless.

I see 2 potential points of contention when Ron and Josh met next January. One Josh will want to bring in his own Gm and separate the Gm from the coach. Ron has the Gm powers and brought in his team if gms.  Will Ron give that up that power and Allow his Gm team axed?

Also, Josh seems to be aggressive in how his sports teams operate. Ron is the opposite. Will those philosophies mesh? We could see that play during the season. No Josh won’t force anything on Ron but he may ask Ron, is there anything we need to do to get better and Ron will say it’s all good.

You could be surprised how the same people react and work in different environments.

I'm not saying that Josh will keep everybody in place, but I'm not quite sure he'll fire everybody and starts from sratch. I'm not a fan of the Martys and Ron either, but let's not forget that we've also been labeled "bad place to work" from many players and agent. This sentiment may change fast with the simple fact that Josh Harris is at the helm, which may vastly help our FO job in trying to get better quality free agent, and at a lesser price.

Will Ron give up on his GM part? It's also a possibility, because he knows he doesn't have to fear from being overruled from above during FA or draft. And it's a big point. 

Maybe some players will start to play harder and faster because they'll just care a bit more with Josh, than just cashing in until their next season...

See the difference of attendance in TC than the previous years. Josh hasn't made much change so far, if at all, and fans are already on their way back...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

You could be surprised how the same people react and work in different environments.

I'm not saying that Josh will keep everybody in place, but I'm not quite sure he'll fire everybody and starts from sratch. I'm not a fan of the Martys and Ron either, but let's not forget that we've also been labeled "bad place to work" from many players and agent. This sentiment may change fast with the simple fact that Josh Harris is at the helm, which may vastly help our FO job in trying to get better quality free agent, and at a lesser price.

Will Ron give up on his GM part? It's also a possibility, because he knows he doesn't have to fear from being overruled from above during FA or draft. And it's a big point. 

Maybe some players will start to play harder and faster because they'll just care a bit more with Josh, than just cashing in until their next season...

See the difference of attendance in TC than the previous years. Josh hasn't made much change so far, if at all, and fans are already on their way back...

Judging from Ron's level of excitement lately being able to focus on coaching, he may very well be open to being "just" the head coach. Probably more than happy to give up the GM and all the associated headaches that came with it the last few seasons. Granted there should not be the fires to put out as in the past but I would not be surprise that Ron has had his fill of juggling both the GM and HC responsibilities. But there is a lot that can happen between now and January and I doubt he will be given the option.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I may be old school, but I'd settle for Josh simply informing them in a very classy manner that he's going in a different direction.  However, in the end....whatever gets them out the door....

I agree with the rest of what you said.  Harris has made it clear in no uncertain terms that he wants the best FO and the best coaching staff.  In no universe do the current people employed in those positions here fall into that category, even taking into account the "Snyder" aspect.  This isn't the first stop for any members of the FO or coaching staff.  They've all been in the league for a long time now and demonstrated their innate inability to be "The Best".  They are NOT the worst, but the standard here HAS TO BE championships.  Harris stated this, too.  Anything less is simply not good enough.  We don't even have the best in the division, let alone the NFL.   So, it would be mindboggling for those people to be employed here after this season.

Edited by Redwards
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I doubt that Harris will fire everybody, because clearly there are efficient people who have been there for years and will be needed to keep the day-to-day activities running smoothly. The upper-level managers, however, should be sweating right now, since some of the ones remaining likely contributed to the 'sex pest' work environment.

Snyder came in back in 1999 and said he wasn't going to fire people. Then he fired people, including the secretary who had been there for 30+ years...maybe she had the audacity to actually look him in the eye and his ego couldn't allow that.

But on the plus side, Snyder did give each employee a bag of apples in lieu of a Christmas bonus! 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redwards said:

I may be old school, but I'd settle for Josh simply informing them in a very classy manner that he's going in a different direction.  However, in the end....whatever gets them out the door....

I mean we just went through this with Snyder...

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 8/4/2023 at 9:55 AM, Redwards said:

I agree with the rest of what you said.  Harris has made it clear in no uncertain terms that he wants the best FO and the best coaching staff.  In no universe do the current people employed in those positions here fall into that category, even taking into account the "Snyder" aspect.  This isn't the first stop for any members of the FO or coaching staff.  They've all been in the league for a long time now and demonstrated their innate inability to be "The Best".  They are NOT the worst, but the standard here HAS TO BE championships.  Harris stated this, too.  Anything less is simply not good enough.  We don't even have the best in the division, let alone the NFL.   So, it would be mindboggling for those people to be employed here after this season.

Agree.  I think this FO is OK but the weakest in the division.   I miss the days of Gettleman running the Giants because we could clown on them.

They Giants got Schoen, a dude we craved on the FO thread for years.  But Dan doesn't roll like that, he doesn't hire the hot names for FO, neither does Ron.   Schoen hired one of the higher ups from the Eagles under Roseman and is working on building an All Star staff including adding Cowden recently.

I read a long article about Daboll building his coaching staff which included him caring nothing about nepotism hires.  He went for the best of the best that he could find. Mostly guys he didn't know previously. 

Logan Paulsen who works for the team actually said that this team was outcoached by the Giants in the matchups last year.  And as much as he likes Bieniemy, thinks higher right now of Daboll when he did a coaching ranking.

Judging by camp hype as much as we are bemoaning this offense, looks like the Giants think they killed the off season as to upgrading their weapons.  Will see.

My point isn't to hype the Giants.  I hate that team.  But what they did feels very Josh Harris style.  Try to load up with an all star FO and all star coaching staff -- and at least in theory these guys are new school types.

Dallas has Will Clay in the FO who some say is the best evaluator in the league.  Roseman some think is the best GM in the league.

We IMO aren't going to do well in a division with top FOs unless we develop one of our own. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 3

The late start and ensuing delays in the sale process really hurt prospects for a housecleaning before the start of the season. But coming soon, we'll hopefully be rid of RR's most beloved and cherished example of position flexibility (HC/GM).

• Thumb up 1

Ron, Jason...they seem to be engaged in some Game of Thrones stuff, where they are doing their best to be the one that sticks around. Like it's clear Ron won't even engage when asked about him. Latest Jason Reid article slobbering over Eric B (leaving out pretty much every question mark) was all sourced from Jason. No mention of Ron. It's clear if Jason is part of the story, Ron wants nothing to do with it. Must be a blast in the building when they cross paths. 

The funny thing is, Harris is smart. There's no game to win here. They will both be gone sooner than later barring something undeniable, like a great run under Howell. If that happens, I think Ron uses whatever juice he has -- and even then it won't be much -- to get Jason out. 

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Ron, Jason...they seem to be engaged in some Game of Thrones stuff, where they are doing their best to be the one that sticks around. Like it's clear Ron won't even engage when asked about him. Latest Jason Reid article slobbering over Eric B (leaving out pretty much every question mark) was all sourced from Jason. No mention of Ron. It's clear if Jason is part of the story, Ron wants nothing to do with it. Must be a blast in the building when they cross paths. 

The funny thing is, Harris is smart. There's no game to win here. They will both be gone sooner than later barring something undeniable, like a great run under Howell. If that happens, I think Ron uses whatever juice he has -- and even then it won't be much -- to get Jason out. 

Agreed. Wright seemed to infer that EB has been the biggest facilitator of cultural change in the building in this process. Reading between the lines, moreso than Ron.

• Like 1

People have every right to clown Snyder for not hiring the up and coming young coach or the smartest brightest minds in the NFL but I bet during the last 5-10 years - those GMs/Coaches wouldn’t come here even if he tried his hardest to recruit them. He probably tried, and they probably wouldn’t even take the call. This place was a cancer.

Edited by dyst
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dyst said:

People have every right to clown Snyder for not hiring the up and coming young coach or the highest bright minds in the NFL but I bet during the last 5-10 years - those GMs/Coaches wouldn’t come hear even if he tried his hardest to recruit them. He probably tried, and they probably wouldn’t even take the call. This place was a cancer.

Agree.  But part of that was he wasn't willing to pay like other teams did.

Heck JLC among others covered this back when Scot was canned and they did some pretend search for the next personnel guy and discovered their guy of course was in house -- Doug Williams.  Doug of course wasn't really the defacto personnel guy.  But it was another excuse not to pay a guy.  Doug was already on the payroll.

JLC among others (Keim recently echoed it) said that this team didn't pay scouts and FO people (really anyone in that building) the same as other teams.

The thing that pisses me off when I see the straggler Dan defenders who are mostly ex-players who Dan liked to pal with -- Smoot being the most recent one say well Dan would spend whatever it takes.  That's BS.  He had a period with Cerrato mostly when he paid big for FAs.  But otherwise he was one of the cheapest-most stingy owners in the NFL.

For some reason my favorite story in that mix is Chris Russell saying until Shanny insisted it change, Dan would give the team peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as their dinner on road games.

The players as we know gave this team an F minus for how they are treated by the team on the road.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5