Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A new new start! All things Josh Harris and new ownership group.

MartinC

36 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

RR of course but who's tittle is General manager. It's Martin Mayhew.  All I'm saying is that Harris could get rid of Mayhew and hire a new GM while keeping RR. I'm not going to say that will happen but it's a possibility. 

In our structure the actual GM (person with final say) is Ron. Mayhew has the GM title but Ron had the authority that goes with that title.

If Harris wants to hire a true GM with that authority - and I am 100% in favor of that - it will require a change in Ron’s authority. The conversation about that change is likely the trigger for Ron’s departure one way or another.

Okay, dropping the "GM" from the wording. Harris is definitely going to hire people to come in and review the interworkings of this franchise. I'll assume Ron steps down as GM or whatever after the season and some of the people who will be taking over, will already be in the building.

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

In our structure the actual GM (person with final say) is Ron. Mayhew has the GM title but Ron had the authority that goes with that title.

If Harris wants to hire a true GM with that authority - and I am 100% in favor of that - it will require a change in Ron’s authority. The conversation about that change is likely the trigger for Ron’s departure one way or another.

That absolutely ends at seasons end at the latest.

I would guess Harris has a consultant who knows the league evaluate the football side throughout this season without any sort of input or interference. A Joe Banner type.

After the season you will see the usual hiring cycle where we bring in the hottest GM’s from the best talent evaluating FO’s across the league, narrow it down, and make the hire. That guy will then interview HC candidates with Harris and whoever in attendance, and pick his guy. That guy will then hire his staff.

Basically a traditional process like we haven’t had in my lifetime.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

On 8/11/2023 at 12:51 PM, MartinC said:

I think it is very very likely. It will take a very successful season to change that (playoff win?).

Totally agree. Buying an NFL team for over $6B after you've already owned/run other teams in other sports? You aren't leaving things as-is. The H.O.G. is going to make changes to create a organization in the style they want. Can't imagine keeping the current setup under any circumstances. Even with a playoff win, there would be front office changes. However Ron's contract works for that current front office control. No way they keep him even if with a playoff win, if he refused to give up that control. 

51 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Gibbs is a minority partner, correct?

Not exactly.  Harris recently bought a minority ownership share in Joe Gibbs Racing thorough a holding company called Harris Blitzer Sports Entertainment (HBSE). And Gibbs bought into HBSE as well.  So the two are business partners through other means.

But HBSE wasn’t part of the purchase of the commanders.  So Gibbs isn’t a minority owner of the football team.  

But you can bet your bottom dollar Harris is asking him for advice.  I think Gibbs is too smart to give football advice at this point.  He knows he’s been out since 2008, I don’t think he’d feel comfortable stepping out of his lane.  But he is a great judge of character and organization building.  I’m sure conversations are being had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Not exactly.  Harris recently bought a minority ownership share in Joe Gibbs Racing thorough a holding company called Harris Blitzer Sports Entertainment (HBSE). And Gibbs bought into HBSE as well.  So the two are business partners through other means.

But HBSE wasn’t part of the purchase of the commanders.  So Gibbs isn’t a minority owner of the football team.  

But you can bet your bottom dollar Harris is asking him for advice.  I think Gibbs is too smart to give football advice at this point.  He knows he’s been out since 2008, I don’t think he’d feel comfortable stepping out of his lane.  But he is a great judge of character and organization building.  I’m sure conversations are being had.

Joe Gibbs is a great judge of character? Please. Love Gibbs as much as any non-Golden Age fan in his early 30’s can, but the man is blinded by his naive belief in the facade people put up for him, at this point. Maybe he wasn’t like that in his younger years. But Gibbs was Snyder’s #1 cheerleader and ballhandler even after the bigger recent stories started breaking. I’m not going to hear that he’s a great judge of character, sorry. Many great, compassionate, generous men are blind to the faults of those around them. Gibbs is no exception. 

Great guy. Great history. Glad he’s comfortably in the fold with other returning alumni. Doesn’t need to be advising anybody. 

edit: @actorguy1you really think that’s an appropriate tweet for The Stadium? Practice some self-preservation my man 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Conn said:

Joe Gibbs is a great judge of character? Please. Love Gibbs as much as any non-Golden Age fan in his early 30’s can, but the man is blinded by his naive belief in the facade people put up for him, at this point. Maybe he wasn’t like that in his younger years. But Gibbs was Snyder’s #1 cheerleader and ballhandler even after the bigger recent stories started breaking. I’m not going to hear that he’s a great judge of character, sorry. Many great, compassionate, generous men are blind to the faults of those around them. Gibbs is no exception. 

Great guy. Great history. Glad he’s comfortably in the fold with other returning alumni. Doesn’t need to be advising anybody. 

edit: @actorguy1you really think that’s an appropriate tweet for The Stadium? Practice some self-preservation my man 

Agreed, Gibbs was a great COACH, but not a great judge of character. Gibb's endorsement of Snyder as a "swell guy" for all those years helped to delay the eventual scrutiny into Snyder's nefarious activities, which should have started long before 2020.

It's troubling that Gibbs could not (or would not) see that Snyder was a jock-sniffer who treated Gibbs and legend players far different from how he treated "the common folk." There were certainly ample opportunities for Gibbs to witness how poorly Snyder treated others and just turned the other cheek.

Now did I expect Gibbs to run up to a mic in 2007 shortly after retiring and rip Snyder a new bunghole before heading back to North Carolina in his NASCAR racer? No, and I'm sure Snyder paying for Gibbs' future travels up to DC had something to do with that...which I understand if not condone.

But it shouldn't have taken 13 years after Gibbs' retirement before the pressure started to build on Snyder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

No advice from Joe. Just keep him to alumni stuff and when you leaning towards a candidate, when Ron is replaced; you can ask Joe to sell working here to that candidate.

1 hour ago, Conn said:

Agree. And even though this mini-convo got started by an innocent question from Koolblue, I guess what bothers me is the pains some who cover this team go through to tie Gibbs to major decisions made, such as the Rivera hiring and immediately tweeting a statement from Gibbs when Harris took over. I'm over it.

• Like 2

@actorguy1

I deleted your post, no prob, I get how it may seem post-able in here, but no.

We're done with Dan Snyder here.

People can follow their choice of news sources for ongoing or future Dan Snyder events. 

To all: See amended sticky thread at top of forum. 🙂👍

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2