Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

Congrats to Bieniemy, who now has a chance - an unnecessary step - to prove himself away from KC. He nailed the interview just as he's hit his HC interviews outta the park. Hapoy for him and hope he brings some magic to this team. We have weapons, but never had an OC who knew how to utilize them.

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bruce sheparded the Kendall Reyes era of FA, he played it beautifully, loaded up the roster with mostly useless cheap junk.  Yet was chesty about the team.  Earned the reputation of being the least trustworthy GM in the NFL, voted #1 most untrustworthy GM by agents.   He killed it with the cap-FA.  All of it. Brilliant managenment of the roster.   Again if it weren't for Bruce's contributions to this team's demise, Dan wouldn't be selling.  So as far as i am concerned he's a hero.

I’ll continue to stay in lane of Bruce helped change previous culture of over spending on free agents. That’s it. 

Im happy to let you continue to vent about Bruce though lol I’m with you, he wasn’t very good at his job and provided below average on field returns. 

That was a blog.  Jay stated what the trade was.  Mike Jones said he talked to Kyle directly about it in real time -- both stories matched.   Not good enough?  Some blog has it nailed versus both parties who were actually negotiating the actual deal?  But I'll play it your way, the #2 pick in the draft even in an exchange would have been tremendous, that only ended up being Nick Bosa. But that's Bruce for you, he sucks at trades.  He's only the best defensive player in the NFL.  But lets again applaud Bruce for a job well done. :ols:

I’ll grant you it sounds like Shanny was willing to give up a 1st round pick, but Lynch and rest of FO was not. 

I guess this makes your claim, right? Kind of like Snyder was willing to give up two firsts for Ocho Cinco. 

Did I say players wouldn't sign here?  I explained this point a bunch of times to you.  I'll do it one more time, after that I give up.

ANY team can get the typical player if they overpay.   Some teams have to overpay to get that player.  This is one of those teams.  But you can't build a roster well by overpaying everyone.  You above all people should appreciate the point considering how everything on the QB thread just about is driven by the cap with you.

All teams have to overpay in free agency. No discounts are given in the open market.

The bad teams with tremendous amounts of cap are often the ones driving up the price for the free agent. 

I can go to McDonalds and offer $10 and get a Big Mac worth $5.  I flat out said that a ton of times. 

Are you under the impression the same analogy doesn’t apply to a stronger organization in the feee agent market? The best organization is going to have to pay $10 to get a Big Mac worth $5 if they want that free agent. That’s how the free agent market works. Not long ago free agency was looked down upon by the better run organizations due to the cost being outrageous. 

The market can careless about the owner or the past 30 years. That’s for us fans to quibble and nerd out on. 

The idea that Dan is selling or might be selling I hope would be a selling point.  That's the underpinning of our offseason thus far.  You act like i am some weird guy on an island with the point that Dan is a detriment to lure players and coaches with OPTIONS.  But its borderline boring conventional wisdom -- I am stating the obvious that many observers have said.  The fact that I even have to debate the point is odd.  I am stating the obvious.  Water is wet.  

I know this is conventional thinking for most part, but I can’t overlook the amount of evidence to the contrary. 

I’ll pause here for a bit. Good times as always. Hyped for EB and QB on a rookie contract. 

5 hours ago, wit33 said:

I’ll continue to stay in lane of Bruce helped change previous culture of over spending on free agents. That’s it. 

Im happy to let you continue to vent about Bruce though lol I’m with you, he wasn’t very good at his job and provided below average on field returns. 

What he changed with the cap was Vinny would Eagles, Rams, Saints style at times stagger contracts to punt cap into the future.  Bruce mostly stopped that.  The irony about that is some are now pissy that they don't go back to some of that future is now approach to load up this roster more especially with the cap rising a lot every year.

Some suspect that move was out of necessity because Dan wasn't willing or able to deal with the escalating contracts which continued to rise over time (putting money into escrow) which he was more easily able to do in his younger days.  Failing radio stations and businesses might have contributed to this, along with the inflation of contracts.   But no way to know.  But some suspect especially recently that Dan had to change. 

Vinny has a better record than Bruce.  Vinny-Dan would overspend on more of the sexy names.  It failed but the car crash was a little more interesting to follow.  Bruce would go bargain basement shopping and the car crash which was a little worse than the previous one was also boring.  IMO and some others Bruce's approach was the nail on the coffin for the floodgates as to fans leaving.  Bruce was saved by the dude he didn't like, Kirk, from having an even bigger discrepancy between his record and Vinny ironically.  

5 hours ago, wit33 said:

I’ll grant you it sounds like Shanny was willing to give up a 1st round pick, but Lynch and rest of FO was not. 

I guess this makes your claim, right? Kind of like Snyder was willing to give up two firsts for Ocho Cinco. 

Mike Jones mentioned what was offered.  Jay mentioned what was offered.  If I am bidding on Ebay, I and the seller know what was offered.  We know.  Everyone else can speculate.  That was an article from SB Nation you gave, not a direct quote from John Lynch, unless am missing something?  But yeah even if I pretended that was the gospel, SB Nation, not Kyle or Jay, the 2nd pick in that draft in an exchange would have been tremendous.  But I am tired of debating it.  You can have the last word.  At a minimum even going with the version you'd like to believe about this, it refutes the point you made over and over again that Bruce nailed it with the third round comp pick for Kirtk. 

5 hours ago, wit33 said:

All teams have to overpay in free agency. No discounts are given in the open market.

It doesnt matter how many times I gather for me to explain the nuance about overpaying versus grossly overpaying and what happens which often does when mutiple bids are close. 

My argument has been this is the place where players and coaches with options don't want to go to everything being equal or close enough and plenty of times the bidding is close enough where these players and coaches can make a decision that weighs more variables than just money.

Yes some players aren't part of much a bidding war so its much easier. It's not a binary argument. But nuance is lost here and big time so.  So I give up. 

5 hours ago, wit33 said:

The market can careless about the owner or the past 30 years. That’s for us fans to quibble and nerd out on. 

If there were only a zillion people who talked about this. Ex-players.  Agents.  National reporters, local reporters.  Heck even someone who works in that building.  It's just us nerds spitballing on this with no one backing the point. :ols:  

I don't mean this sarcastically but I gatther you don't read much or listen much about football.  And hence maybe that's the discrepancy here?  Because I am not beating on an obscure point with no one saying the same thing.  The point has been beaten to death by just about any source you can imagine.

I've had many debates here over the years.  But this shouldn't be a debate.  I don't think there is a single soul here who agrees with you that this is one of the top destination spots that players and coaches covet and nobody cares about the decaying stadium, facilities, sleaze, etc.

Yes people will sign here.  They will sign everywhere.  But if you took a survey and asked players where they'd want to go, this team would be at the bottom or close to it.   And yes below teams with worse records than us. 

5 hours ago, wit33 said:

I’ll pause here for a bit. Good times as always. Hyped for EB and QB on a rookie contract. 

EB is a good hire, I think, will see.

The rookie contract is great but he has to play well.  This fanbase IMO will keep weakening if they stay mediocre to worse.   Dan selling should bring some fans back.  I am more optimisitc about the roster than most.

To expland on my point about why I think Bieinemy might attract players.

A.   Players who are FAs and played for him -- if the Chiefs reporter is right and most players loved him why not go play for a coach like that?

B.  The backdrop of this hire is a bit wild and wide reaching.  He's a national story.    I think that might add to the intrigue of playing for him and helping him succeed.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

The move is significant for both sides.

In Washington, Bieniemy will have full control of an offense and the play-calling for the first time and will get the added title of assistant head coach, a promotion from his previous role. In Kansas City, he was in many respects the conduit between Andy Reid and quarterback Patrick Mahomes — an integral part of game-day operations and game-planning but not the sole play caller in games.

Bieniemy’s arrival in Washington also could lead to a broad change in scheme. Under Turner for the past three seasons, the Commanders’ offense incorporated concepts of multiple systems but was rooted in the Air Coryell scheme, which is intended to stretch the field vertically with deep passing and a power running game.

Bieniemy, like many candidates the Commanders interviewed, comes from the West Coast system, having spent a decade alongside Reid. Reid’s play-calling is renowned for its innovation and a marriage of college and pro concepts, yet it is founded on basic ideologies. Among them: use the passing game, typically off shorter routes, to gain a lead and use the running game to wear out an opponent late.

“I’m looking for that quick passing game,” Rivera said in Phoenix last week. “… We want to get into the fourth quarter where you’ve got a 10-point lead or a nine-point lead and there’s 10 minutes left to go, and then you get the ball and you grind it down, you wear that clock out.”

The offensive staff may undergo further change, too.

After the Commanders’ 8-8-1 season, Rivera fired Turner, and defensive backs coach Chris Harris left to be the defensive passing game coordinator and defensive backs coach for the Tennessee Titans. The rest of Washington’s staff remained intact, but Bieniemy’s recent meetings with the assistant coaches could be an indication he plans to make alterations and perhaps bring in some coaches with whom he has more familiarity.

The longer term holds even more uncertainty in Washington. The team is still searching for an answer at quarterback after cycling through eight starters over the past three years. Sam Howell, a fifth-round pick in 2022, enters the offseason as the projected starter, in part because he is the only quarterback known to be returning; the team probably will cut Carson Wentz, and Taylor Heinicke could land elsewhere in free agency.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/02/17/eric-bieniemy-commanders-chiefs/

• Like 1

I know this has been said ad nauseum but it's still gnawing at me because I don't think I've heard a satisfying answer yet as to why.

Why didn't Reid let him call plays?

You could say it's because Reid has always called the plays but that's not true, Pederson called the plays when he was the coordinator so why did Reid trust Pederson and not Bienemy?

I'm definitely in the camp that says we got nothing to lose with this hire and I think it's very low risk and extremely high reward but that's still my one hang up, why does Reids words say he trusts him but his actions say otherwise.

9 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Why didn't Reid let him call plays?

You could say it's because Reid has always called the plays but that's not true, Pederson called the plays when he was the coordinator so why did Reid trust Pederson and not Bienemy?

Reid only turned over duties to Penderson b/c he himself was struggling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Pederson

Following a 1–5 start in 2015, Andy Reid gave Pederson play calling duties, the Chiefs proceeded to win their last 10 games, which made Pederson a head coaching candidate for 2016.[58]

• Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

18 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

He has been passed over for head coaching jobs and we don't know why. He was not hired here to be the head coach.  

So this was the only OC job he interviewed for? I'm pretty sure there were several OC jobs that were filled before he was hired here.

I am amused watching y’all not stop at unfounded rumors about why he doesn’t have what it takes to be a HC, but plow right into how suspicious it is that no one else interviewed him for OC.….the job he clearly is trying to move on from, already had for multiple years and was so extremely successful at. 

Like there is some sort of…..mysterious reasoning behind it. Something we don’t know that all the teams in the league know and something KC has kept hidden long enough to get 2 Championships out of. 

LOL. Y’all are silly as **** sometimes. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

13 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

EB’s hire might not change anything at qb but if we get new owner by 3/26 that might change. The new owner may want us to get a qb and not just rely on Howell.

Why are you so against seeing what Howell can do?