Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

On 1/29/2023 at 9:22 AM, skinzplay said:

All this Bieniemy bashing/skepticism that floats around is really something. I don't know if dude would be a great HC, but during the time he's been considered or linked to HC gigs, teams have made some non-sensical hires: Nagy (definitely didn't call plays in KC), Joe Judge, Rhule in Carolina, Kingsbury in AZ ( losing record in college, no record in the NFL), Zac Taylor was the damn QB coach for the Rams when he was hired by Cincy, Adam Gase was hired in Miami when everyone knew the deal about that offense in Denver. He stunk up the joint in Miami (losing record) yet was STILL hired by the Jets. I could go on. This bull**** about needing to be an OC/DC in this league first seems to be selectively applied. And Allbright is no insider. He simply texts Woody Paige (awesome man) and parrots what ol' Woody tells him. Woody is connected like a mafia don.

Bingo

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Because I think as long as Snyder is at the helm Sean Payton could be our OC and we'd get it wrong. 

Payton did not rule out any team and seemed interested in fielding other calls.

However, he did drop a clue about an element necessary for him to make a decision.

"When we went to New Orleans, and I say we because there were a lot of people involved. The quarterback was unsettled at that time. So I think ownership and the functionality of the front office is most important."

https://www.si.com/nfl/saints/news/sean-payton-ownership-and-functionality

11 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

No one is hiring Payton this cycle. For those teams that don’t have a qb; keeping the first round pick is better.

Maybe in 24, a team can burn a first round pick and whatever on Sean.

The cost to New Orleans and then the contract and control he wants. **** that. We did it with Shanny (even though he likes to pretend he didn't have authority here), and then Ron. Never again. Give me a coach who focuses on coaching. 

18 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Moore might be worse than Turner

Moore has had top 10 offenses like four times. Actually, I think his offense ranked fourth overall in four seasons, which is pretty damn impressive. And yes, I know he gets cute and does some dumb stuff, but let's not compare him to Turner. 

Also, Brian Schottenheimer replacing Moore is hilarious. 

Eric B is probably boom or bust. Apparently was a disaster as an OC in college. And I can't imagine he's going to bring in some top flight position coaches -- who would come knowing it's a one year deal probably? Maybe he comes in and Zampese and other guys stay on?

Edited by Hooper

8 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I've already resigned to Zampese.  Still waiting for Snyder to GTFO before hoping for anything else.

I think its a pretty good chance that we're the least favorable OC destination because of our ownership situation, and because of that we're gonna have to wait for all the other OC jobs to be filled first before we pick from who is left.

I'm still holding out hope for Shurmur.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

At a minimum I get the impression that Dan pressured them to make that deal and fast once he was made available and under consideration.   I get the vibe it was a combination of people interested but Dan was likely the one anxious to pull the trigger. 

Also, Ron has to pay a premium for any player.   I criticized the deal at the time because of compensation.  I was ok with the risk of a boom-bust veteran.  So I was cool with the thought of Wentz as to rolling the dice. 

Doofus Dan is why it cost those picks. Most other teams would have waited for him to be released. Like they did with QB's like Mayfield, who actually has won a playoff game. 

4 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I think Cooley vanishing from everything but a spot on Sheehan's show, and leaving town at the same time the Larry Michael/Cheerleader Video stuff came out, isn't a coincidence. 

Didn't he leave after he got rejected for a spot on Rivera's coaching staff? There seems to be some scar tissue around his relationship with Snyder

1 hour ago, method man said:

Didn't he leave after he got rejected for a spot on Rivera's coaching staff? There seems to be some scar tissue around his relationship with Snyder

Memories probably faulty, but I think this was more related to Rivera cleaning internal house to fix the workplace culture. It was vague, and unclear if Cooley was a problem himself, or that he was just too friendly with all the problem actors. The latter was the impression I got. I don't believe anything untoward ever came out about Cooley himself, so it might have just been a thing where he was fine looking the other way when he knew about harassment.

Interesting take from a Rams player. There's a good case for this guy, Assist. HC under McVay and both fans and players like him. If he comes in and does really well his first year, he might even be the next HC here.

He makes too much sense though which is why he won't get hired. I still think it's going to end up being Zampese or *maybe* Shurmur and for just one year.

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/washington-commanders-offensive-coordinator-thomas-brown-los-angeles-rams-malcolm

>>Rams Say Commanders Would ‘Love' Coach Thomas Brown in Washington

One of the candidates interviewed for the Washington Commanders' vacant offensive coordinator job - Thomas Brown - is a guy one Los Angeles Rams player says would be a great fit for the team.

The Washington Commanders have interviewed several candidates for their open offensive coordinator job, a list that includes Los Angeles Rams assistant head coach/tight ends coach Thomas Brown.

One of the current Rams running backs, Malcolm Brown, recently spoke to WUSA9's Darren Haynes, and had high praise for coach Brown. 

"Besides him being top-notch when it comes to the game, he's a solid guy in general," Malcolm said. "I know players will love him and wanna play for him! Genuine and no BS about him ... TB is legit (for real)! Smart as hell and can simplify the game and that's what it's about!"

Coach Brown has a “talent for simplifying the game”? That could come in handy, especially give the idea that Washington is pitching second-year quarterback Sam Howell as the projected starter in 2023.

This would mean Brown's offense would need effectively employ a full arsenal of weapons, but also be simple enough to teach to a quarterback with just one career start under his belt. .. And do it with no working knowledge of each other prior to Brown's hiring. 

That's no small feat.

But if Brown is truly capable of teaching his offense to Howell, and keeping it simple yet effective, then perhaps this duo would be able to break some of those tendencies we've seen in league years past. 

Of course, that's if the Commanders bring Brown onto the staff. 

Thus far, he's certainly developed a backing in the fan base but is still competing with other more experienced coaches like Washington quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese and Atlanta Falcons quarterbacks coach Charles London.<<

Edited by SonnySideUp
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

23 hours ago, samy316 said:

Rivera is DEFINITELY part of the problem at the very least.  No one told him to make that absolutely asinine move to give up trade capital to get a QB that was a laughing stock, when said QB would've likely been cut and could've been acquired at NO cost.  No one told him to nuke our offensive line, by not negotiating in good faith with our Pro Bowl tackle, and letting him walk out the door with no clear replacement.  No one told him to let our other quality lineman exit out the door, and replace them with scrub replacements from Carolina.  Most of all, no one told him to replace the backup QB with the season on the line, and a home game against the Browns with the awful QB responsible for putting them in a 1-4 hole before getting hurt, costing this team the playoffs.  He did all of that on his own volition.  Dan Snyder clearly checked out at some point between last offseason and the beginning of this season.  Ron has had plenty of wiggle room and power behind the scenes to make these non-sensical, idiotic moves with little to no pushback.

Rivera is a mediocre at best coach, and an even worse FO executive.  I can't wait for the new owner to get rid of Rivera after next season.  With any luck, the new owner will be brought in early enough for us to fire Rivera in March for Sean Payton.  One can only hope.

Almost all of what you said, which may or may not be true, is about Rivera as a GM. Not Rivera as a coach. Maybe you can't have one without the other, but other than picking between two bad QBs, all the other stuff is GM level maneuvers. 

7 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Almost all of what you said, which may or may not be true, is about Rivera as a GM. Not Rivera as a coach. Maybe you can't have one without the other, but other than picking between two bad QBs, all the other stuff is GM level maneuvers. 

Ron’s last winning season was 2017.

18,19,20,21- losing seasons with a playoff appearance in 20.

22- .500 season

Ron’s mediocre at best as a coach. His rep is inflated by the 15-1 season in which they got spanked in the SuperBowl.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Ron’s last winning season was 2017.

18,19,20,21- losing seasons with a playoff appearance in 20.

22- .500 season

Ron’s mediocre at best as a coach. His rep is inflated by the 15-1 season in which they got spanked in the SuperBowl.

All of his seasons here he had to contend with Snyder.

Jerry Richardson in Carolina.

I’m not contending he’s the greatest coach of all time, or even a top notch one. I have my fair share of issues with his decision making. 

But stats without context are just numbers.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m not contending he’s the greatest coach of all time, or even a top notch one. I have my fair share of issues with his decision making. 

Good line, Stats without Context are just numbers.  Thats how I feal about PFF numbers most of the time, just numbers without context. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I accept this but there are also coaches who had to deal with crazy Al Davis (in his later years) and other owners who suck. Ron is a good guy but he's getting paid nicely and I can't say what went down in his conversations with Dan but if he didn't stand up to Dan and say no when he disagreed (daring Dan to fire him like Marty did), then he gets no violin from me. He is a coach but not a gamechanger. One of the hardest jobs in the world is to convince a person that they're wrong about something they believe. In sports its easy because it can play out (as it does many times in life) but if he can't convince Dan or whoever else before, then he's not the guy. Nobody may be the guy, but we're seeing that Ron isn't the guy to work with Dan. 

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

I accept this but there are also coaches who had to deal with crazy Al Davis (in his later years) and other owners who suck. Ron is a good guy but he's getting paid nicely and I can't say what went down in his conversations with Dan but if he didn't stand up to Dan and say no when he disagreed (daring Dan to fire him like Marty did), then he gets no violin from me. He is a coach but not a gamechanger. One of the hardest jobs in the world is to convince a person that they're wrong about something they believe. In sports its easy because it can play out (as it does many times in life) but if he can't convince Dan or whoever else before, then he's not the guy. Nobody may be the guy, but we're seeing that Ron isn't the guy to work with Dan. 

No one argued any of this.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, method man said:

I think it was before that. Also, he tried a little HS coaching around here and I seem to remember he wasn't into the responsibilities that came with it from what he said on his old radio show. I mean, he was fooling around with a few cheerleaders at one point. Married one too. Was part of that boys club with Larry when he did the games on the radio. 

On 1/29/2023 at 9:22 AM, skinzplay said:

All this Bieniemy bashing/skepticism that floats around is really something. I don't know if dude would be a great HC, but during the time he's been considered or linked to HC gigs, teams have made some non-sensical hires: Nagy (definitely didn't call plays in KC), Joe Judge, Rhule in Carolina, Kingsbury in AZ ( losing record in college, no record in the NFL), Zac Taylor was the damn QB coach for the Rams when he was hired by Cincy, Adam Gase was hired in Miami when everyone knew the deal about that offense in Denver. He stunk up the joint in Miami (losing record) yet was STILL hired by the Jets. I could go on. This bull**** about needing to be an OC/DC in this league first seems to be selectively applied. And Allbright is no insider. He simply texts Woody Paige (awesome man) and parrots what ol' Woody tells him. Woody is connected like a mafia don.

I agree with everything you said.  The calling plays stuff is a trash argument.  You laid out examples, but there's a ton more.  Not calling plays in LA didnt prevent Kevin O'Connell from getting a HC job.  And I know his pedestrian season calling plays here wasnt what sold people.  Bienemy has to scratch and claw just for an OC job.  It's kinda crazy

But just a point of clarification,  Nagy did call plays his last year in KC.  That's what got him the Bears job.  Reid took playcalling back and has had it ever since.  Now why Reid kinda refuses to formally hand over the reins to Bienemy on that is anybody’s guess.

• Like 2