Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

1 hour ago, Wyvern said:

I'm not a big fan for Washington choosing Bienemy for OC, even though his reputed"Singletary" tactics on the new members of the Offense mjght actually raise their intensity level.  But from a technical standpoint, it's not clear how much of a role Bienemy had in play-design, and Reid was the guy calling the plays.  

Moreover it's not clear how well his offensive play philosophy would mesh with whatever Washington has in mind for their team's offensive identity in 2023.  (I don't see Bienemy's play philosophy as being all that "run first" -- especially in comparison to the other coaches Washington has interviewed.  Moreover, I wonder how well he'd fit in with the existing coaching staff -- I got the sense he's got a bit of the "my way or the highway" mindset.  Too much candor can create friction -- especially during a losing streak.

If the Washington FO is really serious about a "run first" team identity for 2023 ... they are better off gambling on Studesville than Bienemy.  Studesville routinely develops decent running offenses, has a great experience history,  been an associate OC, and interim HC, has worked with a lot of good OCs/HCs, and likely an easier hire contract-wise than Bienemy. While a decent running game coordinator -- Studesville also  seems sufficiently open-minded about diversifying the offense, even while honoring the "run-first" mindset that the Washington FO is claiming they want to be.  I also think Shurmer and/or Zampese would be a good fits for a conservative, but not too conservative offense.

I'm not certain about Lynn -- he might be too conservative for my tastes.

Why are we assuming we're looking for a "run first" offensive identity? IMO the main reason we became a "ground and pound" team over the last two seasons was due to lack of talent at the QB position, not because that was the overarching offensive philosophy going into it.

• Like 1

I'd be cool w/ Lynn.

If he picked up some stuff under Kyle he could be something. I think he is better than a lot of the other candidates we are looking at. The 49ers had a creative run-O that can be somewhat brought over with our current skill players like Gibby, McK and Samuel.

Have not been paying full attention from other teams, but is Lynn getting a lot of interviews for other teams? We are the only option I remember being linked to him, so we may not need to fight off multiple orgs to get him either.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Why are we assuming we're looking for a "run first" offensive identity? IMO the main reason we became a "ground and pound" team over the last two seasons was due to lack of talent at the QB position, not because that was the overarching offensive philosophy going into it.

I was basing that assumption on that last interview given by Rivera & Mayhew.  Frankly, I agree with you and am hoping for a more balanced offense -- especially with the capable talent Washington has assembled with the receiving corps.   I'm doubtful that a 2-to-1 ratio of run-to-pass (as stated in the Rivera-Mayhew interview) would be a successful approach in today's NFL.  So I'm hoping those two aren't sticking to their words, and will consider how to have a more balanced approach to their team's offensive mindset.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Ron and Martin Mayhew stated they wanted to be a "run first offense" regardless of the QB.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

I was basing that assumption on that last interview given by Rivera & Mayhew.  Frankly, I agree with you and am hoping for a more balanced offense -- especially with the capable talent Washington has assembled with the receiving corps.   I'm doubtful that a 2-to-1 ratio of run-to-pass (as stated in the Rivera-Mayhew interview) would be a successful approach in today's NFL.  So I'm hoping those two aren't sticking to their words, and will consider how to have a more balanced approach to their team's offensive mindset.

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Ron and Martin Mayhew stated they wanted to be a "run first offense" regardless of the QB.

Thanks, I probably missed that interview or press conference tidbit.

I really hope they don't do that just for the sake of doing it. It's a passing league now, and Ron seems to have acknowledged that in the past. We don't necessarily want or need to be overwhelmingly pass first, but the league average is around 58% at this point.

Only a few teams are at 50% or lower, and those are heavily skewed because they have QBs who run a lot (Philly, Baltimore, Chicago).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mistertim said:

Thanks, I probably missed that interview or press conference tidbit.

I really hope they don't do that just for the sake of doing it. It's a passing league now, and Ron seems to have acknowledged that in the past. We don't necessarily want or need to be overwhelmingly pass first, but the league average is around 58% at this point.

Only a few teams are at 50% or lower, and those are heavily skewed because they have QBs who run a lot (Philly, Baltimore, Chicago).

Listening to people who cover this team they don't buy that's what they truly think but they do think its what they think if the QB is subpar.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to people who cover this team they don't buy that's what they truly think but they do think its what they think if the QB is subpar.

Yep, i remember Keim laughing it off and asking if maybe RR expected the players to wear leather helmets. It cracked me up.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Yep, i remember Keim laughing it off and asking if maybe RR expected the players to wear leather helmets. It cracked me up.

Finlay in particular says its BS and that's not what they believe.

Having said that, if the belief is we don't have faith in our QB hence we are about running the ball -- I guess they can't really say it like that publicly

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He will go to Baltimore.

Why? Does Baltimore have a legit QB who is also a really good passer? I know it is too early to say well we have Howell but I would imagine an OC would rather want that to mold a rookie into his own play calling style -whatever that is though since he really didn't call plays in KC. 

14 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Why? Does Baltimore have a legit QB who is also a really good passer?

Kind of what I was thinking. Their ownership and management are obviously more stable and competent (I mean... duh... especially for the time being), but Lamar has to be the most overrated and over-appreciated QB in the league, especially from the pocket. Any playcaller already knows what he can do. 

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He will go to Baltimore.

Baltimore seems like a pretty sus situation, though. Lamar is up in the air and unlikely to be back unless they tag him. Will a new OC come to a team with that situation? Granted, our situation isn't a ton better, but at least we have a young guy who showed flashes and who it sounds like we're committed to getting a shot.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Why? Does Baltimore have a legit QB who is also a really good passer? I know it is too early to say well we have Howell but I would imagine an OC would rather want that to mold a rookie into his own play calling style -whatever that is though since he really didn't call plays in KC. 

3 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Kind of what I was thinking. Their ownership and management are obviously more stable and competent (I mean... duh... especially for the time being), but Lamar has to be the most overrated and over-appreciated QB in the league, especially from the pocket. Any playcaller already knows what he can do. 

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Baltimore seems like a pretty sus situation, though. Lamar is up in the air and unlikely to be back unless they tag him. Will a new OC come to a team with that situation? Granted, our situation isn't a ton better, but at least we have a young guy who showed flashes and who it sounds like we're committed to getting a shot.

Because we’re the Washington RedCommTeam and Snyder is still our owner. I know we like to pretend he’s gone, but he’s not yet.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Everything being equal, makes sense Baltimore but how do we know Baltimore chooses him just because they interview him.

Yes. This is always implied. If there isn’t an offer he couldn’t go there.

27 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Why? Does Baltimore have a legit QB who is also a really good passer?

They have a pro bowl QB on the roster and likely a former NFL MVP QB too. Embarrassment of riches, OCs would be foolish not to sign up!

/end sarcasm

Balt w/ Lamar is almost as turn-key guaranteed to be good O (barring injury) as KC is. If he does not get a HC job this cycle and KC wont bring him back, Balt would be an excellent location to pump his status. 

Our O is not turn-key. We would require more players and significant work.

If Bienemy is such a good OC, why is KC messing with their "5 AFC Championship Games in a row and 2 Super Bowl appearances" formula and basically pushing him out? If you were KC, wouldn't you want to try and retain your winning formula as much as possible? Losing a coordinator to a HC gig is one thing, but losing him to a lateral OC gig?

Something is fishy about that to me.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

If Bienemy is such a good OC, why is KC messing with their "5 AFC Championship Games in a row and 2 Super Bowl appearances" formula and basically pushing him out? If you were KC, wouldn't you want to try and retain your winning formula as much as possible? Losing a coordinator to a HC gig is one thing, but losing him to a lateral OC gig?

Andy Ried is not pushing him out the door. Andy is his mentor and wants to see him succeed. Why does it have to be something nefarious? EB has been on a lot of peoples HC list for several years. But the percieved issue has been some are concerned he has not been calling plays so not a full fledged OC even though Andy promises he is. So the next logical progression is for him to be an OC somewhere else out from under Andy's shadow. If he does well he will be more considered HC material. 

I honestly do not care who they hire right now. It will only be important when the team gets sold and the new owners decided to either clean house, totally Ok with that, or stay the current path with some modifications, also OK with that. 

Just sell the team! Then these conversations will have more meaning. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Baltimore seems like a pretty sus situation, though.

No cap. I just hashtagged the same thing on my finsta and on the chatsnap. Deadass.

42 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

The whole thing is sussy baka.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

Sounds like Bienemy has a lot of negatives. Is there anything compelling about this guy other than than him being the offensive coordinator in name only of the team who happens to have Patrick Mahomes as QB?

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

Why are we assuming we're looking for a "run first" offensive identity? IMO the main reason we became a "ground and pound" team over the last two seasons was due to lack of talent at the QB position

You answered your own question.

Baltimore has culture and identity already established, too similar to the Chiefs situation. Jackson has already been an MVP with previous identity and philosophy. 

Bienemy should seek a place where he’s given full freedom to establish his philosophy and identity. Also, doing it with a young QB will be gold for him. I imagine some of it will come down to how he feels about Howell. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Our O is not turn-key. We would require more players and significant work.

I think you are selling us short there. We need to just beef up the OL and add a good blocking TE and depth of course. We are set at the WRs and RBs though so really not that much of significate work is required. The QB is slight unknown but he did look good so there is hope in that. You can still add more to the QB position but at least you are not starting from scratch. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Ron didn't visit with Bienemy right after the SB since he went out to the Bay Area to interview Lynn.  Lynn may get the job if Bienemy isn't picked.  I wouldn't mind Lynn as the OC.  My first choice would be Bienemy, then Thomas Brown from the Rams, then Lynn. 

46 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Sounds like Bienemy has a lot of negatives. Is there anything compelling about this guy other than than him being the offensive coordinator in name only of the team who happens to have Patrick Mahomes as QB?

Yes. He has one of the coolest Chris Berman nicknames of all-time.

Eric “Sleeping With” Bienemy.