Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

When I listened to that clip. ... I got the sense that Bienemy relays the plays into the team on the field -- especially when Reid mentioned how Bienemy has some latitude on changing what had been called.  It seemed like an odd arrangement, and I'm not really sure what the reality of the situation is.

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 3

Same. Calls the plays in there is not what we mean by calling the plays. We mean the guy who is actually deciding which play! Andy Reid is playing word games here. It’s nice that he is supporting his guy, but I don’t think he’s fooling very many people. That being said, I still wouldn’t mind bringing EB in and giving him a chance to ‘decide the play calls’. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Scott got a new jobby

Bad career move for him. This Raiders staff will wash out by year 3. Maybe he follows McDaniels to where he goes next as his QB coach. Funny too that they are bringing him on as the pass game coordinator, which is his weakness

• Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, method man said:

Bad career move for him. This Raiders staff will wash out by year 3. Maybe he follows McDaniels to where he goes next as his QB coach. Funny too that they are bringing him on as the pass game coordinator, which is his weakness

I don’t think that’s his weakness. I think his weakness is he has very little game feel as a play caller and gets too cute too often. 

I don’t have an issue with his design, really.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think that’s his weakness. I think his weakness is he has very little game feel as a play caller and gets too cute too often. 

Agree with this. His play designs are innovative. As KDawg stated, his play calling is far too often atrocious. I also found it completely baffling that he doesn't allow for audibles. Imagine how many times through the course of the season we could have audibles out of a completely bad call.

As an aside,  I also couldn't understand calling a play on 3rd/4th and short and see AG trotting out on the field with BRob standing on the sidelines. However, I'm not sure the personnel was on Turner or not. Regardless, it was absolutely mind numbing to watch even to the most novice of football fans. 

HTTR!

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

14 hours ago, Jericho said:

It's not really nonsense. It's truth. I can literally count on one hand the number of Day 3 picks in the last 20 years that became even league average QBs. It's rare and Howell certainly hasn't proven he's one of the few exceptions. It doesn't mean it literally cannot happen, but the odds of him being an exception are small, his margin of error will be small, and he'll have to prove himself quickly or else the team will move on.

I think most people will forget Purdy ever existed in 3 years. He's likely the next in a line of Davis Mills, Garner Minshews, Zach Mettenbergers, and various other lower drafted young QBs that teams talked themselves into hoping for a miracle. 

Seems like people will forget Wilson in three years too. 

I think people are parsing Reid's words a bit too much from that clip. Bieniemy does choose plays, call plays, install the offense. He is a bona fide offensive coordinator who does those things. The grey area, of, course, is that Reid still does some of that too. To what degree is unclear, but Bieniemy has handled those responsibilities in a far more expansive and involved way than Nagy or Pedersen.

As for Turner joining McDaniels, good luck to them both. I congratulate McDaniels on being hired as HC after a losing record in Denver, after getting in hot water for the taping of the 49ers practice before they played 'em, after getting ANOTHER shot as HC but turning his back on the Colts at the 11th hour. Imagine if that had been Bieniemy. It'd be baggage, can't win on his own, dishonest, unreliable, oh he's not innovative, he's just running Charlie's offense...........

Edited by skinzplay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

I think people are parsing Reid's words a bit too much from that clip. Bieniemy does choose plays, call plays, install the offense. He is a bona fide offensive coordinator who does those things. The grey area, of, course, is that Reid still does some of that too. To what degree is unclear, but Bieniemy has handled those responsibilities in a far more expansive and involved way than Nagy or Pedersen.

Where do you get that that's what he was doing?

12 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Where do you get that that's what he was doing?

Keim emphasized it in a recent podcast, saying he'd spoken to several league sources who all confirmed it. Might've been the first part of that session he had recently with Doug. My memory's a little fuzzy. I'm on a terrace in Bogota, on drink number ____. 

Neither here nor there, but I wonder why Bienemy didn't interview / isn't interviewing this weekend? I get wanting to focus on the SB but I thought there's precedent for SB-bound coordinators interviewing for other gigs during this off week.

Not a big deal but was just curious about this.

On 2/4/2023 at 1:27 PM, KDawg said:

I do, his play design was a hot mess. He'd lose the forest for the trees on some concepts and the plays would basically be dead on arrival. Or a situation where too many things can go wrong for what amounts to, at best, a 4 yard gain. And he'd call that play, bafflingly, when 4 yards wasn't what was needed.

He'd go for trickery and confusion as the result, but the path to get there was so long developing that the defense could recover and LB's could point to who had what guy before they passed the LoS. Some plays seemed like they were working as drawn up...but Turner's desire to get cute wasn't done yet, QB had to do yet another fake that took an extra second and the window for the goal of the play had since closed. I am firm on my stance he did not quite realize why some of his plays worked and why some didn't. So he kept throwing a jumbled mess of motions, fakes, and other things into every play and hoping for the best.

What was the rumor, that Scott had his dad Norv in at Ashburn for the 2nd half of the season to help fix his playbook?

Howell's 3rd sack against Dallas was classic Scott Turner. Just a dumpster fire of a play design from the get go. Howell was getting sacked before he even had time to look down the field. What was Howell going to find if he was finally able to look down the field? 7 defenders against 2 WR's and that defense had ample time to ensure who had what responsibility. Also, when the 3rd receiving option finally got past the LoS (as Howell was getting sacked), the LB had no issues knowing that was his assignment.

What in the play design took so long for Howell to get sacked before he could even look downfield? He had to do 3 separate stupid fake handoffs to 3 different guys all in the pocket. It was a mess.

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

All these OC vacancies and Scott taking a "pass-game coordinator" position tells us all we really needed to know.

Do we have a "passing game coordinator" on our staff? How bout a "running game coordinator?" How the hell do these positions all gel together under the OC? The Raiders don't even have a starting QB and they hired a passing game coordinator? Does that make sense? Is TH headed to Vegas?

God I love the off-season.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Neither here nor there, but I wonder why Bienemy didn't interview / isn't interviewing this weekend? I get wanting to focus on the SB but I thought there's precedent for SB-bound coordinators interviewing for other gigs during this off week.

Not a big deal but was just curious about this.

The whole Bienemy thing has me confused, anyway.  I mean, he's the Chiefs' OC, right?  Why would he be interviewing for OC jobs elsewhere?  The Chiefs are in the Super Bowl and figure to contend for the Super Bowl for the foreseeable future, for crying out loud.  What OC job would be better?  And why would the Chiefs gladly allow other teams to interview him for a lateral move?  Makes no sense, unless both Bienemy and the Chiefs aren't super-happy with the way things are.  What's the story?  Is this something that we want to get involved with?  What am I missing?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Number 44 said:

The whole Bienemy thing has me confused, anyway.  I mean, he's the Chiefs' OC, right?  Why would he be interviewing for OC jobs elsewhere?  The Chiefs are in the Super Bowl and figure to contend for the Super Bowl for the foreseeable future, for crying out loud.  What OC job would be better?  And why would the Chiefs gladly allow other teams to interview him for a lateral move?  Makes no sense, unless both Bienemy and the Chiefs aren't super-happy with the way things are.  What's the story?  Is this something that we want to get involved with?  What am I missing?

This has been asked and answered on almost every page of this thread it feels like. He was on a one year deal and Allbright insists the Chiefs are done with him whether he gets a HC job or not. Whether that turns out to be true or not, we’ll see. But there’s a reason why at least three teams are openly talking about interviewing him for their OC spot. It’s not just us thinking he’s available. 

Bottom line:  I think Reid and Rivera are close friends.  Maybe Reid and Rivera have had discussions about Bienemy.  I am guessing that Bienemy to Washington might already be a done deal just waiting for the Super Bowl to be over with so it can become official.  Maybe not BUT if so, possibly RR decides to make Bienemy his HC in a year or two.  Just a though to ponder, ALL!  

Washington In 60: Ron Rivera on relationship with Chiefs' head coach Andy Reid (commanders.com)

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Conn said:

This has been asked and answered on almost every page of this thread it feels like. He was on a one year deal and Allbright insists the Chiefs are done with him whether he gets a HC job or not. Whether that turns out to be true or not, we’ll see. But there’s a reason why at least three teams are openly talking about interviewing him for their OC spot. It’s not just us thinking he’s available. 

Thanks, but it sure doesn't clear it up.  Why are the Chiefs "done with him?"  That isn't a ringing endorsement, is it?  It just seems weird.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Bottom line:  I think Reid and Rivera are close friends.  Maybe Reid and Rivera have had discussions about Bienemy.  I am guessing that Bienemy to Washington might already be a done deal just waiting for the Super Bowl to be over with so it can become official.  Maybe not BUT if so, possibly RR decides to make Bienemy his HC in a year or two.  Just a though to ponder, ALL!  

Washington In 60: Ron Rivera on relationship with Chiefs' head coach Andy Reid (commanders.com)

Ron isn’t going to do jack. 

The new owner will decide what happens long term. Odds are strong, the Gm crew is dismissed after the draft. Ron is stripped of Gm duties and told to coach only and his new Gm will decide Ron’s future beyond 23.

Ron won’t be in any position to hire his successor at head coach. Odds are also strong that if Ron starts poorly like he usually does; he gets dismissed during the season.

EB is a strong candidate in Indy (there's finally a real chance he gets a HC gig). If not, at least he did get legit consideration and not lip service from an org. I hope he gets it.

As for @Number 44's questions, there are a lot of reasons why Bieniemy's HC prospects have stalled:

(a) Is it him, or Reid? (no one asks this question about Kafka and Dabol in NY)

(b) Is it him or Mahomes? (no one asks this question about McDaniels and Brady)

(c) "He has baggage". This stuff was over 20 years ago. He's nit hanging out with college classmates or NFL rookies anymore. He's married now, and they're fully occupied with their family (some special needs attention going on there, so they have a lot on their plate that absolutely precludes that 20-year old stuff. Baggage for him was 'youthful indiscretion' for Vrabel, who knocked a dude out and closed BOTH his eyes, and went to jail. But hey.....

(d) Reid genuinely loves the guy and wants him to show people what he's got so that they stop questioning whether it's Reid behind ALL the magic

(e) "He's a bad interview". That's a croc of bologna. Somehow, despite all his media appearances, he shows up for HC interviews, and is instantly (and suddenly) Boomhauer, not Bieniemy? GTFOH

(f) "He doesn't call plays". He does! Didn't stop teams from hiring Nagy, Peterson, KOC, LeFleur, Zac Taylor and about 6.2 million others who've ascended.

I could go on.

Edited by skinzplay

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

EB is a strong candidate in Indy (there's finally a real chance he gets a HC gig). If not, at least he did get legit consideration and not lip service from an org. I hope he gets it.

As for @Number 44's questions, there are a lot of reasons why Bieniemy's HC prospects have stalled:

(a) Is it him, or Reid? (no one asks this question about Kafka and Dabol in NY)

(b) Is it him or Mahomes? (no one asks this question about McDaniels and Brady)

(c) "He has baggage". This stuff was over 20 years ago. He's nit hanging out with college classmates or NFL rookies anymore. He's married now, and they're fully occupied with their family (some special needs attention going on there, so they have a lot on their plate that absolutely precludes that 20-year old stuff. Baggage for him was 'youthful indiscretion' for Vrabel, who knocked a dude out and closed BOTH his eyes, and went to jail. But hey.....

(d) Reid genuinely loves the guy and wants him to show people what he's got so that they stop questioning whether it's Reid behind ALL the magic

(e) "He's a bad interview". That's a croc of bologna. Somehow, despite all his media appearances, he shows up for HC interviews, and is instantly (and suddenly) Boomhauer, not Bieniemy? GTFOH

(f) "He doesn't call plays". He does! Didn't stop teams from hiring Nagy, Peterson, KOC, LeFleur, Zac Taylor and about 6.2 million others who've ascended.

I could go on.

Nowhere does a legit source say or show, that I can find that, EB is a Colt HC finalist. 

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Ron isn’t going to do jack. 

The new owner will decide what happens long term. Odds are strong, the Gm crew is dismissed after the draft. Ron is stripped of Gm duties and told to coach only and his new Gm will decide Ron’s future beyond 23.

Ron won’t be in any position to hire his successor at head coach. Odds are also strong that if Ron starts poorly like he usually does; he gets dismissed during the season.

You hope.  We shall see when the deal goes down.  Some say fast; some say it takes time well after March NFL Winter Meetings.