Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

I agree with everything you said.  The calling plays stuff is a trash argument.  You laid out examples, but there's a ton more.  Not calling plays in LA didnt prevent Kevin O'Connell from getting a HC job.  And I know his pedestrian season calling plays here wasnt what sold people.  Bienemy has to scratch and claw just for an OC job.  It's kinda crazy

But just a point of clarification,  Nagy did call plays his last year in KC.  That's what got him the Bears job.  Reid took playcalling back and has had it ever since.  Now why Reid kinda refuses to formally hand over the reins to Bienemy on that is anybody’s guess.

It’s not really that crazy at all, Bienemy has some real baggage in his past that has been talking about A LOT and is an abrasive personality. Remember how many HC interview cycles Zimmer had to go through before he was finally hired, because he’s abrasive and doesn’t interview well? It’s not really that much of a mystery, there’s a lot of parts in the mix with Bienemy but I really don’t find it that puzzling given everything we know. And then on top of it the struggle minority candidates have in this league to begin with, it’s an uphill battle. But there are real reasons that make sense aside from all that, too. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Conn said:

It’s not really that crazy at all, Bienemy has some real baggage in his past that has been talking about A LOT and is an abrasive personality. Remember how many HC interview cycles Zimmer had to go through before he was finally hired, because he’s abrasive and doesn’t interview well? It’s not really that much of a mystery, there’s a lot of parts in the mix with Bienemy but I really don’t find it that puzzling given everything we know. And then on top of it the struggle minority candidates have in this league to begin with, it’s an uphill battle. But there are real reasons that make sense aside from all that, too. 

If it's his personality and baggage, I can respect that.  That actually would make sense.  But all that seems like conjecture.  That's not the leading narrative that's being publicly put out there by anybody other than Shady McCoy really.  

The minority part of it is just a given and baked in.  IMO, it's the reason all this stuff about playcalling is really being used against him, when it doesn't seem to hurt anybody else. And if he did have more playcalling experience or ran his own offense, there'd just wind up being something else that was a problem. It will always be something.

The thing about Zimmer is he got 3 different DC gigs before becoming a head coach. Bienemy is out here with a bunch of roadblocks just to get a lateral OC gig.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's crazy, man. Le Fleur was OC in title only when he was out there in LA with Boy Wonder, then did a lateral move to TN with play-calling responsibilities. That offense wasn't impressive enough to me to say he warranted a HC gig. I like him, but just going back to the Bieniemy stuff, all the qualifiers seem to apply selectively to him (and with added criteria).

KOC is definitely another good example. They need to stop the madness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

It's crazy, man. Le Fleur was OC in title only when he was out there in LA with Boy Wonder, then did a lateral move to TN with play-calling responsibilities. That offense wasn't impressive enough to me to say he warranted a HC gig. I like him, but just going back to the Bieniemy stuff, all the qualifiers seem to apply selectively to him (and with added criteria).

KOC is definitely another good example. They need to stop the madness.

Can you think of another HC candidate in recent league history with the baggage Bienemy brings? Patricia was close and that WAS controversial. And he flopped hard obviously but not due to the controversy. I just don’t think it’s as shocking as you’re making it out to be. Bienemy getting hired as a HC somewhere would bring some really spicy headlines, it’s not crazy to think that already-overly-conservative billionaires aren’t going to want to deal with that with the new face of their franchise.

• Like 2

For me, @Conn, I just wish they'd stop using the lame excuses they've been spouting off these past several years. If they have no intention of hiring him for stuff done more than 20 years ago - TWENTY YEARS AGO -  then just let his agent know and don't schedule bogus HC interviews for him. I'm not a Bieniemy fan or detractor, it's just nuts to me what's happening to him. They're essentially trying to force him back to the collegiate level.

Who's that dude that coaches the OL in Buffalo? He beat up a teenager. Mike Vrabel assaulted a dude, too. Git arrested for it, i think. Didn't hurt his trajectory.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

For me, @Conn, I just wish they'd stop using the lame excuses they've been spouting off these past several years. If they have no intention of hiring him for stuff done more than 20 years ago - TWENTY YEARS AGO -  then just let his agent know and don't schedule bogus HC interviews for him. I'm not a Bieniemy fan or detractor, it's just nuts to me what's happening to him. They're essentially trying to force him back to the collegiate level.

Who's that dude that coaches the OL in Buffalo? He beat up a teenager. Mike Vrabel assaulted a dude, too. Git arrested for it, i think. Didn't hurt his trajectory.

I’m going to quote something I wrote from a couple weeks ago on this topic that I think applies, below this response. I do agree that if his background is going to keep him from ever getting a HC job, he should stop getting these tease Rooney Rule interviews. That sucks. At the same time, if he really doesn’t interview well and isn’t getting these old fogey owners enough reason to overlook his transgressions, that’s another factor. There’s no doubt the bar is higher for a guy like Bienemy to get hired in a HC role where he’s the face of an organization—some of those reasons are unfair, like the inherent racial bias in the process. But some of those reasons are perfectly fair. He didn’t just get in one bar fight or something. There’s some ugliness there. There’s like half a dozen run-ins with the law over an extended period of a dozen years, it wasn’t just one dumb thing he did. And one of them was harassing a woman. Now could the books be cooked on some of this stuff, and a random sampling of white guys in the 90’s would have gotten away with most of it? Very possible, but the record is the record and it doesn’t just show a dumb kid who learned his lesson right away or just got drunk once or twice. It looks like a pattern. 

It’s been 20 years, yes. The guy has had plenty of glory and success, though. The idea that this stuff has been an unfair weight around his neck, idk about that. The idea that something is unfair in general about his lack of a HC job due to his past? I don’t necessarily agree with that:

On 1/10/2023 at 10:16 PM, Conn said:

Maybe. Then again, he’s made millions of dollars and gotten to arguably the second highest position in his field. We aren’t the ones making the decisions but who is to say that redemption, if anyone deserves it, guarantees no ceiling on your ambitions? It’s not like the dude is rotting in prison or working a minimum wage job while on the sex offender registry. Talking about someone who has reached these career heights getting “a chance to turn themselves around” rings more than a little hollow. He’s clearly been given that chance and more and benefited greatly. Because he may not be allowed to reach the very top-top peak of the mountain due to his past, it means he wasn’t forgiven or given a chance or whatever? Nah, I don’t believe that at all. 

Recap on Keim thoughts about OC candidates:

• Bieniemy interview is going to delay any announcement to after the Superbowl
  • Doesn't think Bieniemy was a legitimate candidate until the last week or so
  • Shurmur has experience in multiple offensive schemes, has worked well with young QB's and mid level QB's
  • Studesville good with run game and protections but setting up a pass game could be a problem
  • Thomas Brown doesn't have experience play calling maybe would have been a better guy in Rivera's first year and not 4th year
  • Zampese - advantage to keeping the same offense for Howell and understands they need to figure how to get skill guys more involved like Terry, others
  • More on Bieniemy - hasn't had the chance to be "the guy", doesn't always call plays etc. but Ravens and Titans could be the competition
  • Paulsen and Adrian Peterson mentioned Bieniemy pushes guys hard, very vocal coach and players need to be ready for that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Anthony Lynn is in his first season as the 49ers assistant head coach/running backs coach. He joined the 49ers after spending the 2021 season as the offensive coordinator of the Detroit Lions.

The 2021 Lions saw second-year RB D'Andre Swift register career highs in carries (151) and rushing yards (617) while finishing with the second-most receptions on the team (62). Rookie WR Amon-Ra St. Brown led Detroit with 90 catches for 912 yards and five touchdowns.

People need to let people be. If the man wants to golf, he should be able to without people questioning him. He knows what’s at stake. If he feels that it’s being handled in a good sufficient manner, then great. His choices are his and he knows about consequences. Maybe he didn’t have things lined up for that day.

He needs a break as well. he’s had a rough few years here on and off the field. Working 24 hours a day is no way to live. Can’t have a clear stable mind if you’re dog tired everyday running through the same hoops. 

• Like 2

Bienemy is who I want.

Shurmur is who I am comfortable with.

41 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Anthony Lynn is in his first season as the 49ers assistant head coach/running backs coach. He joined the 49ers after spending the 2021 season as the offensive coordinator of the Detroit Lions.

The 2021 Lions saw second-year RB D'Andre Swift register career highs in carries (151) and rushing yards (617) while finishing with the second-most receptions on the team (62). Rookie WR Amon-Ra St. Brown led Detroit with 90 catches for 912 yards and five touchdowns.

:ols:

Doesn't even deserve a reaction. 

• Like 1

If Bienemy's problem is his past (his distant past, at that) or he's a bad interviewer, then folks need to dispense with the bogus football reasons.  And sure, it's probably several things going on, but they're not related to his football acumen.  

Having said all that, I think I'd go Shurmur, Lynn, Zampese.  And only Zampese to try to make things easier for Howell.  I dont think Bieniemy is a serious candidate for us.  I dont think we're REALLY that interested and I think there are better options out there on staffs that aren't already on the hot seat.

30 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

People need to let people be. If the man wants to golf, he should be able to without people questioning him. He knows what’s at stake. If he feels that it’s being handled in a good sufficient manner, then great. His choices are his and he knows about consequences. Maybe he didn’t have things lined up for that day.

He needs a break as well. he’s had a rough few years here on and off the field. Working 24 hours a day is no way to live. Can’t have a clear stable mind if you’re dog tired everyday running through the same hoops. 

Hate to go all Doc Walker, his hands off approach doesn't produce results.  Let Turner do whatever he wanted and then let him take the fall like he didnt know what Turner was doing.

But on the flip side, if he's to be believed, him being hands on and involved and crunching the tape is how we got Carson Wentz.  So maybe he should stay out there. lol  

I get what you guys are saying, but me personally—I want the guy who has final say on things physically at the Senior Bowl meeting players, even if he leans on his staff for evaluation. It’s not about the OC search for me, it’s about the Senior Bowl. If he doesn’t need to be there, then he doesn’t need to be the guy with final say on the roster. Obviously we all know that isn’t the ideal FO setup anyways and hope to have a real GM under a new owner. But a GM wouldn’t be caught dead golfing and missing Senior Bowl week. 

It’s not something I’d get worked up over—especially because to me, this entire regime is just in a holding pattern until new ownership is official. 

But yeah, I’d like the guy with final say on personnel to be at the Senior Bowl. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

I always find it funny that people on the internet complain about other people not working 24 hours a day. 

i also find it amusing that we scream and yell to fire this guy or that guy with our sports teams, only because it goes against a society as a whole. But that is not a conversation for this thread. 

not calling anyone out, because I do this as well. It’s just goofy when you stand back and think about it.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

If Bienemy's problem is his past (his distant past, at that) or he's a bad interviewer, then folks need to dispense with the bogus football reasons.  And sure, it's probably several things going on, but they're not related to his football acumen.  

Having said all that, I think I'd go Shurmur, Lynn, Zampese.  And only Zampese to try to make things easier for Howell.  I dont think Bieniemy is a serious candidate for us.  I dont think we're REALLY that interested and I think there are better options out there on staffs that aren't already on the hot seat.

If we weren’t “really” interested in Bienemy, we would just hire someone sooner and not wait multiple more weeks for the SB to wrap up. Right? Seems obvious to me that he’s one of their top options. Or at least interviewing him is one of their top concerns. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

If we weren’t “really” interested in Bienemy, we would just hire someone sooner and not wait multiple more weeks for the SB to wrap up. Right? Seems obvious to me that he’s one of this top options. Or at least interviewing him is one of their top concerns. 

I mean, you can still do your due diligence and talk to him to be thorough.  Does there seem to be any real urgency?  Nobody they're interviewing is getting snapped up, they can take as much time as they want.