Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

This might actually be the perfect place fro him for us both. If he comes in and does a great job, the Commanders new owner would have a great guy to replace Ron R with. And outside some magical run next year they will and should replace Ron R. If he does not do well then they can clean him out with the rest of the staff. 

Seems like an unlikely scenario, if Bienemy turns the offense around with a top 5 defense already that would most likely make us a serious contender and Ron's job would be safe.

But I do see a scenario where he turns this offense around and immediately becomes a hot candidate for head coaching positions the year after.

That wouldn't be a bad situation we become a contender and get a couple 3rd round picks out of it as well. 

I don’t care who’s the oc, they won’t be overcoming Ron.

Also, I think you guys are expecting to much from a 5th round qb in his first year. If it ends up with the low tier vet starting, they will suck also because the reasons why they’re a tier will show up.

This team is likely finishing 6-11 to 8-9; a little less if Ron gets fired early in the season.  Also, at least on paper for the moment; the 23 schedule is a little bit tougher.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I don’t care who’s the oc, they won’t be overcoming Ron.

Also, I think you guys are expecting to much from a 5th round qb in his first year. If it ends up with the low tier vet starting, they will suck also because the reasons why they’re a tier will show up.

This team is likely finishing 6-11 to 8-9; a little less if Ron gets fired early in the season.  Also, at least on paper for the moment; the 23 schedule is a little bit tougher.

This.  I don’t think people realize how low our ceiling is with Ron coming back as HC in 2023 as a lame duck.  Ron alone assures us that we won’t finish with anything more than 8 wins next year.  I also agree that people are way too enthusiastic and optimistic about a 5th Round QB with one start to his name.  

People, he’s essentially a rookie next year.  Our offense isn’t suddenly going to be elite overnight.  He has to go through some growing pains next year.  That’s why I’m writing next season off already.  It isn’t fair to have high expectations of a kid who will essentially be learning how to be a starter on the fly.  Not everyone can be Brock Purdy.  It doesn’t work like that in the NFL.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But then to counter punch that story, some Chief players, including an ex-Chief player shot McCoy's comments down and pushed Bieniemy.

Feels very mixed on Bieniemy.  Granted its mixed on almost any veteran coordinator.

You hear about his dispute on the sidelines with Mahomes and then also hear according to an article I read about the Ravens interest in him, Mahomes raves about him.

So its really hard for me to get a handle on him.  Plenty positive.  Plenty negative.  In that context, reminds me some of what I read about Shurmur - genius or sucks, depends on what I read.

Agree, it is hard to get a handle on him but I suppose it helps that the guys making the decision do have some familiarity with him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

The only way he leaves to not be a HC is if KC won't bring him back.

Isn't it a bad sign that a guy like Reid is possibly trying to get another team to take his OC to become their OC?

If Reid actually believed that he needed this guy there is no way he'd be trying to get some other team to take him.

Add this to the fact that probably 10+ teams have already passed on him might actually mean something isn't right with the dude. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Isn't it a bad sign that a guy like Reid is possibly trying to get another team to take his OC to become their OC?

If Reid actually believed that he needed this guy there is no way he'd be trying to get some other team to take him.

I don't look at it like that. Remember Eric is getting interviews for HC jobs as well as people wanting him to be their OC and unless Reid is willing to step aside himself he can't stop Eric from getting a promotion. Eric has so many HC interviews he was able to decline invites to some less desirable situations.

Now, if after the season, the Chiefs refuse to re-up Eric and let him leave to a lateral position with another club, then the idea would have some merit that they are just letting him leave and not fighting hard enough to retain him, but as long as he has clubs trying to look and see if they want him as a HC Reid's wants and desires have little import or impact.

25 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Add this to the fact that probably 10+ teams have already passed on him might actually mean something isn't right with the dude. 

Yeah, the behavior stuff in his past.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2023/01/29/mike-mccarthy-to-call-plays-as-cowboys-part-ways-with-offensive-coordinator-kellen-moore/

Kellen Moore out as OC in Dallas. McCarthy will take over play-calling.

Moore interviewed for the Carolina HC position which went to Frank Reich. Could he become a candidate for the OC gig in Washington?

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Moore might be worse than Turner

Unclear. We know Jerry loves Zeke, so Moore running with Zeke often over Pollard might be an ownership thing.

Besides that, Dak blew. He was inaccurate and that cost plays that had Cowboys players open. Is Moore a good OC, I don't know, but judging him on 2022 does not seem fair.

I do know they switched up the offense with Cooper Rush, who should have won no games but they won a few. Defense was great during that span which really helped, but still offense has to be somewhat competent. And nobody thinks Rush is a quality QB.

Is Moore awful? Doubt it. Is Moore the next McVay? Nope. Is Moore better than Scott Turner? Maybe? Should we interview him? Why not?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, samy316 said:

This.  I don’t think people realize how low our ceiling is with Ron coming back as HC in 2023 as a lame duck.  Ron alone assures us that we won’t finish with anything more than 8 wins next year.  I also agree that people are way too enthusiastic and optimistic about a 5th Round QB with one start to his name.  

People, he’s essentially a rookie next year.  Our offense isn’t suddenly going to be elite overnight.  He has to go through some growing pains next year.  That’s why I’m writing next season off already.  It isn’t fair to have high expectations of a kid who will essentially be learning how to be a starter on the fly.  Not everyone can be Brock Purdy.  It doesn’t work like that in the NFL.

I don't think the problem is Rivera. He's a perfectly competent head coach. I feel many here undervalue how well he's done given the circumstances. There's literally never been an NFL level starting QB on this squad in his tenure. I mean this team probably should be the Texans given the QB situation. But the bad news is that position isn't getting fixed in 2023 either. So on that point that I'd essentially write off next season. It'll be mediocre at best and likely just treading water until seeking something more permanent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

I don't think the problem is Rivera. He's a perfectly competent head coach. I feel many here undervalue how well he's done given the circumstances. There's literally never been an NFL level starting QB on this squad in his tenure. I mean this team probably should be the Texans given the QB situation. But the bad news is that position isn't getting fixed in 2023 either. So on that point that I'd essentially write off next season. It'll be mediocre at best and likely just treading water until seeking something more permanent.

Rivera is DEFINITELY part of the problem at the very least.  No one told him to make that absolutely asinine move to give up trade capital to get a QB that was a laughing stock, when said QB would've likely been cut and could've been acquired at NO cost.  No one told him to nuke our offensive line, by not negotiating in good faith with our Pro Bowl tackle, and letting him walk out the door with no clear replacement.  No one told him to let our other quality lineman exit out the door, and replace them with scrub replacements from Carolina.  Most of all, no one told him to replace the backup QB with the season on the line, and a home game against the Browns with the awful QB responsible for putting them in a 1-4 hole before getting hurt, costing this team the playoffs.  He did all of that on his own volition.  Dan Snyder clearly checked out at some point between last offseason and the beginning of this season.  Ron has had plenty of wiggle room and power behind the scenes to make these non-sensical, idiotic moves with little to no pushback.

Rivera is a mediocre at best coach, and an even worse FO executive.  I can't wait for the new owner to get rid of Rivera after next season.  With any luck, the new owner will be brought in early enough for us to fire Rivera in March for Sean Payton.  One can only hope.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, samy316 said:

Rivera is DEFINITELY part of the problem at the very least.  No one told him to make that absolutely asinine move to give up trade capital to get a QB that was a laughing stock, when said QB would've likely been cut and could've been acquired at NO cost.  No one told him to nuke our offensive line, by not negotiating in good faith with our Pro Bowl tackle, and letting him walk out the door with no clear replacement.  No one told him to let our other quality lineman exit out the door, and replace them with scrub replacements from Carolina.  Most of all, no one told him to replace the backup QB with the season on the line, and a home game against the Browns with the awful QB responsible for putting them in a 1-4 hole before getting hurt, costing this team the playoffs.  He did all of that on his own volition.  Dan Snyder clearly checked out at some point between last offseason and the beginning of this season.  Ron has had plenty of wiggle room and power behind the scenes to make these non-sensical, idiotic moves with little to no pushback.

Rivera is a mediocre at best coach, and an even worse FO executive.  I can't wait for the new owner to get rid of Rivera after next season.  With any luck, the new owner will be brought in early enough for us to fire Rivera in March for Sean Payton.  One can only hope.

Are you sure no one told him to make that move for Wentz? Like really sure? Like so sure that the owner saying, in public, "WE FINALLY HAVE A QUARTERBACK" clears the owner of any involvement in said deal?

Are you sure that our Pro Bowl tackle would have even wanted to stay and hadn't had enough and just wanted out? He MAY have, but I haven't seen anything clear either way.

Are you SURE no one told him to let Scherff go, maybe because of budgetary reasons? I'm saying sure as in 100% positive?

Snyder didn't check out. He's been involved... the "WE HAVE A QB!" statement tells us that. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Are you sure no one told him to make that move for Wentz? Like really sure? Like so sure that the owner saying, in public, "WE FINALLY HAVE A QUARTERBACK" clears the owner of any involvement in said deal?

Are you sure that our Pro Bowl tackle would have even wanted to stay and hadn't had enough and just wanted out? He MAY have, but I haven't seen anything clear either way.

Are you SURE no one told him to let Scherff go, maybe because of budgetary reasons? I'm saying sure as in 100% positive?

Snyder didn't check out. He's been involved... the "WE HAVE A QB!" statement tells us that. 

I think Ron has been eating extra bullets for Snyder

• Like 7

Just now, method man said:

I think Ron has been eating extra bullets for Snyder

My issues with Rivera mostly stem from game management decisions. I agree with samy on going to Wentz (though, I also think that it was the right move at the time... I would have pulled him after the first few drives, though, so that's where I differ). But roster construction, despite his title and us hearing that he has full control... I don't hold over him. Rivera has dealt with a lot here...

I'm surprised people aren't blaming him for Admiral Tuddy.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

My issues with Rivera mostly stem from game management decisions. I agree with samy on going to Wentz (though, I also think that it was the right move at the time... I would have pulled him after the first few drives, though, so that's where I differ). But roster construction, despite his title and us hearing that he has full control... I don't hold over him. Rivera has dealt with a lot here...

I'm surprised people aren't blaming him for Admiral Tuddy.

They’ve generally been pretty good at selecting under the radar players under his leadership. I still feel the 2020 FA class is the best I can remember in the Snyder era outside of the first Gibbs one with Shawn Springs, Marcus Washington and Cornelius Griffin

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, KDawg said:

At a minimum I get the impression that Dan pressured them to make that deal and fast once he was made available and under consideration.   I get the vibe it was a combination of people interested but Dan was likely the one anxious to pull the trigger. 

Also, Ron has to pay a premium for any player.   I criticized the deal at the time because of compensation.  I was ok with the risk of a boom-bust veteran.  So I was cool with the thought of Wentz as to rolling the dice. 

If this was a normal organization they probably could have picked up Wentz either much more cheaply or for no draft compensation period.  If they gave up little or nothing ala the Panthers with Mayfield, I think the deal would have looked fine as to taking a risk.  It's the compensation that makes it IMO look bad.

At a minimum Ron is always working with a hand tied behind his back.

Beat guys who seem to be in the know said Scherff wanted out.  Digesting Sheriff's public comments, he liked Rivera.  But I gather didn't think much of the organization.

Yeah every time we think Snyder checked out over the years, we discover later that he didn't.  He might be checked out now finally if the sale is indeed on.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Let’s face it. It’s simply not fair to judge Rivera, or any coach/GM, who has had to work with the dark noxious cloud that is dip**** dan hanging over him at all times. As many have pointed out, Ron has done a good if not great job with mid to late draft picks and developing unknown players into contributors. But it’s the big moves—disasters like Haskins and Wentz—that can completely kill a franchise for years, regardless of how successful they are with the less significant moves. Those two moves alone have set the franchise back to the extent where consistent winning simply isn’t possible at this point. And it’s no coincidence that Snyder‘s fingerprints are all over both of those moves. Throw in the constant off the field ownership-caused distractions he’s had to deal with, and I’d say Rivera has done a good job just in keeping things from completely imploding.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Oh I definitely think that Snyder was involved in getting Wentz to Washington.  It the same dumb, laughable move that he’s made in the past with regards to the QB position.  I’m actually of the mindset that Rivera has more control here as of late than any over Coach we’ve had.  To be frank, Rivera has no clue about offense or QB’s.  I still think he had a lot to do with advocating for, and trading Wentz.  He has no feel for what a modern NFL offense should look like, and he’s too loyal to people who don’t really know what they’re doing.  

That’s why he’s a mediocre coach.  If Cam Newton doesn’t have that magical 15-1 season for the Panthers, Rivera would not be a head coach today.  Just a DC or an assistant to a coordinator somewhere.

Once we get an offensive coach here in a year, you’ll see how night and day our old approach was, to how an NFL team should run.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

Let’s face it Ron has done a good if not great job with mid to late draft picks and developing unknown players into contributors.

Throw in the constant off the field ownership-caused distractions he’s had to deal with, and I’d say Rivera has done a good job just in keeping things from completely imploding.

On these above statements I totally agree with you….and I’ll add that I think over the last 2 drafts he has put into place some very young and contract controlled players that will become for the next few seasons our building blocks… add to this if Howell is given  the legitimate chance to be the starter in 2023 and he does even remotely good, this team is definitely headed in the right direction and with new owners coming in might (just might) become what all of us long time fans have be desiring…I think Ron has done a lot that we should be happy about… specially behind the screens and off the field stuff….plus draft

Edited by ashlynskins

7 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

This OC search is just for show. PR from when Ron gives Ken Zampese the job.

I think he wants someone else other then Zampese but imho probably will have to settle for Zampese or Shurmur due to so many other things revolving around this franchise… mainly new owners who will probably clean house after 2023 if Rivera and Co don’t get into the playoffs

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

Oh I definitely think that Snyder was involved in getting Wentz to Washington.  It the same dumb, laughable move that he’s made in the past with regards to the QB position.  I’m actually of the mindset that Rivera has more control here as of late than any over Coach we’ve had.  To be frank, Rivera has no clue about offense or QB’s.  I still think he had a lot to do with advocating for, and trading Wentz.  He has no feel for what a modern NFL offense should look like, and he’s too loyal to people who don’t really know what they’re doing.  

That’s why he’s a mediocre coach.  If Cam Newton doesn’t have that magical 15-1 season for the Panthers, Rivera would not be a head coach today.  Just a DC or an assistant to a coordinator somewhere.

Once we get an offensive coach here in a year, you’ll see how night and day our old approach was, to how an NFL team should run.

I don't disagree with you. 

I disagree with hanging some of these personnel decisions on him when he's playing this game with both hands tied behind his back. 

I think a good OC, whom he trusts and respects and has a track record, would go a long way in helping Rivera build a better team...

Oh, and not having Snyder.

Because I think as long as Snyder is at the helm Sean Payton could be our OC and we'd get it wrong. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2