Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

Grant and Danny teased an Albert Breer interview about who Breer thinks will succeed Scott Turner (apparently widely thought by the league), then they spent 30 minutes hyperventilating about the Wizards trade today (who gives a rat’s ass) and to my knowledge they never talked about it further.  Maybe I missed it - did anyone hear what Breer had to say? I’m pissed because I literally sat in my car for 30 minutes waiting for them to cover it after they said it would be coming right up.  

Edited by Rex Tomb

53 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Grant and Danny teased an Albert Breer interview about who Breer thinks will succeed Scott Turner (apparently widely thought by the league), then they spent 30 minutes hyperventilating about the Wizards trade today (who gives a rat’s ass) and to my knowledge they never talked about it further.  Maybe I missed it - did anyone hear what Breer had to say? I’m pissed because I literally sat in my car for 30 minutes waiting for them to cover it after they said it would be coming right up.  

I didn’t hear it but saw a recap posted on twitter. It was Zampese.

4 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Lol, it's like when Doofus Dan had to fallback to Zorn when he realized that nobody else wanted the job. Excellent!

Zampese isn’t a bad idea given he’s in house and there is continuity with Howell. 

Im not all that enthused about his play calling but something had to be done and Turner wasn’t going to be a very good thing for the locker room given the fact they weren’t happy with him.

Lame duck regime is hard to get someone new in.

Zampese is a better bet than Turner. But it’s a possibility to be a disaster still.

Zampese has shown nothing in his time in Washington outside of stroking the egos of our QBs in any way possible to try to instill some form of confidence in them.

He does not deserve an expansion of his role. Making him OC would suck and for me would be the worst possible direction to go.

Considering Turner got an extension as a literal apology for not being provided the needed tools, I guess Zamp would not be our first OC under Ron to get a deal he did nothing to earn.

• Thumb up 1

37 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

This team used to know McVay's  system.  And, Shanahan's too for that matter.  Turner will probably be successful somewhere else.  I was watching the Bengals destroy the Bills and wondered how that team was able to get so much production out of Perine when we thought he was a bum here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PlayAction said:

This team used to know McVay's  system.  And, Shanahan's too for that matter.  Turner will probably be successful somewhere else.  I was watching the Bengals destroy the Bills and wondered how that team was able to get so much production out of Perine when we thought he was a bum here.

I think we were looking for him to be "the guy" and that's just not him. He's good as a straight ahead move the chains kind of runner that can reliably block and catch the ball out of the backfield when needed. He's a solid depth kind of RB who looked to not even be that when he was here. I think he's improved a bit since he got to Cincy. Perhaps their scheme suited him better and the weapons they added since he arrived there compared to ours at the time certainly didn't hurt either.

• Like 1

Because there is a good chance this is a one year hire, I think Shurmur is the better fit.  But if we had a more stable long term head coaching situation, I'd take a shot at a guy like Brown. 

I still wouldn't hate Brown though, but I think more importantly we need an OC who has experience with play calling. 

46 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Shurmur would probably take the job, if offered, considering he doesn't have one now. If he's fired along with RR after the year, he'd keep getting paid for the remainder of whatever contract he signs as well. 

The length of contract the new OC signs is going to be real interesting.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2023 at 6:31 AM, FootballZombie said:

Zampese has shown nothing in his time in Washington outside of stroking the egos of our QBs in any way possible to try to instill some form of confidence in them.

Given he is/was the QB coach that is almost literally his job description. 

(Obviously his actual role is wider working on mechanics and film study on understanding play concepts/reads etc - but a huge part of it is working on the space between the QBs ears.)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

These brother, cousin, uncle, knows a guy connection links are ridiculous. Who cares? In what world is it better to not know the people you hire?

Interesting… I read these tidbits as suggesting (or at least alluding to the idea that) a connection can help, ie having shared experiences, knowing people that can vouch for the type of person they are, and just plain making it a little easier to, well, connect.  And not in the cronyism sense, but just facilitating the whole process - trust, relationship building, etc.

Of course, that knowledge could work against one or both parties too, like if Ron’s wife was an ***hole of a choice, lol.

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

The length of contract the new OC signs is going to be real interesting.

To me, a 2 year deal makes sense.  If they’re fired after 1 year due to ownership change, they’re still making money while they job hunt.  If they do a good job, they might get retained (and possibly extended).  Heck, if they do great, they might even be considered for the HC job.

Of course, I’ll readily admit I have virtually no idea what kind of contract length most OCs are offered. :)

We need a stud TE. We've got good receivers and good backs. I look at all the teams playing this weekend and they all have TE's who can change the game by not just catching the ball, but they're dangerous once they have the ball, as they all average double digits in yardage per catch. 

KC- Kelce- 110 catches

SF- Kittle- 60 catches

Philly- Goedert- 55 Catches

Cinci- Hurst- 52 catches

Even teams who were in the playoffs, but eliminated like Minnesota with Hockenson- 86 catches, Andrews for Baltimore- 73 catches, Engram for Jacksonville- 73 catches and Schultz for Dallas- 57 catches, all have very good TE's who average double digits in yardage per catch. This is no great shakes or some great observation on my part, but we need a TE who scares defenses. A threatening TE would help any new OC, would help Howell immensely and could bring our O to a different level. Just by comparison to the above TE's mentioned our TE's:

Thomas/Bates- 53 catches combined with Thomas averaging 8 yds per catch and Bates at 7 1/2 yds per catch.

I will just add that obviously good or great QB play helps and was our lack of production from the TE position more a function of bad QB play, bad play calling,TE's that can't get open or a combination of all?

Not sure what some of our young TE's, Turner and Rodgers, might be capable of if they get on the field regularly, but we need a significant upgrade at TE this offseason. 

Edited by fearlessNelms
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, fearlessNelms said:

We need a stud TE. We've got good receivers and good backs. I look at all the teams playing this weekend and they all have TE's who can change the game by not just catching the ball, but they're dangerous once they have the ball, as they all average double digits in yardage per catch. 

KC- Kelce- 110 catches

SF- Kittle- 60 catches

Philly- Goedert- 55 Catches

Cinci- Hurst- 52 catches

Even teams who were in the playoffs, but eliminated like Minnesota with Hockenson- 86 catches, Andrews for Baltimore- 73 catches, Engram for Jacksonville- 73 catches and Schultz for Dallas- 57 catches, all have very good TE's who average double digits in yardage per catch. This is no great shakes or some great observation on my part, but we need a TE who scares defenses. A threatening TE would help any new OC, would help Howell immensely and could bring our O to a different level. Just by comparison to the above TE's mentioned our TE's:

Thomas/Bates- 53 catches combined with Thomas averaging 8 yds per catch and Bates at 7 1/2 yds per catch.

I will just add that obviously good or great QB play helps and was our lack of production from the TE position more a function of bad QB play, bad play calling,TE's that can't get open or a combination of all?

Not sure what some of our young TE's, Turner and Rodgers, might be capable of if they get on the field regularly, but we need a significant upgrade at TE this offseason. 

Well, we can't pluck one off the tight end tree, so, where are we getting this significant tight end upgrade?

I see one: Michael Mayer, Notre Dame.

I see another potential: Darnell Washington, Georgia. And he's a bit more of a risk than Mayer.

And even if either hit, rookie TEs who are more Y than H take a bit longer to begin producing at a NFL level. 

Other than that, I don't see any avenues.

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Well, we can't pluck one off the tight end tree, so, where are we getting this significant tight end upgrade?

I see one: Michael Mayer, Notre Dame.

I see another potential: Darnell Washington, Georgia. And he's a bit more of a risk than Mayer.

And even if either hit, rookie TEs who are more Y than H take a bit longer to begin producing at a NFL level. 

Other than that, I don't see any avenues.

Curious/ hoping to see if Turner or Rodgers develop going into their second year. Different QB, different OC... might help?

• Like 1