Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

This video says that the chiefs are trying to push Bienemy out the door.

That's literally what it said. 

Why on God's earth would we want a coordinator that the other team is trying to push out the door for a lateral move?

So many red flags with hiring Bienemy. 

Maybe he wants more say in calling more plays and is being overridden by Andy Reid. 

• Like 1

Just now, RWJ said:

Maybe he wants more say in calling more plays and is being overridden by Andy Reid. 

That's all the more reason to stay away.

Andy Reid is an offensive genius and if he doesn't trust him why should we?

Hey maybe he has been living in Reids shadow and he'll come here and shine but I still thinks it's a bad idea.

Best case scenario he makes his lateral move to prove he's been living in Reids shadow and is successful and becomes a one year rental because if he turns this offense around he'll be a red hot commodity next year and leave.

Worst case scenario he's a product of Andy Reid and we continue to suck on offense.

I just don't like the risk reward in this move.

• Like 2

Give this 3 minutes of your time if you’re interested AT ALL in the way that offensive scheming vs the rules in a given defensive scheme can open things up, and how that effects the defense. This is the sort of advantage a great coordinator can give you any given week. Really interesting stuff and shows how many levels the game is being played at each week, there are so many layers to it and we only see the very final product on game day, which is like the tip of the iceberg compared to what went into gameplanning for it. 

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I’m just pleased Turner is out of the way. Very difficult to gauge what we can expect from the 2023 season as a whole. The ownership issue looms over everything at present. 

Candidates may see Rivera on the hot seat. Maybe a guy like EB comes in thinking an opening at HC could be there in 12 months. Interesting times ahead.

• Like 1

I mentioned this on another thread, Keim mentioned they are interested in Frank Reich but isn't sure Reich's interest is mutual.

Some of their intrigue with Shurmur is he had some success with lesser QBs -- arguably Colt's best season, Keenum's career year, Foles' career year.  Did decently with Daniel Jones rookie season. 

This part was from a radio segment recently, he said in the building they do think Turner's playcalling was a plot line for why the offense wasn't good.  They didn't have an issue with the scheme but the actual play calling on game day.

Logan Paulsen thought Scott's weakness is the run game and passing game aren't married to each other so if you are going to be a run heavy team, then what's the point if the play calling isn't in synch between the two units.  Part of the point with the run game is to set up the pass or as Logan said sometimes use the pass to set up the run.  He said that's a key thing that Kyle Shanahan is so good at it.  The look of the run game and the pass game is married so the defense has a hard time cueing in on the play.

The way i take Logan's point in simple terms is our run plays look like runs.  Our pass plays look like passes.  Thus its easy for defenses to lock in.

The one thing though that Scott gets touted for and I've touted him for the same thing is the run game is set up well in that he uses motion and misdirection well in that context.  But the problem is while he's good at executing the run game.  He's not good at setting up play action which is key part of the point as to the run game setting up the passing game. 

Logan talked about having a feel for the game so for when example they were running against SF and it wasn't working, use the pass game to then set the run back up.  loosen those boxes versus using your RBs like battering rams.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The way i take Logan's point in simple terms is our run plays look like runs.  Our pass plays look like passes.  Thus its easy for defenses to lock in.

This was my exact problem with him. I watch a lot of other games and quite often you think it's a pass or a run and are completely fooled. That never happened with Turner. For example I would say to my son "he's surely not running it from there", and sure enough it would be a run, usually for little gain. 

2 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

This was my exact problem with him. I watch a lot of other games and quite often you think it's a pass or a run and are completely fooled. That never happened with Turner. For example I would say to my son "he's surely not running it from there", and sure enough it would be a run, usually for little gain. 

Yep exactly. If I can predict plays with fair regularity from my couch(and the only football experience I have is a couple years of getting my arse kicked in High School), then imagine what NFL players and coaches can do...

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

31 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Any idea if Scott Turner will get a job with another team this year or if he will sit out a year thanks to the Danny paying his salary and wait until the following season to return?

Don't know, don't care.  He's gone.  I wish him luck but if he finds another job or not in the NFL isn't of consequence to us.

• Like 1

Frustrating because tying the run/pass game together seems like such a no-brainer.  Seemed to me he was also concerned about tendencies, but that he took it too far - setting up tendencies to try to gain an advantage when he broke away from them.  And it’s easy to see how that could backfire even more when your run/pass is telegraphed to a degree.  For example, it got pretty ridiculous how many 3rd and 10+ situations we faced towards the end of the season after running the ball on 1st and 2nd (even w/o a penalties).

Obviously he was weighed down with poor qb play and sub par oline play, but I suspect he also made their jobs harder to an extent.

21 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Whats the point of everyone crying for a franchise QB, just to fall in love with a run first OC?

Who is falling in love with any of these rejected, second rate coordinators? I think people are purely trying to decide on who the best case scenario might be—in a potential lame duck year for the coaching staff—during an ownership change. We’re talking damage mitigation in a unique situation. Not dream coordinators. 

• Like 1

Interesting clip that illustrates "sequential" or "connected" play calling, Criticism we've heard about Scott Turner was that either he didn't do this or didn't do enough of it to be effective.

These are examples within one series of downs.  It seems you could also think longer term and set things up throughout the first half for a crucial point later in a game.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Raven fans hate on Roman a ton but he has a track record of success with QBs that have limited passing capabilities.

I wouldn't hate him here.

I wouldnt either.  I have a hard time being too hard on the OC when the franchise was never all that interested in surrounding the QB with receiving talent.

Having said that, the numbers on him are pretty stark.  In 10 years as an OC, he's never coached a run offense that ranked lower than 9th.  By contrast, 9 out of those 10 years, his passing games were 23rd or lower.  Eight were 27th or lower.  But to your point, his QBs were Alex Smith, Kaeprrnick, Tyrod Taylor, and  Jackson.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

The Chargers are the most attractive opening on that list with the offensive talent they have.  This team may be 3rd on that list behind the Cardinals if they really believe in Howell and want to make him the focal point of the offense.

Edited by NoVaSkins21

35 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

The Chargers are the most attractive opening on that list with the offensive talent they have.  This team may be 3rd on that list behind the Cardinals if they really believe in Howell and want to make him the focal point of the offense.

last on this list because of ownership and HC instability. Unless you're on the street or maybe a position coach hating your current situation. Staying clear of Washington is what their agents are telling them to do. 

• Like 2