Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

18 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

RG3 tweeted that Roman is a master of the run game but WRs hate him.

Well I hate RGIII so who cares.  :ols:

just funnin'. Seriously though, someone posted the other day about the success of WRs in Romans system. It's good.

Having 3 upper tier WRs makes it seem like kind of a shame to grab a run first OC, But if Roman is OC for just a couple years, while Sam develops, I think it'll be a plus.

• Haha 2

Ot but:

Has anybody seen anything from rg3 that makes him seem like a decent quality source?

I haven't paid close attention to his product because I already had a pretty firm take on his intellect.

From what I have seen of him as a tv commentator or via tweets posted here he still seems like he runs with a poor to meh level of acumen even in football topics, which should be a safe space for him. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Ot but:

Has anybody seen anything from rg3 that makes him seem like a decent quality source?

I haven't paid close attention to his product because I already had a pretty firm take on his intellect.

From what I have seen of him as a tv commentator or via tweets posted here he still seems like he runs with a poor to meh level of acumen even in football topics, which should be a safe space for him. 

I'm picking up what you're putting down. I ascribe some value to what he says about Roman though because he was on the Ravens roster and probably heard the offensive guys talking about the scheme (e.g. WRs ****ing about it)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I wonder if we will ever embrace pushing the QB on sneaks which is becoming all the rage league wide. I doubt we ever will since we never really embraced hurry-up but for a few random plays per season.

I think we should push the quarterback to wear cleats like everyone else. Sorry, ill see myself out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From everyone that have been discussed…. I want Roman here.

it would really be interesting to see how his offense would look like with real and abundant talent at WR positions and a QB that can throw it sum.  I think Howell’s experience rushing the ball in his last season in college will be a great help.

Not sure about the Roman love. The guy hasn’t had a very good passing attack on his resume as an OC. Granted, I don’t think he’s be a bad hire. Just not sure how good of a hire he’d be with us having McClaurin and Dotson… semi counter intuitive hire.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Not sure about the Roman love. The guy hasn’t had a very good passing attack on his resume as an OC. Granted, I don’t think he’s be a bad hire. Just not sure how good of a hire he’d be with us having McClaurin and Dotson… semi counter intuitive hire.

On the other hand, BRob becomes a Pro Bowl back under Roman

1 hour ago, method man said:

What makes you think that?

In his last 5 seasons as OC he has had one 1,000 yard RB (2019, Mark Ingram, 1,018).

Meanwhile, if Robinson didn’t get shot this year he’s probably a thousand yard back under Turner. 

I’d argue if Roman comes here Anthony Richardson is more on this team’s radar than we thought previously. But he won’t make it to us.

Edited by KDawg

16 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

We'd rush to the line, then pitch it out to Samuel on a reverse sweep.

Meanwhile, Dallas just did exactly that and converted. Well, it wasn’t a pitch. But it works when you don’t run it 7 times a game.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I think people are looking at Roman from the worse possible angle, they are blaming him for the lack of passing attack w/Ravens, but again nobody wants to come and say Lamar isn’t a very good passing QB… 1 could agrue who has Roman had at WR at any of his locations the likes of McClaurin, Samuel, Dotson? He had Crabtree in SF, had Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods in Buffalo and in Baltimore as the OC who worthy of even being compared to what we have here, and guess what else, Kapernick was actually a very good passer while under Roman, in Buffalo he got the best ever out of a career back up in Tyrod Taylor, imho Howell is better then both of them, shoot I’d even said Wentz is better then both of them… I personally would welcome Greg Roman here without a care in the world 

1 minute ago, ashlynskins said:

I think people are looking at Roman from the worse possible angle, they are blaming him for the lack of passing attack w/Ravens, but again nobody wants to come and say Lamar isn’t a very good passing QB… 1 could agrue who has Roman had at WR at any of his locations the likes of McClaurin, Samuel, Dotson? He had Crabtree in SF, had Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods in Buffalo and in Baltimore as the OC who worthy of even being compared to what we have here, and guess what else, Kapernick was actually a very good passer while under Roman, in Buffalo he got the best ever out of a career back up in Tyrod Taylor, imho Howell is better then both of them, shoot I’d even said Wentz is better then both of them… I personally would welcome Greg Roman here without a care in the world 

There is a reason Baltimore struggled to get receivers there. Part of that absolutely is Lamar Jackson. Part of that was Greg Roman and the style of offense he runs. He wants to prioritize his QB as a runner. Not use him there. Prioritize. 

Jackson isn’t a great passer, but if Roman had a more receiver friendly offense things would likely be a bit better in that regard. 

I’m not against Roman, for what it’s worth. I think he has value. But I’m not sure Howell fits the kind of QB he wants even though Howell can run. But maybe he can adapt. Interviews would say a lot about him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Number 44 said:

Why?  Can Roman block?  I'm kidding, of course, but it seems to me that if we don't make real improvements to the OL, it won't matter who the OC is.

He is known to be very creative with his run scheme

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

What makes you think that?

In his last 5 seasons as OC he has had one 1,000 yard RB (2019, Mark Ingram, 1,018).

Meanwhile, if Robinson didn’t get shot this year he’s probably a thousand yard back under Turner. 

I’d argue if Roman comes here Anthony Richardson is more on this team’s radar than we thought previously. But he won’t make it to us.

Dobbins would have probably hit that bucket if he didn’t have all these injury issues the past couple years. Also don’t think he has had a workhorse like BRob (Gus has had his own injury woes)

Agreed on BRob would have had a 1000 yards this year had he stayed healthy. With upgrades to the OL and Roman’s run scheme, I think BRob would have a chance to average high 4s or low 5s for his YPC (what Gus has been averaging)

8 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Ot but:

He’s not bad when he doesn’t have skin in the game (unlike if Washington is involved, or now his good buddy Lamar)

But everything had this tinge of “you flunked out….” When listening to him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, method man said:

Baltimore has a boat load of good TE's and maybe the best kicker of all time who has saved their asses over and over. OL too, Terry does not make the pro bowl too. Our young WR's will want out, might as well trade them. Balance attack with a coach who is a crafty play caller is needed just do not see it with Roman.  

3 hours ago, ashlynskins said:

Its obvious he can teach a running QB to make it in the NFL one dimensional gets you only so far. They built the O around running QB's with him. Philly, Kansas,......to name a few. use the good feet in the passing game too. Pass on Roman for me, not best for Howell either. Ravens also traded away Brown may have been there best WR offseason, Why? Is it because they are not featured?  

I'm not very interested in Roman as it will make the process of bringing in a QB even harder for all but the most mobile of options.

Even guys like Jacoby or Mayfield may look at a Roman lead O and choose to gamble elsewhere.

I do think he would find some level of success here if brought in however, as we do have the pieces to be an effective rushing team, even if it is not in the exact mold that Roman is used to with a Lamar/Kap type QB.  I'm betting he could adapt with guys like B-Rob n Gibby and do some damage.

Edited by FootballZombie