Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Well, we can't pluck one off the tight end tree, so, where are we getting this significant tight end upgrade?

I see one: Michael Mayer, Notre Dame.

I see another potential: Darnell Washington, Georgia. And he's a bit more of a risk than Mayer.

And even if either hit, rookie TEs who are more Y than H take a bit longer to begin producing at a NFL level. 

Other than that, I don't see any avenues.

Ya pretty much put it in a nutshell. I know we need one, but to who it is and how we get him, I don't have the answer.

13 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Curious/ hoping to see if Turner or Rodgers develop going into their second year. Different QB, different OC... might help?

This would be the hope, but I'm not holding my breath.

43 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Well, we can't pluck one off the tight end tree, so, where are we getting this significant tight end upgrade?

I see one: Michael Mayer, Notre Dame.

I see another potential: Darnell Washington, Georgia. And he's a bit more of a risk than Mayer.

And even if either hit, rookie TEs who are more Y than H take a bit longer to begin producing at a NFL level. 

Other than that, I don't see any avenues.

I do like LaPorta from Iowa...

• Like 1

To the OP @samy316- does it make sense to change the title of this thread to OC Search (and all things offensive) or something like that  since Scott is gone? Just a suggestion. 

I like they are bringing in some high quality competition. I do not think Zampese is a foregone conclusion but unlike some I do not see him as the worst choice by a long shot. Honestly if Zampese was the guy I would think they would have announced it by now. No reason to wait. At this point even if the other interviews were for show that has been enoguh show. I think there is a very good chance they go outside the building. Glad it at least appears to be a process. 

Some interesting names have popped up on the interview list. Hope they make a call soon. I am wondering if there is someone still in the POs they really want and that's why they have not made the decision yet.

• Like 1

• samy316 changed the title to New OC Thread (And All Things Offensive - Accepting Any Qualified Applicants)

Thanks @samy316!  Looks good!  

Ok, so Nathaniel Hackett to the Jets. Seems as anemic as the Broncos offesnse was this doesn't make sense unless..... they are gonig to make a serious push for Aaron Rogers. Of course you could argue the problem with the Broncos offense was Russell Wilson so I can see why they probably ignored it. But even not being a big Russell Wilson fan was it all him? Or were they trying to get him to run an offense that does not suit his skills? I honestly did not watch enough to find out. Any insight from others about why RW flamed out in Denver would be welcomed. Of course it could also be that Pete Carroll does not get enough credit for getting more out of players - see Geno Smith. Career jouneyman has a career year after 10 yrs. 70% comp - 30 TDs - 11 int 4200 yds 100.9 QBR. I am not a big Pete C fan bu down that impressive. 

Glad Hackett was not considered here. The cost for Rogers is gonig to be crazy. 2 1sts at least and a lot of $$$$. If you take his contract you have him until 41 (past 2 yrs are dummy yrs for CAP purposes) unless you restructure. I guess it depends on what you get GB to eat but I am gessing not much if any. What does he have left? One season? 2? 3? more? I have never been a fan of paying the money for him. Just too steep and we are not a QB from a chamipionship, especially if they don't fix the Oline. He would get destroyed. I think he has a no trade clause and he already stated in other years this is not a choice destination for him. 

Hope we get some news on our OC spot soon. 

• Like 1

This team will ony be able to hire to hire someone without a contract for 23-24. That means someone currently out of work or someone whose contract ain't gonna be extended.  Tells you something, though Shurmur would be good (he ain't taking the gig).

Edited by skinzplay
Oops - tells you 'something', not tells you 'setting'. One too many Serbian beers.

3 hours ago, skinzplay said:

This team will ony be able to hire to hire someone without a contract for 23-24. That means someone currently out of work or someone whose contract ain't gonna be extended.  Tells you setting, though Shurmur would be good (he ain't taking the gig).

So who you thinking takes it, SP?

3 hours ago, skinzplay said:

This team will ony be able to hire to hire someone without a contract for 23-24. That means someone currently out of work or someone whose contract ain't gonna be extended.  Tells you setting, though Shurmur would be good (he ain't taking the gig).

Yup.

This is why I'm okay with Zampese. Not because I think he's going to light the world on fire, but because options are limited and Howell knows him and he isn't Turner. Having said that, it's entirely possible Zampese is not good at the role and things go awry quickly. 

I'd love a Bienemy type, but we won't have the budget to pay him to come here and there is no promise of security. 

Shurmur would be good, but why bother to come here if you're him? You've been around. You know people. You can probably catch on another staff if you wanted to... maybe not as OC, but possibly. Why come to this organization right now?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, method man said:

I believe you have had inside info in the past. Is it your info that Shurmur is not taking the gig or just a guess?

Just a guess, chief. I'd be cool with Shurmur, and I'm sure he'd love to stick it to the Giants twice a year. I just think he'll have better options. He's been listed on the prospective coaching staffs of several HC candidates this cycle. 

I know y'all like to bag on me for being the Eagles fan, but they've had coaches from the same tree for a long time and that's why they've been one of the best teams since 2000. I saw Reich got a job. Sirianni has done an awesome job in Philly. He's from that tree and has worked under McCoy and Crennel and Haley.

Howell on that Eagles team, with better running backs would be fun to watch. The QB Coach Brian Johnson would be a nice get.

Shurmer or Roman would be fine.

Speaking of the Eagles, as i mentioned on the QB thread, i think a heavcy RPO system like they use could help Howell likewise.

PHILADELPHIA — The Philadelphia Eagles are one win away from the Super Bowl in large part because their coaching staff has molded the offense to maximize quarterback Jalen Hurts. In 2021, rookie Coach Nick Sirianni ditched a floundering, pass-first approach midseason and leaned hard into his quarterback’s special running ability, which laid the foundation for a breakout.

This year, the Eagles became a juggernaut by forcing defenses to play 11-on-11. They did it by using a scheme based on run-pass options (RPOs), which let Hurts read defenders and choose to run (handoff) or pass (throw). Hurts, who was never a surefire NFL starter, blossomed into an MVP candidate, the most important cog in one of the league’s most complete teams — and he wasn’t surprised his coaches were willing to scrap their pass-first preference and embrace his skill set.

“The way I play the game has always taken over, regardless of how the coach calls the game or what his background is,” Hurts said Wednesday. He pointed out that he’s grown a lot this year because this is the first time that he’s had the same play-caller in consecutive seasons since his father, Averion, coached him at Channelview High School in Houston.

...“That has allowed [offensive coordinator Shane Steichen and I] to build a relationship with one another and kind of learn the game [together] and ultimately be on the same page,” Hurts added. “We're kind of clicking on all cylinders.”

“The way I play the game has always taken over, regardless of how the coach calls the game or what his background is,” Hurts said Wednesday. He pointed out that he’s grown a lot this year because this is the first time that he’s had the same play-caller in consecutive seasons since his father, Averion, coached him at Channelview High School in Houston.

“That has allowed [offensive coordinator Shane Steichen and I] to build a relationship with one another and kind of learn the game [together] and ultimately be on the same page,” Hurts added. “We're kind of clicking on all cylinders.”

The Eagles’ offense will face its toughest test of the year Sunday in the NFC championship game. The San Francisco 49ers were arguably the NFL’s best defense this year, with talent at every level and a star coordinator, DeMeco Ryans. The 49ers excelled against the run, and if they can slow the Eagles on the ground Sunday, Hurts may have to lead with his arm.

In coverage, elite linebackers Fred Warner and Dre Greenlaw could pose problems for Hurts. They often use vision technique, meaning they read the quarterback and react, which could put pressure on Hurts to manipulate defenders and make quick decisions. If the linebackers know where Hurts is going, they can make plays. In the divisional round, Warner went viral for sticking with Dallas wideout CeeDee Lamb all the way up the seam.

This week, Steichen re-watched Philadelphia’s loss to San Francisco in 2021. He was looking for hints at how the 49ers might attack. But that was just the second game of the Sirianni era, long before the offensive adaptation, so the tape seemed to mostly highlight the progress of his unit.

“We’ve grown as a team,” Steichen said, adding, “[I was] looking at little things, and I’m like, ‘Oh shoot. We’ve done that a lot better this year.’”

Several weeks after that game, Sirianni flipped the offensive approach to run-first and gave the play-calling duties to Steichen. Steichen called a heavy dose of read option and downhill handoffs, and Hurts and the running backs bulldozed through even the NFL’s best run defenses. The Eagles became the first team to rush for at least 175 yards in seven consecutive games since the 1985 Chicago Bears. They won seven of their last 10 games to nab a playoff spot.

But underneath the success was a deeply flawed passing attack. The unit had limited playmakers other than rookie receiver DeVonta Smith and tight end Dallas Goedert, and Hurts struggled to throw from the pocket. Steichen seemed hesitant to rely on dropback passes, often preferring rollouts to capitalize on Hurts’s athleticism and cut the field in half.

In the first round of the playoffs, Tampa Bay exposed Philadelphia by forcing Hurts to throw and built a 31-0 lead. Critics argued the offense was gimmicky and unsustainable. The future of the 2020 second-round pick — seen first as a developmental backup to franchise quarterback Carson Wentz, then as a bridge between Wentz and the next era — still seemed murky.

Despite some skepticism, Eagles brass told reporters in the offseason that Hurts had showed them enough to merit building around him.

“No one knows where [he’s] going to end up,” owner Jeffrey Lurie said in March. “But I think what you do know is you have a guy that is incredibly dedicated, [an] excellent leader of men. Players around him gravitate to him. He will do anything and everything to get better and work on every weakness he has to try to maximize every strength he has. And that’s why we’re committed to Jalen.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/01/27/jalen-hurts-eagles-offense/

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I think there are a few similarities between Howell and Hurts. While not as big or strong, Howell is built thick and can take the punishment that he'll get. Howell seems smarter about taking hits though. Howell is the better passer for sure though. I think they're both pretty smart. With an OC that understands how to properly use Howell, like The Eagles did with Hurts, I see no reason that we can't be a contender next season.

• Like 3

I'd have to think some of the up and comers would be taking it but their agents (they have them right?) are saying ownership transition is just too big of a risk.

Offensive weapons are pretty good, rookie QB who showed good stuff in 1 game with a promise to beef up the OL. Seems like a good scenario to "coach up a young QB" with a good supporting cast, and then use that resume booster for HC gigs in a few years.

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Standig this morning, he's hearing Zampese or Shurmur will likely be the guy

Not saying I get a vote, but my vote is on Shurmur. 

47 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think there are a few similarities between Howell and Hurts. While not as big or strong, Howell is built thick and can take the punishment that he'll get. Howell seems smarter about taking hits though. Howell is the better passer for sure though. I think they're both pretty smart. With an OC that understands how to properly use Howell, like The Eagles did with Hurts, I see no reason that we can't be a contender next season.

My question with these prospects after Haskins is always intelligence and work ethic. We can talk about moxie and mojo and athleticism, but i want a guy who hits the books and learns the ins and outs of an offense. Hopefully the other things come into line, but it seems like thats something thats been missing from most of the QBs that Snyder liked (George, McNabb, RG3, Haskins). others I'm not sure about like Campbell and Ramsey. Smith is the unique one who is a Snyder like who worked hard. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Not saying I get a vote, but my vote is on Shurmur. 

My question with these prospects after Haskins is always intelligence and work ethic. We can talk about moxie and mojo and athleticism, but i want a guy who hits the books and learns the ins and outs of an offense. Hopefully the other things come into line, but it seems like thats something thats been missing from most of the QBs that Snyder liked (George, McNabb, RG3, Haskins). others I'm not sure about like Campbell and Ramsey. Smith is the unique one who is a Snyder like who worked hard. 

I'd be hard pressed to call a 5th rounder a Dan picked QB, but from everything I've read, SamHo is a mule. Dudes always working and learning. Remembers everything the way they talk about Herbert. He stayed to help UNC after all of the talent left, which crushed his draft stock.

Howell has the moxie and work ethic to be special and he definitely has the tool. He is a lot like Hurts.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd be hard pressed to call a 5th rounder a Dan picked QB, but from everything I've read, SamHo is a mule. Dudes always working and learning. Remembers everything the way they talk about Herbert. He stayed to help UNC after all of the talent left, which crushed his draft stock.

Howell has the moxie and work ethic to be special and he definitely has the tool. He is a lot like Hurts.

Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't calling Howell a Dan picked QB, just saying hopefully he doesn't have the characteristics of Dan picked QBs. 

• Like 1

At this point I'd be fine with any OC off the roster and not named Zamp. Even the guys I kinda don't want would be elevated to "meh" status by virtue of at least allowing us to dodge the Zamp bullet.

I have no interest in trying to solve a problem w/ a guy who contributed to said problem. Time for new blood and newer ideas. Zamp has not been good in his role here and his history as an OC aint any better. No thanx.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

At this point I'd be fine with any OC off the roster and not named Zamp. Even the guys I kinda don't want would be elevated to "meh" status by virtue of at least allowing us to dodge the Zamp bullet.

I have no interest in trying to solve a problem w/ a guy who contributed to said problem. Time for new blood and newer ideas. Zamp has not been good in his role here and his history as an OC aint any better. No thanx.

Why is he even still here? Just sack the entire offensive staff and let a new OC build it.

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Why is he even still here? Just sack the entire offensive staff and let a new OC build it.

I think Ron likes the overall offensive staff and their ability to coach and scheme. The issue was in game playcalling and strategy/"feel" which is why he replaced Turner. The priority is to get a better in game tactician while keeping the rest of the offense intact.

I don't know if I agree with it 100% but that's Ron's thought process I believe.

• Like 2