Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Let’s play this out as a hypothetical:

I like this game

I agree things would have to happen quick fast and in a hurry for this avenue to have legs, and it is seriously unlikely that things would come together in such a capacity. Also gotta ship out a draft pick for Peyton too.

That being said... new owner plus Sean in March? If that happens I'm breaking out the Snoopy Happy Dance.

giphy.gif

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Snoopy Happy Dance.

I’ll break out the Perfect Strangers happy dance:  but I’m not going to jinx it by quoting it here.

according to @Califan007 The Constipated I am responsible for Wentz’s performance against the Browns because I made a joke about TH being a backup XFL QB. 

Which is still what I think is most likely end point. 

• Haha 1

I think if it would happen it would be by Ron himself. Ron becomes president of football ops, the Marty’s at GM, and Payton at coach with all the support He could ever want. We either become major players for a big time vet qb, Brady/Rodgers or Payton turns Sam into a Gem. 

Bezos or Harris Finalize the sale and let the adults handle the team. 

haha one could dream. 

12 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Didn't hear this rumor until now...

What's funny is the first time I saw this tweeted my first thought was it was about us. 

Getting our ducks in a row obviously means a new owner... and then as Payton was dropping out of other teams' searches it got more curious. It could be that he has had conversations with, say, Bezos and he has agreed to come aboard if the owner change happens quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if the scenario with Ron kicking to the front office also has legs (and it has been something I've been pushing since he was hired so it aligns with my personal thoughts as well). 

It could also explain the slow play on hiring an offensive coordinator and the continued interviews for candidates... they are spreading the timeline out in order to see if the ownership situation changes so they don't hire a guy that is going to turn around and get fired in a month if Bezos (or whoever) comes in as the owner and Payton comes aboard.

But, having said all of that... we'd have to give up a lot to the Saints to get Payton. Now, granted... Bezos/Payton increases our ability to be active in FA and fill some of the holes on the OL and where we need other help like LB (Edmunds) so giving up a one and change isn't necessarily a bad move... but it does give me pause. 

I also don't know if Snyder is going to cooperate with this timeline and I think it will all fall to the ground in a gigantic thud this year. But I'd expect this topic to be spoken on a lot more going into next offseason if Payton doesn't jump on board with anyone. But if we're not good this year I'd expect us to offer 2025/2026 ones and go after Caleb Williams in '24 to team with Payton. If this year goes reasonably well Howell may be someone Payton wants... he has similar size to Brees but more mobile... kind of a combo of Hill/Brees for Payton to scheme around... I bet Payton likes Howell.

We'll see. 

Interesting convo to have if nothing else. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It won’t.  Because it’s Cowherd and he knows nothing.  

FWIW -

I'm one of the idiots that always has his show on in the background of my office and I will tell you that although he's a big blowhard, he has a very close relationship with Payton.  They're buds.  They have dinner together a lot so he's sort of his mouthpiece in the media.  Example, they had dinner Wednesday and Cowherd got out there Thursday to debunk the rumors Payton was disparaging the Bronco's ownership.

When he throws things out about Payton, I always perk up.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

What's funny is the first time I saw this tweeted my first thought was it was about us. 

Getting our ducks in a row obviously means a new owner... and then as Payton was dropping out of other teams' searches it got more curious. It could be that he has had conversations with, say, Bezos and he has agreed to come aboard if the owner change happens quickly.

51 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

FWIW -

I'm one of the idiots that always has his show on in the background of my office and I will tell you that although he's a big blowhard, he has a very close relationship with Payton.  They're buds.  They have dinner together a lot so he's sort of his mouthpiece in the media.  Example, they had dinner Wednesday and Cowherd got out there Thursday to debunk the rumors Payton was disparaging the Bronco's ownership.

Son of a....I HATE YOU PEOPLE!!! lol...

I was fine with it just being somewhat laughable speculation, and braced for some ridicule aimed towards me for even posting it lol. But, nooooo,,,,you guys have to go and add sound logic and reasonable takes and now I'm doing this:

Math Calculating GIF

• Haha 1

I mean, if he has the promise of new ownership this aint a bad situation for Sean, even this year.

Instant plug n play D, and with his clout he'd probably be able to lure in a QB, who he would also have the cap space to pay. Guys would want to come here, so you can make a little extra headway in FA too.

Exciting to think about,

14 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

In the scenario a new owner is named and closed and they could still get Peyton as HC before we got too far into the off-season, that would make some sense if the owner came in soon enough to make changes.

Let’s play this out as a hypothetical:

1. Deal closes before March 1.  FA and draft haven’t happened, neither has any off-season practices.

2. New Owner (henceforth referred to as the anonymous “Jeff”) could whack Ron. Hire Peyton.

3. Peyton could decide to keep basically the entire defensive side of the coaching staff intact, at least for a year.  They’re under contract, and the haven’t stunk.  It might be too late to get a new DC and entire coaching staff.  They’d have to plug a hole at secondary coach.  But that’s about it. (Also except for when Gregg was paying players to decapitate opponents Payton has had mixed results with defenses.  They finally got good at the e s but were atrocious for years.  

4. Peyton probably would make a few changes on the Offensive side of the coaching staff. If they hire a new OC it might be the shortest lived employment term in NFL history…

5. It’s too late to entirely change the FO before FA and the draft.  Peyton probably gets some personnel power and they make changes after the draft.

It all could work.

It won’t.  Because it’s Cowherd and he knows nothing.  

But it’s a fun thought exercise.

I wouldn’t totally discount Cowherd.  Yes, he’s been a blowhard sports radio guy for the better part of 20 years, but he’s higher profile now.  He owns a successful podcast entity, and he keeps close relationships with scouts and GM’s.  He’s been very accurate on NFL & NBA moves the last few years.  Payton works for FOX at the moment, and is on Cowherd’s show like every other week.  I think they were friends before Payton got to FOX.  I tend to believe Cowherd more than others when it comes to coaching rumors and FA signings and trades.  I think he was the first Sports Radio guy predicting and confirming Brady to the Bucs months before anyone else.  Everyone else had Brady going to either the Dolphins or the 49ers.

Edited by samy316

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Compensation to the Saints for Payton is a reported first rounder isn’t it.

Yup. But if having Payton lured in, say, Tremaine Edmunds and some OL help via FA, a single first may be worth it. 

I know some think he’d lure in a QB too, but I’m not sure. I think he’d enjoy working with Howell and if that falls apart I think he’d love drafting a guy.

That said, I don’t think it happens. Timeline is getting too tight.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I also don't know if Snyder is going to cooperate with this timeline and I think it will all fall to the ground in a gigantic thud this year.

If Snyder is truly selling, and indications are that he is, he is the motivated party to get the deal done as quickly as possible. 

Faster deal closes mean:

1. The seller gets their money sooner

2. The seller no longer has responsibility to run the organization through the sale period

3. There is less time for somebody to find something to alter the terms of the deal and/or blow it up entirely

4. Did I mention they get their money sooner?  Sellers like this.  A lot.

Snyder isn't going to be the hold-up.  The hold up will most likely just be the process of selling a $6billion dollar legal entity, which takes time.  The bidding process takes time, the financial diligence takes time, legal takes time, it all takes time.  "Quick to close" on transactions like these are 4-6 months.  Then you have the NFL process to approve the new owner, which also takes time.  Now the NFL probably would be incented to move quickly also, but how quickly they can move is up for debate.  

Which could put us somewhere in the end of Feb/early March timeframe if it's on the short end of the 4-6 months.  

I bet Snyder would take the highest bidder's money tomorrow (assuming it's north of $6-bills) and run all the way to the bank laughing manically.  

We'll see.  It's a good through experiment, as I said before.  

If I was placing a bet, I'd say we hear about the owner he week after the SB, and it gets confirmed mid-August, just after the beginning of the FA period.  That's going to really stink from a timing perspective, but that's my guess as to what's actually going to happen.  

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If Snyder is truly selling, and indications are that he is, he is the motivated party to get the deal done as quickly as possible. 

Faster deal closes mean:

1. The seller gets their money sooner

2. The seller no longer has responsibility to run the organization through the sale period

3. There is less time for somebody to find something to alter the terms of the deal and/or blow it up entirely

4. Did I mention they get their money sooner?  Sellers like this.  A lot.

Snyder isn't going to be the hold-up.  The hold up will most likely just be the process of selling a $6billion dollar legal entity, which takes time.  The bidding process takes time, the financial diligence takes time, legal takes time, it all takes time.  "Quick to close" on transactions like these are 4-6 months.  Then you have the NFL process to approve the new owner, which also takes time.  Now the NFL probably would be incented to move quickly also, but how quickly they can move is up for debate.  

Which could put us somewhere in the end of Feb/early March timeframe if it's on the short end of the 4-6 months.  

I bet Snyder would take the highest bidder's money tomorrow (assuming it's north of $6-bills) and run all the way to the bank laughing manically.  

We'll see.  It's a good through experiment, as I said before.  

If I was placing a bet, I'd say we hear about the owner he week after the SB, and it gets confirmed mid-August, just after the beginning of the FA period.  That's going to really stink from a timing perspective, but that's my guess as to what's actually going to happen.  

Okay. I think Snyder is spiteful enough to sell after a period where the team can make an impact this year. 

I get it. I’m on an island in thinking Snyder is capable of sabotage around here… I’m okay with that. He’s given me 20+ years of distrust to prevent myself to follow reason and logic when discussing him. For any reason. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

FWIW -

One thing about this post is certainly true, which you pointed out above and I have bolded for clarity:

793y0z.jpg

(Maybe he knows Payton and is buds.  I'll allow for the possibility.)

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Okay. I think Snyder is spiteful enough to sell after a period where the team can make an impact this year. 

I get it. I’m on an island in thinking Snyder is capable of sabotage around here… I’m okay with that. He’s given me 20+ years of distrust to prevent myself to follow reason and logic when discussing him. For any reason. 

I think that's fair, and I don't trust Dan as far as I can throw him. 

But at the end of the day (it's night, but also) you hire BofA securities to maximize the return on your investment.  When you hire an IBank of that stature, you kindof have to play by their rules a little bit. And they make it very (very) expensive not to.  They and the NFL are going to push for a quick close.  

Also, if the rumors are somewhat true where Good Ol' Rodge is holding back the MJW report, he could apply pressure that way.

Regardless of the reason, I still think this thing isn't done until mid-March, which puts them out of the new coach/new GM running for 2023, and also is probably after FA starts.  

Another dot to connect: Maybe Ron has been told "we're close" on the sale, and that's one reason he's waiting to hire a new OC to see what's going on with the sale first.  

It wouldn't be a good idea to hire a guy (unless it's just a promotion of Zamepese) and then have Ron fired and Payton hired immediately, which also ushers out the newly hired OC.

This is one of those wonderful scenarios where if you look hard enough you can find facts to fit the theory, instead of theories which fit the facts.

Oh, one more thing:  If we get Peyton early enough (ie: before FA) I think he'd get Brady to come in here for a year.  Which would be really interesting...  

Now there's a dream for you: Payton coaching an offense with Brady throwing to McLaurin, Dotson and Samuels with Gibby playing the poor-man's Kamara role, BRob being the power back.

Sign 3 new OL.

Win SB.

That is all.

:P

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Another dot to connect: Maybe Ron has been told "we're close" on the sale, and that's one reason he's waiting to hire a new OC to see what's going on with the sale first.  

It wouldn't be a good idea to hire a guy (unless it's just a promotion of Zamepese) and then have Ron fired and Payton hired immediately, which also ushers out the newly hired OC.

This is one of those wonderful scenarios where if you look hard enough you can find facts to fit the theory, instead of theories which fit the facts.

Oh, one more thing:  If we get Peyton early enough (ie: before FA) I think he'd get Brady to come in here for a year.  Which would be really interesting...  

Now there's a dream for you: Payton coaching an offense with Brady throwing to McLaurin, Dotson and Samuels with Gibby playing the poor-man's Kamara role, BRob being the power back.

Sign 3 new OL.

Win SB.

That is all.

:P

Good call on the delayed OC hire. Considered that as well.  Thought maybe they’d chosen to wait on a remaining playoff candidate to stretch the timing out a bit and give themselves more runway. 

Flip side is that Payton is tight with Cowherd, and fed him the Washington info to provide continued leverage in his negotiations with the Cards (his perceived only remaining option among the open jobs).  Wouldn’t surprise me if this is the case.  Don’t see another benefit to Payton making the potential Washington info public. 

Edited by Andre The Giant

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That seems especially important for a dude like Snyder. He knows how many skellys he has in his closet. Maybe we are a week away from another scandal from the past, or another lawsuit being filed against him which would weaken his position and give prospective buyers more power.  He has every reason to want to get this done with the quickness.

Honestly given his track record, we are a bit overdue for a scandal. Been too quiet on that front. Feels... unnatural.

Back to the OC, another issue with the long process is I don't believe they have any kind of idea what kind of O they wanna run.

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

That seems especially important for a dude like Snyder. He knows how many skellys he has in his closet. Maybe we are a week away from another scandal from the past, or another lawsuit being filed against him which would weaken his position and give prospective buyers more power.  He has every reason to want to get this done with the quickness.

Honestly given his track record, we are a bit overdue for a scandal. Been too quiet on that front. Feels... unnatural.

Back to the OC, another issue with the long process is I don't believe they have any kind of idea what kind of O they wanna run.

I think they know exactly what type of O they want to run. I also think the guy they really want is still alive in the playoffs.

• Like 1

I think Snyder is in theory definitely spiteful enough to try to sabotage a bit on the way out. However, we also know that, as a general rule, money is the biggest motivator for him. He was absolutely ironclad about never changing the name, but then when it looked like it would potentially hit him in the pocketbook, he relented. I'm guessing if he has plans to scorch a bit of earth, the idea of a cool $6 billion would probably temper that.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

34 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think Snyder is in theory definitely spiteful enough to try to sabotage a bit on the way out. However, we also know that, as a general rule, money is the biggest motivator for him. He was absolutely ironclad about never changing the name, but then when it looked like it would potentially hit him in the pocketbook, he relented. I'm guessing if he has plans to scorch a bit of earth, the idea of a cool $6 billion would probably temper that.

I’m not going to argue any of that.

But Snyder being spiteful is something I will never just assume is going to go away. 

I won’t be convinced by anything other than the team being sold.

• Like 2