Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

4 hours ago, FrFan said:

Anthony Lynn is in his first season as the 49ers assistant head coach/running backs coach. He joined the 49ers after spending the 2021 season as the offensive coordinator of the Detroit Lions.

The 2021 Lions saw second-year RB D'Andre Swift register career highs in carries (151) and rushing yards (617) while finishing with the second-most receptions on the team (62). Rookie WR Amon-Ra St. Brown led Detroit with 90 catches for 912 yards and five touchdowns.

Ron's even wearing Commanders gear on his off time! That's dedication right there!

• Haha 3

Dan's been cheap in recent years with assistant coaches and if he's selling to boot, I assume this makes Bieniemy unlikely assuming he has options.

I've heard Standig talk about Bieniemy.  He confirmed that he's also heard he's not good in interviews.  Wonder what that means though -- unprepared perhaps?  And the other thing that might weigh against him is the last time he ran an offense, albiet about 10 years ago in Colorado, Colorado's offense was really bad.

Logan Paulsen on the other hand heard good things about Bieniemy inccluding that he holds players accountable and brings energy which he implied was missing here.

I've heard enough beat guys reference the point now to gather that Scott Turner's low key-low energy style was part of the problem in the offensive room.   As i mentioned before, the thing that really struck me the rare times Scott talked is the dude comes off like he had no personality -- and if we thought Norv was low key, Scott makes him look like the life of the party. 

Granted you never know for sure just by watching interviews but to me Scott came off like an uber shy low key dude.  Apparently, that's how he's indeed like in the locker room. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dan's been cheap in recent years with assistant coaches and if he's selling to boot, I assume this makes Bieniemy unlikely assuming he has options.

I've heard Standig talk about Bieniemy.  He confirmed that he's also heard he's not good in interviews.  Wonder what that means though -- unprepared perhaps?  And the other thing that might weigh against him is the last time he ran an offense, albiet about 10 years ago in Colorado, Colorado's offense was really bad.

Logan Paulsen on the other hand heard good things about Bieniemy inccluding that he holds players accountable and brings energy which he implied was missing here.

I've heard enough beat guys reference the point now to gather that Scott Turner's low key-low energy style was part of the problem in the offensive room.   As i mentioned before, the thing that really struck me the rare times Scott talked is the dude comes off like he had no personality -- and if we thought Norv was low key, Scott makes him look like the life of the party. 

Granted you never know for sure just by watching interviews but to me Scott came off like an uber shy low key dude.  Apparently, that's how he's indeed like in the locker room. 

So they could low ball EB offering him OC. He needs an opportunity to prove himself away from the Walrus. 

Commanders get a new look, more energy, players held accountable, probably semi conservative play calling 

Match made in h...

8 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

So they could low ball EB offering him OC. He needs an opportunity to prove himself away from the Walrus. 

Commanders get a new look, more energy, players held accountable, probably semi conservative play calling 

Match made in h...

They can low ball him but that’s assuming no one else among the many other teams potentially interviewing him offers a job 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They can low ball him but that’s assuming no one else among the many other teams potentially interviewing him offers a job 

Agreed and if they don't get him, they go after someone else, probably Lynn. Or so it seems. I don't see them making a big offer to an OC this year

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I took these notes yesterday from Keim's summary on the OC search but add Lynn since that was reported late.  I think the question is are the Ravens or Titans better opps for him?  Don't know but if wants the ability to craft the entire offensive scheme, make his mark with success, seems like Washington would be a good gig.  Plus his familiarity with RR and it's not a given RR is out of here if they win next year.  Just my 2 cents.

• Bieniemy interview is going to delay any announcement to after the Superbowl
  • Doesn't think Bieniemy was a legitimate candidate until the last week or so
  • Shurmur has experience in multiple offensive schemes, has worked well with young QB's and mid level QB's
  • Studesville good with run game and protections but setting up a pass game could be a problem
  • Thomas Brown doesn't have experience play calling maybe would have been a better guy in Rivera's first year and not 4th year
  • Zampese - advantage to keeping the same offense for Howell and understands they need to figure how to get skill guys more involved like Terry, others
  • More on Bieniemy - hasn't had the chance to be "the guy", doesn't always call plays etc. but Ravens and Titans could be the competition
  • Paulsen and Adrian Peterson mentioned Bieniemy pushes guys hard, very vocal coach and players need to be ready for that

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Neither do I.  I don't really care too much either.  

Frustrating with a lame duck HC and owner (even though we've weathered 2 decades of lame ownership) 

With RR it's like groundhogs day. We will win 7-8 games with whoever is the OC. No need to pay an OC. Wish they'd take a risk on a young gun

• Like 1

I’d love to see us be the team that gives EB a chance to call plays. I’m sure he has learned a lot working with Reed for all these years. If it doesn’t work out, no problem we are cleaning house next year anyway. And if it does work out, and someone hires him as a head coach next year, I believe we get a draft pick (?). I know people don’t think Snyder will spend the extra money to get him, but a couple million is chump change in the context of a $7 billion sale.

Maybe it’s just me, but I have zero juice for this hire, no matter who it ends up being.

I see and hear, a lot of folks up in arms about this hire.  A lot of rage that we can’t trust Ron to pick a good one, Ron shouldn’t be golfing, etc.

Barring some sort of miraculous run next season, Ron and his entire FO and staff are gone.  I sense there is nobody more aware of that than Ron.  He probably accepted this fate months ago.  You know who else is aware of this?  Everybody he interviews.

I don’t expect any flashy OC signing nor do I expect any splashes in the offseason.  We are essentially in a holding pattern until new ownership is announced.

The only person I feel for in all this is Sam Howell, who is likely better off with the least inspiring hire Zampese, given the circumstances.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I'm not a big fan for Washington choosing Bienemy for OC, even though his reputed"Singletary" tactics on the new members of the Offense mjght actually raise their intensity level.  But from a technical standpoint, it's not clear how much of a role Bienemy had in play-design, and Reid was the guy calling the plays.  

Moreover it's not clear how well his offensive play philosophy would mesh with whatever Washington has in mind for their team's offensive identity in 2023.  (I don't see Bienemy's play philosophy as being all that "run first" -- especially in comparison to the other coaches Washington has interviewed.  Moreover, I wonder how well he'd fit in with the existing coaching staff -- I got the sense he's got a bit of the "my way or the highway" mindset.  Too much candor can create friction -- especially during a losing streak.

If the Washington FO is really serious about a "run first" team identity for 2023 ... they are better off gambling on Studesville than Bienemy.  Studesville routinely develops decent running offenses, has a great experience history,  been an associate OC, and interim HC, has worked with a lot of good OCs/HCs, and likely an easier hire contract-wise than Bienemy. While a decent running game coordinator -- Studesville also  seems sufficiently open-minded about diversifying the offense, even while honoring the "run-first" mindset that the Washington FO is claiming they want to be.  I also think Shurmer and/or Zampese would be a good fits for a conservative, but not too conservative offense.

I'm not certain about Lynn -- he might be too conservative for my tastes.