Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I posted a video about it on the previous page.

OK, yeah that part I knew, the McCoy comment.  I actually posted a few days ago, the response from players to McCoy.    So it didn't feel like a locker room mutiny -- that was the post by someone else that i was referencing.

I don't really have a strong opinion one way or another on Bienemy.  I've read-heard on podcasts mixed things, some positive some negative.  Actually same thing on Shurmur.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I don’t get how you can’t get along with Mahomes, a generational talent. I know not every man sees eye to eye, but this is your job and he is damn good at it. Reid’s offenses have always been great and his system always makes the QBs look good. Now you get a talent like Mahomes and that’s how you get to 2 Super Bowls and 3 championships in 5 seasons. 

The Chiefs losing Bienemy is not a big deal. They’ll be fine without him. My main concern is if we go with Howell this season and the staff gets fired after next season, Howell will have 3 offensive coaches in 3 years. That doesn’t bode well for future QB success.

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Is that really all it would take for the team to mutiny? One player with the team for a single year didn't like him, and he had games where he didn't high-five Mahomes? That overrules 5 years of owning an AFC conference championship slot?

I question whether Bieniemy has skeletons in the closet, but I think you should cut the man a little slack for having a personality on the sideline.

Yep, EB coaches guys hard. Some players just don't like being coached hard.

19 minutes ago, shemp nixon said:

Yep, EB coaches guys hard. Some players just don't like being coached hard.

I don’t anticipate this being an issue here. It tends to be older veterans who push back on hard coaching (Marty in 2001 being the perfect example of this dynamic)

Separately, I bet the Ravens hire Monken over Bienemy. Monken is much more proven as a playcaller and has had success both at the pro level and college level. If you guys remember, he was the OC of that Bucs team with Fitz at the helm that was super explosive on offense

46 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I don’t get how you can’t get along with Mahomes, a generational talent. I know not every man sees eye to eye, but this is your job and he is damn good at it. Reid’s offenses have always been great and his system always makes the QBs look good. Now you get a talent like Mahomes and that’s how you get to 2 Super Bowls and 3 championships in 5 seasons. 

The Chiefs losing Bienemy is not a big deal. They’ll be fine without him. My main concern is if we go with Howell this season and the staff gets fired after next season, Howell will have 3 offensive coaches in 3 years. That doesn’t bode well for future QB success.

Unless Howell really shows something in 23; a new coach likely moving on from him in 24.

Sam likely doesn’t have a long term future here.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I compare Mahomes to Brett Favre— Easy to connect why coordinators and coaches would be frustrated at times with him. 

All for having an OC coach dudes hard, status quo aids with remaining average (70% pool). The “play it safe” formula is tired and old. 

If he’s legit, go get him. 

Based on what I read, Mahomes did get aloin with Beinemy and down played the incident as a "little" disagreement.

Brady had blows ups with McDaniel but at the same time most said those two got along really well.

I don't really have a strong opinion about Bienemy one way or another but its not hard to find there are compeiting narratives about him. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Unless Howell really shows something in 23; a new coach likely moving on from him in 24.

Sam likely doesn’t have a long term future here.

I agree with you first sentence. We have no idea one way or another whether your second sentence is true. We need to give the guy a chance before we write him off.

• Like 2

Bienemy seems like higher-risk, higher-reward.

Shurmur seems like lower-risk, decent but not sky-high reward.

I happen to be bullish on Howell and the offense, including whatever OL revamp takes place over the next few months.

Therefore, I don’t think we need a high-risk hire. Give me Shurmur. Let’s get Howell comfortable and playing at least average, and we’ll win double digit games and go to the playoffs.

2 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Bienemy seems like higher-risk, higher-reward.

Shurmur seems like lower-risk, decent but not sky-high reward.

I happen to be bullish on Howell and the offense, including whatever OL revamp takes place over the next few months.

Therefore, I don’t think we need a high-risk hire. Give me Shurmur. Let’s get Howell comfortable and playing at least average, and we’ll win double digit games and go to the playoffs.

I'm pretty tired of the milk toast offensive play calling that we have had for some time.

And ..I'm not sure where Bienemy is a high risk hire.

Jim Zorn was a high risk hire; Bienemy appears to be a proven talent, innovative play designer with an aggressive style (Credit  Andy) & Superbowl under his belt.

I would love to break the bank for Bienemy.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Based on what I read, Mahomes did get aloin with Beinemy and down played the incident as a "little" disagreement.

Brady had blows ups with McDaniel but at the same time most said those two got along really well.

I don't really have a strong opinion about Bienemy one way or another but its not hard to find there are compeiting narratives about him. 

Yes but one thing that's been clear about McDaniel, he's had multiple blowups with multiple QB's, including the GOAT. Some guys just struggle getting players on the same page as them.

McDaniel's offense only worked with someone who happened to be one of the best to ever throw it. The other guys, he couldn't get his offense to function. He's driven away multiple QB's and never developed anyone.

Thank God McDaniel isn't in the running here, because I'd have zero faith of him developing Howell.

Is Bienemy like McDaniel?

10 minutes ago, dc1 said:

I'm pretty tired of the milk toast offensive play calling that we have had for some time.

And ..I'm not sure where Bienemy is a high risk hire.

Jim Zorn was a high risk hire; Bienemy appears to be a proven talent, innovative play designer with an aggressive style (Credit  Andy) & Superbowl under his belt.

I would love to break the bank for Bienemy.

How is someone who has never called plays before a proven talent?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Curious as to why you think that?

Sam has to sieze the job in training camp and then he probably needs to do well enough in the regular season for the team to consider him the 24 starter. Probably needs to win 6-8 games that Ron usually does.

If Sam doesn’t show that, a new coach isn’t going to build around him. The new coach is going to want his own qb. Probably do everything with the Gm to trade up for one of top 24 qbs.  Plus, team likely to draft a second qb in the lower rounds to compete with Sam.  Unless Sam really balls it in 23; he likely has no long term future here under a new coach.

I think you guys are expecting way to much from Sam. He’s a 5th round draft pick. Ron will have a low tier veteran. Sam will have to beat out that qb to be the opening day starter. Then you are expecting to much in his first season as a starter. He’s going to struggle. Top that his coach is a lame duck. Ron’s going to have a quick hook, if Sam’s not performing.  I doubt any OC is going to make much difference. An oc can’t overcome Ron.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Sam has to sieze the job in training camp and then he probably needs to do well enough in the regular season for the team to consider him the 24 starter. Probably needs to win 6-8 games that Ron usually does.

If Sam doesn’t show that, a new coach isn’t going to build around him. The new coach is going to want his own qb. Probably do everything with the Gm to trade up for one of top 24 qbs.  Plus, team likely to draft a second qb in the lower rounds to compete with Sam.  Unless Sam really balls it in 23; he likely has no long term future here under a new coach.

I think you guys are expecting way to much from Sam. He’s a 5th round draft pick. Ron will have a low tier veteran. Sam will have to beat out that qb to be the opening day starter. Then you are expecting to much in his first season as a starter. He’s going to struggle. Top that his coach is a lame duck. Ron’s going to have a quick hook, if Sam’s not performing.  I doubt any OC is going to make much difference. An oc can’t overcome Ron.

Here we go with the “he’s a fifth round pick” non sense again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Forget the round he was drafted in....Purdy was a 7th rounder, Zach Wilson was a high 1st for the Jets. Look at the difference between them. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'd like to take this 5th rounder (Howell), grab another 5th/6th this year of which there are a few nice possibilities and Dalton. I am a bigger fan of Brissett than most but think he may be out of dans price range. good group giving Howell full opportunity to learn and shine

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

It's not really nonsense. It's truth. I can literally count on one hand the number of Day 3 picks in the last 20 years that became even league average QBs. It's rare and Howell certainly hasn't proven he's one of the few exceptions. It doesn't mean it literally cannot happen, but the odds of him being an exception are small, his margin of error will be small, and he'll have to prove himself quickly or else the team will move on.

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Forget the round he was drafted in....Purdy was a 7th rounder, Zach Wilson was a high 1st for the Jets. Look at the difference between them. 

I think most people will forget Purdy ever existed in 3 years. He's likely the next in a line of Davis Mills, Garner Minshews, Zach Mettenbergers, and various other lower drafted young QBs that teams talked themselves into hoping for a miracle. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Scott got a new jobby

Davante Adams is going to be pissed when TH is lobbing the ball to him

I hope we aren't waiting until EB's season end and he makes a decision on his future. I am getting a little antsy about getting an OC named. The sooner the better to move forward with FA, the draft and the season.