Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

Eric Bieniemy is back at the Super Bowl and back in the NFL hiring cycle

“He’s been a huge part of the success that we’ve had over the last four or five years,” Chiefs chairman and CEO Clark Hunt said. “He’s a great offensive coordinator. [Head coach Andy Reid] and I have both been on record saying he’d make an awesome head coach in the NFL, and I still believe that. I’ve seen his name mentioned in conjunction with a few offensive coordinator opportunities around the league, and I’m not surprised by that, given the success that we had, particularly this year.”

“We’ll see where that goes [with the Colts],” Bieniemy said Monday night. “As far as the offensive coordinator stuff, right now I am where my feet are. And right now I’m focused on helping us to win this game this weekend.”

Commanders Coach Ron Rivera, among others, often uses that same refrain of “being where your feet are.” Bieniemy says he has taken it to heart, especially as his name has surfaced during hiring cycles and amid the NFL’s struggle to diversify its coaching and executive ranks.

...In Bieniemy’s first season as coordinator, Mahomes threw for more than 5,000 yards, was named the league’s MVP and guided Kansas City to its first conference championship game in 25 years. The Chiefs have been in the AFC championship game every year since, and Mahomes has credited Bieniemy for some of his growth as a quarterback, notably through his weekly preparation.

“He’ll make sure you dot all your I’s and cross all your T’s,” Mahomes said. “… Make sure you have an Eric Bieniemy in your life, because he’ll make sure you’re ready to go.”

Although Reid runs the show in Kansas City, Bieniemy has been in lockstep.

Last offseason, the Chiefs overhauled their receiving corps, trading Tyreek Hill to the Miami Dolphins, signing free agents JuJu Smith-Schuster and Marquez Valdes-Scantling, drafting Skyy Moore and later acquiring Kadarius Toney. The moves required tweaks to adjust to the new personnel.

“The coaches and Coach Bieniemy accepted the challenge,” Mahomes said. “We lost an all-time great receiver in Tyreek Hill, someone who did a lot of great things for us, but we got a lot of great receivers in as well. And so Coach Bieniemy and Coach Reid, they went in there and they learned what their strengths were, and we went out there and maximized that this year. And so it takes everybody. It’s not just the players — it’s the coaches, it’s everybody in that building to be in this game.”

Mahomes’s growth has come in tandem with Bieniemy’s, and each has credited the other (and Reid) for the team’s success.

“They’re all on the same page,” Hunt said. “They may have some disagreements, but by the time we get to game day, they’re on the same page, and Patrick almost knows what Eric and Andy are going to call before they call it. When you have that, you have something special.”

The Chiefs’ success has continually raised questions about why Bieniemy hasn’t received a head coaching opportunity.

“It’s so past deserved,” Mahomes said. “He’s done everything the right way. He’s been a part of this offense and this team for so long, holds everybody accountable, is creative in making up plays for us. I don’t know why he hasn’t been hired, but it’s been great for us.”

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

If I'm Bienemy I'd rather go to Baltimore, and I'm guessing the Ravens would pay more, too.

Not sure. I think Baltimore's QB situation could be even more precarious than ours. With the Ravens you have a QB who potentially may not even be with the team this season, and his backup is very mediocre (Huntley making the Pro Bowl is one of the most hilariously stupid things I've ever seen).

Also, how willing and able would Bieniemy be to adapt his system to a running QB who's only a so-so passer, when he's had Mahomes for the past 5 seasons?

I'm guessing you're right and he'd pick Baltimore over us if it came down to it, though I don't think it would necessarily be a slam dunk and he may be hesitant to go somewhere with a QB situation that's so up in the air. If I were him I'd tell them I'm waiting to see how that contract thing goes before committing. He will probably have multiple offers anyway.

• Like 1

Bienemy coming here makes a lot of sense for him. The pay probably won’t be great given the fact that Snyder is on his way out and since there is no mandatory salary cap floor for coaches Snyder has no reason to pony up (except sticking it to potential new ownership or in the case he doesn’t actually sell).

But… If things go as everyone thinks and this team is going to be sold… Bienemy coming here for a year, even for meager pay, is exactly what he would need if he is passed on for HC again this cycle.

If the team has a great season this year he is in the HC cycle again. And this offense blowing up basically guarantees he gets one of those jobs. He has a team that isn’t KC who had a great offense with “only a fifth rounder” as his QB. 

If this team does poorly he can blame it on the ownership situation and he’ll likely very quickly lane elsewhere, maybe even back with KC.

There isn’t much to lose for him coming here. 

And the commitment, good or bad, is basically a year.

For us… him coming for a year and dipping out isn’t fantastic. So we do need to be weary of that. 

This is why teams tend to make their HC their Offensive guy for the most part: no threat of them leaving for a promotion elsewhere and they keep continuity for their QB.

D coaches can win, but they need a QB who is essentially running the show to really survive. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Bienemy coming here makes a lot of sense for him. The pay probably won’t be great given the fact that Snyder is on his way out and since there is no mandatory salary cap floor for coaches Snyder has no reason to pony up (except sticking it to potential new ownership or in the case he doesn’t actually sell).

But… If things go as everyone thinks and this team is going to be sold… Bienemy coming here for a year, even for meager pay, is exactly what he would need if he is passed on for HC again this cycle.

If the team has a great season this year he is in the HC cycle again. And this offense blowing up basically guarantees he gets one of those jobs. He has a team that isn’t KC who had a great offense with “only a fifth rounder” as his QB. 

If this team does poorly he can blame it on the ownership situation and he’ll likely very quickly lane elsewhere, maybe even back with KC.

There isn’t much to lose for him coming here. 

And the commitment, good or bad, is basically a year.

For us… him coming for a year and dipping out isn’t fantastic. So we do need to be weary of that. 

This is why teams tend to make their HC their Offensive guy for the most part: no threat of them leaving for a promotion elsewhere and they keep continuity for their QB.

D coaches can win, but they need a QB who is essentially running the show to really survive. 

Actually, he can still be in this coaching cycle. New owner takes over end of March. Fires Ron immediately and promotes EB from OC to head coach. Gives him a 3 year deal. 

New owner says he wants to start his ownership with his own head coach and decides that EB should get that shot. 

Any grumbling over late firing of Ron Will quickly be muted since EB got the head coaching job.

1 minute ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Actually, he can still be in this coaching cycle. New owner takes over end of March. Fires Ron immediately and promotes EB from OC to head coach. Gives him a 3 year deal. 

New owner says he wants to start his ownership with his own head coach and decides that EB should get that shot. 

Any grumbling over late firing of Ron Will quickly be muted since EB got the head coaching job.

I disagree a new owner does that on day one already in off-season cycle.

• Like 1

The Colts have had second interviews, I believe.  I want Bienemy here too!  @KDawg along with others @HigSkin  Per the artcile below there might be a 3rd round of interviews thus, Bienemy might get another interview.  If EB is not chosen as the HC, the RR bring him on!  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Your Neverending desire to bring Rivera out behind the barn and put him down has you coming up with some pretty crazy scenarios.

I wouldn't call promoting someone already on the staff and hired by Rivera  "getting his own coach"

Rivera will get next year with a new owner and if the team does well and wins a playoff game or two he'll most likely get another, especially if Howell develops and plays well. 

If we're still in quarterback purgatory and or don't make the playoffs he'll be fired with the rest of the staff as the new owner cleans house.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Your Neverending desire to bring Rivera out behind the barn and put him down has you coming up with some pretty crazy scenarios.

I wouldn't call promoting someone already on the staff and hired by Rivera  "getting his own coach"

Rivera will get next year with a new owner and if the team does well and wins a playoff game or two he'll most likely get another, especially if Howell develops and plays well. 

If we're still in quarterback purgatory and or don't make the playoffs he'll be fired with the rest of the staff as the new owner cleans house.

Exactly. It's not a "lame duck" year, it's a hot seat year.

"Lame duck" means it's confirmed you're on your way out and just running out the clock. If Rivera wins a playoff game or two next season, he'll probably be back. He has to put up or shut up: hot seat. Not lame duck.

• Like 3

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/09/travis-kelce-why-am-i-always-open-andy-reid-baby/

Travis Kelce: Why am I always open? Andy Reid, baby

Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce credits coach Andy Reid for most of the success he’s had in Kansas City’s offense.

Asked today why he’s always open, Kelce said it’s because of the architect of the offense.

“Why am I always open? I say it all the time: Andy Reid, baby. Big Red,” Kelce said. “He can dial stuff up at the right time, create some things at the right time, and then on top of that everybody’s doing their jobs. It’s not just a me go out there and get open type play. I’m sure you guys like to think that, but there’s a lot of madness to it, and there’s a lot of guys doing their jobs for the big picture. I’m fortunate that I’m playing here, for sure.”

---

A certain Commies OC interview candidate is conspicuously absent from Kelce's above gushing. Just saying. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

"Lame duck" means it's confirmed you're on your way out and just running out the clock. If Rivera wins a playoff game or two next season, he'll probably be back. He has to put up or shut up: hot seat. Not lame duck.

LOL, the odds of him getting to the playoffs next season, much less winning a game or two are minuscule.  I don’t think we’ll have to worry about that happening.  We’ll probably be our usual 7-10 or 8-9, which will get Ron canned thankfully.  There’s a better chance of us winning less than 7 games next year with essentially a rookie QB then there is winning a playoff game.  You’re right that this is more of a hot seat season rather than a lame duck season, but I’d put the odds of Ron and co. getting fired at 80% or higher.  I might be underselling that number.  Logically, it should be a 90% chance or higher.

Edited by samy316

10 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I could probably quibble with the “lame duck year vs. hot seat year” definition. One would argue they are essentially the same. If you are on the hot seat, or you are a lame duck, and you go 14-3 and make a deep run in the playoffs… things probably change.

Even 11-6 and a decent run probably change that.

What makes things a lame duck or hot seat year is that you are likely on the way out the door. But you aren’t yet.

Having said that: I agree with your overall point. A new owner isn’t going to can Rivera in March. It just doesn’t make any sense whatsoever to fire a respected man who has endured a ton of ****. 

5 hours ago, samy316 said:

LOL, the odds of him getting to the playoffs next season, much less winning a game or two are minuscule.  I don’t think we’ll have to worry about that happening.  We’ll probably be our usual 7-10 or 8-9, which will get Ron canned thankfully.  There’s a better chance of us winning less than 7 games next year with essentially a rookie QB then there is winning a playoff game.  You’re right that this is more of a hot seat season rather than a lame duck season, but I’d put the odds of Ron and co. getting fired at 80% or higher.  I might be underselling that number.  Logically, it should be a 90% chance or higher.

Ron may not even make it the entire season, if he has another usual slow start.

Playoffs?  You are basically going thru the season with first time qb. He’s going to have ups and downs. 

The nfc east sent 3 playoff teams and all 3 won a playoff game. Eagles may be defending Superbowl champs. 

All you can realistically hope for is that Sam shows enough that he enters 24 as the starter or be able to compete for the starting job with whoever the new coach brings in.

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Ron may not even make it the entire season, if he has another usual slow start.

Playoffs?  You are basically going thru the season with first time qb. He’s going to have ups and downs. 

The nfc east sent 3 playoff teams and all 3 won a playoff game. Eagles may be defending Superbowl champs. 

All you can realistically hope for is that Sam shows enough that he enters 24 as the starter or be able to compete for the starting job with whoever the new coach brings in.

You definitely have a point there.  Another 2-4 or 1-5 start, and he’s canned by Halloween.  Slow starts are a staple of Rivera coached teams.

Edited by samy316

Rivera said he's planning to make his decision after (hopefully) speaking to Bieniemy, and has other intriguing options as well, including Dolphins assistant Eric Studesville, who has made his name on the running side of the ball, which is not seen as much in today's NFL.

The Commanders fired Scott Turner after three seasons that were marked by multiple quarterback injuries, which were out of his control, and subpar showings in big games, which may have been more directly controllable.

Rivera said he wants a quick passing game that keeps receivers Terry McLaurin and Jahan Dotson involved, with a strong running attack to complement that.

"What I'm looking for is somebody who can tell me what I think is going to match with the ability to get the ball to our playmakers the way that we need to have it done," he said. "And that's create explosives with the quick passing game off of play action, then taking the occasional vertical shot. Running the football to help create opportunities."

Rivera said he asked owners Dan and Tanya Snyder for permission to extend the offensive coordinator search in the hopes of speaking to more coaches who become available after the Super Bowl, and they were supportive.

Bieniemy obviously is the most intriguing of that bunch.

"From what you're hearing on the grapevine, he's looking for an opportunity to work with a defensive coach," Rivera said. "So I want to see about that opportunity."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, samy316 said:

You definitely have a point there.  Another 2-4 or 1-5 start, and he’s canned by Halloween.  Slow starts are a staple of Rivera coached teams.

Don't let my man's go on another holiday. I can't take anymore "Happy Thanksgiving" like comments. Still one of the dumbest comments Snyder ever made, which is impressive given the guy rarely talks in public.

Rivera on Keim's podcast today.

Keim asked him if they are waiting to interivew more than just Bienemy from this SB -- Rivera was vague but it came off as yes. 

Tying that podcast with another podcast, i am guessing they are waiting to see if Brian Johnson will take that interview and that depends on the Colts HC job. 

He said of the candidates they interviewed so far, they dig that the team has a good defense.  They concurr with Ron about the team's weakness -- I assume that's O line but Ron didn't say it.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim asked him if they are waiting to interivew more than just Bienemy from this SB -- Rivera was vague but it came off as yes. 

Tying that podcast with another podcast, i am guessing they are waiting to see if Brian Johnson will take that interview and that depends on the Colts HC job. 

He said of the candidates they interviewed so far, they dig that the team has a good defense.  They concurr with Ron about the team's weakness -- I assume that's O line but Ron didn't say it.

I think the system Philly runs fits Howell's skill set nicely. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If they have someone else in mind besides Bieiemy, I think it's someone higher up the food chain than Brian Johnson. My guess is that the Chiefs know that Bieniemy is a rockstar, so they're waiting for him to finish his round of interviews and be overlooked as usual. When that happens, they can promote him to HC and continue to pay him cheaply since he's not getting anything better from other teams.

I think Rivera is waiting to interview Andy Reid. Any's gonna need a place to bounce back with after the Chiefs move him out of the way for Bieniemy.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Haha 5

Only if they send us some draft picks or something to compensate. I wouldn't want to get tied down to such an expensive contract. He's at the top 90% of my "pretty okay to not half-bad" range, and I wouldn't pay a penny above $18 million for him normally.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

If they have someone else in mind besides Bieiemy, I think it's someone higher up the food chain than Brian Johnson. My guess is that the Chiefs know that Bieniemy is a rockstar, so they're waiting for him to finish his round of interviews and be overlooked as usual. When that happens, they can promote him to HC and continue to pay him cheaply since he's not getting anything better from other teams.

I think Rivera is waiting to interview Andy Reid. Any's gonna need a place to bounce back with after the Chiefs move him out of the way for Bieniemy.

Source:

image.jpeg.2f3106eafbf15df74a7278d2c81eb91c.jpeg

• Haha 7