Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

1 minute ago, Conn said:

I don’t see how the stakes are high, the entire staff may be swept out by this time next year. This is the least concerned I’ve ever been with a coaching hire, I just want to give Howell the best shop to develop and beyond that, I’m whatever.

100%.  I'm not worried at all about this coaching hire, because the staff almost definitely won't be here past next year.  I'm that way about a lot of upcoming offseason activities coming up here in the not too distant future.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Pro’s to Roman are he will use Howell’s wheels and I thinks that’s gonna be important

Cons with Roman, wide receivers don’t have a good time of it in his system and we’ve got some studs at that position

If Ron wants to run the ball for real, he majors in that.

There was a time when he was talked about as a HC in the league and being one of the ultimate inventive coaches -- he got a lot of credit for the Ravens sort of funky run based team with the QB running and the heavy TE personell sets, etc.  But I know Ravens fans hate him now.

I've been pushing Michael Mayer and to some extent in a trade down Darnell Washington on the draft thread -- if you add Roman, I'd think my dream of those players have a better shot to become reality. :ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

There was a time when he was talked about as a HC in the league and being one of the ultimate inventive coaches -- he got a lot of credit for the Ravens sort of funky run based team with the QB running and the heavy TE personell sets, etc.  But I know Ravens fans hate him now.

I've been pushing Michael Mayer and to some extent in a trade down Darnell Washington on the draft thread -- if you add Roman, I'd think my dream of those players have a better shot to become reality. :ols:

I like the look of Mayer, is it too obvious to compare to Mark Andrews? Feel like Roman could do some serious work with him. Also how far through the draft do you think Mayer goes?

15 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

I like the look of Mayer, is it too obvious to compare to Mark Andrews? Feel like Roman could do some serious work with him. Also how far through the draft do you think Mayer goes?

I think Mayer goes early 20s, Washington goes late 20s in the first.  Heck I could argue Musgrave and Laporta too.  It's actually a good draft to add a Ravens style TE to the mix.

Mayer and Washington can block, too.  Ravens are typically really good at moving the ball -- run game and passing game out of 12, 13, 22 personnel. 

If its Roman, no way i think he'd be satisfied

As far as Andrews goes, Anders is more athletic than Mayer.  Mayer is bigger, 260 plus pounds, the better blocker.   He's more the size of Gronk.  Contested catches, gets open underneath-finds the seam, red zone guy who can block with the best of them.  

If its a Mark Andrews clone, I think Musgrave is closer to that style or to a lesser extent Sam Laports.  Or maybe Andrews is sort of a mix between Mayer and Andrews.

But overall the first-2nd round range screams getting a difference making TE if they are looking for one.  I think Roman would increase the odds its on the table. Probably 2nd.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'd be pretty surprised if Bieniemy comes here, especially as a lateral move. There's so much uncertainty at the moment with regards to the ownership and, by extension, the coaching staff, as well as the QB position.

This - I dont get the appeal of Washington to Bieniemy. He wants to get out from under Reids shadow so he can prove HE can design and run an offense. I totally get that - but if he wants to boost his HC credentials he needs to have a successful season. I like Howells potential, but he has 1 NFL start. If I was Bieniemy and the choice was between Washington/Howell and Baltimore/Jackson I would think Baltimore would be a no brainer (unless they told me they were trading Jackson!)

• Like 3

Just now, MartinC said:

This - I dont get the appeal of Washington to Bieniemy. He wants to get out from under Reids shadow so he can prove HE can design and run an offense. I totally get that - but if he wants to boost his HC credentials he needs to have a successful season. I like Howells potential, but he has 1 NFK start. If I was Bieniemy and the choice was between Washington/Howell and Baltimore/Jackson I would think Baltimore would be a non brainer (unless they told me they were trading Jackson!)

+1.

Even if he gets to be the 100% playcaller. This flaming dumpster is not where you want to do that. I don't get the appeal to anyone who has at least 1 other option, including staying on another staff.

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But overall the first-2nd round range screams getting a difference making TE if they are looking for one.  I think Roman would increase the odds its on the table. Probably 2nd.

Its very early in the process and we have free agency to come yet before the draft as well. Priority number 1 for me on offense is addressing O'Line - we need to add at least two new quality starters in the G-CG area. I am assuming Cosmi fills one of those gaps which means we also need a quality starting RT. Hard to see us addressing all those needs in free agency and that means that O'Line is a serious consideration for the first round pick. 

I don't think you reach based on a need but if it came down to similar grades on say a RT or a TE I am taking the RT.

CB is also a consideration for that first round pick IMO.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Its very early in the process and we have free agency to come yet before the draft as well. Priority number 1 for me on offense is addressing O'Line - we need to add at least two new quality starters in the G-CG area. I am assuming Cosmi fills one of those gaps which means we also need a quality starting RT. Hard to see us addressing all those needs in free agency and that means that O'Line is a serious consideration for the first round pick. 

I don't think you reach based on a need but if it came down to similar grades on say a RT or a TE I am taking the RT.

CB is also a consideration for that first round pick IMO.

No doubt tackle and CB are all the talk for the early picks.  TE is a bit of a darkhorse possibility but its being mentioned on and off by different beat reporters including even Keim recently.  

As for PBA, if the top 3 corners are gone and lets say the top 2 tackles are gone, good shot Mayer is the BPA.    But like you said, its very early in the process.

Tackle and CB are definitely the bigger needs and that's where the bread crumbs take us right now as to what they are thinking considering Ron's rhetoric and what beat reporters have said.   

But I think there is a fighting chance especially if they trade down that a TE might end up BPA -- and while I downplay the chances they take a TE  on the draft thread, I do think there is a dark horse shot they'd consider one.  And my point is if Roman ends up the coordinator, I'd pump up the dark horse chances especially in the 2nd round more than I do right now. 

It's a very good draft for TEs, unusually so IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Pro’s to Roman are he will use Howell’s wheels and I thinks that’s gonna be important

Cons with Roman, wide receivers don’t have a good time of it in his system and we’ve got some studs at that position

I’d counter that Baltimore hasn’t had much talent at WR.  One thing in Roman’s pro column is that he’s successfully proven he can tailor his scheme to his players’ strengths.

I can see the argument on why EB might end up here (ties with Rivera, Super Bowl winning OC), but there are a lot of reasons why he wouldn't come here.  The most obvious reason is the ownership status with the team, and if the staff he's hired to will even be here this time next year.  The other major reason is the QB situation.  He's coming to a team that is planning to go with their 5th Round QB that has only one start and 19 passing attempts.  The O-Line for this team is also lousy at best, so they have to sort that out too with limited financial resources in FA.  The Ravens have Lamar Jackson, a former MVP.  That team makes more sense to go to if you're EB.  All he has to do in Baltimore is work with a dynamic QB, and figure out how to scheme their receivers open.  The Ravens already have a tremendous running game with Jackson and their RB's.  They will definitely upgrade at WR in FA and the draft.  Job security is also crucial.  EB doesn't have to worry about losing his job after 1 season like he would with Washington.  He can get a 5 year deal, and not have to worry about management turnover or staff turnover.  The Ravens are one of the more stable, intelligent and patient franchises in the NFL  If you're EB, it's almost a no-brainer to take the Ravens job.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is a great model if you don’t have an elite QB: dual threat type QB on a rookie deal or cheap in general.  Howell appears to have some Josh Allen power QB run potential in him—Supremely valuable in the red zone, especially inside the 10. I can see Howell being a 8-10td rusher, obviously he must reach level of competency in other areas to get those TD opportunities which we don’t know about yet. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I'd be pretty surprised if Bieniemy comes here, especially as a lateral move. There's so much uncertainty at the moment with regards to the ownership and, by extension, the coaching staff, as well as the QB position.

His situation appears to be unique with the likelihood he’s looking for a 1 year marriage, I imagine, right? 

27 minutes ago, MartinC said:

This - I dont get the appeal of Washington to Bieniemy. He wants to get out from under Reids shadow so he can prove HE can design and run an offense. I totally get that - but if he wants to boost his HC credentials he needs to have a successful season. I like Howells potential, but he has 1 NFL start. If I was Bieniemy and the choice was between Washington/Howell and Baltimore/Jackson I would think Baltimore would be a no brainer (unless they told me they were trading Jackson!)

Fascinated to see where he goes, Ravens there will be more pressure, in Washington if establishes competence he will be celebrated. I’m sure his creative ceiling is through the roof when giving thought to Baltimore. 

Ron 100% will offer all control, has to be enticing and he has a proven track record of leaning on his assistant coaches. 

20 minutes ago, SuperBash said:

Ravens fans were absolutely elated to get rid of Roman.

There’s probably 3 fan bases who like their OC lol 

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

If any OC candidate has a choice, they aren’t choosing here. Our most likely candidates are guys like Bienemy (if Baltimore looks elsewhere, who are running out of options) or a QB coach type who hasn’t been considered for a OC role yet or was passed on. 

This sale is looming over, too.

If a new owner could fire everyone… why sign here right now? No agent is going to let their guy sign that deal unless it has a high guarantee and even then it’s questionable.

There are a ton of dominoes that need to fall still.

26 minutes ago, wit33 said:

His situation appears to be unique with the likelihood he’s looking for a 1 year marriage, I imagine, right? 

Yeah, could be. But if that's the case why would Bieniemy come here? Like @MartinCnoted, if Bieniemy wants to prove his offensive chops and show that he can work at a high level without Andy Reid, why would he choose do so at a situation that's so in flux in so many different ways?

32 minutes ago, wit33 said:

This is a great model if you don’t have an elite QB: dual threat type QB on a rookie deal or cheap in general.  Howell appears to have some Josh Allen power QB run potential in him—Supremely valuable in the red zone, especially inside the 10. I can see Howell being a 8-10td rusher, obviously he must reach level of competency in other areas to get those TD opportunities which we don’t know about yet. 

Yeah I don't mind running an offense that's a bit different.  13 personnel.  22 personnel.  Multiple RBs on the field at the same time. Multiple TEs-with an HB.  RPOs-RO with the QB as a run threat.  Howell clearly is no Lamar Jackson as a runner.  But I am actually intrigued to see something like that here.  At a minimum it would ease some pressure off Howell as he develops.

32 minutes ago, wit33 said:

There’s probably 3 fan bases who like their OC lol 

That became clear to me when I dived into any of these coordinators who have been in the league long enough.    They almost all have loud critics especually among fans on twitter where anger and venting is their prime emotion.    Many will have honeymoon perioids including Roman but eventually it goes south when their team has a bad year

• Like 3