Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

3 minutes ago, Panninho said:

I don't think a new owner would fire anyone that late into the offseason (it will probably take some more weeks until they sort things out). They will plan ahead for sure but probably ride the next season with the current staff and then hopefully bring in a GM to take over that role.

I don't think so, either. I'm just pointing out what the failure point would be.

23 minutes ago, MartinC said:

No - but hopefully Howell will and this is a crucial year in his development. What happens this year with and around Howell will define the next few years for this franchise.

This is far from a throw away year.

HCs pick their QBs. Unless he blows everyone way the new staff will have a new QB selected likely from the deep and good 2024 draft. 

it would take near unprecedented production levels. I don’t see that happening 

The only staff change I could see happening is a GM hired above Ron and then Ron steps down. JDR takes over in the interim 

3 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

HCs pick their QBs. Unless he blows everyone way the new staff will have a new QB selected likely from the deep and good 2024 draft. 

The only staff change I could see happening is a GM hired above Ron and then Ron steps down. JDR takes over in the interim 

What?

Don't get use to this face.  Next post should be similar but with EB's name and then hire.  

20 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Only thing that would make this plan a fail would be if a new owner takes over in late March or April and fires everyone, including Bienemy. If Bienemy is here he positions himself to be the new HC here or somewhere else with success.

If he fails and he is gone next year the entire League chalks it up to "lol Commandos"

I guess if it was a retail store that could happen. But in football, how many good coaches and asst. coaches are left to hire that late in the year after firing everyone? The new owner would let the year play out and get to know their new team first. Next year is the year to make changes. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I guess if it was a retail store that could happen. But in football, how many good coaches and asst. coaches are left to hire that late in the year after firing everyone? The new owner would let the year play out and get to know their new team first. Next year is the year to make changes. 

Yup.

I'm not that one who came up with that theory. I don't think it happens. Never have. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

What has his teams won when he’s an O-coordinator?  Only six double digit win seasons and a trip to the SB.  You know, things this organization is accustomed to.

I was speaking of Baltimore and what he ran there as OC in response to the point total posted. Eric B. has 3 SB's with 2 wins if we go their in last 5 years, double digit wins playoffs every year. Also Baltimore has had pretty stellar D and hof Kicking that won a lot of those games for them.  I like the KC style O versus the boring Baltimore style to boot.

So Ravens didn't want EB.

Or other teams with OC openings. 

Seems like a very risky hire. If Andy is such a huge fan, why is he pushing EB to go to a team where the whole staff will most likely be replaced in one year. And why did he never let him call plays like he did with Doug Pederson? And why is he so eager to get Matt Nagy back calling plays again? 

People are down on Roman, but the Ravens loved him so much at one point that they made him the highest paid OC in the league at 3.5 mil a year. 

If Roman is actually interested in the job, I think Ron's gonna hire him. 

UNLESS EB has been the guy all along and never wanted to go somewhere else and other teams knew that.  Seems like a stretch though.

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Seems like a very risky hire. If Andy is such a huge fan, why is he pushing EB to go to a team where the whole staff will most likely be replaced in one year. And why did he never let him call plays like he did with Doug Pederson? And why is he so eager to get Matt Nagy back calling plays again? 

People are down on Roman, but the Ravens loved him so much at one point that they made him the highest paid OC in the league at 3.5 mil a year. 

UNLESS EB has been the guy all along and never wanted to go somewhere else and other teams knew that.  Seems like a stretch though.

Good points, Hooper but I believe it's the last one and it might be a stretch, but I don't think so.  

51 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

You right on Howell.  Sam would have to probably need to win 8-9 games to go into 24 as qb1. Odds are new coaching staff drafts there own qb.

If Ron stepped down, we would have to go thru Rooney rule. Jack just couldn’t take the job.

Actually Dan should do this. Fire Ron now and hire EB. Give EB a 2 year deal. EB would get chance to show what he can do as head coach. 

I thought about it some more.

A.  I am good with Roman or Bieinemy -- and for different reasons for both.

B.  I got zero angst one way or another.  i think its a one year rental either way.

I think Ron is just for another season.  Some talk radio hosts say Ron survives if they make the playoffs -- maybe so but my gut is Ron quits after next year, regardless. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I thought about it some more.

A.  I am good with Roman or Bieinemy -- and for different reasons for both.

B.  I got zero angst one way or another.  i think its a one year rental either way.

I think Ron is just for another season.  Some talk radio hosts say Ron survives if they make the playoffs -- maybe so but my gut is Ron quits after next year, regardless. 

Wait why are you for Roman? I have only heard bad things really, especially for the receivers. To be fair, I also don't hear a whole lot. Or understand a whole lot.

Now that I think of it I don't even know why I'm allowed here.

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

Still the development of Howell is a thing. At best he shows a new staff he's someone they want to develop a team around (maybe a long shot) or at least someone who has a future as part of their QB room. At worst he gets saddled in a bad offense which doesn't play to his strengths and it sets him back significantly (and players like Dotson have their development slowed as well). 

EDIT - also count me WAY out on the 'fire Ron replace him with JDR thing (and I know/assume you are not saying you want that to happen either). A new owner will be too late in the cycle to make significant changes to the coaching structure/staffing - possibly only moves that would be made is hiring a new CEO to run the business side and a new GM to assess and run the football operations with final say on HC and roster (though Rons contract might be an issue there if it says right now he has final say).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Wait why are you for Roman? I have only heard bad things really, especially for the receivers. To be fair, I also don't hear a whole lot. Or understand a whole lot.

Lamar being run first QB makes a difference. WRs are not going to like less touches than their QB. So sure the WRs are not going to be happy about their OC . Roman will have a QB here who can throw accurately and can run as well. The opposite of what he had with the Ravens.

4 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Lamar being run first QB makes a difference. WRs are not going to like less touches than their QB. So sure the WRs are not going to be happy about their OC . Roman will have a QB here who can throw accurately and can run as well. The opposite of what he had with the Ravens.

Lamar Jackson is a better passer than many seem to be giving him credit for. He threw for 36 passing TD's in 2019 - I would be asking Roman why Jacksons passing production fell (he was still completing mid 60% of his passes though) and how he would structure an offense which doesn't have an elite runner at QB.

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

And they fired the loved one too, was it a mistake hire?!  This is what you call pushing the coach out not what Andy said.  At least 3 of the big plays for KC may have been called by Andy but were put in the game plan by Bien per Andy and others.  His contract is up too, I am sure he could stay if he wanted too, still may. Baltimore just hired new OC.   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Opinions, express yours and defend them if you chose. It's the same goal we just have different views on how to get there.  If you think Roman is a good WR coach post it. Sometimes views change.  If Roman is hired I am in too, I may want EB but he deserves a shot.  I started posting when their was a chance for Dan to be gone and started giving my opinion and could careless before the Snyder news came about.

Allbright had this well over a month ago when it seemed out of the blue, I kinda think Bienemy was always destined to come here. As in, the likeliest outcome in mind for those involved behind the scenes. Probably some back channel communications going on, given Reid and Rivera’s relationship and Reid’s interest in helping out his guy Bienemy. It’s a peculiar situation but one that may work for both parties. 

53 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

@wit33 made a point yesterday that I made weeks back on this thread which is with the exception of a few coordinators, most fan bases crap on their offensive coordinator. 

It's certainly true.  If you want to have a pristine reputation as a play caller, then your best shot at that is don't call plays so people can tout your "potential."  Again few exceptions to that.  Kyle would be one of those exceptions but if you judged Kyle at the time he was let go here -- judging by some on the board and plenty on twitter, Kyle was garbage.

Speaking of Kyle, I recall in 2012 when times were still good, he, Bevell and Roman were regarded that year as the RO innovators.

I recall reading over time Roman as a candidate for HC when hailed as an offensive genius.  Now the Ravens fans don't like him and he's a moron.  But again I am not judging these guys based on that.

I am equally cool with Bienemy or Roman.

But why Roman?

A.  I like how he incorporates the QB with the running game.

B.  He's an outside the box thinker as far as the running game with funky personnel groups -- 13, 22, etc.

C.  I think its an easier way to ease Howell in a system like this -- go some RPO-RO take some pressure off of the passing game and let him evolve kind of like the Eagles did with Hurts.  Hurts threw in the low 400 attempts his first year as a starter and has gradually built to a higher number of reps.  but look at for example the Vikings with Kirk.  they have Delvin Cook yet Kirk throws in the high 500 attempts or more than 600 last year.  I'd rather develop Howell, Hurts style.

D.  If you want to win Ravens-Titans style where you major in running the ball.  Why not hire arguably the best orchastrator of that game?

I can find plenty of material on the internet to rip Roman, EB, or heck even Kyle.  Every offense has flaws, just about every team has down years -- coordinators strengths often are doubled edge swords and are also weaknesses.

If I dig enough I can demonize any coordinator just about as being awful.  So i try to balance the good and bad.  As for Roman, he's a dude as an NFL fan I've paid attention to over the years -- and lol for a good chunk of that tenure he was billed as an innovator - and yeah i am aware the Raven fans feel like he's a moron now.  I also think most coaches overstay their welcome, it gets tired over time and i think that's part of the narrative with Roman. 

https://russellstreetreport.com/2023/01/20/street-talk/even-greg-roman-fans-admit-he-had-to-go/

First And Foremost, The Results

Yes, results. Not how it looks or where the team ranks in passing yards, but the results that matter. The job of the offense is to move the ball, score points, and win games. Roman’s offenses have done that damn well over the years.

In Roman’s first two seasons as Offensive Coordinator, the Ravens ranked 1st and 9th in points-per-drive. The past two injury-plagued seasons, the Ravens offensive efficiency plummeted – all the way down to average. They were 17th this year in points-per-drive, 18th last year. That’s with everything going wrong, the O-line ravaged, the QB missing a quarter of the games, the Running Back corps wiped-out, Rashod Bateman missing games and Marquise Brown dropping passes, etc etc.

With all of that, the Ravens were middle-of-the-pack in scoring. If you add up all the drives and points over the past two seasons, the Ravens are 17th in points-per-drive. Perfectly average. I’m not saying average is the standard: of course it’s not.  But achieving average in the face of all the injuries is actually quite an accomplishment.

And of course, when healthy they were great. 2019 was probably the most fun regular season of my football-watching life.  2020 was less awesome but still very good: top 10 in points-per-drive, a playoff win. In 2021, through 11 games the Ravens were 8-3 and the #1 seed in the AFC, before Lamar got hurt. The first four games of this year the Ravens were a top-5 touchdown-producing offense. The highs for the Greg Roman offense were very high: remember the game vs Indy when Lamar put up 440 yards and 4 TDs?

The floor of the Roman offense in Baltimore was “average”, and the ceiling was the best offense in the league.

That’s pretty good.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Roman is a run game guy but I'm curious if he could scheme something up with our WRs. 

He is a horrible, horrible passing game coordinator. I've been forced to watch the Ravens for years now, due to living in the Baltimore area. Lamar made him look good early, but as teams began to gameplay better against his strengths Roman showed no ability to adjust his schemes. 

The only reason to hire Roman would be to ensure the new owner will clean house at the end of the season. 

• Thumb up 1

I've got to admit, the way teams are avoiding Bieniemy for OC is a surprising development to me. I suppose it might partially be because of how hard he's been pushed as HC material in media. Any team that hires him as an OC and cleans house would get complaints for not picking Bieniemy as the next HC.

But that's a team owner's problem, I'm shocked that its influencing HCs picking their own coordinators.

• Like 1