Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

On 1/27/2023 at 11:39 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Why is he even still here? Just sack the entire offensive staff and let a new OC build it.

It seems pretty common to keep the guys you have until you hire a new one. Let them make a decision on who to keep or replace.

I've heard so many mix things about Bieniemy, not sure what to think.   It should be an interesting because one of the negative things I've heard is he's not a great interview typically.  He clearly works for one of the most inventive offensive minds in the league so just by osmosis that should rub off but arguably it didn't for Matt Nagy but did for Doug Pederson.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've heard so many mix things about Bieniemy, not sure what to think.   It should be an interesting because one of the negative things I've heard is he's not a great interview typically.  He clearly works for one of the most inventive offensive minds in the league so just by osmosis that should rub off but arguably it didn't for Matt Nagy but did for Doug Pederson.

Bieniemy scares me, I just don't trust the AR tree. Most of the coaches already interviewed are more appealing to me.

Also agree that rumors have been he is not a good interview. I mean, how many times have we heard he was the leading candidate for a job, interview and then leave empty handed. 

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Bieniemy scares me, I just don't trust the AR tree. Most of the coaches already interviewed are more appealing to me.

Also agree that rumors have been he is not a good interview. I mean, how many times have we heard he was the leading candidate for a job, interview and then leave empty handed. 

I am mixed about it.  But regardless, i am not sweating it one way or another. 

If am betting positive over negative.  It would be Reid and Rivera are pals.  So if Reid is pushing this in a season that is make or break for Rivera, I'd gather Reid genuinely believes in Bieniemy.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If am betting positive over negative.  It would be Reid and Rivera are pals.  So if Reid is pushing this in a season that is make or break for Rivera, I'd gather Reid genuinely believes in Bieniemy.

Yeah, Reid likes him and has been trying to nudge him out of the nest for years. Issue is, no one buys into his ability to fly. I could see him splat in DC

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So if Reid is pushing this in a season that is make or break for Rivera, I'd gather Reid genuinely believes in Bieniemy.

Then why let him leave for a lateral move?

I suppose it could just be that he feels it's the only way he can get out from under his shadow.

I'm still extremely leery about taking on that which andy Reid seems to ve done with, it hasn't worked well in the past but the fact that there's 4 or 5 teams that want to interview him certainly makes it seem like the move has a lot of merit

7 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I suppose it could just be that he feels it's the only way he can get out from under his shadow.

I'm still extremely leery about taking on that which andy Reid seems to ve done with, it hasn't worked well in the past but the fact that there's 4 or 5 teams that want to interview him certainly makes it seem like the move has a lot of merit

Why make a lateral move? By most accounts he doesn’t call plays at least he doesn’t most of the time.  So this would be an opportunity to showcase that he could.

From what I’ve read I do believe Reid genuinely likes him. And head coaches tend to plug their assistants even if they lose him.

Now whether Reid is right is a whole different story.   

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Why make a lateral move? By most accounts he doesn’t call plays at least he doesn’t most of the time.  So this would be an opportunity to showcase that he could.

From what I’ve read I do believe Reid genuinely likes him. And head coaches tend to plug their assistants even if they lose him.

Now whether Reid is right is a whole different story.   

From what I’ve read, the perception league-wide is that KC’s Offensive success is due to Reid.  In order to be seriously considered for a Head Coach position, Bieniemy needs to prove he can do it when he’s running the whole show.

Edited by Andre The Giant
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

From what I’ve read, the perception league-wide is that KC’s Offensive success is due to Reid.  In order to be seriously considered for a Head Coach position, Bieniemy needs to prove he can do it when he’s running the whole show.

Yeah of course Reid is getting the credit it’s his system and from what I understand Reid calls the plays most of the time.

Interesting, Schaffer doesn’t even mention this team 

All this Bieniemy bashing/skepticism that floats around is really something. I don't know if dude would be a great HC, but during the time he's been considered or linked to HC gigs, teams have made some non-sensical hires: Nagy (definitely didn't call plays in KC), Joe Judge, Rhule in Carolina, Kingsbury in AZ ( losing record in college, no record in the NFL), Zac Taylor was the damn QB coach for the Rams when he was hired by Cincy, Adam Gase was hired in Miami when everyone knew the deal about that offense in Denver. He stunk up the joint in Miami (losing record) yet was STILL hired by the Jets. I could go on. This bull**** about needing to be an OC/DC in this league first seems to be selectively applied. And Allbright is no insider. He simply texts Woody Paige (awesome man) and parrots what ol' Woody tells him. Woody is connected like a mafia don.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Because of this: 

5 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Eric B has been interviewed for HC many times and it's either a Rooney rule check the box or they have concerns that he is really the OC, or just Ried's secratary. So it looks like Andy has convinced Eric to go be an OC somewhere to prove himself and he will then get more consideration for HC. 

This might actually be the perfect place fro him for us both. If he comes in and does a great job, the Commanders new owner would have a great guy to replace Ron R with. And outside some magical run next year they will and should replace Ron R. If he does not do well then they can clean him out with the rest of the staff. 

For Eric if he can come in here and do a great job, he will have his choice of HC jobs. If he does not like new ownership or just doesn;t feel it here he will have his choce as he will have shown everyone he can do it. If he fails, then everyone knows it's not happening and they can at least stop wasting his time to satisfy the Rooney rule. Sounds cold be it's a business. 

In fairness, right or wrong Andy has publicly claimed bull**** on Eric not being a playcaller or having much to do with offensive game planning. Is that just Andy plugging his guy or is it real? WIll not know till he steps away from Andy and has to do it himself, with no safety net. 

• Like 2

I think some of Bieniemy's issues are relating and communicating with players.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/lesean_mccoy_claims_chiefs_oc_eric_bieniemy_knows_nothing_about_play_calling/s1_127_37923608

Patrick Mahomes and Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy had a heated exchange on the field just before halftime on Sunday, and one former Chiefs player was not at all surprised to see it.

The Chiefs decided to play things safely to close out the first half after they got the ball at their own 46 with 30 seconds left. A holding call pushed them back to the 36 and they had no timeouts, so Bieniemy called a run play to let the clock expire. Mahomes obviously wanted to be more aggressive, and cameras showed him confronting Bieniemy. Head coach Andy Reid had to step in to calm Mahomes down. You can see the video here.

LeSean McCoy, who played for the Chiefs for one season in 2019, was quick to criticize Bieniemy. He wrote on Instagram that the OC frequently argues with players and knows nothing about play-calling.

McCoy obviously does not like Bieniemy. The former running back said earlier this year that one of the reasons Bieniemy is not a head coach is that he does not know how to talk to players. Reid responded by offering an explanation for why McCoy may not be the biggest Bieniemy fan.

• Thanks 1

I don’t mind Bieniemy at all.  What’s the worst that could happen? He’s been an OC on the best offensive team in football the past five years, working with arguably the best QB in the league the past few years.  Next year is kind of a write off at this point anyways due to new ownership, and most likely a new HC and FO in 2024.  We’re going to be quiet in FA & the draft, so why are people freaking out about the OC position?  

We’re essentially starting a rookie QB next year in a stacked division, with a mediocre at best HC who will likely be a lame duck.  We most likely won’t be a playoff team, and we’ll be beginning a new journey with a brand new owner & FO.  Whatever happens next season won’t be too bad all things considered.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I think some of Bieniemy's issues are relating and communicating with players.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/lesean_mccoy_claims_chiefs_oc_eric_bieniemy_knows_nothing_about_play_calling/s1_127_37923608

Patrick Mahomes and Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy had a heated exchange on the field just before halftime on Sunday, and one former Chiefs player was not at all surprised to see it.

The Chiefs decided to play things safely to close out the first half after they got the ball at their own 46 with 30 seconds left. A holding call pushed them back to the 36 and they had no timeouts, so Bieniemy called a run play to let the clock expire. Mahomes obviously wanted to be more aggressive, and cameras showed him confronting Bieniemy. Head coach Andy Reid had to step in to calm Mahomes down. You can see the video here.

LeSean McCoy, who played for the Chiefs for one season in 2019, was quick to criticize Bieniemy. He wrote on Instagram that the OC frequently argues with players and knows nothing about play-calling.

McCoy obviously does not like Bieniemy. The former running back said earlier this year that one of the reasons Bieniemy is not a head coach is that he does not know how to talk to players. Reid responded by offering an explanation for why McCoy may not be the biggest Bieniemy fan.

But then to counter punch that story, some Chief players, including an ex-Chief player shot McCoy's comments down and pushed Bieniemy.

Feels very mixed on Bieniemy.  Granted its mixed on almost any veteran coordinator.

You hear about his dispute on the sidelines with Mahomes and then also hear according to an article I read about the Ravens interest in him, Mahomes raves about him.

So its really hard for me to get a handle on him.  Plenty positive.  Plenty negative.  In that context, reminds me some of what I read about Shurmur - genius or sucks, depends on what I read.

1 hour ago, Andre The Giant said:

Which to me is BS.  I dont buy that for a second. How many coaches do we see get hired that have minimal to no play calling experience or been an OC/DC in their life?  The fact it keeps getting brought up with Bieinemy is a red herring.  No matter how much Reid and Mahomes vouch for Bienemy's offensive acumen and abilities, it doesn't make a lick of difference. 

I think it's gotta be personality-based.  He might be an acquired taste.  Clearly, he's not persuasive or engaging enough of a guy to make folks overlook anything.  I dont think the reason is about Xs and Os. 

Eric has about as good an X and O's history as anyone, he has difficulty getting jobs b/c of his past baggage. A team has to be comfortable w/ the luggage he brings along with him and given another suitable option, they swing in other directions.

I'm pretty sure his contract is up in KC and if they will not renew it, he has no choice but to take what he can get and settle for not being a HC. If they will renew his contract, he has no reason to leave a good situation where he will get HC interviews year in and year out just for the chance to prop up his resume by lifting what is guaranteed to be a lesser offense and QB situation. Right now his operation is as close to turn key as it gets. The only way he leaves to not be a HC is if KC won't bring him back.

Edited by FootballZombie

Bienemy feels like it would be a major coup for this team.  His resume is not the kind that you usually see for a potential lateral move hire as coaches with his experience usually only take new coordinator jobs after getting fired from head coaching gigs.

Any experienced coordinator would be an upgrade over what we had with Turner, but Bienemy is the dream scenario for me.  A coach who was directly involved in developing Patrick Mahomes and coached for some of the most explosive and innovative offenses of the past decade?  Hell yeah.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

In fairness, right or wrong Andy has publicly claimed bull**** on Eric not being a playcaller or having much to do with offensive game planning. Is that just Andy plugging his guy or is it real? WIll not know till he steps away from Andy and has to do it himself, with no safety net. 

I did see a clip where Andy Reid seemed be trying some sleight of hand.  He seemed to be emphasizing that Bieniemy calls or has called the plays in a literal sense of relaying them to the QB, as opposed to picking the plays and calling them in.  I think the play picking part is the part people care about.

19 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I did see a clip where Andy Reid seemed be trying some sleight of hand.  He seemed to be emphasizing that Bieniemy calls or has called the plays in a literal sense of relaying them to the QB, as opposed to picking the plays and calling them in.  I think the play picking part is the part people care about.

If we can ditch the stupid Turner/Gruden run the ball on 2nd and 13 to "get back on schedule" for 3rd down, then it's an improvement. But for all we know Bieniemy also subscribes to that dumb philosophy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1