Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

Nicki from the WP also guessing the coordinator hire happens at the end of next week

Am guessing part of the urgency is the Senior Bowl happens the week after, we have a bunch of coaches there.  And considering Dan didn't play in FA last year and likely with the ownership in flux won't this year either -- all hands on deck as to milking the draft.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Well the hugest problem that the oc will have is Ron won't let the oc hire their own staff which is why o Connell left in the first place

We don’t know this, though. That could be another reason they want to do this by next week, so they can evaluate assistants on the offensive side of the ball. Who knows 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Well the hugest problem that the oc will have is Ron won't let the oc hire their own staff which is why o Connell left in the first place

OCs dont have their own staff. All the assistants operate under the HC. 

There is this misconception that Coordinators are above position coaches but they actually aren't. They have different responsibilities. There is more prestige being a Coordinator than a position coach when it comes to getting Head Coach jobs sure but there is no OC or DC in the league that has their own "staff". They are all part of the HC's staff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Nicki from the WP also guessing the coordinator hire happens at the end of next week

Am guessing part of the urgency is the Senior Bowl happens the week after, we have a bunch of coaches there.  And considering Dan didn't play in FA last year and likely with the ownership in flux won't this year either -- all hands on deck as to milking the draft.

Keep on hearing Bienemy from Allbright.  Sometimes he's spot on sometimes he off.  It will be interesting to see how this develops.  

8 minutes ago, method man said:

If I'm Rivera, Shurmur would be a no brainer for me if he were willing to come here. Why would I risk hiring a guy without playcalling experience in a must win year?

Shurmur was the first to interview and I think he's the favorite although I'd like to see us go another route but there is some good with Shurmur as OC.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Shurmur was the first to interview and I think he's the favorite although I'd like to see us go another route but there is some good with Shurmur as OC.  

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if we find out that Ron was secretly calling Pat during the season asking him to look at tape and help him with philosophy, the same way he did Hurney. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

He's not my favorite candidate but am cool with him.  As Keim talked about any candidate with miles on their resume as a coordinator will likely have critics because of the ups and downs.  Conversely, the newbee who never called plays has a pristine reputation because its a clean slate.   So if we go with Roman, or Shurmur or name that dude with some miles on them, it will feel less of a sexy hire.  Actually Jay talked about this, too. 

For me, I am cool with every candidate mentioned except Zampese.  It's not that I hate the idea of Zampese but don't love his resume albiet brief as a player caller even though his father was a legend on that front. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Conn said:

We don’t know this, though. That could be another reason they want to do this by next week, so they can evaluate assistants on the offensive side of the ball. Who knows 

Don't have the links handy but I remember one of the reasons KOC staying in DC did not work out after the days of discussions between Rivera and KOC was because KOC had no input on the position coaches. Ron was going to bring in Hoener, Matsko, Turner anyway

2 minutes ago, method man said:

Don't have the links handy but I remember one of the reasons KOC staying in DC did not work out after the days of discussions between Rivera and KOC was because KOC had no input on the position coaches. Ron was going to bring in Hoener, Matsko, Turner anyway

KOC's interview was a sham. Ron wanted to bring in Turner, but knew there was some fan-love for KOC, who had made Haskins -- Haskins! -- look downright promising at year's end. So he gave him an interview, but made the conditions so that KOC basically took himself out of the running and went to sign up with McVay. 

Hope I'm wrong, but don't have a lot of faith that Ron and his buddies are going to make the right hire. These are the same guys that thought they hit pay dirt with Wentz and who seemed to have no clue what they had in Howell until they were basically forced to play him by Taylor. 

The good news is with a new owner, the Washington job is going to be super attractive next offseason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hooper said:

KOC's interview was a sham. Ron wanted to bring in Turner, but knew there was some fan-love for KOC, who had made Haskins -- Haskins! -- look downright promising at year's end. So he gave him an interview, but made the conditions so that KOC basically took himself out of the running and went to sign up with McVay. 

Hope I'm wrong, but don't have a lot of faith that Ron and his buddies are going to make the right hire. These are the same guys that thought they hit pay dirt with Wentz and who seemed to have no clue what they had in Howell until they were basically forced to play him by Taylor. 

The good news is with a new owner, the Washington job is going to be super attractive next offseason. 

So, all that might be true, but KOC also made it pretty known he didn't want to stay and work with Haskins.  Those reports have been out there, and Galdi just brough a few of them up on his podcast in the last couple of days.  

There was actually quite a bit of information both at the time and even more recent that KOC had little interest in staying regardless of what Ron wanted.

I actually think KOC knew exactly what was in front of him with Haskins (RIP), knew that the owner picked him, the team stunk (3-13), they had one offensive weapon, the team was old, and they were entirely entering a rebuild.  I absolutely could imagine a scenario he thought it might not be wise to hitch his wagon to that particular horse.  Was the interview a sham?  Did Ron really want Scott the whole time?  Maybe?  Probably?  Likely?

But 2 things can be true at the same time, and it's also very possible if not likely KOC wanted nothing to do with the situation he knew he was going to inherit as well.  Better to go work for wonderkid Sean for a few years.  

I think if the stories about KOC really not wanting the job weren't out there, I would believe more that the interview was a sham.  With those stories, and clearly some of them are from KOC's side, not just leaked by Rivera, it's a little more difficult to tell...

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

Keep on hearing Bienemy from Allbright.  Sometimes he's spot on sometimes he off.  It will be interesting to see how this develops.  

It's not happening.  

Why in the world would Bienemy take an OC job other than the one he has?  He literally is coordinating the best offense with the best QB for a HOF coach. It's also very likely he'll continue to do that job for another 2-4 weeks.  

This is a really weird one to be out there. 

• Like 2

I think something folks need to keep in mind: the OC who comes here is going to be an OC that has literally no other OC options. Because the situation has exactly zero stability.

The greatest chance is the team finishes around .5000 again next year unless one of 2 things happen:

1. They trade for Lamar Jackson, who stays healthy and plays at a Lamar Jackson type level. 

2. Howell turns out to be the second coming of Steve Young. (I use Young because Howell has some of Young's mobility, is about the same size, and can make all the throws...)

Then an OC would think, "what are the odds they can improve at QB when the current owner is selling the team and probably won't authorize any big money contracts?  Pretty unlikely.  So I've got Howell and a vet and I've got to figure out how to make that work. Wonderful.  That sounds just wonderful."

Absent that, everything is out of the OC's control.  And every OC who's looking at the situation knows it.

So they end up being a .500 team.   And being a.500 team would be fine.  Except.  Dan is selling the team and Ron's in his 4th year. 

So .500 means unemployment in Jan 2024.

No OC with another option is coming here for those reasons alone.  Even if they do a great job with Howell (assuming nothing else changes), it probably won't matter.  Ron is gone, and the new HC will most likely bring in their guy.  

So, whoever comes here basically would have no other OC options.  

Remember Jay Gruden taking the Jax OC job?  Why did he take the OC job for Jax for a lame duck coach and no QB?  Because it was the only job he could get.

This is literally the same situation.  Lame duck coach, no known QB. Only coaches who can't get another job will come here.  Like Jay Gruden.  Hey, wait!  Maybe they should interview Jay! He's an out of work OC who can't get a job.  It would be perfect for him!  I'm starting a movement!  Join my movement! @Skinsinparadise told me if I started it people would follow!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Remember Jay Gruden taking the Jax OC job?  Why did he take the OC job for Jax for a lame duck coach and no QB?  Because it was the only job he could get.

This is literally the same situation.  Lame duck coach, no known QB. Only coaches who can't get another job will come here.  Like Jay Gruden.  Hey, wait!  Maybe they should interview Jay! He's an out of work OC who can't get a job.  It would be perfect for him!  I'm starting a movement!  Join my movement! @Skinsinparadise told me if I started it people would follow!!!!

Listening to Jay on these podcasts I wonder why he is even interested in coaching again.  His life seems to be now about playing golf, drinking beer and watching sports, whenever I listen him talk about stuff like that, I am jealous. 

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Jay on these podcasts I wonder why he is even interested in coaching again.  His life seems to be now about playing golf, drinking beer and watching sports, whenever I listen him talk about stuff like that, I am jealous. 

I think Jay realizes the situation with his brother has made it that much harder for him to get a NFL gig. 

Just now, Hooper said:

I think Jay realizes the situation with his brother has made it that much harder for him to get a NFL gig. 

For sure, he's talked about it.  But he seems to be having quite a lot of fun.  I enjoy listening to the dude, in part because he's usually in a good mood.  In his shoes, i'd stick to retirement.

• Like 1

@Voice_of_ReasonI’m not saying this to argue that he’s coming here or anything, but it seems like it’s not on your radar—Bienemy is being pushed out of KC, they’re done with him. He’ll be elsewhere regardless next year, they only renewed his contract for one year after he didn’t get a HC opportunity last year. Aside from the off-field baggage, it’s one of the red flags that has people concerned—if Reid thought that highly of him he could keep him for the rest of his career, seemingly. Which should be a dream situation for a franchise that would normally have its stud QB’s coordinator plucked for a HC job every couple years. And yet, they want to move on and get fresh ideas in the building. Also reports he’s seriously clashed with some of the players there in recent years. 

Anyways, all that to say that he wouldn’t be choosing a lateral move here (or anywhere else) over staying in KC. They’ve been wanting him to get hired away for ages and seem to be done with him regardless. 

Edited by Conn

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Those who can't ... podcast.  :P

I agree. Jay has a great life.  Probably doesn't HAVE to work again based on the money he was paid to run the ball on every first down for 6 years.  

What is bizarre, he might actually be a good OC for Ron.  He ran too much on early downs (which I think Ron wants to do), but could scheme people open, especially down field.  (That is, when they weren't trying to convince me Ryan Grant was a legitimate NFL receiver...)   I say this with seriousness.  He won't get an interview and wouldn't take the job, but all things being equal ...  he might actually fit.  

I swear, maybe I am starting a movement!

Come Join Us GIFs | Tenor

7 minutes ago, Conn said:

@Voice_of_ReasonI’m not saying this to argue that he’s coming here or anything, but it seems like it’s not on your radar—Bienemy is being pushed out of KC, they’re done with him. He’ll be elsewhere regardless next year, they only renewed his contract for one year after he didn’t get a HC opportunity last year. Aside from the off-field baggage, it’s one of the red flags that has people concerned—if Reid thought that highly of him he could keep him for the rest of his career, seemingly. Which should be a dream situation for a franchise that would normally have its stud QB’s coordinator plucked for a HC job every couple years. And yet, they want to move on and get fresh ideas in the building. Also reports he’s seriously clashed with some of the players there in recent years. 

Anyways, all that to say that he wouldn’t be choosing a lateral move here (or anywhere else) over staying in KC. They’ve been wanting him to get hired away for ages and seem to be done with him regardless. 

It's true, I've been working a ton, so I kindof missed that.  If he is pushed out and unemployed, maybe?  I'd think he would get a better job offer, though.  

If we do take that into account, and say he's available, the other thing which would concern me is Reid is the offensive guy there.  Just like with Leftwhich before this year, it was Bruce Ariens. 

How much is Bienemy and how much is Reid? That would be somewhat concerning.

It has worked in the past to take an offensive genius HC's OCs, and make them a HC: Both Shanahan and Holmgren were Walsh OCs, Reid was actually QB coach for Holmgren, Gibbs was OC for Coryell (going way, way) back, I think both LeFleur and KOC were OCs for McVay at different points.  

But you do have to be a little careful about it.  

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For sure, he's talked about it.  But he seems to be having quite a lot of fun.  I enjoy listening to the dude, in part because he's usually in a good mood.  In his shoes, i'd stick to retirement.

I think you enjoy posting about him on podcasts only because you know it's going to get a reaction from me.  

Ok, maybe not the only reason.... :P

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Those who can't ... podcast.  :P

I agree. Jay has a great life.  Probably doesn't HAVE to work again based on the money he was paid to run the ball on every first down for 6 years.  

What is bizarre, he might actually be a good OC for Ron.  He ran too much on early downs (which I think Ron wants to do), but could scheme people open, especially down field.  (That is, when they weren't trying to convince me Ryan Grant was a legitimate NFL receiver...)   I say this with seriousness.  He won't get an interview and wouldn't take the job, but all things being equal ...  he might actually fit.  

I swear, maybe I am starting a movement!

Come Join Us GIFs | Tenor

Breaking barriers.    First the Berlin Wall comes down and now this.  

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, method man said:

There were never details about where they disagreed, only that they did not see eye to eye on the direction of the offense. He ultimately asked to speak with other teams which Ron R granted, opening the door for him to get another job. 

It's true Ron had already decided on several assitants but it's not usual for an OC to pick the position coaches. They may have some input but it's not thier choice. Now they may have not agreed on what that looked like but it was never reported that I saw. If it was reported I never saw it. It was aalways more vague that they just did not see the offense the same way. 

Pure speculation on my part - I would think QB might be a bigger sticking point. He may have said I am sticking with Haskins (for what ever reason, Dan most likely), and KOC said no, I am good.