Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

1 minute ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Kyle Shanahan was certainly a nepotism hire. Yes he had some success previously but was head coache ans executive vps son. 

Only one coach under Snyder that didn't hire relatives and cronies? Zorn. 🤣

Shanahan was an OC in Houston before coming here. He was qualified for the job.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, actorguy1 said:

So this is an interesting development.

Rivera and Mayhew have stressed they've won games with a heavy does of the run game. But Caldwell is known for the opposite.

Caldwell is the OC you hire if you want the passing game to flourish at the expense of the run game. His passing scheme supposedly doesn't combine all that well with run plays, but his passing scheme works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Shanahan was an OC in Houston before coming here. He was qualified for the job.

Acrually being qualified has zero to do with nepotism. Remind me again who hired Kyle in Houston to begin with? 🤣

And yall have the balls to say our knowledgeable fan base has the dwindled. 🤭

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Not just qualified, we need to stress that he developed Matt Schaub into a decent QB. Houston's passing offense while he was there was way better than expected.

Once again qualifications have nothing to do with nepotism. Yall are confusing nepotism with cronyism. There has been plenty of that in Ashburn too tho so it's understandable. 

Edited by Captain Wiggles
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Jay is entertaining as hell to listen to, as far as I can tell from the online clips I hear from his radio stuff.

He has the opposite effect on me. He hops on 106.7 and I go to see what the other shows are talking about. When Turner was fired, they had him on and not another beat reporter or 2? Also thought Mike Shanahan on Sheehan's show all the time was radio poison. I don't understand why they think listeners want to hear from these two? Why not Jim Zorn? Or Norv Turner? We don't need Jay Gruden to tell us how Bruce and Dan ran things. That's all out there already. 

3 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Once again qualifications have nothing to do with nepotism. Yall are confusing nepotism with cronyism. There has been plenty of that in Ashburn too tho so it's understandable. 

Doesn't nepotism also imply not qualified? I thought they went together. But maybe just everytime I hear about it it's also clear they weren't qualified.

3 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Of ****ing course he was. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

This franchise. 🙄

It’s not just this franchise - it’s rampant right across the NFL. Hell Bill Belicheck has his son calling defense for him (or probably more accurately calling what Bill tells him to call).

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

My fear is that Rivera and Mayhew are going to hire a Turner clone who favors their crappy 2 to 1 run ratio vision.  These guy are just behind the times when it comes to offensive football

I honestly believe they legitimately don't actually want to do the 2-1 run to pass ratio. They were forced to adopt that style because of the limitations of their QB and OL, and may be forced to do it again if Howell ends up being the starter in 2023, but remember this is the same coach/GM that went out and spent $28 Mil on a QB and drafted a WR in the 1st last off season. You don't do that if you wanna be a ground and pound team.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I honestly believe they legitimately don't actually want to do the 2-1 run to pass ratio. They were forced to adopt that style because of the limitations of their QB and OL, and may be forced to do it again if Howell ends up being the starter in 2023, but remember this is the same coach/GM that went out and spent $28 Mil on a QB and drafted a WR in the 1st last off season. You don't do that if you wanna be a ground and pound team.

It all hinges on the getting the finding the answer at QB.  If they can finally hit on the right guy, they'll be set for the next decade or be forever stuck in the perpetual cycle of mediocrity or below play level at the position

Edited by NoVaSkins21

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

A couple changes and you certainly don't have to be an overloaded rushing team next season.

I thought it was the only way to success w/ the offense we had before this season began due to all the question marks surrounding it, but we are being offered the oppo to plug several of those holes this offseason.

A coach who has some actual success in the passing game would go a long way. You don't have to hope the coach can implement a passing system that works, you can rest easy knowing his passing system does work when run properly, and we never had that with Turner.

Plus with Dot showing he has some ability to contribute at a high level and Samuel recovering from a season where injures literally rendered him unable to get off his couch and get food, your in a better spot at the WR standpoint from the jump. You can actually project decent WR production based on what we have seen on an NFL field, instead of just hope for it.  That is bankable offense.

18 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Acrually being qualified has zero to do with nepotism. Remind me again who hired Kyle in Houston to begin with? 🤣

And yall have the balls to say our knowledgeable fan base has the dwindled. 🤭

So what? I dont care if It’s nepotism as long as they do a decent job. I know so many people who have gone and worked under a parents business and then either taken it over fully or moved on to bigger things…it’s common that being said, id love to nab Bryan johnson from the eagles but hes probably banking on their OC getting a shot somewhere so he can take over play calling duties

Edited by CjSuAvE22

Caldwell will not be the only experienced offensive coordinator/head coach who will turn down Rivera and Mayhew.  Mayhew knows Caldwell very well.

They may be forced to just go with an in-house coach.  Not knowing who the owner will be is an issue and knowing that Ron is a lame duck Head Coach

is also an issue and knowing that they want to prioritize running over passing could also deter some guys for seeking the Offensive Coordinator job in Washington.

I have low expectations right now.  Ron will not be looking for the young innovative play caller.  He let Kevin McConnell go.  Commanders brain trust let McVay go.

Ron is looking for an old timer he can trust who played football during his era.