Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

Scott’s entire career was built by his dad and his dad’s friends.

Just realized that Scott played at UNLV. The coach in the team was John Robinson. Guess who coached for John for a decade at USC and the Rams? Norv

EDIT: Scott’s first college/pro job was Pitt in 2008. Coach then was Dave Wannstedt who coached w Norv at USC and on the Cowboys

Besides his high school OC job, he has literally not gotten a job on his own merit

Edited by method man
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I list about 7 different good choices, including who I do want and somehow a joke about Jay Gruden turns into "clamoring". Lame wiggles, lame.

I'm not clamoring for Gruden at all, but he wasn't a bad OC and is one of our winningest coaches of the last 30 years.

Oh I didn't mean you specifically. Just that he's been mentioned by folks here recently waaaaaaay more than he needs to. 

I'll always like Gruden. One of the few coaches that doesn't seem like a complete asshole. Probably why he didn't work out.  🤭

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Oh I didn't mean you specifically. Just that he's been mentioned by folks here recently waaaaaaay more than he needs to. 

I'll always like Gruden. One of the few coaches that doesn't seem like a complete asshole. Probably why he didn't work out.  🤭

Yeah it seemed like he was little to casual with the players.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

8 minutes ago, method man said:

Just realized that Scott played at UNLV. The coach in the team was John Robinson. Guess who coached for John for a decade at USC and the Rams? Norv

EDIT: Scott’s first college/pro job was Pitt in 2008. Coach then was Dave Wannstedt who coached w Norv at USC and on the Cowboys

Besides his high school OC job, he has literally not gotten a job on his own merit

I mean I'm fine with having doors opened for you because of your name, but you have to develop the skills and the merit along with it.

Take Kyle Shanahan for example. Clearly his dad helped him get work. But he's also blossomed into one of the game's best offensive minds and coaches. He was a real good OC just about everywhere he went(including here contrary to many fan's opinions) and i snow one of the top HCs in the league.

I think people would just prefer Gruden to one of Ron's old cronies, like Mike Schula for example. It doesn't mean there's a clamoring for him.

Personally, I'm in the camp that almost anyone would be an improvement over Turner. It'd be great if it's someone younger without previous Riverboat experience though.

God help us all if Ron really thinks going run heavy is going to result in anything but more mediocrity in the current NFL.

33 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean I'm fine with having doors opened for you because of your name, but you have to develop the skills and the merit along with it.

Take Kyle Shanahan for example. Clearly his dad helped him get work. But he's also blossomed into one of the game's best offensive minds and coaches. He was a real good OC just about everywhere he went(including here contrary to many fan's opinions) and i snow one of the top HCs in the league.

For every Kyle Shanahan, there are way more Chris Polians, Britt Reids, Coy Gibbs (RIP), etc

It is one of the reasons I was rooting for KOC. The guy is entirely self made

• Like 2

2 hours ago, method man said:

"Besides his high school OC job, he has literally not gotten a job on his own merit."

Even that can be questioned, as 6 months before Scott was hired Poppa Norv "generously" donated a healthy sum of money to the schools building fund.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

What do you all think of Mike Lefluer 

I’d take him and hope he keeps learning. Jets fans have some gripes with him but he’s definitely a victim of circumstance. He had their young WR’s running open all season, but the QB circus there was worse than ours even. He had an explosive running game, and then Breece Hall got hurt, and even still they replaced his production pretty admirably with low pedigree JAGs like Ty Johnson and Bam Knight most weeks.

They’re framing his leaving as “mutual” because he had other opportunities out there, but that’s probably just because he’s tight with the HC and they want to help him out. He’s worth a look if he’d be willing to come here, imo. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

"Besides his high school OC job, he has literally not gotten a job on his own merit."

Even that can be questioned, as 6 months before Scott was hired Poppa Norv "generously" donated a healthy sum of money to the schools building fund.

LOL. South County opened a little after I left for college. It would probably have been my base high school had it opened sooner

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I wouldn't mind Lafleur. He comes from that Shanahan/McVay system which I think fits our personnel better anyway.

...is designed to prove to Washington fans that they aren't allowed to have nice things.

13 minutes ago, profusion said:

Stop trying to make Jay Gruden happen. It's not going to happen.

Fetch Mean Girls GIF by Paramount Movies

I think you are misunderstanding this push... it's not Jay Gruden as a coach, it's Jay Gruden as our QB1 

Edited by DiscoBob
More cowbell
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

yeah he’s another guy that was constantly accused of being awful and only where he was because of nepotism, by our fanbase 

Our fanbase isn’t very bright. 

like - quiet on defense loud on offense kinda not bright. 

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Conn said:

I’d take him and hope he keeps learning. Jets fans have some gripes with him but he’s definitely a victim of circumstance. He had their young WR’s running open all season, but the QB circus there was worse than ours even. He had an explosive running game, and then Breece Hall got hurt, and even still they replaced his production pretty admirably with low pedigree JAGs like Ty Johnson and Bam Knight most weeks.

They’re framing his leaving as “mutual” because he had other opportunities out there, but that’s probably just because he’s tight with the HC and they want to help him out. He’s worth a look if he’d be willing to come here, imo. 

Jets also had O-line injuries to key guys like Vera-Tucker, Beckton, and Duane Brown.

When they had Hall and AVT, they were averaging 5.6 ypc - first in the NFL.  They fell to under 4 when those guys got hurt.

We could do a lot worse than him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tshile said:

yeah he’s another guy that was constantly accused of being awful and only where he was because of nepotism, by our fanbase 

"Our fanbase isn’t very bright"

--Mmmm grumble mmmm growl mmmm-

Fans smart not dumb mostly!

Rye no likes when talk bad on him.

Rye no plenty things.

Tile no hurt Rye feelings no more...

Please?

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, tshile said:

Turner is no Shanahan. Shanahan's offenses put up #s with guys like Rex Grossman at QB and Jabar Gaffney at WR. When he had RG3 he completely revolutionized NFL offense with the read option stuff. He was also an outstanding OC in Houston before coming here and was very good in Atlanta as well(28-3 aside, he turned Matty Ice into an MVP QB). 

Turner hasn't done jack before coming here and won't do jack in his next locale. He is a complete nincompoot. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

19 hours ago, MrJL said:

on the other hand they might see it as an audition for guys who would consider a new regime

Maybe if we had a better QB situation. As it is, you've got ownership questions, a HC seemingly pining for the days of Walter Payton, and a 5th rounder with one game under his belt as likely the best option on the roster.

They can find somebody, but the top guys might give it a pass. How often has a new ownership group or GM kept select ACs while letting the HC go? Seems like they always clean house, since they come in with a coaching group in mind.

Edited by profusion

6 hours ago, method man said:

So he a NepoBaby?

• Haha 2