Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

3 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Does the Rooney rule apply here?

Yes, that's a new rule since 2020

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/24/nfl-expands-rooney-rule-to-require-interviewing-a-minority-for-qb-coach-vacancies/

The NFL initially adopted the Rooney Rule in 2003, requiring NFL teams to interview a minority candidate before hiring a head coach. The rule was expanded in 2009 to require NFL teams to interview a minority candidate before hiring a new general manager as well. In 2020 the rule expanded to coordinators, and in 2021 the rule expanded once again to require two minorities to be interviewed for head-coaching vacancies.

Edited by HigSkin

5 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Ron said he wants to run the ball two times for every pass.

So I guess some OC's from the 1980s should plug in their dot-matrix printers and get those resumes sent in.

How about we make in game adjustments and exploit what the defense is giving us??  Novel concept.   🤡

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Ron seems like a great person, but he has said a lot of iffy stuff this year. 

I don’t mean this to sound dickish, but I honestly think he’s just hitting that age where he’s losing his sharpness a little. Everyone ages differently, so someone like Pete Carroll can go into his 70’s not seeming slightly lost in a conversation. But Rivera had the cancer and the chemo and that can take a permanent toll on mental acuity and physical vigor. Some people are never exactly the same, plus age. He’s got that slightly wide google-eyed look many of my relatives started to have as they subtly declined. I’m not saying the guy is ready for the old folks home or anything insulting, just that it takes a special kind of exceptional mental stamina and edge to coach and lead at a top professional level in any field. One lost step is all it takes to be noticeable, especially on a national stage. He’s losing or has lost that, and he was never a football genius to begin with. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, burgngold fan said:

Can we really believe  Ron can pick a good coordinator!  If he’s just going to pick from the tree of past Carolina coaches,  like he’s done with every hire he’s done,

I don't believe he and del rio had ever coached together before.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Conn said:

I don’t mean this to sound dickish, but I honestly think he’s just hitting that age where he’s losing his sharpness a little. Everyone ages differently, so someone like Pete Carroll can go into his 70’s not seeming slightly lost in a conversation. But Rivera had the cancer and the chemo and that can take a permanent toll on mental acuity and physical vigor. Some people are never exactly the same, plus age. He’s got that slightly wide google-eyed look many of my relatives started to have as they subtly declined. I’m not saying the guy is ready for the old folks home or anything insulting, just that it takes a special kind of exceptional mental stamina and edge to coach and lead at a top professional level in any field. He’s losing or has lost that, and he was never a football genius to begin with. 

Yep. And some people just aren't that quick on their feet and say dumb things even though they're not dumb at all. If I'm Ron, I just stop saying much period.

• Like 1

Real talk.  Turner's departure is progress.

But today's press conference with Rob and Martin is concerning:

They doubled and tripled downed with the run first philosophy because it worked for both of them in the past.

We need adaptive thinking..and Ron's influence on the offense template will be damning:

If the game plan calls to run it down their collective throats then let's do it!

If the game plan demands that we attack a corner...then let's do it!.

Hesitation is defeated.  We need to adjust to progress.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

56 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Can't believe I defended this clown for two years. He is an absolutely awful coach. Don't think I've ever disliked a coach more in my ~25 years of being a fan of this club.

Welcome to the club.

Ron may not be awful but he definitely isn't good either. 😕

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

I hear when Turner was notified of his firing, he did a 7-step drop and got his stuff... then did a 7-step drop leaving the building... then did a 7-step drop getting into his car.  People kept yelling at him, "What are you doing?  That serves no purpose given the situation!", but he just kept doin' it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I’m gonna step out on a limb here and give Ron more credit than most are willing to give.

The guy isn’t nearly as inflexible as people here claim him to be. He’s been great at player development IMO.  He slapped the taste out of JDR’s mouth and somehow managed to salvage that situation (which I thought was impossible). 

He cut bait with WJackson. He let Jamin find his way.  He’s letting Wentz go (bad decision to bring him here, but our options were limited at best), and now he’s firing Scott Turner. 

He’s made questionable clock management decisions, etc. But after all this…he still has the ear of those guys in the locker room. 

TLDR: Rivera has some warts, but doesn’t get enough credit for the things he does well. And I personally believe with a solid OC hire and a much improved QB…people will start to change their tune. They will focus less on the play calling and more on this damn good roster he has put together. Just win, baby.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Digger said:

I hear when Turner was notified of his firing, he did a 7-step drop and got his stuff... then did a 7-step drop leaving the building... then did a 7-step drop getting into his car.  People kept yelling at him, "What are you doing?  That serves no purpose given the situation!", but he just kept doin' it.

In theory, that seven step drop gave him enough time to assess if he was going in the right direction.

Personally, I'm glad he made it home safely.

• Haha 2

Just now, dc1 said:

They doubled and tripled downed with the run first philosophy because it worked for both of them in the past.

We need adaptive thinking..and Ron's influence on the offense template will be damning:

If the game plan calls to run it down their collective throats then let's do it!

There's some good stuff here and I believe that when "they" talk about run more, it's still up to interpetation.  A good run game is as much about the types of passes (i.e. play action) as it is number of passes. 

Just now, HigSkin said:

There's some good stuff here and I believe that when "they" talk about run more, it's still up to interpetation.  A good run game is as much about the types of passes (i.e. play action) as it is number of passes. 

I agree. 100%.

However, I still wonder how much of Turner's play calling was influenced by that "interpretation".

1 minute ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I’m happy with a run to pass ratio of 2 to 1 if only we bring Refrigerator Perry out of retirement. If not, then I think we should move towards a more modern nfl offense. 

I wasn't a fan of post 85 Perry.

However, yes, I agree; we should move toward a modern NFL offense.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Can't believe I defended this clown for two years. He is an absolutely awful coach. Don't think I've ever disliked a coach more in my ~25 years of being a fan of this club.

Not even Zorn?

1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Yeah this is a bit of mixed messaging with the noise of wanting to be a power run heavy team and the firing of Turner. He had a bunch of crap to work with at QB and OL for most of the time here. The reality is we need Ron gone too asap, as much as I appreciate his attempts at helping us. Grinding out 17-20 points a game is not gonna cut it.

It would be an absolute hell no to Shula.
Omg, get a clue Ron. 

Get a damn Oline and play modern football please, it includes running the ball well and often. Smh. 

The sale will be my Christmas. Can’t wait for it to happen, will feel a lot better about this

No you will not if the new owner is worse than Snyder 

Edited by KWilliamsAWinfield

23 minutes ago, dc1 said:

Hopefully, once Bienemy is officially signed (after KC is either eliminated or wins the Superbowl) he will get full control of the offense, just like Del Rio has for the defense.

That way Ron can focus on what he does best, player relations, giving out game balls, telling players they made the pro bowl and wasting timeouts.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 4