Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you really care anymore?

Tomel

I don't. At least not very much. I've been disappointed too many years, having started watching skins games in the 50's. This is the first year I really didn't follow the team in the off-season. I've semi-watched (just out of habit) some or part of the preseason games and the first three regular season games. I've multi-tasked this year, just watching in the background and not even waiting until a game is over to turn it off. Haven't bothered with the pre- or post-game shows. Not a chance I'll waste any more money on memorabilia, much less actually attend a game. I'm tired of hearing injuries as an excuse for losing. I saw some stats showing that the team has been one of the most-injured teams for many years now. Can't anybody figure this out -- does the team need to hire some smarter coaches and employees. Are we recruiting or signing too many players with an injury history (I'd rather have a B-list player that's available than an A-list player at an A-list player's salary who's often sitting on the bench. Is our conditioning regime wrong? Is our training schedule so demanding, injuries are more frequent. Surely, someone can figure this out -- or am I the only one who notices there's a pattern.

Well, that's my rant for now. Guess I'll go for a walk, watch a movie, anything but suffer through another Commanders game. Call me when things turn around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb down 1

I watch because it's what I've  done for 50 years.  But I stopped caring long ago.  Now, I admit I find myself rooting against the team.  The more embarrassing the performance the better I feel.  I guess I hope Synder will sell at some point if the team becomes an embarrassment. But I think that ship sailed long ago.  

• Like 9
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Tomel said:

Can't anybody figure this out -- does the team need to hire some smarter coaches and employees. Are we recruiting or signing too many players with an injury history (I'd rather have a B-list player that's available than an A-list player at an A-list player's salary who's often sitting on the bench. Is our conditioning regime wrong? Is our training schedule so demanding, injuries are more frequent. Surely, someone can figure this out -- or am I the only one who notices there's a pattern.

Animated GIF

• Like 1

To some extent I do, yes. I mean, i don’t have trouble sleeping after a loss like I did in high school, since I’ve grown up and realized it’s just a game, and I don’t let losses affect my upcoming week.

However, losing seasons make me sad, mainly cause I want fans to come out and support the team, and I’m aware of how many consistent winning seasons it’ll likely take to get fans back, or to attract new fans. 

I WANT so badly for this team to get back to being relevant. I don’t have the answers on how that happens, im no football expert obviously.

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 3

I still care more so for the players and just enjoy football overall. I've been a fan since I can remember and unless something absolutely insane happens, always will be. 

But like Cooleyfan said, the losses and shellacking's don't affect me much anymore. Yeah, it sucks because want to win and be relevant again but now it's just laughable. The ribbing from family and friends is almost non-existent as if they feel pity for having to endure the torture that is the Commanders. 

• Like 2

I have no real emotion anymore. I mean I'll get frustrated in the heat of the moment but am basically over it right away. And after the game is over, I really don't care anymore. In years past if we lost, I wouldn't even watch football the rest of the week. But nowadays I'm basically on RedZone right away. Heck I switched to RedZone at halftime.

But I still want the team to be good again. Watching RedZone and seeing all these good teams playing high quality competitive games, man I want that for our team. The NFL is awesome but its so much better when your team can at least compete.

• Like 6

I'm getting there.  Yesterday was a big step in that direction.  And this was the first offseason I didn't really pay attention to signings and moves outside of the draft.

I'm watching out of habit and out of FOMO that if they actually have a great game, I'll have missed it.  But I've come to realize that's a silly reason through suffering through games like the past two weeks.  

I've made a deal with myself that I'll watch the Dallas game next weekend and based on how they look, I'm probably going to end up doing something else with Sunday afternoons.  I'll record the games, probably watch them while working on Monday morning just to stay in tune with what's going on.  I don't think I'll be able to completely quit.  I sure as hell am not spending any money on new merchandise or tickets while Dan Snyder owns this team.  

**** Dan Snyder with a rusty tire iron.  The hardest part is that I made a deal with myself a few years ago that no matter how bad this **** gets, no matter how terrible they are, I will ****ing outlast him.  Flat out, just ****ing outlast that miserable piece of **** who's desecrated on something that was once great for so many people.  Either he sells the team or kicks the bucket, but I will still be here to say that I outlasted him.  Even if we somehow won a Super Bowl this year, it'd make me sick to see that miserable piece of **** hoist that Lombardi trophy.  Because if he does, to him, that'll mean that everything he did was worth it.  Everyone he pissed off, everyone he **** on, everyone he's made miserable, he won't give a **** about because he got a Super Bowl trophy.

That's how bad it is; that I don't think I could even 100% enjoy us going all the way because he'd be a part of it.  **** him.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Great thread.

I was going to post something to this degree yesterday, but i did not know if it belonged in any of the thread that were open.  

Yesterday was the first time, possibly ever that I simply turned off my computer, and did not watch the second half.  I am not sure why, but in relation to this topic, i believe that i am in the beginning stages of not caring as much anymore.  I am simply indifferent to how things are.  So many Eagle fans, no home field, however I do not blame anyone, noty a single soul who would sell their tickets at this time.  It is what I would do, tbh.  

9 sacks.  The o line went from a strength to this.  LB play (although, Jamin I understand played well, and he flashed some of that speed yesterday), playing St. Juste out of position, Snyder, what we were to what we are, the gong show and laughing stock of the NFL.  It really does pull at my heart and hurts, and I could not watch that yesterday. (I can not figure out the reason just yet, but it might simply be apathy)

I could never cheer for another team, I watch the other games because it is my fav sport.  

IDK, it is a very weird feeling this morning as I would usually be on this site and reading articles and press releases of what coach and players have to say, but this time I really had no interest.  

On a side note.  The Eagles.  They won the superbowl.  They then had a disaster of a QB situation.  They traded an MVP candidate after he could not handle Nick Foles winning.  They were in a bit of a mess.  Then a funny thing called structure, from the ownership group right on down, with a clear and concise vision, built one heck of a team, in what 4 years!!!

Again I say, the only problem was, is and will continue to be Dan Snyder.  Why you might ask, let me elaborate.  Football, IMO is a sport where coaching is pivotal to the success of your team.  You must have structure and aligned goals in this sport especially.  You cannot hire a coach and have him bring in "HIS" GM and his people, that is not how it works.  Snyder is the only owner that any decent coach's prerequisite to taking the job is that he has control of personal.  It makes no sense.  I understand why coaches want this kind of power because you are what your perception is.  

Owner, President, GM, Coach.  One team, One goal, One vision.  

Mr Snyder, you have drained the passion I have for this team, and sir, that is one heck of an accomplishment because I did not think that was even remotely possible.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Those guys who still dress like hog farmers and wear face paint and go to all of the games fascinate me.  Like how could any human being be that into this franchise after what Snyder has done to it?  We have had one playoff win in 20 years.  Gibbs and the seeming resurgence of the team in 2005, Todd Collins coming in for injured Jason Campbell in 2007 and taking us to the playoffs, RG3's rookie year, and Kirk in 2015-2017 were, IMO, the only highlight years of this team in the last 20 years.  A portion of this fanbase thinks they are still relevant from the dynasty days of the 80s and early 90s.  Not anymore.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No, to be honest. And given what a horrible excuse for a human being our owner is, I sometimes enjoy a bit of schadenfreude when we get embarrassed.

Being a Washington football fan is just like being a heroin addict - you know it's no good for you and you wish you could just stop, but the memory of some incredible highs decades ago that will never return keep pulling you back.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 3

4 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

No, to be honest. And given what a horrible excuse for a human being our owner is, I sometimes enjoy a bit of schadenfreude when we get embarrassed.

Being a Washington football fan is just like being a heroin addict - you know it's no good for you and you wish you could just stop, but the memory of some incredible highs decades ago that will never return keep pulling you back.

WOW what a spot-on comparison…..

• Like 1

I have really disengaged & distanced my self from the team.  I changed the channel before halftime and watch the Bills vs Dolphins & checked out other games.  This team still matters to me, but I refuse to be emotionally involved with them anymore.  I so wish I could be a rabid fan again, but that has left me over the last few years. It just a Groundhog repeat, year after year, except DS has taken us to depths & places I really don't want to be associated with.  He makes it so much worse in every respect.  The thrill is gone, and at my age, I don't see a magical return to caring, or our relevance.  It's too bad because we do have some nice kids playing for us now, here and there, and it's a shame the majority of their careers will be spend playing for this mess of an owner and team.  I don't ever even consider posting in the insomniac or game day threads because I, frankly, don't care that much.  The days of them ruining my day, or week, are looooong gone, and I am happier for it.  I suppose, if a way, it is good riddance as I don't even care.  Apathy is worse than love or hate, and that is really where I am now.    

Edited by Riggo'sRangers

Dan Snyder did the unfathomable - he made me into a lukewarm casual NFL fan.

I became a fan in 1972 when I was 9. I used to watch all the redskins shows (remember “Redskins Sidelines” with Glenn Brenner and Sonny Jurgensen?) and would never miss a game on television, not even a preseason game.  I used to buy those NFL preview magazines and know all the goings on throughout the NFL, from preseason all the way through to the Super Bowl.

This season, I did not watch a single second of the preseason, and really didn’t follow what was happening in the NFL at all.  I did catch the first 2 games just so I can see if anything has changed, although I viewed both of them on recording and not live.  I’m traveling and made no attempt to even catch part of the eagles game- because I really just don’t care anymore, and this is the way it is going to be for me as long as Dan Snyder owns the team.

my wife has asked why I don’t just change my allegiance and root for another team.  I’ve been thinking about it for several years now but find it difficult to do so I’ve just become a casual lukewarm fan.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Csup said:

I watch because it's what I've  done for 50 years.  But I stopped caring long ago.  Now, I admit I find myself rooting against the team.  The more embarrassing the performance the better I feel.  I guess I hope Synder will sell at some point if the team becomes an embarrassment. But I think that ship sailed long ago.  

I watch RedZone now, but I admit that when they pop over to the Washington games I'm hoping something humiliating is happening to Snyder's boys. I know that's horrible, but I can't help it. It's not an intentional feeling...it's just what bubbles up inside me now. He disgraced the organization and team that was so fun and wonderful for me as a child and young adult and he harmed so many innocent people while doing it (which was actually the final straw for me a couple years ago). 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Heck I switched to RedZone at halftime.

But I still want the team to be good again. Watching RedZone and seeing all these good teams playing high quality competitive games, man I want that for our team. The NFL is awesome but its so much better when your team can at least compete.

RedZone is a great way to stay connected to the NFL without needing to stay invested in Snyder. 

53 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Mr Snyder, you have drained the passion I have for this team, and sir, that is one heck of an accomplishment because I did not think that was even remotely possible.

It's fascinating that he's accomplished that feat in less than a generation, isn't it? I would have sworn (and I think I did numerous times) that it would have taken 50 years to ruin this fanbase. He made me eat my words. And it really has very little to do with the failures on the field (to me, at least). It's the way he attains those failures. He loses in very unlikeable ways...smug and condescending. He and his people mistreat their employees, partners, and fans - treat them like a commodity. That mentality and culture became contagious and pervasive. 

45 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Those guys who still dress like hog farmers and wear face paint and go to all of the games fascinate me.  Like how could any human being be that into this franchise after what Snyder has done to it?  We have had one playoff win in 20 years.  Gibbs and the seeming resurgence of the team in 2005, Todd Collins coming in for injured Jason Campbell in 2007 and taking us to the playoffs, RG3's rookie year, and Kirk in 2015-2017 were, IMO, the only highlight years of this team in the last 20 years.  A portion of this fanbase thinks they are still relevant from the dynasty days of the 80s and early 90s.  Not anymore.  

Not only is that loyalty still out there (which I would commend), but those people tend to also be aggressively belligerent against people who don't feel the same way or who see the organization as flawed. "You'll see when Ron gets things humming!" or "Don't come crawling back on the Taylor Train!" and **** like that. Wake up...if you want to keep supporting a bad product despite it being led by a horrible man who's harmed innocent people, fine. But don't gaslight others by pretending he isn't evil or the team doesn't suck. Just say "Hey, I know the team is ****, but I'm loyal and they remind me of my youth" or something. 

36 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

That's the only thing that kept me latching on for a decade or so until the cheerleader tape thing a couple years ago. That was it...I just couldn't keep overlooking all the other things simply to follow a team for some pangs of nostalgia. That's why now it's just easier not to have to talk myself out of the natural exhilarating feeling that comes with those lopsided halftime scores and 35/65 crowd ratios. It's freeing to just let true emotions take over and not have to be like "no wait, Self...I'm supposed to be rooting for this unlikeable nerd, Kirk, and hope that he doesn't choke when throwing to this punk trash-talking jerk, DeSean that we signed after he torched us for 5-6 years as an Eagle."  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sebestian said:

I could never cheer for another team, I watch the other games because it is my fav sport. 

I'm the opposite. I dedicate myself to the Skinmanders for three hours every week with really no emotion, but strictly out of habit.  But have no desire to watch any other games at all, until the paloffs start.

Speaking of, someone needs to resurrect the "paloffs is now" thread.....or do we wait until we're 2-6 for that? 😀

• Haha 4

I care in that I still want then to win. But I don’t care enough to the point where a loss upsets me like it use to.

Like others, I followed this team to the finest detail. But it dies a little every single year.

I am at the point where success would surprises me. This failure that we are, doesn’t surprise me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I'm the opposite. I dedicate myself to the Skinmanders for three hours every week with really no emotion, but strictly out of habit.  But have no desire to watch any other games at all, until the paloffs start.

Speaking of, someone needs to resurrect the "paloffs is now" thread.....or do we wait until we're 2-6 for that? 😀

Honestly, that sounds quite tortuous.  I could never watch Washington games, and nothing else NFL related.  I need to watch other NFL games, to see competent football.  I also love watching the sport, so I could never hold myself to watch nothing but Washington games, because I'd fall out of love with football if that was all I was left to.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

I watch a lot of football, bet on games, play fantasy football and every week I watch every pain staking minute of every game. 

If I would have won anything, maybe I would have been in a better mood yesterday... I actually couldn't watch anything after our game. Turned it off and ran errands. I've been pissy since then. Good Lord I hate this team. 

• Like 1

I haven't watched a full game yet this year. I'm like. I've watched bits here and there but didn't really watched it as I had more interesting stuff to do.

Furthermore, I believe I'm one of those that the rebrand really didn't help. Watching those unis live didn't light a flame or whatever. I'd say they fit the general feeling of the team: "MEH".

Still, even if I don't really care that much right now, if at all, I'm still around and it couldn't take much to get me excited. I just don't see it happening this year.