Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you really care anymore?

Tomel

I can never be a fan of another team.

Get excited for new season but that quickly turns to whatever.

Usually by mid season you know it’s over.

I’ll listen/watch out if habit but turn off pretty quickly and do something else.

I don’t need mid season this year, I already know this season is over at 1-2.

I don’t see a turnaround. Just more if the same. Actually think it will get worse on both sides of the ball as the season goes.

Even worse, we won’t suck bad enough to get that Top 5 pick.

Forever how long Ron is here, we won’t do anything. 2023 will not be any better.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

They are the most visible symbol of my hometown that isn't directly connected to the Federal Government or the nation-at-large and I've been following them my whole life so no real use in stopping now. But I barely feel anything about them outside of vague contempt, primarily pointed at their owner.

They're like an estranged relative - one I've heard a lot of great stories about from their past but have yet to actually see come through in any meaningful way in my lifetime.  

24 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Forever how long Ron is here, we won’t do anything. 2023 will not be any better.

We've had a top 5 pick. We've had multitude of coaches. It won't matter.

People can **** and moan about Ron, but it's not like he did any worse than anyone else here. There is a reason. You can say "Snyder doesn't affect what happens on Sunday!" Well, when literally every single person in the organization changes and the results on Sunday never do, clearly he does affect what happens on Sunday.

That's why I don't care. As long as that little **** owns this team, we will never be even competent. 

Coming into this season I thought maybe we'll in the playoff hunt. Then it occured to me--who ****ing cares? There is a chasm of difference between us and the Chiefs, Rams, Bucs, Packers, Bills et al that really, that it's really just completely pointless. I used to get really angry at losses and watch every minute. This Sunday I watched precisely 0:00.0 seconds of that game. I just don't give a ****.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

The other thing is that because of Snyder and his antics, this team will never be seen as a "lovable loser" type that is endeared by fans of the league overall the way the Cubs were, the Browns, the Bengals, etc etc.....the team that people would root for by default when their own team was out of contention.  Because of Snyder being Snyder, every bad thing that happens to this franchise most people feel they have it coming.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

The post RG3 injury drama was when the apathy settled in for good. The Cousins division win was nice, the Alex Smith story was inspiring 
but my heartrate peaked only when Aaron Donald went full D bag & Heinike's pylon dive that year. Long gone were the Moss 2 TD game on MNF,
 & Sean Taylors blocked FG return in the untimed down game. Absolutely losing my mind in my living room.😆
Emotional attachment is a quirky thing. I spent most of the preseason watching old 80's regular season 'Skins games that I'd just missed out on due to age. And here I was actively cheering for a game winning TD catch by Ricky Sanders as if it were happening live .It was like coming across an old pic of an ex & saying 'See I actually do have good taste'.

Literally the next day I watched the 'Ders v Jags replay after my long time AFC squad lost in the most agonizing 'Redksin' style game I'd ever seen. It was cool to see Wentz to Dotson & Terry, but it was like watching a CFL game or something. I do want the team to do well for the fans that remained, but yes the schadenfreude in regards to embarrassing the Danny is still too delicious to pass up. For me the rebrand may have been a blessing in disguise (just not wks 1&2)

• Like 1

Nah, don't really care anymore. Haven't watched yet this season and don't intend to. I've gotten a few chuckles from the gameday threads here, and of course rooting for Snyder to go away is satisfying.

Otherwise, it's just memories of better days I'd rather not tarnish by paying much attention to what it's become.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Baughlin' said:

Emotional attachment is a quirky thing. I spent most of the preseason watching old 80's regular season 'Skins games that I'd just missed out on due to age. And here I was actively cheering for a game winning TD catch by Ricky Sanders as if it were happening live .It was like coming across an old pic of an ex & saying 'See I actually do have good taste'.

I do that regularly.

Those were well-coached teams and it shows. They played hard and fast and everyone did what they were supposed to do.

A real joy to watch, really.

I don't understand when people say the NFL is faster now.

Watching those old Redskins-Giants game from the 80s-90s, for example, I see plenty of speed and masterful execution.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I was born in May 1992. You guys can do the math around what my experience with this team has been.

Honestly at this point, I feel like the best case scenario is neither VA, nor DC, nor MD give Dan his stadium, he ends up moving the team to St. Louis, and the NFL gives Jeff Bezos an expansion team in DC. Fresh start. No baggage. Let it all go and start anew...

That was my prediction during training camp and I'm sticking to it. St.Louis Commanders sounds about right

• Like 1

Quite frankly...I haven't cared for quite some time and I'm only 35. It's probably been a long time since I had real emotional attachment to the team. I was super hype for 2012 because in 2010/11 I was telling everybody about this qb from Baylor that I was enamored with and wanted us to draft....and we did. And then just like all else, plane flies high for about 30 seconds and then gets shot out of the sky and then bam.. blows up and bursts into glitter. Since then. With everything compiled I just have mentally checked out. Still watch out of habit and hopes that we play good but then I'm reminded how foolish I was to even think that its a possibility. 

I used to be a massive NFL fan until about 5-6 years ago. I kept track of everything and everyone across the league, ran a massive fantasy football league, watched as many games as I could and loved watching the condensed games.I would always watch all of the Washington games though. I even collected all the NFL McFarlane figures and had a massive Redskin collection.  There was hardly a time you didn’t catch me in a Redskin Jersey. 

Dan and this team have worn me down. I don’t watch hardly any NFL games anymore outside of Washington. I’ve sold all my memorabilia and you never catch me in a Washington shirt of any kind. 

It seems like every day there is something about the NFL that is negative. It’s like having a friend that always complains and you either have to tell them to shut up or you’re going to leave. I might have to leave completely.

But, I do admit that it is hard to just turn the other cheek on something that has always been a part of your life or even your identity. I never thought I would become like my dad and only watch Washington, but here I am. The NFL is losing me fast and I don’t know if I’ll be coming back fully. Dan selling and the team being rebranded would be a good start.

I have a lot more fun spending my day with my wife and dogs or playing some music. I’ll continue to watch NFL+ to see the games, but I expect nothing. The day might come that I don’t even do that.

• Thumb up 1

Did Ashton Kutcher’s Punked come out in the ‘90’s? Maybe we are on a long running episode and he will finally come out at an unspecified time [I prefer, the last game of season at half time) and tell us we have been punked. It is the most reasonable explanation for all the crap we’ve put up with over the last 20+ years

Edited by Fan since a Fetus

You know when we stink it up, I am starting to root for us to stink it up more.

Let Dan and the world see just how much of a ****show we are.

If the Dallas game isn’t competitive; then stink it up.

Bumbling Ron will just say, these are kids just learning to play and we got 13 more games.

I want that questioning of the coaches to be more public and you know with each loss, that will be the case.

I find I still care, but if I am honest I probably care more for this board than the team at this point.  The team still provides me a good workout every week as I do push-ups and planks at every commercial break, and I still get excited to see them play well.  I still wear Skins hats primarily because I was given them for birthdays and I still have a rotation of them for when I run.  Lately though, I am almost embarrassed to wear them as I now think the name was racist (something I never thought much less admitted when the name applied to anything other than our history).

At this point fandom is more like a shared experience of suffering.  We have become the "long suffering fans of Washington football."  It has become a kind of badge of honor, kind of like what I imagine being a Cubs or White Sox  fan must be like, except we have a history of winning to remember.  LAtely though, the relevancy of our past glories feels like Al Bundy talking about his high school TD.   

• Like 2

I will not buy any Commander's stuff on any web site or in any stores.  I do not know why I keep watching every Sunday.  

The offensive line stinks and they need to get Flowers back.  He is still out there to be signed by some team.

We need a real General Manager.  We need a new owner.  A lot of people on this board complained all the time about Jay

Gruden but Ron's record as a Head Coach is not good.  Look it up.  Scott Turner is not an offensive guru either.

Spending so much to get Wentz affected how much they spent on defensive players and the offensive line.

I remain a long suffering fan of Washington football.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I'll always care, jus different levels.

Indifference is far worse then anger, but anger ain't healthy...

I saw them in August at FedEx, they trying too hard to distance themselves from the scandals around them in the past...expect them to come back to earth in a year or two...

Wizards Girls now have them beat, no competition anymore...

I've been through a divorce and am in a (much healthier) second marriage. I'd actually argue that anger, and outlets for it, is healthy. And, I co-sign that indifference/apathy is cancer for any type of relationship. 

As for the Redskinettes/CommandForce group...it's just such a shame that it's incumbent on that entity to rebrand and change their marketing and dynamic simply to stop reminding people of what one man ordered/allowed to happen (however you want to classify it). That's a decades-long tradition that is terminated nearly overnight because of one idiot pervert who can't handle being in charge. Sad, pathetic, and disgusting. 

• Like 1

Redskins fan since 1972 and between the losing, name change and watching opposing fans take over the stadium it's becoming increasingly difficult to stay invested. Throw in the league rule changes, replays and other stuff and the overall game has become worse too.

It's also hard to see other teams continue to stay ahead of us even when they switch coaches, QB's, etc....I'm willing to bet that Pittsburgh recovers from losing Big Ben quicker than we can become relevant again. Watching the past two Sundays was embarrassing and shameful as to how unprepared and poorly coached we are. 

Finally, having to read all of the crap that Snyder has been involved adds to the embarrassment and makes me question how much longer I can stay invested in this team. All of my Redskins collectibles, jerseys and hats barely seem relevant anymore so I need to decide how much longer to hold on to much of this stuff. Sad, embarrased and pissed is where I'm at right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I still care to the point where I come here and get my news and latest scoop.  I still care enough to cut the game on every Sunday,  mainly out of habit.  No longer do I get emotionally wrapped up during the game,  if we win I know it's fools gold, if we lose I'm numb to it because it's what we've basically done since the early to mid 90s.  The Golden Era of Joe Gibbs is long gone, a distant memory.  Now we are stuck in Dan Snyder hell, and it looks like he's here for eternity.  

I still hold out hope,  deep down that Snyder is forced to sell, and one of these years the road to the Superbowl will once again run through D.C. 

• Like 1

I went to a festival on Sunday with my wife.  I can't imagine doing that a few years ago.  

The name change, of course, hurt but still I was somewhat on board but it was waning.  When the pathetic attempt at a rebrand came out, that was it.

I was done.  At least as long as Dan Snyder owns the team.

If they do the mascot at least close to competent and Dan is forced to sell and there is an actual plan, see General Manager, then I could hop back on board.  Certainly not with the level of passion I once had but dems the breaks.  I have my memories of my childhood and Gibbs I.

Somebody who does things so cheap, expired airline peanuts, lipstick on pig improvements to the stadium that never equal what was billed, hiring incompetent people and no accountable structure see London's misspelled name, porta potty Sean Taylor tribute, state of Washington mugs, Power Point WordArt logos, wife designed uniforms, etc. etc. and expects the fanbase to support it because it's the NFL and you have no choice.

Wrong, you have a choice.  I am enjoying RZC, I gave up my season tix years ago, no new gear.  Until he is out, I don't care.  I care enough to type this so you might call me a hypocrite, but it's therapeutic.  Like Riggotoni said, I almost enjoy when they fail now, while I feel bad for the players I always feel that maybe it's a step further to end of Snyder's tenure as owner.

Edited by RFK Lives
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I started watching Skins games religiously since 94 but my first game ever watch of them was the 91 SuperBowl because there was so much talk about the Superbowl that week from my elementary school teacher that I had to watch it.  In 94 drafted hired Norv Turner and Drafted Heath Schuler and the media kept going on how he will be the next Troy Aikman since he will be under Norv. I will watch all Michael sports fix every week and every Sunday loss ruined my entire week and didnt feel like watching Sportscenter or other teams. Sometimes I wish I never chose the Redskins at such a young age and instead chose any other team in the NFL to root for minus the Lions or Browns and I would have been better off. 

Now after ever loss I just turn on the other game and it doesnt affect me like before. I get to see how other teams do and can only imagine how fans of these teams feel.

13 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I can never be a fan of another team.

Get excited for new season but that quickly turns to whatever.

Usually by mid season you know it’s over.

I’ll listen/watch out if habit but turn off pretty quickly and do something else.

I don’t need mid season this year, I already know this season is over at 1-2.

I don’t see a turnaround. Just more if the same. Actually think it will get worse on both sides of the ball as the season goes.

I actually think the defense will get better once Chase Young returns but it will only be mediocre at best. This offensive line will make a promising offense into the worst offense in the league. Maybe with that we can get a top 5 pick and a generational QB for once. If that happens I would prefer a Offensive minded head coach and not set the new QB up for failure with a new coordinator after 1 year ala Jason Campbell, RG3, Ramsey and Haskins. All of these guys had changes in offense after 1-2 years and nothing to build on.