Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you really care anymore?

Tomel

I just don't care anymore.

Strange thing is the pathetic state of the franchise has also affected my passion for the NFL in general.

It seems like every other NFL game I watch I marvel at the speed, intelligence and power of other team's players.

Not with WSH, though. There's a huge drop-off in the overall quality of the product I'm watching on my TV.

Maybe that's one reason most NFL owners want Dan to sell the team?

A general feeling of desperation around this long and storied franchise that seems stuck in oblivion for the past 20 years? 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

In the past season or two, I've actually found myself rooting against this team in certain respects.  Like when they get down early, I just want the opponent to hang a 50 spot on them and rub their face in it.  Last two weeks I've been hate-watching...just like, "**** this team, **** this franchise, yeah Wentz take another SACK AGAIN."  Just straight up wishing they'd get buried, pummeled.  

I thought I was the only one that felt that way, I felt weird for feeling that way.  But I can't help it.

I also agree with @El Mexican, if I watch other teams it's so ****ing apparent how far we are from just playing competent football.  Watching a good NFL team execute good football is like enjoying a perfectly cooked filet with a great glass of red wine.  The Commies are a dried McDonald's cheeseburger in the fridge that's 2 days old.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

Boy, as the OP, I'm glad and at the same time sad that I'm not alone in my feelings for what's happened to OUR team. As I mentioned, I started watching the skins in the mid 50's when I was about 10 years old. My grandfather, mother and uncle were big Skins (and Senators) fans -- my uncle even had season tickets. There were a lot of so-so years before the Gibbs era, but for some reason I never felt the team, coaches or team management let me down. I moved to Miami for work and stayed 10 years before moving back to Skins territory. The Dolphins became my 2nd team, but the Skins were always #1. I guess what disappoints me most is that I'm 75 now and it's been 30 years since our last really good playoff run and Super Bowl. I've come to realize that I may not see another great Skins (sorry, Commanders) team. That's basically why I decided I can't really care about OUR team anymore. Life's too short!

Edited by Tomel
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I still care.  It’s how I’m built.  I love football and for the past 30 years, the team I love has held my mental well being hostage 😂.  I have to believe we’ll eventually get it right bc I could never root for another team.

It’ll just make the (hopefully) eventual Super Bowl win that much sweeter, and the party even crazier. You can bet I’ll be going shot for shot with other fans in the streets of DC at the parade :P 

(and yes, everyone, no need to tell me how unlikely this is under Snyder. No **** lmaooooo) 

• Like 1

I only watch the first three drives last week and then the tail end of the game. I used to watch all the games from start to finish. It’s just not worth my sundays anymore. I went on a bike ride with the family in that time and it was a much better experience.

I want the team to win but I know that’s not possible under this ownership.

23 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

It’ll just make the (hopefully) eventual Super Bowl win that much sweeter, and the party even crazier. You can bet I’ll be going shot for shot with other fans in the streets of DC at the parade :P 

(and yes, everyone, no need to tell me how unlikely this is under Snyder. No **** lmaooooo) 

I almost wonder if there would even be a parade in DC. They don’t practice or play here. I dunno just seems like something the team and the city wouldn’t be on the same page with.

2 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I almost wonder if there would even be a parade in DC. They don’t practice or play here. I dunno just seems like something the team and the city wouldn’t be on the same page with.

Giants don’t play or practice in NY, but their parade was in NY twice (probably a moot point anyway, since I don’t see a SB happening in my lifetime)

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Giants don’t play or practice in NY, but their parade was in NY twice (probably a moot point anyway, since I don’t see a SB happening in my lifetime)

NY is a better sports town than DC. Most cities are better at being sports fans than us, really, those with all four major sports anyways.

I've been in disconnect mode for the last 5 seasons. Just too much has gone on besides the pathetic product on the field. I'm a fan of 43 years. Got the B&G pumped into my DNA at 9 years old when Staubach hit Hill in '79 to end the Skins season. Loved the Skins, hated the star, all in one pass. When that kind of passion and hatred happens simultaneously during a Redskins/Cowboys game, I know I was meant for this rivalry and for this team.  Great ride in the 80's and '91, lean years from then on until things have just gotten absolutely out of hand, and quite frankly beyond sad and absurd. The anger and the frustration after absolutely puzzling and embarrassing losses have gone away. I have been conditioned not to care because it has become the norm. It's unbelievable what has happened to this organization and they continue to outdo themselves when it comes to just sheer ineptitude.  I come to this board and to you peeps during the game, after the game, during the week to read the posts and share in whatever emotion is going on at the time, which for the most part is disgust and apathy. I don't post much, but I do read what you folks have to say, and I know I'm not alone with how I feel about what used to be "my team". Glad you all are still here. I know a lot aren't here anymore, and I get it.  I wish no ill will on Dan Snyder. I do believe we will wake up one morning and there will be news alerts that he will sell the team or move the current one and we will get Washington football back even if its on the expansion level, its still a fresh start. Until then, I dont support it for one more second.....

Edited by Scottlo
  • Like 2

I'll always care, jus different levels.

Indifference is far worse then anger, but anger ain't healthy...

59 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Look at what they did to our Redskinettes….

We’re a laughing stock in all facets of the game.

I saw them in August at FedEx, they trying too hard to distance themselves from the scandals around them in the past...expect them to come back to earth in a year or two...

Wizards Girls now have them beat, no competition anymore...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ananoman said:

Dan Snyder did the unfathomable - he made me into a lukewarm casual NFL fan.

I became a fan in 1972 when I was 9. I used to watch all the redskins shows (remember “Redskins Sidelines” with Glenn Brenner and Sonny Jurgensen?) and would never miss a game on television, not even a preseason game. 

I remember Redskin Sidelines.  I was a kid when that was on.  I even attended a few tapings - making my mother drive me to the studio and wait after the show taped  to get autographs from the likes of Rich Milot, Joe Lavendar, George Stark. 

It took Synder about 15 years to transform me from a die hard fan to a person that enjoys watching the team implode on Sundays.  

• Sad 1

I was born in May 1992. You guys can do the math around what my experience with this team has been.

Honestly at this point, I feel like the best case scenario is neither VA, nor DC, nor MD give Dan his stadium, he ends up moving the team to St. Louis, and the NFL gives Jeff Bezos an expansion team in DC. Fresh start. No baggage. Let it all go and start anew...

So here's the thing for me.  Do I still care? Yes, however at the same time i will admit that when the team you root for is in a perpetual state of either mediocrity or stuck in neutral, it lowers my interest in the league overall.  Out of the 3 big sports in America, the NFL seemingly has the best system setup for all the teams to compete on a level playing field, so that just makes it more frustrating that this team hasn't got it right for the past 30 years regardless of players, coaches, management, front office, etc etc......when the team you root for looks like they don't belong on the same level season after season, it definitely takes the enjoyment out of it.  There is no shame in having a handful of down years when you are rebuilding, but when does it stop being "rebuilding" and instead just a constant state of being bad?  

I went from being a "don't talk to me NFL is on" type of fan, to watching this team, maybe catching what the rest of the NFC East is doing, and then just moving onto something else for the rest of my day/night. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I love this team and always will. But I'm not as emotionally invested as I was back in the day, largely because of the humongous stain on our history that Snyder and his minions have inflicted on us. I will not buy merchandise or attend any games soong as he's still owner. Never.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

In the past season or two, I've actually found myself rooting against this team in certain respects.  Like when they get down early, I just want the opponent to hang a 50 spot on them and rub their face in it.  Last two weeks I've been hate-watching...just like, "**** this team, **** this franchise, yeah Wentz take another SACK AGAIN."  Just straight up wishing they'd get buried, pummeled.  

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952cddd47f1e90303b6f

1 hour ago, El Mexican said:

It seems like every other NFL game I watch I marvel at the speed, intelligence and power of other team's players.

Not with WSH, though. There's a huge drop-off in the overall quality of the product I'm watching on my TV.

The speed other teams have compared to Washington is so obvious. Amon Ra St Brown for example runs a sposid 4.5 forty. Fairly standard for a wr nothing super special. Yet he still can't be covered by this ridiculously slow defense.

Even average players have career days versus Washington. Been that way for decades now. It's just sad. 😒

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I care as in I still watch every game, I still get excited before the game and my son and I will still discuss and dissect every game.

But as other have said when we lost I use to not be able to watch football at all. Now I do.

I now longer focus on it the night before or after and I haven't been to a game in 8 years

• Like 1

I find myself watching some games because I'm curious just how theyll screw themselves out of a win. Every game seems as if the other team knows every play we call. The saddest part is I find myself laughing at this inept team sort of how they used to laugh at the keystone cops. Also I NEVER wear any of my gear anymore. Its like its just over.

There is a lot of talent on the team but no one seems to ever be able to shape it into a consistently competitive team. Twilight zone crap.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I'm the opposite. I dedicate myself to the Skinmanders for three hours every week with really no emotion, but strictly out of habit.  But have no desire to watch any other games at all, until the paloffs start.

Speaking of, someone needs to resurrect the "paloffs is now" thread.....or do we wait until we're 2-6 for that? 😀

The Malcomb Kelly thread also.  Those were the best of times. 🤣

• Haha 1