Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington at Detroit ~ It's A Hard Knocks Life

TK
Message added by TK,

image.thumb.png.78666b5ebe4afa84cfd716d51f3cf1fd.png

The loss isn't surprising and the fact our defense played the major role in that, wasn't surprising either. What was surprising was our offense in the first half.

Well, we don't have to worry about that next week.  Even if Philly loses tomorrow to Minny; they will have a field day at PhillySouth stadium next week.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

the offense gave us a chance the second half. The defense has been atrocious all season and last season. Just awful at every level. Rivera might be too dumb to see that del Rio needs to go. 

the D managed about a quarter of decent play from the later second to later third

Just now, Yng Lady88 said:

Imagine if Turner pulled his head out of his ass in the first one. His wishy-washy, conservative, asinine play-calling will handicap this team. Just like it did today.

The difference was Hutch being dinged up in the 2nd half. This would have been a blowout had Hutch stayed healthy

• Thumb down 1

Dug way too big a hole. Can't go down 22-0.

O took a whole half off and looked like one of the worst units I've ever seen to boot.

D got hung out and gassed early and never recovered. Deteriorated as the game progressed

Special teams gave up a big play, provided none and missed a kick

Coaches made some baffling choices out there. No timeouts in freefall. Going for 2 in weird places. Team coming out un-prepped

Failure on every possible level. Coming back when the other team is up huge means next to nothing. They were practically giving us yards at the end, just happy to kill clock.

Plus our only C gets dinged while we play our starters in garbage time

That was horrific game

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

Loss is entirely on the first half offense

Entire team sucked in the 1st half. Offense couldn't do anything. Defense gave up big play after big play. Even Special Teams routinely had bad returns and missed an easy opportunity to down a punt in the 1.

Offense at the very least gave us a chance in the 2nd half.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Conn said:

This game had so much go wrong, so many poor decisions and poor plays. But because it’s the NFL and we have some weapons, we were still in it almost to the end. Unfortunately, setting everything else aside, in the end it’s actually Rivera's poor decision to go for 2 for no reason that keeps us from having a chance to tie it in regulation and go to OT to try to steal a W. That’s really ****ing sad because that’s 100% an unforced error that was totally within his control. And this entire last sequence would have been totally different if it wasn’t a desperation thing down 9 points. 

Yeah, I totally agree.

This is my beef with the analytics folks who think going for 2 when you're down 14 is the right thing to do.  The rationale is you're going to need 3 scores to win if you kick EPs.  And with the probability of a 2 point conversion being about 50%, the odds are greater you can score and get a 2 point conversion rather than have to score 3 times. 

I get the logic.  

I just don't buy it entirely.  

I dunno.  The other side of it is even being down 8, the defense immediately gave up a score to be down 15 again.  We needed a stop, and we never got one.  Then when Slye missed the EP, it was over.  

I think it's on Ron for that decision, but I go back to the first half: It was SO SO SO bad, they dug themselves such a hole, it was a minor miracle they managed to get it to 1 possession.

It's a long season. 

What frustrates me is they completely blew an opportunity to really put their foot on the accelorator in the NFC East. 

Giants are 2-0 (though I don't think they've looked real good doing it).  

The Eagles have a REALLY TOUGH game tomorrow night, then they have to turn around and go on the road in a short week. 

We could have gone into the Eagles game with momentum and a chance to take a good lead in the division..

Now we're just hoping to get out of the first 4 games 2-2 or better. 

Stinks.  They could have won this game. Just played a horrendous first half.    

1 minute ago, SkinsWmsbg said:

Never thought I'd say this but should we consider bringing back Landon Collins to play LB?  I like Forrest too much and McCain and Kurl to replace them with Landon Collins but I like Landon in more of a hybrid role

He would prefer to sit on his couch than play LB.  Which is why he is sitting on his couch.  

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, I totally agree.

This is my beef with the analytics folks who think going for 2 when you're down 14 is the right thing to do.  The rationale is you're going to need 3 scores to win if you kick EPs.  And with the probability of a 2 point conversion being about 50%, the odds are greater you can score and get a 2 point conversion rather than have to score 3 times. 

I get the logic.  

I just don't buy it entirely.  

I dunno.  The other side of it is even being down 8, the defense immediately gave up a score to be down 15 again.  We needed a stop, and we never got one.  Then when Slye missed the EP, it was over.  

I think it's on Ron for that decision, but I go back to the first half: It was SO SO SO bad, they dug themselves such a hole, it was a minor miracle they managed to get it to 1 possession.

It's a long season. 

What frustrates me is they completely blew an opportunity to really put their foot on the accelorator in the NFC East. 

Giants are 2-0 (though I don't think they've looked real good doing it).  

The Eagles have a REALLY TOUGH game tomorrow night, then they have to turn around and go on the road in a short week. 

We could have gone into the Eagles game with momentum and a chance to take a good lead in the division..

Now we're just hoping to get out of the first 4 games 2-2 or better. 

Stinks.  They could have won this game. Just played a horrendous first half.    

He would prefer to sit on his couch than play LB.  Which is why he is sitting on his couch.  

Guy has made a ton of money thanks to Dan. He’s not going to play for what teams would be willing to offer him either