Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington at Detroit ~ It's A Hard Knocks Life

TK
Message added by TK,

image.thumb.png.78666b5ebe4afa84cfd716d51f3cf1fd.png

3 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Signing Wince cost us valuable cap space that probably cost us valuable DL depth. Ionniadis (sp) and Settle would have helped us a lot today. As for JDR, there have been a lot of quality D Coordinators hired over the past few seasons, most notably Dan Quinn. After the first year, JDRs defenses have been mostly garbage. We could and should have dumped him after last year.

What was the alternative at QB? Heinicke? Never gonna happen. He's not a NFL starter and the team knows it. Trubisky? Mariota?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I don't know how anyone can look at the offense and not at least credit them for their adjustments and fighting back in the 2nd half. Carson Wentz has bounced back and put us in a position to win 2 weeks in a row.

The defense hasn't done a goddamned thing to help.

I just mentioned in the defense thread that points-wise, our offense has been doing enough to win most games. We're at least scoring a healthy amount of touchdowns.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

Last time I think I was despondent over this team was probably when they blew the lead and lost in the playoffs in 2012. 

The Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden years taught me to detach emotionally from what the Redskins do on the field week in and week out. The rebrand helped me complete my training. As nice as last week's offensive performance was, it didn't raise my expectations much, and today's loss was disappointing, but I've already let it go. When I was younger, this would have stayed with me until the following game. 

I am exactly the same.  Skins losses bother me minimally now.

I actually only caught a little bit of the game today, but it appears the defense sucks horribly, surprise surprise. 

47 minutes ago, Captain James said:

I just mentioned in the defense thread that points-wise, our offense has been doing enough to win most games. We're at least scoring a healthy amount of touchdowns.

Really?

Like the 1st half with -2 points with the offense on the field?  Where 3 and out, 3 and out, 2 and safety, 3 and out, 3 and out put the defense in a horrific spot and exhausted them?  Thats the offense doing enough?????

Or like the 10 points off turnovers the Jags had(both short fields) , and then a missed FG on the 3 turnovers by the offense, while still only managing 14 points until the 4th quarter?  Without the offense the Jags score 12.

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

Really?

Like the 1st half with -2 points with the offense on the field?  Where 3 and out, 3 and out, 2 and safety, 3 and out, 3 and out put the defense in a horrific spot and exhausted them?  Thats the offense doing enough?????

Or like the 10 points off turnovers the Jags had(both short fields) , and then a missed FG on the 3 turnovers by the offense, while still only managing 14 points until the 4th quarter?  Without the offense the Jags score 12.

The O is the better unit of the two, but people are failing to realize that a lot of the things they have given us in the first two weeks, they have also given away.

And the first half of this week was a prime example. It was one of the worse performances I have ever seen from a football phase. You would have to have the Bears legendary D to resist a complementary O that gives you no rest and negative points. 5 straight three n outs or worse with the safety to start. No drive over 14 yards in the first half. 2 1st downs total. The D got got absolutely hung out to dry. Your taking a bad D unit, constantly putting them on the field and telling them to run gassers. No Bueno. They didn't give up a TD until DET drive 4, and surprise, it was after a 45 second Washington Offensive possession due to a Safety.

Now you gotta rely on a bad to begin w/ and now tired D to somehow hold water to give you a chance in the 2nd half? That's not a winning gameplan right there.

The O would have looked 10x better if their bus didn't show up until halftime. At least they wouldn't have cost us points.

The O looked much better in the 2nd half, but they greatly damaged their own D with what they did in the 1st half. Even though all three phases of are team looked terrible, and despite the fact that the O was the only unit to show some life, this game was on them. They were the catalyst for our downfall vs DET.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

The O is the better unit of the two, but people are failing to realize that a lot of the things they have given us in the first two weeks, they have also given away.

And the first half of this week was a prime example. It was one of the worse performances I have ever seen from a football phase. You would have to have the Bears legendary D to resist a complementary O that gives you no rest and negative points. 5 straight three n outs or worse with the safety to start. No drive over 14 yards in the first half. 2 1st downs total. The D got got absolutely hung out to dry. Your taking a bad D unit, constantly putting them on the field and telling them to run gassers. No Bueno. They didn't give up a TD until DET drive 4, and surprise, it was after a 45 second Washington Offensive possession due to a Safety.

Now you gotta rely on a bad to begin w/ and now tired D to somehow hold water to give you a chance in the 2nd half? That's not a winning gameplan right there.

The O would have looked 10x better if their bus didn't show up until halftime. At least they wouldn't have cost us points.

The O looked much better in the 2nd half, but they greatly damaged their own D with what they did in the 1st half. Even though all three phases of are team looked terrible, and despite the fact that the O was the only unit to show some life, this game was on them. They were the catalyst for our downfall vs DET.

I couldn’t possibly agree more! Obviously the O is well ahead of the D so far, but their abysmal performance in the 1st half absolutely takes the blame in making a struggling unit like the D, worse by wearing them out.

Kudos to the O for coming alive and what seemed like some pretty good adjustments after halftime, but their putrid first half, players AND coach(es), dug too deep of a hole to try and climb out of.

It is nice tho, to have a QB that can give the team a chance to come back from a multiple score deficit. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

This is a spot on assessment. And it’s likely the reason I am so disappointed after the game. If we got into a shoot out and lost, it would be sad but much more manageable.  The first offensive drive it was clear there was no way the game plan was going to work.  But then they kept dropping back with these long developing plays!  Where were the short passes, the bubble screens, the RB screens? Anything to keep Detroit from just pinning their ears back?  How is it that none of our playmakers were given an opportunity in space to make a play and force the Lions defense to adjust to us?

I really hope this was a game that Scott Turner learns from. The adjustments we made at half time should have been made in the middle of the 1st quarter. Our defense isn’t great, but to stick

them on the field after 5 three and outs in a row was gross mismanagement. And they actually held for quite a while before complete collapse. And who could really blame them? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

This is a spot on assessment. And it’s likely the reason I am so disappointed after the game. If we got into a shoot out and lost, it would be sad but much more manageable.  The first offensive drive it was clear there was no way the game plan was going to work.  But then they kept dropping back with these long developing plays!  Where were the short passes, the bubble screens, the RB screens? Anything to keep Detroit from just pinning their ears back?  How is it that none of our playmakers were given an opportunity in space to make a play and force the Lions defense to adjust to us?

I really hope this was a game that Scott Turner learns from. The adjustments we made at half time should have been made in the middle of the 1st quarter. Our defense isn’t great, but to stick

them on the field after 5 three and outs in a row was gross mismanagement. And they actually held for quite a while before complete collapse. And who could really blame them? 

The no. 1 “adjustment” was Hutch getting hurt. Turner has no idea how to handle a dominating pass rush. Reminds me of the games against the Cowboys last year where they couldn’t stop Parsons

14 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

I wondered if he was still in the 15 play script during most of the first half. 

2 minutes ago, method man said:

The no. 1 “adjustment” was Hutch getting hurt. Turner has no idea how to handle a dominating pass rush. Reminds me of the games against the Cowboys last year where they couldn’t stop Parsons

That's not really true:

The only real blemish from the historic performance was a leg injury that forced Hutchinson from the game in the second half. He received medical attention on the sideline before returning to the field, and played through the final whistle.

20 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

And they actually held for quite a while before complete collapse. And who could really blame them? 

Um. No. They held them on the opening drive before the wheels fell off. Detroit then scored on 4 of the next 5 possessions. The only reason they didn't score on 5 straight is they went for it on fourth down instead of kicking a chip-shot field goal. They didn't have another stop until 1:29 in the half. And I think that was because Chark had a drop, if I recall correctly. Then in the 2nd half, when we really needed them to step up, they gave up a 4-play, 75 yard, non-competitive drive.

They were so bad, Swift caught a swing pass, proceeded to burn down, fall over, then sink into the swamp...and STILL scored.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mistertim said:

What was the alternative at QB? Heinicke? Never gonna happen. He's not a NFL starter and the team knows it. Trubisky? Mariota?

Yes TH, some of you act like he was some bumbling idiot out there, your not basing your thoughts with reality. The dude had no TE, no JD, no Gibby, much less all that plus Dotson and we were heading to the NFC east champs before covid ravaged the team and we started a crucial game with a QB that had been here 2 days.

Kept the guys we gave away, save the cap and get more D players and let TH play with the weapons Carson has we are a better team.

You need a complete team. Our record W/L will be no better with Wentz, which kinda of the point isnt it.

Edited by TChaler70
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Please don’t take what I’m about to say as a defence for Dan I will never stick up for that guy ever

But maybe Ron is what Ron’s record in the NFL has always been, mainly losing seasons with Cam Newtons peak dragging him to a Superbowl

Rivera's team had an elite defense at that time as well. It wasn't as elite as the Broncos defense with Wade Phillips but it was much better than what we've seen around here since about 1991.

Naturally, he hires a guy here who turns into Haslett, who also used to be a pretty good DC in Pittsburgh.

It's just how this team rolls. Fail after fail on top of a mountain of consistent fail. The Little Dude has the Wile E Coyote skit down to a science. It keeps on ticking without any of his own involvement whatsoever (reportedly).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Um. No. They held them on the opening drive before the wheels fell off. Detroit then scored on 4 of the next 5 possessions. The only reason they didn't score on 5 straight is they went for it on fourth down instead of kicking a chip-shot field goal. They didn't have another stop until 1:29 in the half. And I think that was because Chark had a drop, if I recall correctly. Then in the 2nd half, when we really needed them to step up, they gave up a 4-play, 75 yard, non-competitive drive.

They were so bad, Swift caught a swing pass, proceeded to burn down, fall over, then sink into the swamp...and STILL scored.

It's no secret that our defense isn't great (read "overrated") but the offense did them no favors in the first half.  We were lucky to not be down by close to 30 points at halftime given the number of 3 and outs.  I put the offensive production on Turner because he did not make one adjustment to try and change things up.  Hopefully, the second half game plan is what we roll with on Sunday against the Eagles.  Otherwise, it will be another long day.

9 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Really?

Yeah really. How about we prevent our opponents from scoring so much. We would have killed for this amount of touchdowns in years past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rex Tomb said:

It's no secret that our defense isn't great (read "overrated") but the offense did them no favors in the first half.  We were lucky to not be down by close to 30 points at halftime given the number of 3 and outs.  I put the offensive production on Turner because he did not make one adjustment to try and change things up.  Hopefully, the second half game plan is what we roll with on Sunday against the Eagles.  Otherwise, it will be another long day.

No one did anything in the 1st half: offense, defense, or special teams. It was a total crap fest in all phases of the game. I have no idea what the did or didn't do the 1st half--nothing was working in any phase. I at least give Turner and the offense credit for lighting things up in the 2nd half. And Wertz has shown a great deal of resilience rebounding from bad stretches to shine. No one on the defense has done that.

There is no excuse for the defense giving up 191 yards rushing, 8 YPC. None. Not the offense, not the special teams, none. They suck. The offense came out like gangbusters, moved the ball up and down the field, the defense responded by giving up 2 long, fast, non competitive touchdown drives in the 2nd half to put the game out of reach. No amount of offense is going to help this crap unit.

• Like 1